• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela Craziness!

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
I recently returned from my third Camino.

In October 2012 I collected a compostela. In June 2017 I collected another compostela. Compared to 2012 the Oficina del Peregrino in Santiago in 2017 was a madhouse! I was genuinely shocked by the guards at the entrance, by the lines which stretched beyond the capacity of the new location to accommodate them, by the hours-long wait times!

How.... un-Camino like! Major bummer. :(

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sadly the Camino has become one of the things "to do" and like the running of the bulls, tomato festival etc it can be overwhelmed by , for want of a better word, tourists. Try going to the office in the evenings, or better yet pick a quieter time of year to do it...

Here's a thought, do you need a completion certificate at all, it's just a piece of paper after all and why ruin your memory of a great walk with a frustrating wait in a long line, head to the nearest bar and celebrate your achievement with a cold beer.

Here's a thought, do you need a completion certificate at all, it's just a piece of paper after all and why ruin your memory of a great walk with a frustrating wait in a long line, head to the nearest bar and celebrate your achievement with a cold beer.
Well, for some, especially those for who this is still a religious pilgrimage, the Compostela is much more than a touristy souvenir, or a symbol of physical achievement which can be celebrated with a drink. For some it is also a way to become part of a long tradition of returning home with a symbol from the Cathedral of this pilgrimage. For some it is not a way to create a "memory of a long walk", but a true accreditatation of a pilgrimage to the tomb of St-James.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I, too, finished my second Camino in June. And I, too, stood in line at the new Pilgrims office for over an hour. I had a great talk with a lovely Frenchman who's son works in the US, and a challenging conversation with another person, who decided, justfiably, that I didn't speak his language well enough. Apparently, my Camino did not end at the Cathedral!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that in the busier months, going later in the day is the way to go. I collected my Compostela from the office at 7P.M. (1900hrs) on June 22nd this year. There was no queue at all. I simply walked in and was back out in just a matter of minutes. I know that some people have to go in the morning, but if you don't have to, try later.

In October 2012 I collected a compostela. In June 2017 I collected another compostela. Compared to 2012 the Oficina del Peregrino in Santiago in 2017 was a madhouse! I was genuinely shocked by the guards at the entrance, at the lines which stretched beyond the capacity of the new location to accommodate them, at the hours-long wait times!

I waited in line on May 21st for only 45 minutes this year I guess I should consider myself lucky!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Roughly 35 days average time to walk it with some of the loveliest people to share it with, chats, experiences, good, bad and uglies and waiting an hour is a problem. Really??? Feel privledged you made it and regardless of why you did it, that you were able too. Enough said!!.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thankfully they have many volunteers working to help speed up the process of issuing all those compostelas!
I really wonder about this process that requires so many volunteers and long distance pilgrims standing on painful limbs for so long.

For the painful limbs a ticket as one walks in as one gets at the bakery or butcher's would allow people to sit, rest, and be called up when it's their turn.

But even better, and reducing the number of volunteers, would be mailing in/ emailing in a copy of one's credencial and wait for the Compostela by mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully they have many volunteers working to help speed up the process of issuing all those compostelas!
Yes. I should have thanked the volunteers. Especially @t2andreo, the one person I know who is one there. And he is so helpful on this site too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow indeed. If processing the pilgrims in an eight hour day it would average to a Compostela every 13 seconds.
In the busiest times of the year [like, about now!], the pilgrim office is open from 8 AM to 8.30PM. So not every 13 seconds, but still very busy!

I spent the month of June in the pilgrim office, and invariably when I was there it was Fridays and Saturdays that were the busiest. One Friday evening they had to ask a lot of pilgrims to leave without getting their compostelas, and suggested they should come back early in the morning. On the Saturday morning there were 108 pilgrims in the queue when the office opened at 8 AM. Subsequently, when it was super busy they stopped people entering as closing time approached, to avoid having to tell people who had waited a long time in the queue that they would have to come back the next day, and wait again.

As to people hating to wait in the queue, I have a good friend who makes his living guiding groups on the camino. He offers them the chance to get the deal that is available to groups, whereby one of the group fills out all the details for the others, and they can all collect the compostelas later in the day without having to wait in the queue. He is constantly surprised by the number of his clients who reject the offer, and choose instead to wait in the line with all the other pilgrims. Their reason: they feel waiting in the queue is part of the process of getting a compostela, and that they are missing out on something if they accept the "easier" way of collecting it.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan thank you for sharing that story. I won't soon forget it and suspect I will glean from it often. I think I would fall into that category of wanting to stand inline to get my (first especially) compostella vs having someone grab it for me. What I appreciate about your sharing is that I don't think I ever would have realized that if I didn't get to imagine it the way presented.
Thank you!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well, for some, especially those for who this is still a religious pilgrimage, the Compostela is much more than a touristy souvenir.

I get what you are saying, but I think you miss the point. If it is truely about the religious experience and visiting Jimmy, then surely the bit of paper is even more irrelevant... And yes I know the Compestella is form of prayer. But isn't it the completion itself that is the act of devotion, possibly added to by attending services at the cathedral.

As pagans we always felt a special bond of walking in the footsteps of others who have gone before, and as its against forums rules enter into religious rants I won't go into the pre Christian elements of the Camino. And no, I don't have a Compestella, instead getting the odd competition cert and used a hand drawn map as credential rather then the church sanctioned pilgrim passports.

with the queues so long, how many don't wait? What does that do for the stats the office publishes? It will be interesting to compare the stats from the new and old office? Was there a difference in total number of volunteers' available at any one time? If so there could be quite a jump!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The purpose of my IP was to lament that the experience of visiting the Oficina del Peregrino has so dramatically changed.

No criticism of the volunteers was offered; none should be inferred; they are not to be blamed for the changed atmosphere.

In fact I salute them! The volunteers do what appears to have become thankless and self-sacrificing work. I used to fantasize about volunteering, myself, someday. But not now.

In October 2012 I collected a compostela. In June 2017 I collected another compostela. Compared to 2012 the Oficina del Peregrino in Santiago in 2017 was a madhouse! I was genuinely shocked by the guards at the entrance, by the lines which stretched beyond the capacity of the new location to accommodate them, by the hours-long wait times!

