• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela requirements clarification please

slmoser

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I have received conflicting information on obtaining the Compostela. We have walked more than 100km since beginning our Camino journey and are wondering if that qualifies for a Compostela or must we parade with all the others from Sarria and fight for accommodations etc? Hoping any 100km is the requirement but would like confirmation. Thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have received conflicting information on obtaining the Compostela.
I don't know where the conflicting information is coming from. The requirements are quite clear here on the website of the Cathedral Pilgrim Office. As @Bradypus says, you must walk the last 100 km of a recognized route - including the Francés, Camino Sanabres/Plata/Invierno, Inglés, Portugués.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just to throw something into a fray (and talk about confusing)... I do believe this was brought up couple of times on the Forum
If one does Muxia --> Finisterre --> SdC (or Finisterre, Muxia --> SdC) does that qualifies for a Compostela?
(nod to @C clearly - a proper spelling with one 'l' this time ;) 🕊️)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to throw something into a fray (and talk about confusing)... I do believe this was brought up couple of times on the Forum
If one does Muxia --> Finisterre --> SdC (or Finisterre, Muxia --> SdC) does that qualifies for a Compostela?
Yes, because it is more than 100 km and ends in Santiago.

Well... there is perhaps an answer for those who seek a quieter Camino with no bed race
Perhaps, but you will be competing with all the pilgrims walking the other way, who by the time they start walking to Muxia or Fisterra will be well experienced in all the strategies and techniques of getting a place to sleep each night. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The instructions are on your credencial, just follow them. In my experience, often the hospitaleros are careful to remind you that their albergue is the beginning of the 2 stamps a day zone.
There is no need to permutate.
One of the lessons of the Camino is that the pilgrim is not in control.

I have received conflicting information on obtaining the Compostela. We have walked more than 100km since beginning our Camino journey and are wondering if that qualifies for a Compostela or must we parade with all the others from Sarria and fight for accommodations etc? Hoping any 100km is the requirement but would like confirmation. Thank you!
No need to parade; one can stroll with studied insouciance, as I have often done.

Regardless of where you start and how far you have walked, the requirement is that the distance you have walked must include the last 100km to Santiago. Here’s the relevant Pilgrim’s Office information page on the matter: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-credencial/

If you wanted to avoid the section of the Camino Frances after Sarria but still wanted to qualify for the Compostela, you could consider walking the last 100km of another Camino route. Maybe the Camino Primitivo from Lugo (although you’ll still rejoin the Camino Frances at Melide on the route)? Just make sure you get two stamps a day in your credential during the last 100km whichever route you choose to take so you don’t miss out.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, you must parade with the others from Sarria. That is why 35% of ALL pilgrims on ALL routes choose to walk only this well trodden segment of the Camino Frances.

Factually, it is the least effort and time a pilgrim can expend to qualify for a Compostela. This stretch also has perhaps the best support infrastructure of any part of any Camino route.

A very large number of pilgrims simply do not have the free time or financial means to do more. Here, we invoke the unofficial “official” Rule One of the Camino:

Everyone does their own Camino. No pilgrim has the right or the standing to tell another pilgrim how to accomplish their personal journey.”

We each do what our conscience and situation in life permits.

I wish everyone out there patience, understanding, flexibility and GRACE.

Buen Camino!

Hope this helps,

Tom

And if you do walk just the last 100k, you needs two stamps per day on your compostela.
You need two stamps a day during the final 100 km regardless of your starting point, though the volunteers at the Pilgrims Office can use their discretion.

This is the text from the Pilgrims Office:

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
FYI regarding Vigo to Santiago
I have a letter from the Pilgrim Office confirming that completing the Camino from Vigo to Santiago qualifies for the compostella! I am not letting that letter out of my sight!

You must walk at least the final 100km of a recognised Camino route. It is not enough to have walked any other 100km section.
Not true. You have to walk 100 km on any route that leads to Santiago, recognized or not

Not true. You have to walk 100 km on any route that leads to Santiago, recognized or not

From the pilgrim office website. I believe the same statement is made on the cathedral's version of the Credencial. A rule which has been in place for several years and which was explained to me in person in the pilgrim office.

