• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela question

Caligal

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CF Sept 10-27 2019
CP Sept 28- Oct12 2019
C Finisterre Oct 16-Oct 20
For my 2nd Camino I am planning to walk from Pamplona to Sarria then train to Porto and doing the CP to Santiago then walking Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago. My question do I get my CP Compostela before i head out to the coast or can I wait till I get back to Santiago and get it and 2nd one for the 100kms to the Coast and back? Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1. Get your certificates together at the end. Then you don't have to carry or store your first Compostela during your walk to Finisterre and Muxia.

2. Get the CP Compostela immediately after your CP. While there, you can buy a tube to store it, which will come in handy when you receive your Finisterriana and Muxiana certificates.

So I have the option of #1or #2? If i could get them at the same time i wouldnt have to wait in line twice, right?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So I have the option of #1or #2? If i could get them at the same time i wouldnt have to wait in line twice, right?
I'm not sure,,, but I don't think you can get a Compostela by walking to Finesterre, Muxia and back to Santiago,,,, if that is what you are thinking

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure,,, but I don't think you can get a Compostela by walking to Finesterre, Muxia and back to Santiago,,,, if that is what you are thinking

Yeah I've done it. If you walk either Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago or Muxia - Finisterre - Santiago both are over 100km. Get two sellos per day of course.

Davey

To be clear, you can walk anywhere you want, on any Camino route, and in any order you choose. HOWEVER, one can ONLY qualify for the Compostela if one has walked the FINAL 100 km on any acknowledged route into Santiago.

So, walking from St. Jean Pied de Port to Sarria qualifies you for nothing. But walking from Sarria to Santiago qualifies you for the Compostela. it is all about actually arriving at the religious focus of the entire pilgrimage...the relics of the Apostle Saint James (Santiago).

Practically speaking, on the...
  • Camino Frances, you need to walk at least from Sarria to Santiago (118 km).
  • Camino Portuguese, you need to walk at least from Tui to Santiago (107 km).
  • Camino Primitivo, you must walk from the town BEFORE Lugo, Lugo is 99 km from Santiago.
  • Camino Invierno, you must walk at least from Monforte de Lemos
  • Other Caminos have similar minimal distance points...
Also, you do not need to get your Compostela immediately on arrival. You could finish all of your walking then queue once. If you are going to seek two Compostelas for doing two routes, each consisting of at least 100 km, BE SURE YOU HAVE TWO DISTINCT CREDENCIALES.

Coming the first thing the morning after arrival is a good way to avoid the long lines. The pilgrim office opens at 0800, seven days a week.

Hope this helps to clarify.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To be clear, you can walk anywhere you want, on any Camino route, and in any order you choose. HOWEVER, one can ONLY qualify for the Compostela if one has walked the FINAL 100 km on any acknowledged route into Santiago.

So, walking from St. Jean Pied de Port to Sarria qualifies you for nothing. But walking from Sarria to Santiago qualifies you for the Compostela. it is all about actually arriving at the religious focus of the entire pilgrimage...the relics of the Apostle Saint James (Santiago).

Practically speaking, on the...
  • Camino Frances, you need to walk at least from Sarria to Santiago (118 km).
  • Camino Portuguese, you need to walk at least from Tui to Santiago (107 km).
  • Camino Primitivo, you must walk from the town BEFORE Lugo, Lugo is 99 km from Santiago.
  • Camino Invierno, you must walk at least from Monforte de Lemos
  • Other Caminos have similar minimal distance points...
Also, you do not need to get your Compostela immediately on arrival. You could finish all of your walking then queue once. If you are going to seek two Compostelas for doing two routes, each consisting of at least 100 km, BE SURE YOU HAVE TWO DISTINCT CREDENCIALES.

Coming the first thing the morning after arrival is a good way to avoid the long lines. The pilgrim office opens at 0800, seven days a week.

Hope this helps to clarify.
Hi Tom, thanks so much for your very concise answer. If i want a Compostela for the Camino out to Finisterre-Muxia and back to Santiago where would i get my 1st sello and would it be the same 2stamps a day requirement?

You get a different Compostela walking to Finisterre and Muxia. You just go into the offices in those cities and show them your passport with the stamps from Santiago and you will receive them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tom, thanks so much for your very concise answer. If i want a Compostela for the Camino out to Finisterre-Muxia and back to Santiago where would i get my 1st sello and would it be the same 2stamps a day requirement?

As you are seeking to walk a 100 Km circular tour, I would resume the practice of getting a sello where you sleep for the night, starting when you leave Santiago, and at another place you stop during the day, like a cafe... Inside the 100 km boundary, they always look for the 2 stamps per day especially if that is the limit to how far you walked.

As you are seeking to walk a 100 Km circular tour, I would resume the practice of getting a sello where you sleep for the night, starting when you leave Santiago, and at another place you stop during the day, like a cafe... Inside the 100 km boundary, they always look for the 2 stamps per day especially if that is the limit to how far you walked.
👍👍!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You get a different Compostela walking to Finisterre and Muxia. You just go into the offices in those cities and show them your passport with the stamps from Santiago and you will receive them.

No, not quite. You can claim the Finisteriana (I think it is called) on arriving in Finisterre. You can claim the Muxiana in Muxia. If you walk back to Santiago over 100km with two sellos a day you can claim the compostella also. Same one you receive from walking from Sarria etc. See 2tandreo's post above.

Davey

No, not quite. You can claim the Finisteriana (I think it is called) on arriving in Finisterre. You can claim the Muxiana in Muxia. If you walk back to Santiago over 100km with two sellos a day you can claim the compostella also. Same one you receive from walking from Sarria etc. See 2tandreo's post above.

Davey
Isn't that kind of what I said????? haha. I got my whatever it is called in Finisterre and it is not a Compostela but who cares haha.

Isn't that kind of what I said????? haha. I got my whatever it is called in Finisterre and it is not a Compostela but who cares haha.

You are right, I just read it you meant you could not get a compostela also! Sorry! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back