I had exactly the opposite experience. In late June 2015 I waited well over an hour in broiling heat at the old location. In July of this year, mid morning, I was in and out in 15 minutes, but the line was quickly growing. There were 14 working stations as you can see by the picture. I am somewhat of a "sello nut" as I had SEVEN credentials, the French version bought in SJPP, all completely filled. It was the talk of the office.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.PNG
    IMG_2247.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 45
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
with the queues so long, how many don't wait? What does that do for the stats the office publishes? It will be interesting to compare the stats from the new and old office? Was there a difference in total number of volunteers' available at any one time? If so there could be quite a jump!
Many many more volunteers now in the new office then when I first visited the office at the top of the wobbly stairs in 2012. I think there were two volunteers back then.

Also, to the numbers of those who queue, those who don't want to wait, are all those who don't even want a Compostela or Certificate of distance, many of the repeat Camino offenders is my guess. Plus those who know they did not walk the full last 100km and have not earned theirs. Lots and lots of people, especially today on the 25th of July.

I am a lover of Memoirs, so in re-reading Jill Ker Conway's 'The Road From Coorain' here is a partial quote..
'I knew it was one of the three most important places of Pilgrimage in the Middle Ages, but was unprepared for my first encounter with one of Europe's great holy cities. On the way in, I stopped to study the map showing the routes followed by the pilgrims, often as many as two million a year....'

First, thank you for the personal kudos above.

Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office each year, for one month from mid-July to mid-August is my way of giving back to the Camino for all it has given me over my five Caminos.

While serving at the Pilgrim Office, I have had the privilege of meeting and speaking with people from all over the world, from all faith backgrounds, and from none at all. The Camino provides an outstanding venue for seeking, finding and reaffirming our shared humanity.

I have also had the privilege of making some very good friends among both the expat and local communities. In many ways, Santiago has become my second family, and my second home.

On occasion, I am further blessed when a pilgrim allows me to help them solve a problem they may be having. Whether it is basic directions, finding a bed, medical care, a pharmacy or nearly anything else legal, I am always pleased to help. All I ask for in return is for each pilgrim to "pay it forward," helping another pilgrim as I helped them.

As regards waiting times at the Pilgrim Office, I would like to make several salient points. All are based on my four-consecutive years of summer volunteering at the office as well as my professional training.

I am trained as an analyst. I specialized for some years in process management and I very well understand queuing theory. Accordingly, I fully understand the dynamics of supply and demand at the Pilgrim Office. From this background, I offer the following points:

1. The period May - September is the peak season for Camino. Within this "season," there are several spikes in demand. These spikes are related to universities going out of session for the summer in June, and for students and staff taking to the Camino. This is also the time for many folks to take seasonal holidays or vacations. The Camino remains a popular holiday activity.

Also related is that, increasingly, Western universities in both Europe and North America are leveraging the Camino as part of their course offerings. This adds several thousand university students in chaperoned groups every year. Most of these educational groups are on the Camino from May through July. They compete for hostal and hotel rooms, as these groups typically do not use albergues.

2. The 25 th July is ALWAYS the feast of the Apostle Saint James the Greater. Also known as Santiago, his feast day is the single biggest day of celebration across the entire year in Spain. This day is both a national holiday in Spain and in Galicia. The local governments go to extraordinary effort and expense to make the annual celebration as big as humanly possible. This is the single greatest tourist draw in this part of Spain...PERIOD. So, you would logically think that the days bracketing this huge celebration will be the most crowded. Think Disney World over the Easter school break...

3. There are pilgrim Masses at the Cathedral at 12:00 noon and 19:30 each day. Pilgrims arrive at the Pilgrim Office synchronized to the noon Mass.

As a result, every day, there is a bi-modal peak effect. Each morning, new pilgrims flow into Santiago and head for the Pilgrim Office at about 10:00 am. This surge of pilgrims almost all want to get their Compostelas and make it to the Cathedral for noon Mass. Many people show up at 11:00 expecting this will work for them as well. This causes conflict and disappointment each day.

As the business process is built to handle a constant demand flow, this clear disconnect causes lengthy queues. In 2015, there were only 9 desk positions in the old Pilgrim Office to process pilgrims. In 2016, the new Pilgrim Office had 12 desk positions. The configuration this year (2017) has 17 desk positions. Yet the wait from about 10:00 to perhaps 15:30 remains at from one two two hours.

At the same time, the ACC (Acogida Christiana en el Camino) has gotten much better at recruiting fluent or native Spanish speakers, who are bi, or multi-lingual to work at these desk positions processing pilgrims.

However, it is not feasible to staff all 17 work stations constantly, regardless of the pilgrim flow. The ACC is continually working to try to match overall staffing to anticipated demand.

When the noon Mass is over about 13:00, there is a second surge or wave of pilgrims rushing to the office from the Cathedral. These folks knew enough to check into lodging and stash their backpacks FIRST, then attend Mass, then go for their Compostela. But, as they all arrive at the same time, a backup occurs.

Again, the number of pilgrims showing up in a constructed time period produces longer wait times. As a general observation, this second spike has usually been worked to completion by about 16:00, more or less.

As a result, by about 18:00 there are typically no lines. Since I arrived this year on 14 July, this has been the case. Indeed, at some times from 16:00 to 20:30, there have been more staff and volunteers available than there were pilgrims arriving.

In my experience and observation, the problem is not the physical process, or Pilgrim Office staffing. Rather, it is the false expectation of some arriving pilgrims, who persist in arriving at their convenience and expecting that they will be accommodated immediately. By simply planning your activities around the fixed and well-documented surge pattern, you CAN have a hassle-free experience.

This paradigm is no different than rush-hour commuting. We have traffic jams, the world over, simply because too many drivers try to use the finite road resource at the same time. If drivers, and pilgrims simply alter their patterns and behavior, the entire process would flow far more smoothly.

The second problem with matching the processing resource to the demand is that there is not now, not do I think can there ever be a reliable way to project how many pilgrims will emerge from the various Camino routes converging on Santiago every day. There are simply too many variables to develop a reasonable, workable model.

Thus, the Pilgrim Office is largely at the mercy of the actual number of pilgrims arriving and seeking documentation. Conversely, arriving pilgrims can EASILY work the existing process and well established demand curves to their benefit. Simply avoid the peak hours bracketing noon each day for about two hours to either side. Arrive during off-peak hours.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
[...] In my experience and observation, the problem is not the physical process, or Pilgrim Office staffing. Rather, it is the false expectation of some arriving pilgrims, who persist in arriving at their convenience and expecting that they will be accommodated immediately. .
Some arriving "pilgrims" with "expectations"? They deserve different and harsh definition.:mad::mad:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office each year, for one month from mid-July to mid-August is my way of giving back to the Camino for all it has given me over my five Caminos.