Screenshot_2023-05-04-17-59-19-903~2.jpg

Unfortunately, it is true. The relevant page on the Pilgrim Office website is here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/peregrinacion/la-compostela/. The walking rule is:
  • Peregrinación a pie o a caballo: haber caminado los últimos 100 km por cualquiera de las rutas reconocidas como oficiales por la S.A.M.I. Catedral de Santiago.
which DeepL translates as: Pilgrimage on foot or on horseback: to have walked the last 100 km by any of the routes recognized as official by the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of Santiago.

Elsewhere on the website, you will find the list of official camino routes, here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/preparacion/planificacion/, which contains this explanation:

El Camino de Santiago no es un fin en sí mismo, sino un medio para llegar a la meta: la Tumba del Apóstol Santiago. Sin embargo, podemos decir que existen varias rutas o caminos oficiales reconocidos al amparo de la Ley 5/2016 de 4 de mayo, del patrimonio cultural de Galicia (art. 73.2):​

which DeepL translates as: The Camino de Santiago is not an end in itself, but a means to reach the goal: the Tomb of the Apostle Santiago. However, we can say that there are several official routes or paths recognized under the protection of Law 5/2016 of 4 May, of the cultural heritage of Galicia (art. 73.2): (NB a list follows)

Note that the particular content that I have quoted here has NOT been repeated in the same detail on the English language version of the Pilgrim Office website.

Of interest to me is that it is not the cathedral that has determined what are the official routes, but it appears to be a reflection of the routes that have been protected under Galician heritage laws. More, I cannot say how rigorously the Pilgrim Office applies these rules. Others who have served as volunteers in the Pilgrim Office might know and be able to tell us that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
and, on those last 100 km you'll need two stamps per day.
Unless it is blatantly very obvious from a very large credencial that you have walked from very far, and that you have made some effort to follow the rules more or less.

But for most pilgrims, yes -- sad, but there have simply been too many cheats.

must we parade with all the others from Sarria
No, you can walk your final 100K on an entirely different route if so desired.

Though to make that a continued finale might require some extra research !!

FYI regarding Vigo to Santiago
I have a letter from the Pilgrim Office confirming that completing the Camino from Vigo to Santiago qualifies for the compostella! I am not letting that letter out of my sight!
I believe that the distance from the Xunta Albergue in Vigo and the Cathedral in Santiago is marginally less than 100K -- A particular exception was once established for Vigo ; though all Camino distances for the 2021-2022 Holy Year were significantly revised, so that for all I know, Vigo may "officially" be further than 100K as things stand now.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From the pilgrim office website. I believe the same statement is made on the cathedral's version of the Credencial. A rule which has been in place for several years and which was explained to me in person in the pilgrim office.

View attachment 146251
The phrasing "recognised as official" is not what you think it means, @Bradypus.

It means that the Pilgrim Office will officially recognise, or not, that you have walked at least 100K to Santiago. It is a recognition by the Office ; and NOT a predetermination by the Office of which routes might "qualify".

Certainly, some overly literalist Pilgrim Office employees could cause some misery -- but there's no reason at all to characterise their mistakes as any sort of norm.

It means that the Pilgrim Office will officially recognise, or not, that you have walked at least 100K to Santiago. It is a recognition by the Office ; and NOT a predetermination by the Office of which routes might "qualify".
That was not the interpretation I was given at the pilgrim office. The two volunteers I spoke with were quite explicit in stating that I was required to follow one of a number of predefined recognised Caminos in order to receive a Compostela. A route of my own choice was specifically excluded.

The phrasing "recognised as official" is not what you think it means, @Bradypus.

My reading of the current web pages does not support this interpretation. I have provided what I think are the relevant Pilgrim Office web page links in an earlier post. The difficulty is that the statements around this particular issue only appear in the Spanish version of the web site, so they need to be translated with the attendant difficulties that this brings. The situation is made more complex by the reference to Galician heritage law as the source for the list of official routes.

Yes, because it is a walk of more than 100 km on a recognized route ending in Santiago. It doesn't matter if the walk is west (Frances etc.) or north (Portugues, Sanabres, etc.) or south (Ingles) or in this case east.

But you will need to collect two stamps per day. You can get a stamp at Lires between Finisterre and Muxia.

