• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completing the whole Camino on multiple trips - different dates

MEM_Texas

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago
Plan: St Jean to Sarria, Santiago to Muxia
Dear Friends,

I walked from Sarria to Santiago this year which was very difficult for me. I believe for some reason I do not know - I must start at the beginning from SJP. My question: will I get another certificate for this stage if I stop at Sarria and take Bus to Santiago? (I have completed this part before). Or must I walk that part again. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear Friends,

I walked from Sarria to Santiago this year which was very difficult for me. I believe for some reason I do not know - I must start at the beginning from SJP. My question: will I get another certificate for this stage if I stop at Sarria and take Bus to Santiago? (I have completed this part before). Or must I walk that part again. Thanks
Hi, MEM,
Welcome to the forum!

To get a compostela, you must walk the last 100 km into Santiago. All the rest is just surplus. So you will either have to repeat that part of the Camino Francés or consider another “last 100 km” options on other caminos — Inglés, Portugués, or Sanabrés. Those are all good options IMO! Buen camino, Laurie

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You would not be eligible for a Compostela if you don’t walk the final 100km into Santiago. Many people break up longer camino routes into sections they do each year so it’s quite possible to get a Compostela for a “whole” camino completed over a series of years as long as the route into Santiago is walked.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Friends,

Hi MEM, congratulations on completing your walk from Sarria to Santiago and receiving your compostela.

You say it was very difficult for you. There is absolutely no need to start again in SJPDP unless, of course, you really want to . . . . ?

There are many caminos to Santiago, and they all have different “beginnings” (lots of info about them on this forum). However, they must ALL end in Santiago if you want to get a compostela, and one MUST walk the last 100 kms, which you have done!

So there is no need whatsoever to do it again if you don’t want to.

Many people like to walk from SJPDP, because they need the time, and the space away from their daily lives, and the physical and mental challenges, which five weeks of walking demands.

But you don’t HAVE to.

I for one can never understand why a Compostela is so important, I have walked a few Caminos but never been to Santiago, except by car. You know what you have walked, why does anyone need a bit of paper, I think the Sellos are great though

Thank you for all your replies. Warmest regards - Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I for one can never understand why a Compostela is so important, I have walked a few Caminos but never been to Santiago, except by car. You know what you have walked, why does anyone need a bit of paper, I think the Sellos are great though
Well David, that is a little ironic, as the sellos are stamped on a bit of paper! We're all different, and value things accordingly. I like the sellos too, but admit I scarcely ever look at my old pilgrim passports.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back