While serving at the Pilgrim Office, I have had the privilege of meeting and speaking with people from all over the world, from all faith backgrounds, and from none at all. The Camino provides an outstanding venue for seeking, finding and reaffirming our shared humanity.

I have also had the privilege of making some very good friends among both the expat and local communities. In many ways, Santiago has become my second family, and my second home.

On occasion, I am further blessed when a pilgrim allows me to help them solve a problem they may be having. Whether it is basic directions, finding a bed, medical care, a pharmacy or nearly anything else legal, I am always pleased to help. All I ask for in return is for each pilgrim to "pay it forward," helping another pilgrim as I helped them.

As regards waiting times at the Pilgrim Office, I would like to make several salient points. All are based on my four-consecutive years of summer volunteering at the office as well as my professional training.

I am trained as an analyst. I specialized for some years in process management and I very well understand queuing theory. Accordingly, I fully understand the dynamics of supply and demand at the Pilgrim Office. From this background, I offer the following points:

1. The period May - September is the peak season for Camino. Within this "season," there are several spikes in demand. These spikes are related to universities going out of session for the summer in June, and for students and staff taking to the Camino. This is also the time for many folks to take seasonal holidays or vacations. The Camino remains a popular holiday activity.

Also related is that, increasingly, Western universities in both Europe and North America are leveraging the Camino as part of their course offerings. This adds several thousand university students in chaperoned groups every year. Most of these educational groups are on the Camino from May through July. They compete for hostal and hotel rooms, as these groups typically do not use albergues.

2. The 25 th July is ALWAYS the feast of the Apostle Saint James the Greater. Also known as Santiago, his feast day is the single biggest day of celebration across the entire year in Spain. This day is both a national holiday in Spain and in Galicia. The local governments go to extraordinary effort and expense to make the annual celebration as big as humanly possible. This is the single greatest tourist draw in this part of Spain...PERIOD. So, you would logically think that the days bracketing this huge celebration will be the most crowded. Think Disney World over the Easter school break...

3. There are pilgrim Masses at the Cathedral at 12:00 noon and 19:30 each day. Pilgrims arrive at the Pilgrim Office synchronized to the noon Mass.

As a result, every day, there is a bi-modal peak effect. Each morning, new pilgrims flow into Santiago and head for the Pilgrim Office at about 10:00 am. This surge of pilgrims almost all want to get their Compostelas and make it to the Cathedral for noon Mass. Many people show up at 11:00 expecting this will work for them as well. This causes conflict and disappointment each day.

As the business process is built to handle a constant demand flow, this clear disconnect causes lengthy queues. In 2015, there were only 9 desk positions in the old Pilgrim Office to process pilgrims. In 2016, the new Pilgrim Office had 12 desk positions. The configuration this year (2017) has 17 desk positions. Yet the wait from about 10:00 to perhaps 15:30 remains at from one two two hours.

At the same time, the ACC (Acogida Christiana en el Camino) has gotten much better at recruiting fluent or native Spanish speakers, who are bi, or multi-lingual to work at these desk positions processing pilgrims.

However, it is not feasible to staff all 17 work stations constantly, regardless of the pilgrim flow. The ACC is continually working to try to match overall staffing to anticipated demand.

When the noon Mass is over about 13:00, there is a second surge or wave of pilgrims rushing to the office from the Cathedral. These folks knew enough to check into lodging and stash their backpacks FIRST, then attend Mass, then go for their Compostela. But, as they all arrive at the same time, a backup occurs.

Again, the number of pilgrims showing up in a constructed time period produces longer wait times. As a general observation, this second spike has usually been worked to completion by about 16:00, more or less.

As a result, by about 18:00 there are typically no lines. Since I arrived this year on 14 July, this has been the case. Indeed, at some times from 16:00 to 20:30, there have been more staff and volunteers available than there were pilgrims arriving.

In my experience and observation, the problem is not the physical process, or Pilgrim Office staffing. Rather, it is the false expectation of some arriving pilgrims, who persist in arriving at their convenience and expecting that they will be accommodated immediately. By simply planning your activities around the fixed and well-documented surge pattern, you CAN have a hassle-free experience.

This paradigm is no different than rush-hour commuting. We have traffic jams, the world over, simply because too many drivers try to use the finite road resource at the same time. If drivers, and pilgrims simply alter their patterns and behavior, the entire process would flow far more smoothly.

The second problem with matching the processing resource to the demand is that there is not now, not do I think can there ever be a reliable way to project how many pilgrims will emerge from the various Camino routes converging on Santiago every day. There are simply too many variables to develop a reasonable, workable model.

Thus, the Pilgrim Office is largely at the mercy of the actual number of pilgrims arriving and seeking documentation. Conversely, arriving pilgrims can EASILY work the existing process and well established demand curves to their benefit. Simply avoid the peak hours bracketing noon each day for about two hours to either side. Arrive during off-peak hours.

I hope this helps.
Hi, Tom!
Firstly, thanks for walking time together back then.;)
Secondly, I wish more pilgrims than those on this forum could benefit from your knowledge about the pilgrim office. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the "process" with the rest of us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not missing the point at all, just getting a bit tired of people telling others their Compostela shouldn't mean as much to,them as the time walked. People used to get buried with their shell. Surely it mattered quite a bit to them.
Actually that is the point, it's not the paper but the value you put on the experience and the things you associate with it. Scott wore the blue shirt he is pictured in on all of his caminos, even though it was quality linen it got very threadbare, in accordance with his wishes he was cremated in it so it too will go off with his ashes down the cliff face at Finistere.

Actually that is the point, it's not the paper but the value you put on the experience and the things you associate with it. Scott wore the blue shirt he is pictured in on all of his caminos, even though it was quality linen it got very threadbare, in accordance with his wishes he was cremated in it so it too will go off with his ashes down the cliff face at Finistere.
Perhaps for you, but not for all, especially those for whom what is written on it means something and whose message cannot be replaced by just any object.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sadly the Camino has become one of the things "to do" and like the running of the bulls, tomato festival etc it can be overwhelmed by , for want of a better word, tourists. Try going to the office in the evenings, or better yet pick a quieter time of year to do it...

