• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela for ""commencing"" in Finisterre or Muxia

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
We were sitting around a table recently in Finisterre , after walking to Muxia - Lires from SDC and a young Korean girl asked us the above post.
She was walking back to SDC
We considered her question and had no idea after all these years .
****** However we all agreed and that it was the most beautiful 100km path to Santiago De Compostela .
Does this 100km qualify in Head Office?
and
If not why not , its less crowded , magnificent off the road scenery and the last 20km into SDC the nicest way to enter there ??

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I have done this.

If you walk from Finisterre to Muxia then to santiago you will qualify for the compostela as it is over 100km. Same is true if you start in Muxia, then Finisterre then Santiago. Either way make sure you get a sello in Lires halfway between Muxia and Finisterre even if you just pass through, they check for this in the pilgrim office as proof you walked.

It is a beautiful way.

Davey

Yes, I have done this.

If you walk from Finisterre to Muxia then to santiago you will qualify for the compostela as it is over 100km. Same is true if you start in Muxia, then Finisterre then Santiago. Either way make sure you get a sello in Lires halfway between Muxia and Finisterre even if you just pass through, they check for this in the pilgrim office as proof you walked.

It is a beautiful way.

Davey

Oh my. For some reason I did not think that was possible.

However, it makes sense. But, if you say walk Fisterra to Muxia then to Santiago. Will F. and M. give you their certificates?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

However, it makes sense. But, if you say walk Fisterra to Muxia then to Santiago. Will F. and M. give you there certificates?

F and M ? Sorry I don't understand

Davey

Fisterra and Muxia.

A yes sorry. In 2016 after I walked the Frances I carried on to Finisterre and received the certificate for that. Then walked to Muxia where I received that certificate also. Finally having walked back to Santiago I received a compostela for completing over 100km. So yes it is possible.

However, the certificate for Finisterre is automatic if you walked there from Santiago (either way). But previously from me walking to Muxia, and from what I have heard from other pilgrims is the fact that before you receive the Muxiana they check for a stamp from Lires. If this is true then the Muxiana can only be received by going via Finisterre. May be someone else can qualify this, I am not sure!

Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A yes sorry. In 2016 after I walked the Frances I carried on to Finisterre and received the certificate for that. Then walked to Muxia where I received that certificate also. Finally having walked back to Santiago I received a compostela for completing over 100km. So yes it is possible.

However, the certificate for Finisterre is automatic if you walked there from Santiago (either way). But previously from me walking to Muxia, and from what I have heard from other pilgrims is the fact that before you receive the Muxiana they check for a stamp from Lires. If this is true then the Muxiana can only be received by going via Finisterre. May be someone else can qualify this, I am not sure!

Davey

Davie Boy , Muxia is first for many so Lires has no influence on getting a Compostela .
My wife got one there just recently then next day we continued onto Lires for the night.
The reason i posted this question was to relay the simple message to many who wish to qualify for a Certificate .......instead of starting in Tui / Valencia or Sarria where the herds / crowds are.... the most enjoyable walk to get your FIRST is from Muxia or Finisterre. The difference with the people walking , the scenery and the quietness is very stark to Frances and Portuguese routes.
The best view shown on the Cathedral Spires is from the Coastal walk just after leaving SDC , this is what you will see when entering from the Coast..........better than major roads & suburbia that exists , especially from Padron.

***I just have a very big feeling that once The Parador is finished [ 18 months ] in Muxia many will walk from there to SDC and it will be the most enjoyable from within 100km.
And if you have 14 days to spare as many request on this forum , get the train to A'Coruna and do the Ingles.

Last edited:
Davie Boy , Muxia is first for many so Lires has no influence on getting a Compostela .
My wife got one there just recently then next day we continued onto Lires for the night.
The reason i posted this question was the relay the simple message to many who wish to qualify for a Certificate .......instead of starting in Tui / Valencia or Sarria where the herds / crowds are the most enjoyable walk to get your FIRST is from Muxia or Finisterre. The difference with the people walking , the scenery and the quietness is very stark.
The best view shown on the Cathedral Spires os from the Coastal walk just after leaving SDC , this is what you will see when entering from the Coast..........better than major roads that exist , especially from Padron.

I just have a very big feeling that once The Parador is finished [ 18 months ] in Muxia many will walk from there to SDC and it will be the most enjoyable from within 100km.

Thank you for the clarification, thought this would be the case but did not want to mislead anybody just in case !

And I agree, the best view of the Cathedral on entering Santiago is via the coast, such a breathtaking view. Yeah, I think this walk is a much nicer alternative to starting in Sarria, especially in terms of crowds. It would be such a shame if this route also became so crowded but with pilgrim numbers climbing steadily year on year they have to go somewhere!

