• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela Holy Year 2020

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
"Where Never is Heard a Disparaging Word and the Skies Are Not Cloudy All Day" - well, the disparaging words bit maybe-cloudy days and worse we have seen more than our share! You can call me all be just another grouchy Old Stinky South Wind but I've never been happy when the powers that be changed the format of the Compostela from something so very traditional to something resembling that of Finistera or worse Muxia. I am sincerely hoping that there is a chance that a new/old style Compostela will appear in 2020.

1576776083350.png1576776680981.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So has there been any explanation as to why there has been a change??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not particularly bothered by the change in design and I have no plans to ask for another Compostela in future anyway. Just to be clear though - the next Holy Year will be 2021, not 2020.
Sorry writing too fast mind on other things - the change doe bother me!

So has there been any explanation as to why there has been a change??
I don't know why there has been a change but I think the newer version looks attractive. I have Fernando Lalanda's book Historia de la Compostela with photos of Compostelas and the predecessors since 1501. The design has changed a dozen times, sometimes only slightly and sometimes drastically, no doubt driven by technological advances (at first handwritten but not terribly pretty, simple print when it became available, then later more advanced print).

The design that was used from about 1930 (or a bit earlier, difficult to say) until 2014 is quite similar to the design used in the 19th century. So quite young and not terribly traditional. 😉

The current design is more colourful (colour print is nowadays feasible and no longer too expensive). It actually harks back to the Middle Ages. It has three elements that are taken from medieval illustrated manuscripts held in Santiago: the figure of the Apostle is from the Codex Calixtinus and the pattern along the left side (and presumably the first letter of the text) are taken from a famous breviary (Breviario de Miranda).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would guess that the fact that multi-color printing is no longer too expensive to be a big factor.
A bit more history 😉: According to the booklet I mentioned earlier, in 1988, the Compostela was still printed in black only on white paper. By 1991, the print had changed to brown (marrones) tones on cream-coloured paper. Then, by 2014, multi-colour printing.

The author also says that printing technology appeared in Spain at the end of the 14th century (I guess that's woodblock printing) and the Santiago Cathedral did not wait long before they made used of it. Here's a Compostela from 1535 which was already considerably later:

1535.png
Very economical :): The year 1535 is partially pre-printed, in the form Anno domini M.D.35

Last edited:
The older style ones fade really badly. On my 2001 Compostela the coloured frieze has all but vanished leaving just the denser black lettering and seal. The 'rubber stamped' signature has disappeared completely.
What annoys me about the newer version is that it's not a standard paper size so I've had to have the passe-partouts customised so you can see the whole of the image.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back