I agree with the Camino has become something to do. I finished from Sahgun to Santiago. I had to give up Camino Madrid extremely hard, rough and absence of human habitation. I lasted only 3 days. As usually much partying of pilgrims at nite. I chose to do smaller Caminos and stayed in pensions or small hotels. In Rabanal del camino I stayed 5 days on nite in Gualcelmo albergue and then 4 days in the monastery. Many injures due to long Caminos for a number of pilgrims also knee and shin injures. An Italian youth I walked with for a day spent a week in Burgos due to shin problems and bed bugs twice. The BB were around I was a lucky one have protected myself with permetherin and therefore was never infected. It was certainly a hard Camino for me . My 9th but I made use of my time to spend time in places for a few days and enjoyed the rest.

Not missing the point at all, just getting a bit tired of people telling others their Compostela shouldn't mean as much to,them as the time walked.
You may not understand why I get tired from the rants against leaving stones at the Cruz de Ferro or wearing the pilgrim shell during the Camino but at least we can commiserate in a shared misery!

Last edited:
You may not understand why I get tired from the rants against leaving stones at the Cruz de Ferro or wearing the pilgrim shell during the Camino but at least we commiserate is a shared misery!
Did you see the one about people now leaving their "momentos" at the cross on the Salvador? Was on the Salvador FB page posted by those who mark the way, installed the cross, write the guide book... :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes its quite the experience. Lines on the caminos can be a common sight. I DO NOT AGREE with the pack holding a position in line. I wonder what i can add to the wait. I bring snacks to share. But i love to eat.....BC

Oh my fellow peregrina. I am so sorry. I didn't know. I was off the forum for a couple of months because I was walking and I don't always keep up even when I am here. I've just responded to your post on another thread not knowing this. It was meant to make you both laugh.
You and Scott and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. He looks damn good in that blue shirt...so happy and proud. So yay for him for knowing what he wants done and yay for you for doing it. Please tell me you are going to have someone with you at Finisterre?

I thought of something else to add to my rather lengthy tome posted above.

"A pilgrim's failure to plan their arrival at Santiago in a responsible manner does NOT create an exigency or urgency on the Pilgrim Office staff.

The process is what it is, and it IS improving over time. We all need to learn to work WITH the process, instead of insisting that the process change with our whim."

I hope this helps...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The process is what it is, and it IS improving over time. We all need to learn to work WITH the process, instead of insisting that the process change with our whim."
Somwe can keep making suggestions, right? o_O

Speaking of, were you able to get answers to the multiple questions discussed on the Forum this spring?

I am experiencing a "senior moment." Can you or others remind me of those questions?

One surprising thing I CAN confirm is that electric-assist bicycles are "Camino legal." The same 200 km distance requirement applies as for other bicycles.

Evidently, the rationale is that you must still pedal, or the battery is depleted and you stop. In this vein, a bicycle with no requirement to pedal would be considered an electric scooter. Like any petrol powered device, this would NOT be allowed.

I hope this helps. If someone reminds me of the issues I need to get answers to I will definitely seek answers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
P.S. to my last post, I am here, working at the Pilgrim Office until 15 August. After that, I have a day to pack & do last-minute shopping and seeing friends. My flight back to the US is on 17 August.

So, if you ask the question, I am situated to get an answer.

Stop giving the compostela out to those who only walk the last 100Km. It is not fair on those who attempt to do many more KMs.
Or have a priority line for those who walk further.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that in the busier months, going later in the day is the way to go. I collected my Compostela from the office at 7P.M. (1900hrs) on June 22nd this year. There was no queue at all. I simply walked in and was back out in just a matter of minutes. I know that some people have to go in the morning, but if you don't have to, try later.
Good morning
You can try at noon or in the evening. Both times when the pilgrims mass is under way.

Stop giving the compostela out to those who only walk the last 100Km. It is not fair on those who attempt to do many more KMs.
I have to disagree with both suggestions. Is a pilgrimage really a competition in which someone earns so many merit points per km walked? Is someone who walks "only" from Sahagun worthy of half the respect and privilege of a pilgrim who made the journey from Roncesvalles or St Jean? I can see good reasons for abandoning the 100km minimum walking distance - but perhaps it would be better to return to the earlier practice of granting the Compostela to all those who visit the shrine of the apostle in pietatis causa whatever their means of transport rather than reinforcing the view that it is a prize for some physical performance.

Last edited:

I hope this helps.

I am doing my first Camino in "29 more sleeps" and that is some of the best advice I've heard yet :) I'm not big on line ups! Thank you so much for that!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have to disagree with both suggestions. Is a pilgrimage really a competition in which someone earns so many merit points per km walked? Is someone who walks "only" from Sahagun worthy of half the respect and privilege of a pilgrim who made the journey from Roncesvalles or St Jean? I can see good reasons for abandoning the 100km minimum walking distance - but perhaps it would be better to return to the earlier practice of granting the Compostela to all those who visit the shrine of the apostle in pietatis causa whatever their means of transport rather than reinforcing the view that it is a prize for some physical performance.

I had a Dutch lady here a few years ago who drove the Camino from The Netherlands. I am based many many KM from the Camino Frances. She unfortunately could not walk more than a few metres. But she as doing the drive for her (then) recently departed husband. She was able to obtain her Compostela. There will be reasons for dispensation. I think that goes without saying. However, as more and more tourist take to these routes the worse it is going to be. I therefore will stick with my original ideas.

I turned up with my brother this year having walked over 120 km but not realising because it was printed in tiny writing at the back of our passport it must be the last 100 km to comply,,we skipped one town and so did not get a compestela ,,,I was so annoyed and upset especially after the long wait to get to the desk

Well, I agree with both, but not because "it's not fair". Move back the 100km to 300km because that was the length of the original pilgrimage to Santiago, from Oviedo.

Have a separate line for longer distance walkers because that is simple hospitality. A recognition that these people's bodies have taken a greater toll (yeah yeah, there are those who are ill and what have you who can only walk the last 100km, but statistically these are few and far between). Albergues make cyclists wait for a bed until walkers have arrived after all. Older people are given preference for lower bunks.

