• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela question

Time of past OR future Camino
April 25, 2016
When arriving in Santiago, my understanding is that you only get a Compostela (in Latin) if you are doing the Camino for religious reasons. Otherwise, you get a certificate in English. Is this correct? And if so, do you get both at the pilgrim's office?

Thanks for the clarification.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A Compostella is given to those who walked for religious or spiritual reasons (and who ask for one). The Certificate of Distance is for the sporty types ;). More here
New Compostela and Certificate

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for supplying that missing link. I especially enjoyed discovering that the SdC pilgrim office doesn't acknowledge 2016 as a Holy Year:

"The last Holy Year was in 2010 and the next is in 2021. During Holy Years there is a considerable increase in the numbers of pilgrims to Santiago who may enter the Cathedral by the “Holy Door” which is only opened during that year."

When arriving in Santiago, my understanding is that you only get a Compostela (in Latin) if you are doing the Camino for religious reasons. Otherwise, you get a certificate in English. Is this correct? And if so, do you get both at the pilgrim's office?

The quotes below are from the Camino Ways webpage that describes (and has images of) the passports, certificates and compostellas. http://caminoways.com/walking-the-camino-passports-certificates-and-compostelas

The ‘Compostela’ is the original religious certificate written in Latin.

Pilgrims travelling for sport or cultural reasons can obtain a non-religious version of the Compostela, called Certificate of Welcome, also from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago (Rúa do Vilar). The same rule of 100km for walkers and 200km for cyclists and horse riders apply for this certificate.

Both the Compostela and Certificate of Welcome were redesigned in May 2014 and both documents are now written in Latin. Compostelas and certificates are issued to pilgrims, on a donation basis, by the Pilgrims Office in Santiago.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back