Perhaps, but you will be competing with all the pilgrims walking the other way, who by the time they start walking to Muxia or Fisterra will be well experienced in all the strategies and techniques of getting a place to sleep each night. ;)
True, but the number of people who walk on to Finisterre/Muxia is much less than the number of people who are walking into Santiago on the popular routes. Most just take the bus to Finisterre. I wouldn't anticipate too much of a bed race, unless things have changed dramatically. And while I have read lots about congestion elsewhere, I haven't read any of congestion on this particular route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You don't have to do anything. And the staff and volunteers in the Pilgrim Office have a certain amount of discretion, so it is possible to get a Compostela without having fulfilled the requirements established by the Pilgrim Office. But, as others have demonstrated with direct quotes from the Cathedral website, there are certain rules that the Cathedral has established for handing out Compostelas. If you don't fulfil them you cannot count on getting a Compostela. Simply saying that the rules quoted are not true does not make it so. Nor does anecdotal evidence of Pilgrim Office staff and volunteers using their discretion.

You do a disservice to fellow pilgrims asserting flexibility that is contrary to the published rules. Pilgrims have been denied Compostelas for counting on flexibility they had been assured of when the volunteers or staff in the Pilgrim Office stuck to the rules.

True, but the number of people who walk on to Finisterre/Muxia is much less than the number of people who are walking into Santiago on the popular routes. Most just take the bus to Finisterre. I wouldn't anticipate too much of a bed race, unless things have changed dramatically. And while I have read lots about congestion elsewhere, I haven't read any of congestion on this particular route.
I walked it around Easter in 2014, so some time ago. The occupancy rates varied - places like the Xunta albergue at Dumbria seemed almost empty, but places in both Muxia and Fisterra were more difficult to find. The hospitalero at the place I stayed in Muxia rang around a couple of places in Fisterra before finding vacancies for my companion and me.

My point, though, is that walking backwards along a route is no guarantee of it being any less busy or any easier to find a bed than for those walking 'forwards' along these routes. There is no panacea here.

I'm afraid I am not sure what you are getting at here, JabbaPapa (not the first time I'm being obtuse, I'm sure). If the Pilgrim Office does not recognize that you have walked at least 100 km, surely it matters not whether the route qualifies, you won't be walking out of the Office with a Compostela. For isn't, in this modern world, official recognition by the Office that you have walked at least 100 km to Santiago what the Compostela signifies?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unless it is blatantly very obvious from a very large credencial that you have walked from very far, and that you have made some effort to follow the rules more or less.
True but let me take this moment to thank a volunteer.
When we started we got stamps at all sorts of places, several a day, but towards the end of our camino our double-sided credentials were in danger of filling up and I wanted to leave open the option to walk to Finnisterre.
I either didn't know or forgot about the two stamps rules. Looking back now, both my Brierley and Village to Village guides didn't mention it and while the instructions on the credential did mention it but they were in French. So I deliberately switched to one stamp per day for the last fortnight.
We turned up at the Pilgrims Office, clean but obviously pilgrims, happy with our nearly full credentials that started in SJPP 45 days previously. The volunteer looked through our credentials closely (at the time I thought he was admiring them) and issued our compostellas with congratulations. We left the Pilgrims Office none the wiser and it was a long time later before I realised what had happened!
Of course, pilgrims should be aware of the rules and follow them.
None of the above is an encouragement to rely on a flexible volunteer but the camino does provide if you have the right attitude.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I am not sure what you are getting at here, JabbaPapa (not the first time I'm being obtuse, I'm sure). If the Pilgrim Office does not recognize that you have walked at least 100 km, surely it matters not whether the route qualifies, you won't be walking out of the Office with a Compostela. For isn't, in this modern world, official recognition by the Office that you have walked at least 100 km to Santiago what the Compostela signifies?
That is what I meant, yes.

But it also needs to be an actual route -- i.e. not 40K on one itinerary, bus to another, then 60K on that one.

That is what I meant, yes.