How many times have we walked into an albergue done in at the end of the day and be offered a chair, a glass of water by a hospy a told that the paperwork could wait? But when you get to Santiago that spirit of hospitality disappears.

A simple number dispenser like at the bakery would be a great start: let me sit out in the court yard while I wait my turn.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As before I feel that some of these suggestions are just plain selfish.
Those of us who, for one reason or another, have walked shorter distances but fulfilled the 100kms are probably just as weary as those who have walked further. Maybe even more so.
Please go and meditate on the parable of the workers in the vineyard. Some worked all day, others various hours and some just the last hour. All received the same rate of pay. Pilgrims IMO are like those workers and all receive the same treatment and certificates in Santiago.
Maybe the experience would be improved by a number dispenser - but some-one would need to 'police' it to ensure that some folk didn't collect multiple tickets for their friends, just one for themselves..................

Well, for some, especially those for who this is still a religious pilgrimage, the Compostela is much more than a touristy souvenir, or a symbol of physical achievement which can be celebrated with a drink. For some it is also a way to become part of a long tradition of returning home with a symbol from the Cathedral of this pilgrimage. For some it is not a way to create a "memory of a long walk", but a true accreditatation of a pilgrimage to the tomb of St-James.

I think that if the personal realization that you have completed the Pilgrimage isn't enough then that just sad.

I get what you are saying, but I think you miss the point. If it is truely about the religious experience and visiting Jimmy, then surely the bit of paper is even more irrelevant... And yes I know the Compestella is form of prayer. But isn't it the completion itself that is the act of devotion, possibly added to by attending services at the cathedral.

As pagans we always felt a special bond of walking in the footsteps of others who have gone before, and as its against forums rules enter into religious rants I won't go into the pre Christian elements of the Camino. And no, I don't have a Compestella, instead getting the odd competition cert and used a hand drawn map as credential rather then the church sanctioned pilgrim passports.
Suit yourself. Standing in line requires humility and is a proper culmination to the pilgrimage.

Maybe the experience would be improved by a number dispenser - but some-one would need to 'police' it to ensure that some folk didn't collect multiple tickets for their friends, just one for themselves..................
Easily done: let the security guard at the gate hand them out. Like the changing room lady in shops who hands you a plastic tag with the number of items you are taking in with you.

It occurred to me today that the supposedly "first pilgrim" - Alfonso II of Asturias during whose reign the tomb of St James is said to have been discovered and who was born in Oviedo and who made Oviedo the capital of his kingdom - did not get a Compostela because they hadn't been invented yet. So, if you want to invoke history for any current Compostela rules, it should be reserved for those who
  • start from home on foot or horse or by boat
  • return home in the same way
  • are Catholic
  • present a letter from their Parish priest confirming that they fulfill a number of obligations (need to look them up).
That should cut down the lines. :cool:
Just refering to what is currently beind discussed as per Rwbekha's post last year about this 100km issue. Take it up with that Camino association, not with me.

But I would also go along with Catholic and with a letter from the parish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Ugh! Im starting in St. Jean on Sept. 6 planning on finishing around October 10. Do you think it will be less crowded by then? Just curious. Im going regardless.

As before I feel that some of these suggestions are just plain selfish.
Those of us who, for one reason or another, have walked shorter distances but fulfilled the 100kms are probably just as weary as those who have walked further. Maybe even more so.
Please go and meditate on the parable of the workers in the vineyard. Some worked all day, others various hours and some just the last hour. All received the same rate of pay. Pilgrims IMO are like those workers and all receive the same treatment and certificates in Santiago.

Ref the workers analogy:
Many years of experience has shown me if a person has greater achievements, maybe these are in the form of certificates, one receives a greater re-enumeration (reward). This occurs not only in the vineyards, but all over the world.

€149,-
It occurred to me today that the supposedly "first pilgrim" - Alfonso II of Asturias during whose reign the tomb of St James is said to have been discovered and who was born in Oviedo and who made Oviedo the capital of his kingdom - did not get a Compostela because they hadn't been invented yet. No Compostelas for many centuries while the pilgrimage to Saint James was already going strong.

So, if you want to invoke history for any current Compostela rules, it should be reserved for those who
  • start from home and travel on foot or horse or by boat
  • return home in the same manner
  • are Catholic
  • present a letter from their Parish priest confirming that they fulfill a number of obligations (need to look them up).
That should cut down the lines. :cool:

Sort of agree with that, just that into days world one cannot discriminated on a lot of issues and religion is one of them!

Ahhh, so many issues, arrguments, agreements, knowledge oozing out on all sides. This is why I love this Forum and all its participants. We are free to express what we feel needs expressing, when and where and how and why.

To this point, my meagre contribution is to say that if we are talking about Compostela acquisition, no matter how long the line is, it is part of the experience, Pagan or Christian. Regardless of personal label, we are all human and will have certain beliefs and standards that we have come to live by. It is only when our present experience has difficulty with hat is in front of us that we have a challenge.

When on the Camino, really, there is no clock, per se. And most of this thread is dedicated to time, or the loss of it, waiting for a Compostela. For me, a long line would be indicative of the journey. It does take patience to complete the pilgrimage, a patience that does not stop having demands on it when your feet stop moving forward. Instead, in this case, the journey 's length is no longer measured in distance but in time to reach the goal. Instead of walking 20 to 30 km to reach the next bed and meal, it is the clock that moves forward as the line inches forward toward the next available volunteer to fill out and present you with your Compostela, one of the culminating events of your Pilgrimage, if you, as an individual, put significance on it.

Walking on the Camino, we know that we meet many people from all over this Planet. Some are open and talkative. Others are contemplative. Yet all of us are compassionate and helpful. And honestly, from the star to the finish, we are all on a huge lineup, from the first step out our doorway at home, until we complete our Pilgrimage and return home again. It is just that when you are walking on the Camino, the distance between Pilgrims varies quite a bit.

Waiting is another challenge that the Camino places in front of us.

Does the Camino have a deeper purpose? For some, we do recognize an unstated thought that the Camino is there as a journey or search for some spiritual or moral significance, greater than we have previously experienced. To each of us, there is an answer to why we walk the Camino. For all of us, it is an environment of significance that we do not find anywhere else, until it is attained, where we can then carry it with us, wherever we go in this World.