One more point though, walking back from Finisterre to Santiago is ok regarding signage, but is problematic coming towards Santiago from Muxia. I got lost a few times that way both times I walked it.

Davey

Thank you for the clarification, thought this would be the case but did not want to mislead anybody just in case !

And I agree, the best view of the Cathedral on entering Santiago is via the coast, such a breathtaking view. Yeah, I think this walk is a much nicer alternative to starting in Sarria, especially in terms of crowds. It would be such a shame if this route also became so crowded but with pilgrim numbers climbing steadily year on year they have to go somewhere!

One more point though, walking back from Finisterre to Santiago is ok regarding signage, but is problematic coming towards Santiago from Muxia. I got lost a few times that way both times I walked it.

Davey

Brierleys Book mate . Sarria = Santiago = Finisterre includes the Muxia Circuit .
I think the man who owns Zara by building Dumbria and now the Parador coming might influence more nationalities as we found the Spanish love Muxia as the destination.
But the shire / local councils or the owners of accommodation must improve the signage from Muxia to SDC.
There has been a very big increase in beds in Muxia so they should be involved.
We met plenty of pilgrims after we left Dumbria and that was their main concern
Having said that once you past Dumbria its pretty easy sailing to SDC.
The only part i missed Davey after Hospital was the pit stops;) as the temp was 35c plus.
Keep well mate

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Brierleys Book mate . Sarria = Santiago = Finisterre includes the Muxia Circuit .
I think the man who owns Zara by building Dumbria and now the Parador coming might influence more nationalities as we found the Spanish love Muxia as the destination.
But the shire / local councils or the owners of accommodation must improve the signage from Muxia to SDC.
There has been a very big increase in beds in Muxia so they should be involved.
We met plenty of pilgrims after we left Dumbria and that was their main concern
Having said that once you past Dumbria its pretty easy sailing to SDC.
The only part i missed Davey after Hospital was the pit stops;) as the temp was 35c plus.
Keep well mate

I still got lost even with Brierley! Biggest problem was passing through villages. No signage as you enter and some of them are like rabbit warrens! Yep all is good once you get to Dumbria though!

Regards

However, it makes sense. But, if you say walk Fisterra to Muxia then to Santiago. Will F. and M. give you there certificates?

This question was about getting a Compostela from "commencing" in either Muxia or Finisterre instead of the other recommended starting points like Sarria and Tui which have become overcrowded and not enjoyable in certain seasons. They also approach SDC on main roads from many km's out .
** From either of these coastal villages the last 23 km is on beautiful country / forest pathways , except the last ONE km , when you approach The Parador and Cathedral.

It was just this simple question NYC from the Korean girl that made us ask each other why no one had considered commencing there . Easier to get to these coastal villages one would think than Sarria especially.

Yes, I have done this...If you walk from Finisterre to Muxia then to santiago you will qualify for the compostela as it is over 100km. Same is true if you start in Muxia, then Finisterre then Santiago. Either way make sure you get a sello in Lires halfway between Muxia and Finisterre...It is a beautiful way. Davey

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa??? I had no idea...WOW!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Does this mean you have to walk to muxia then finistera and back to Santiago?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does this mean you have to walk to muxia then finistera and back to Santiago?
No. You can take a bus to either Muxia or Fisterra before beginning your walk. If you start in Muxia you must walk to Fisterra and then to Santiago. If you start in Fisterra you must walk to Muxia and then to Santiago. Walking directly to Santiago from either town is less than 100km and so does not qualify for the Compostela. Of course if you do not wish to receive a Compostela after your journey then you can do as you wish.

Hello.
I'm thinking to do Muxia-Finiterra-Santiago.
Are the arrows all in the reverse or since the path was added to the credencial there are arrows both ways?
Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is an official statement which reassures you, that you can recieve a compostela for doing Muxía-Finisterre-Santiago or Finisterre-Muxía-Santiago.

Starting-Points to recieve a compostela

From this you can also learn, that Ferrol, Lugo and Vigo are still sufficient.

BC
Alexandra

@Via2010, oh my goodness! You need to post this list of official starting points and the link to this recent official statement by the Cathedral in a separate thread. There are endless threads with speculation and conflicting advice about where exactly in/before/after Lugo, Sarria, Vigo or whereever one has to start if one wants to get a Compostela. Now finally there is unexpected clarity from the Cabildo themselves!!! A miracle.

Edited to add: A closer look makes me think that the list itself is published by the Spanish Camino Federation and the source is the Oficina del Peregrino but still ... so Barbadelo, is it? ☺

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back