But it also needs to be an actual route -- i.e. not 40K on one itinerary, bus to another, then 60K on that one.
True, but if you walk 600K+ on one itinerary, bus to another, then 100K+ on the other, as a number seem to be suggesting to avoid the Sarria to Santiago section, you will still have walked the last 100K to Santiago on an actual  route, fulfilling the requirements of a Compostela.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe that is only if you only do the last 100Km. I did a full 800km with one a day and received my Compostela
No, the 2 stamps per day requirement is for everyone, regardless of where they start. If you read the posts upthread you will see the quoted text from the Pilgrims Office.
That doesn't mean that the volunteers don't have discretion to issue a Compostela to those who have walked farther but don't have two stamps per day for the last 100 km, but there's no guarantee - it's best to follow the rule, it makes it easier on the volunteers who help us.

I have received conflicting information on obtaining the Compostela.
I believe that is only if you only do the last 100Km. I did a full 800km with one a day and received my Compostela
This is an example of the incorrect or incomplete conflicting information that continues to circulate. (Sorry, @JMac TO , but we are reacting rather strongly in an effort to stamp out this misinformation.)

As @trecile has said the people in the Pilgrims Office seem to have discretion, but the official rule from the Cathedral Pilgrim Office is very clear. We have heard many examples that the rule is not enforced consistently, but we have also heard about examples where pilgrims left the office disappointed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suspect many of us have stories like this. But as others have said, the Pilgrim Office rule is clear - two a day and the minimum requirement for the compostela is 100 km walking, so two a day for the last 100 km. I would really not like it to suggest otherwise and have someone who relied on that advice be denied a compostela when they arrived.

But for most pilgrims, yes -- sad, but there have simply been too many cheats.
But they are cheating themselves…

Also, you can get compostelas at those two locations as well.

You can get other certificates in those places but they are not Compostelas - those are only issued by the pilgrim office and cathedral in Santiago.
Right. The other certificates are a Fisterrana and a Muxiana. There is also a "halfway" certificate in Sahagún, the Pedronía in Padrón, and the Salvadorana in Oviedo at the end of the Camino del Salvador. More info here:

You are mistaken. If you take taxis instead of walking the last 100km, you will not be counted as coming on foot.

Just to add some mud to the attempts at clarity…

If you are a super-walker and manage 40 km per day and get two stamps per day in the last 100 km, the pilgrim office volunteer will look at your credential and see only 5 stamps and wonder if you actually walked. They want to see progression, so if you walk long distances each day, you would be well served by getting extra stamps, to show that progression.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How did taxis get into this discussion? What @Texas Walker says is true, but why introduce this now? What have I missed?
Original post was questioning why the required walk is teh *last* 100km, they thought that since they'd walked 100km somewhen on the trail it should be enough.

Original post was questioning why the required walk is teh *last* 100km, they thought that since they'd walked 100km somewhen on the trail it should be enough.
Thanks for your response, but I'm still puzzled. It must be me not seeing the link here.

You don’t have to walk Sarria last 100km. You can choose other 100km routes ending in Santiago and get 2 stamps per day to get the cert. they want 3 eu for distance cert which I didn’t get however The lady at office didn’t really count the number of stamps I had. And quite honestly, it’s all about the walks and routes and if I ever walk there again, I don’t really care for the cert :) CP is beautiful and perhaps not overly packed. I also found walking before 7 or after 9 may avoid the main walkers as it can get busy and overwhelming at times.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"Parade with all the others...". Hmmmm, maybe it is just me but that sounded pretty sour. How do you know you won't meet some wonderful friends, help a stranger in need, or be helped by another complete stranger on that parade? Don't chose that route if it makes you grumpy.

I guess that one day we’ll get a question about how to get the “Get Out of Hell Free” card (Plenary Indulgence for the earnest researchers among the throng). Meanwhile most of the questions, and the endless discussion, seem to be about wallpaper.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No! It MUST be a recognized route. Something that has not been mentioned on this thread is that recognized routes includes designated ones in England, Ireland and most recently the U.S: 25kms walk to the cathedral in St Augustine, Florida. Any of these three, when combined with the Camino Ingles starting in O Coruna, will add up to more than 100kms and earn you a compostella.

No! It MUST be a recognized route.
It needs to be officially recognised at the Pilgrim Office that it's at least 100K+ contiguous to Compostela.

It's not the routes themselves, but it's a crackdown against mix'n'matching stuff like 70K on one route, bus, then 40K on another.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.