The delivery of Compostela is a never ending organizational problem, and will only get worse and worse every year.
I have a very simple solution. Put in place an automatic printing dispenser at the door of the pilgrim's bureau and charge a modest tarif for the service (not for the Compostela itself). You just put some coins, type your name, wait some seconds, and you are done (as in the boarding passes in airports). I suppose a camera could be added (as in the metro stations in France). It would be possible even to subcontract the service.
I know that this will make impossible to check up the famous 100 km rule. But you have walked them, and have seen the tours that offer customers "the best sections of every stage", and the minivans waiting for tired walkers in every road intersection, you know it is an increasingly absurd regulation. I'd better trust everybody's conscience -is not that the premise of the acceptation of a spiritual experience?
Let the good people of the Pilgrim's bureau dedicate themselves only to welcome, hug, comfort and give orientations to pilgrims that ask for it. I guess this will be more interesting and rewarding to them.
And obviously, give them the option of personalized delivery of Compostelas, for those pilgrims that don't mind the wait.

Last edited:

€149,-
Ref the workers analogy:
Many years of experience has shown me if a person has greater achievements, maybe these are in the form of certificates, one receives a greater re-enumeration (reward). This occurs not only in the vineyards, but all over the world.
See The Gospel of St Matthew, chapter 20, verses 1-16. Then as I suggested in my post it is worth meditating on it and seeing a relationship to the subject of the Compostela and distances/time etc.

[...]The Gospel of St Matthew, chapter 20, verses 1-16: the parable of the workers in the vineyard. Some worked all day, others various hours and some just the last hour. All received the same rate of pay. Pilgrims IMO are like those workers and all receive the same treatment and certificates in Santiago.[...]
Your message is loud and clear.:)

I am doing my first Camino in "29 more sleeps" and that is some of the best advice I've heard yet :) I'm not big on line ups! Thank you so much for that!!

You are very welcome. I count as a good day, any day that I can help another pilgrim.

Success!

Last edited:

€46,-
The delivery of Compostela is a never ending organizational problem, and will only get worse and worse every year.
I have a very simple solution. Put in place an automatic printing dispenser at the door of the pilgrim's bureau and charge a modest tarif for the service (not for the Compostela itself). You just put some coins, type your name, wait some seconds, and you are done (as in the boarding passes in airports). I suppose a camera could be added (as in the metro stations in France). It would be possible even to subcontract the service.
I know that this will make impossible to check up the famous 100 km rule. But you have walked them, and have seen the tours that offer customers "the best sections of every stage", and the minivans waiting for tired walkers in every road intersection, you know it is an increasingly absurd regulation. I'd better trust everybody's conscience -is not that the premise of the acceptation of a spiritual experience?
Let the good people of the Pilgrim's bureau dedicate themselves only to welcome, hug, comfort and give orientations to pilgrims that ask for it. I guess this will be more interesting and rewarding to them.
And obviously, give them the option of personalized delivery of Compostelas, for those pilgrims that don't mind the wait.

Never gonna happen! Two reasons:

1. The current process is an evolution of the original, medieval process. Back in the day, the (usually illiterate) pilgrim would present themselves at the Cathedral, and be issued the same Latin language Compostela written out on parchment by a monk or priest. At that time, these were among the few folks who were literate. In manually issuing the Compostela, the Cathedral, acting through the Pilgrim Office, is trying to maintain one-thousand years of tradition. I think they do a credible job of it, all things considered.

3. We ARE talking about the Catholic Church here folks! For all of its ups and downs, good times and bad, they are quick to point out (correctly) that they are the longest continually operating, executive/driven organization on the face of the earth.

As of 2017, the Catholic Church has been under direct papal / executive management for 1,984 continuous years, without interruption. In this context, they frequently shrug their shoulders when presented with a new or more effective way of doing things.

All this said, in my four-years volunteering at the pilgrim office, and being a (retired) process management analyst, among other things, I do have the perfect control system. Here it is:

1. Pilgrims can only be awarded a Compostela if they started from an approved place, and pilgrim office on a Camino. No ad hoc, or intermediate starting places are sanctioned.

3. At these approved sites, pilgrims are affixed with a non-removable, tamper-resistant, "fit bit" like bracelet. The bracelet also contains all the "tombstone" demographic information now captured on paper at the Pilgrim Office. Pilgrims without said bracelet cannot be issued a Compostela.

4. The current granite "mojones" along the Camino routes would be retrofitted with solar-powered digital readers / writers that would time-stamp and update each pilgrim's bracelet as they walked or cycled past. Sellos become an anachronism. Cheating becomes impossible. The entire documentation process is passive, silent, anonymous, and fraud-proof.

6. As the pilgrim enters Rua das Carretas, in Santiago de Compostela, the current Pilgrim Office location, the last RF antenna would detect the approaching pilgrim, read all the bracelet data, and update the bracelet and the Pilgrim Office computers.

7. The computers would automatically reconcile the bracelet performance data, laser print the Compostela, mileage certificate, etc. Alternatively, if the pilgrim did not qualify for a Compostela, the system generates and exception report using the bracelet data. The system would transmit a transaction code to the pilgrim bracelet.

8. Only a properly updated bracelet scan with a transaction code would grant admission to the Pilgrim Office. A small paper receipt with a transaction number is issued at the entrance. LED monitors in the garden, fountain courtyard and hallway would inform pilgrims of what transaction numbers were available for pickup.

9. Only when your number was displayed on a monitor would the automated turnstile open to let you enter. You would use your bracelet as a key.

10. Once inside, a sole employee would hand you your Compostela and mileage certificate, hot off the laser printer. They would also remove your bracelet using a special key. Attempts to remove the bracelet at any other time renders the data unusable.

I offer this ONLY to demonstrate how the Camino can be modernized and completely automated, except for the walking. I DO NOT FOR A MOMENT advocate doing this.

But, for those of you out there who continually whine or complain about one "old fashioned" aspect of the current process or another, I offer the above partially as sarcasm. It CAN all be addressed and remediated. But, that rather defeats the entire point of making a pilgrimage, doesn't' it?

Just think long and hard before you wish for something to change. Not all change is necessarily for the better. That said, it can all be done tomorrow, and using off-the-shelf technology.

This also refers to the original point #2 above. The Catholic Church has been around longer than all of us, and will be here well into the future. If they do not feel the need for change, why should we?

I hope this helps... I need another Estrella Galicia...

