• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela - From Vigo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Will walking from Vigo to Santiago earn a pilgrim the compostela

Yes. Vigo is at 100 km. from Santiago.
I wouldn't be sure of this. Google Maps says it is 87 km from Santiago, walking, and furthermore, I am not sure how many of those kilometers are on one of the recognized routes.

I've edited the title to attract more attention so maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bow to Flog's knowledge, but was interested so had a look at Gronze. They measure it at 99.6km!

You are kind, but I simply looked it up!
It's not a very common starting point though.. Sarria, 115km, Ferrol, 113km and Tui, 119km are the most popular starting points for 100km caminos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldn't be sure of this. Google Maps says it is 87 km from Santiago, walking, and furthermore, I am not sure how many of those kilometers are on one of the recognized routes.

I've edited the title to attract more attention so maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm.
I asked the same question and am adding a day and walking from Nigran instead of Vigo. Some parts of Vigo might make the 100 km cut because it is a significant size city, but who would want to split hairs with the office of pilgrims? Safer to just walk the extra distance.

I asked the same question and am adding a day and walking from Nigran instead of Vigo. Some parts of Vigo might make the 100 km cut because it is a significant size city, but who would want to split hairs with the office of pilgrims? Safer to just walk the extra distance.
There isn't any splitting of hairs. Why complicate things? For tbe purpose of obtaining a compostela, Vigo is101km from Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having worked in the Pilgrims Office (in 2019), I can testify that the people behind the counter only look at the place name on the sello, or stamp, not the precise location of the establishment in question. My wife and I started collecting our two sellos per day in Vigo and had no trouble qualifying for the Compostela. But starting from Nigrán is also an option; lodging would be less expensive there.

Well, according to what the credential says (quote): “Para poder obtener la “Compostela”, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo.”
Translated says: To obtain a Compostela, the Spiritual Variant should start as a minimum in Porriño or Vigo. So, with this said I’m in the Pilgrim’s Credential, it mean that it accepted to begin in Vigo.
Hope this helps,
Iván

Attached is a photo of the routes, notice the referred note in the upper left.27143A03-4C02-4170-AE37-ADEC138D66BA.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, according to what the credential says (quote): “Para poder obtener la “Compostela”, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo.”
Translated says: To obtain a Compostela, the Spiritual Variant should start as a minimum in Porriño or Vigo. So, with this said I’m in the Pilgrim’s Credential, it mean that it accepted to begin in Vigo.
Hope this helps,
Iván

Attached is a photo of the routes, notice the referred note in the upper left.View attachment 123873
Agree that Vigo to SDC with using the variant through Vilanova de Arousa qualifies as over 100 km but if sticking to the main route from Redondela on up, there are some guidebooks that have that total as just under 100 km.

Lookit:
From Vigo to Santiago qualifies you for a compostela, period.

The extra kilometres of the spiritual variant is not recognised by the pilgrims office, whatever tbe guide book or pamphlet or map or credencial states, nor does it matter if you start at the bus station or the albergue municipal, or at opposite ends of the city.

The OP's question was:
Will walking from Vigo to Santiago earn a pilgrim the compostela?

The answer was and still is:
YES. FROM VIGO TO SANTIAGO IS OFFICIALLY 101KM.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.