A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Completing the whole Camino on multiple trips - different dates

2020 Camino Guides

MEM_Texas

Camino(s) past & future
Walked Sarria to Santiago
Plan: St Jean to Sarria, Santiago to Muxia
Dear Friends,

I walked from Sarria to Santiago this year which was very difficult for me. I believe for some reason I do not know - I must start at the beginning from SJP. My question: will I get another certificate for this stage if I stop at Sarria and take Bus to Santiago? (I have completed this part before). Or must I walk that part again. Thanks

peregrina2000

Staff member
Dear Friends,

I walked from Sarria to Santiago this year which was very difficult for me. I believe for some reason I do not know - I must start at the beginning from SJP. My question: will I get another certificate for this stage if I stop at Sarria and take Bus to Santiago? (I have completed this part before). Or must I walk that part again. Thanks
Hi, MEM,
Welcome to the forum!

To get a compostela, you must walk the last 100 km into Santiago. All the rest is just surplus. So you will either have to repeat that part of the Camino Francés or consider another “last 100 km” options on other caminos — Inglés, Portugués, or Sanabrés. Those are all good options IMO! Buen camino, Laurie

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-Các] 2017, VDLP[Các-Sal] 2018
You would not be eligible for a Compostela if you don’t walk the final 100km into Santiago. Many people break up longer camino routes into sections they do each year so it’s quite possible to get a Compostela for a “whole” camino completed over a series of years as long as the route into Santiago is walked.

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés
Dear Friends,

Hi MEM, congratulations on completing your walk from Sarria to Santiago and receiving your compostela.

You say it was very difficult for you. There is absolutely no need to start again in SJPDP unless, of course, you really want to . . . . ?

There are many caminos to Santiago, and they all have different “beginnings” (lots of info about them on this forum). However, they must ALL end in Santiago if you want to get a compostela, and one MUST walk the last 100 kms, which you have done!

So there is no need whatsoever to do it again if you don’t want to.

Many people like to walk from SJPDP, because they need the time, and the space away from their daily lives, and the physical and mental challenges, which five weeks of walking demands.

But you don’t HAVE to.

Dsavid Keyte

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de San Salavador (2015)
Camino de la Costa (2016)
Camino Lebaniego 2017
I for one can never understand why a Compostela is so important, I have walked a few Caminos but never been to Santiago, except by car. You know what you have walked, why does anyone need a bit of paper, I think the Sellos are great though

MEM_Texas

Camino(s) past & future
Walked Sarria to Santiago
Plan: St Jean to Sarria, Santiago to Muxia
Thank you for all your replies. Warmest regards - Mark

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
I for one can never understand why a Compostela is so important, I have walked a few Caminos but never been to Santiago, except by car. You know what you have walked, why does anyone need a bit of paper, I think the Sellos are great though
Well David, that is a little ironic, as the sellos are stamped on a bit of paper! We're all different, and value things accordingly. I like the sellos too, but admit I scarcely ever look at my old pilgrim passports.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.1%