Last edited:
Ugh! Im starting in St. Jean on Sept. 6 planning on finishing around October 10. Do you think it will be less crowded by then? Just curious. Im going regardless.
You should be fine. We usually go at that time of year as the weather is still good (and Scott got to celebrate his birthday on the way). There is another spike in numbers starting in Sept but it's not nearly as mad as July. Have a good walk.

Last edited:

1. The current process is an evolution of the original, medieval process. Back in the day, the (usually illiterate) pilgrim would present themselves at the Cathedral, and be issued the same Latin language Compostela written out on parchment by a monk or priest. At that time, these were among the few folks who were literate. In manually issuing the Compostela, the Cathedral, acting through the Pilgrim Office, is trying to maintain one-thousand years of tradition. I think they do a credible job of it, all things considered.

3. We ARE talking about the Catholic Church here folks! For all of its ups and downs, good times and bad, they are quick to point out (correctly) that they are the longest continually operating, executive/driven organization on the face of the earth.

As of 2017, the Catholic Church has been under direct papal / executive management for 1,984 continuous years, without interruption. In this context, they frequently shrug their shoulders when presented with a new or more effective way of doing things.

All this said, in my four-years volunteering at the pilgrim office, and being a (retired) process management analyst, among other things, I do have the perfect control system. Here it is:

1. Pilgrims can only be awarded a Compostela if they started from an approved place, and pilgrim office on a Camino. No ad hoc, or intermediate starting places are sanctioned.

3. At these approved sites, pilgrims are affixed with a non-removable, tamper-resistant, "fit bit" like bracelet. The bracelet also contains all the "tombstone" demographic information now captured on paper at the Pilgrim Office. Pilgrims without said bracelet cannot be issued a Compostela.

4. The current granite "mojones" along the Camino routes would be retrofitted with solar-powered digital readers / writers that would time-stamp and update each pilgrim's bracelet as they walked or cycled past. Sellos become an anachronism. Cheating becomes impossible. The entire documentation process is passive, silent, anonymous, and fraud-proof.

6. As the pilgrim enters Rua das Carretas, in Santiago de Compostela, the current Pilgrim Office location, the last RF antenna would detect the approaching pilgrim, read all the bracelet data, and update the bracelet and the Pilgrim Office computers.

7. The computers would automatically reconcile the bracelet performance data, laser print the Compostela, mileage certificate, etc. Alternatively, if the pilgrim did not qualify for a Compostela, the system generates and exception report usimg the bracelet daya. The system would transmit a transaction code to the pilgrim bracelet.

8. Only a properly updated bracelet scan with a tranasaction code would grant admission to the Pilgrim Office. LED monitors in the garden, fountain courtyard and hallway would inform pilgrims of what transaction numbers were available for pickup.

9. Only when your number was displayed on a monitor would the automated turnstile open to let you enter. You would use your bracelet as a key.

10. Once inside, a sole employee would hand you your Compostela and mileage certificate, hot off the laser printer. They would also remove your bracelet using a special key. Attempts to remove the bracelet at any other time renders the data unusable.

I offer this ONLY to demonstrate how the Camino can be modernized and completely automated, except for the walking. I DO NOT FOR A MOMENT advocate doing this.

But, for those of you out there who continually whine or complain about one "old fashioned" aspect of the current process or another, I offer the above partially as sarcasm. It CAN all be addressed and remediated. But, that rather defeats the entire point of making a pilgrimage, doesn't' it?

Just think long and hard before you wish for something to change. Not all change is necessarily for the better. That said, it can all be done tomorrow, and using off-the-shelf technology.

This also refers to the original point #2 above. The Catholic Church has been around longer than all of us, and will be here well into the future. If they do not feel the need for change, why should we?

Huh, reading this was just like rerun of Bladerunner or 1984 :eek::eek::eek:

I for one think @t2andreo 's idea is bang on. And it would create good quality jobs: engineers to work on the mojones' device, programmers for the software, industrial designers for the bracelet and key.

I would suggest fewer Estrallas and more time dedicated to preparing a proposal to submit to the Cathedral's authorities. Chop chop, let's get on with this! :cool:

All this said, in my four-years volunteering at the pilgrim office, and being a (retired) process management analyst, among other things, I do have the perfect control system.
When I was reading your note, I was not sure if you were serious or not :) I have heard or read more extreme comments about the Camino...

1. The current process is an evolution of the original, medieval process.
Yep. But as far as I know, there is nothing medieval about the 100 km requisite. I am not an expert in Compostela history, but to me (in my supicious mind) this distance was introduced to promote tourism in Galicia. And it was a very succesfull idea, evidently, as you can see in Sarria.

I guess thata your bracelet belong in the same category of some other possible Camino improvements, as moving walkways, wifi posts along the path, and thematic hotels with young and smiling clerks (not grumpy, old hospitaleros). But I may be wrong :)

I would suggest to those that hate long lines, is to not go to the pilgrim office on your day of arrival. Enjoy your time and celebrate your arrival. Find a place to stay, have a shower, have a few drinks and a nice meal.
Plan to be in line at 7:30 AM the next morning for the opening of the office at 8:00 AM. Did this late April this year and was in and out in less than 15 minutes and by being one of the first 10 people, I also received a coupon for lunch that day in the restaurant that is at the Parador.
I understand in busier times of the year, even early morning can have a line, but after a good night's sleep and no walking that day, waiting in line is not a big deal.
If you are really feeling upset about the waiting, you need to question how much you learned while you walked your Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked last year and arrived at Santiago July 1. If I remember correctly we had a hard time finding the "new location" and so ended up going either early the next day or maybe late after Mass, not sure, but there was no line!! Anyway after planning for 3 years and walking for 6 days waiting on line would not have been an issue. I think it is an issue only if your purpose and heart are not in the right place. For me the Camino was/is as much a personal experience as it is a group experience. I walked by myself, with my son and with the other pilgrims that I crossed path on those 6 days, including those in the line waiting for the Compostela and I loved every minute of it!!

I plan on walking the CF next Sept/Oct with my wife. Will only have a week and plan on doing the Sarria to Santiago and get our Compostela. Then, when retired with more time, do other sections or maybe even the full walk, but will not need Compostela then. So the paper, and waiting in line, seems important the first time. Anyone else?

€60,-
We finished the whole Camino this month (July) and got to the office early, waited 10 minutes and they were very efficient, especially the volunteer fron Wagga.

I work from 15:00 on Monday, 31 July. I will raise the ID issue.

The electric assist bicycle IS "Camino legal." Total electric cycles, not requiring pedaling to recharge are NOT. I mentioned this earlier.

I will also raise the above Compostela translation issue.

After I get some answers I will post them here.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What an interesting thread. And thank you t2andreo for all of your helpful info.

Like @walter and Carol above, my husband and I can only afford the time for the Sarria to Santiago de Compostela route in May 2018, with the hope of completing the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port in 2021 when taking 5 or 6 weeks off is a little more feasible. But since we never know what life has in store, obtaining our Compostela next spring will be very important to us.

7. The computers would automatically reconcile the bracelet performance data, laser print the Compostela, mileage certificate, etc. Alternatively, if the pilgrim did not qualify for a Compostela, the system generates and exception report usimg the bracelet daya. The system would transmit a transaction code to the pilgrim bracelet.

8. Only a properly updated bracelet scan with a tranasaction code would grant admission to the Pilgrim Office. LED monitors in the garden, fountain courtyard and hallway would inform pilgrims of what transaction numbers were available for pickup.

Enjoy your Estrella .

Wish hou well , Peter .

Rather than an award for physical performance it could be thought of as recognition of the sacrifices required.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They have the same rights for a Compostela as some one who walked from SJPdP or even further.

They have the same rights for a Compostela as some one who walked from SJPdP or even further.

Peter,
Could not agree more.

I was just thinking about that first time pilgrim who will take his tentative steps in St Jean Pied de Port.
Or one of those 1300 Catholic students who are now walking the Camino Portugues...
Or the convalescing pilgrim who starts from Sarria and maybe can walk only ten k. a day...
Or the lonely walker who starts from his home in Paris...
Or...etc...etc.

Hopefully they are not thinking of rights but just enjoying the moment, meeting lovely and generous fellow pilgrims. Being thankful they find an albergue that is not full, a somewhat warm shower. And hopefully not too many physical ailments.
Everything else is a bonus...:)

1984... ;)

If it works, don't fix it.

Peter,
Could not agree more.

I was just thinking about that first time pilgrim who will take his tentative steps in St Jean Pied de Port.
Or one of those 1300 Catholic students who are now walking the Camino Portugues...
Or the convalescing pilgrim who starts from Sarria and maybe can walk only ten k. a day...
Or the lonely walker who starts from his home in Paris...
Or...etc...etc.

Hopefully they are not thinking of rights but just enjoying the moment, meeting lovely and generous fellow pilgrims. Being thankful they find an albergue that is not full, a somewhat warm shower. And hopefully not too many physical ailments.
Everything else is a bonus...:)
Be careful to judge others indeed. Well said.

I will be walking solo the CF from Sarria to Santiago this September 2017. I was looking forward to the journey and meeting the pilgrims on the way. This thread has given me some doubts about the way. But I am thankful for the tips to come late to the Pilgrim Office.

I will be walking solo the CF from Sarria to Santiago this September 2017. I was looking forward to the journey and meeting the pilgrims on the way. This thread has given me some doubts about the way. But I am thankful for the tips to come late to the Pilgrim Office.
Continue with your planning and walk YOUR camino, you are going to do fine. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I hope this helps.
Planning to begin my first Camino from St. Jean in mid-August, I joined this forum yesterday. After reading quite a bit, I decided it was about time to make a comment, so this is my first. Your post should be very helpful and I'll remember what you said when I arrive in Santiago. Thank you for volunteering at the Camino office and thank you for your detailed explanation regarding the Compostela process. I look forward to my journey across northern Spain.

Last edited:
I will be walking solo the CF from Sarria to Santiago this September 2017... This thread has given me some doubts about the way.
Still plenty of time to find another starting point and route. Anything wothing 100km of Santiago can be reached inexpensively and without much hassle.

€60,-
Planning to begin my first Camino from St. Jean in mid-August, I joined this forum yesterday. After reading quite a bit, I decided it was about time to make a comment, so this is my first.
Enjoy your first, of many, C. And when you get the PO ask to speak to the Floridian who encouraged you.

I was looking forward to the journey and meeting the pilgrims on the way. This thread has given me some doubts about the way.
The net impression to be found on this forum surely is that walking the Camino is a wonderful experience. Maybe doubts and imperfect moments are part of the experience. Everything won't be unmitigated joy! :)

When I walked the Camino in 2013 I had no expectations of what I would experience or that it would affect me in any way. I was walking because someone I cared about had come through an illness and wanted to walk again but worried that they might have health issues along the way and did not want to walk alone. After 31 days of no radio, tv, news to worry about and having my biggest problem of the day being keeping my clean clothes dry during my shower, I found the simplicity of life on the Camino very peaceful and stress free. I loved the idea of walking this centuries old path that millions of pilgrims had walked before me. I envisioned a stream, never ending, made up of drops of water all flowing together and I was one of those drops ensuring that the stream would keep flowing for those following after me. On returning home, I would turn on the radio and immediately turn it off wondering why I used to listen to it at home, in my car, all the time. Why did I have to care about what was happenung in the municipal politics of the large city 100 KMs away? I found so much of the news was foolishness and if I missed today's news it didn't matter as tomorrow's news would be completely different anyway. If something Importent happened I would hear about it from friends and colleagues. I found I could concentrate on trying to be a good neighbour, friend, parent, wife, daughter, coworker. All this is to say why are we stressing about such a small inconvenience at the end of a hopefully, life changing walk? If I don't like to wait in lines then I can choose not to. If a Compostela is important then I will be willing to wait. It seems strange to debate this when we will all do what we want in the end. We'll be walking our second Camino in September. I hope I will find the same stress free peace I found the first time. I need another shot of Camino.

Although I am thankful for the info about no lines later in the day. I will take that bit advice

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Got there pre 0900hrs. First in best dressed. The packs of wannabes in uniform singing Buen Camino at everybody they skip past from Sarria onwards are more of a disappointment. There should be a separate completion recognition for them, but really it's all about the wonderful things going on in your head. The further away I get, April/May 2017, the more fondly I remember the wonderful things that the Camino provides. I often said during the hardships "we'll look back and say how wonderful this was" but alas, I never really knew how wonderful it was till it is a memory.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back