• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela starting from Mos?

MarieLauFlorin

Time of past OR future Camino
See list below
I am thinking of doing Portugues with two of my daughters i October. We will do Variante Espiritual. Will my daughters be able to receive a Compostela if we start in Mos? Usually it is Tui which is the last possible starting point. But as Espiritual is a detour of about 36 kilometers, would Mos be ok as a starting point?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mos is a tiny hamlet of a couple of houses, an albergue and a cafe. A strage place to start a Camino. If you start in Mos, make sure you have stamps that show you have walked and not taken the boat while on the Variante. I think it would be too bad not to take the boat as it an interesting way into Padron, passing oyster/mussles farms and the various cruceiros along the way.

Sorry, I should off course have mentioned this: I just returned from Variante Espiritual and decided to go again to do other steps than the last time. Last time I took the stages Tui - Redondela - Armenteira which I have decided to change to Mos - Pontevedra - Armenteira, beca use I found the tiny, calm centre of Mos very niceand because I want time to see Pontevedra this time. The same with the boat: I did it this time (amazing), and next time I am curious to see the landscape we sailed by last time. Plus I missed the beauty of the Ruta del Agua e del Piedra, because I had to walk it ind the dark at six in the morning, to be able to reach the boat in Vilanova de Arousa. And next time I also want to stay at Monastery HerbĂłn. So I am doing the Espiritual again with a new focus this time...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry, I should off course have mentioned this: I just returned from Variante Espiritual and decided to go again to do other steps than the last time. Last time I took the stages Tui - Redondela - Armenteira which I have decided to change to Mos - Pontevedra - Armenteira, beca use I found the tiny, calm centre of Mos very niceand because I want time to see Pontevedra this time. The same with the boat: I did it this time (amazing), and next time I am curious to see the landscape we sailed by last time. Plus I missed the beauty of the Ruta del Agua e del Piedra, because I had to walk it ind the dark at six in the morning, to be able to reach the boat in Vilanova de Arousa. And next time I also want to stay at Monastery HerbĂłn. So I am doing the Espiritual again with a new focus this time...
Makes perfect sense! Especially wanting to actually see the Ruta de Piedra & Agua. It’s absolutely magical.

I can imagine. It was a lesson for me that when you are in too much of a hurry, you miss life’s most magic moments. We had a fun walk in the dark, though.

Since Mos is 22k from Tui, wouldn't that make it fewer than 100k from Santiago, and as such not qualify for a Compostela?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Since Mos is 22k from Tui, wouldn't that make it fewer than 100k from Santiago, and as such not qualify for a Compostela?
But the stages are:
30 km from Mos to Pontevedra
2+21 km from Pontevedra to Armenteira
24 km from Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa
28 km from Vilanova de Arousa to PadrĂłn
25 km from PadrĂłn to Santiago

I think that is 130 km. I conclude it is important to walk the stage from Vilanova to PadrĂłn, otherwise it could be too short...

Last edited:
Ah, sorry! I was looking at the other route - since you are going through Vilanora de Arousa, that's a different calculation. Thank you for spelling it out - this variant has always interested me! Buen Camino!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You are right, it is going to be more than 100k. I am just not sure that the pilgrims Office will agree. But sinde I am going with two new beginners, the Compostela is important. So better start in Tui to be sure...

Makes sense!
I didn't realize they were likely to bicker about (what should be) 102 km not being long enough, particularly when it's largely an honor system, anyway.

The more I read about the variente Espiritual, the more I feel like it's a good choice for my first camino. Since it seems to add one day to the trip between Pontevedra and PadrĂłn (still trying to confirm that to be the norm), we will likely begin in Ramallosa, instead of Mougas (where we were going to start). But in your case, I would think starting in Tui, and taking the boat, would be better than starting in Mos and walking the third leg of the variente.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You Seem to know a Lot more about this route than me, then... I walked Variante Espiritual in October and took the boat. Next time I will walk that part of it. But what is the third leg of this camino? Does that mean the third stage?

And yes, the Variante Espiritual is about 36 km longer between Pontevedra and PadrĂłn than the central route. To me that meant one day extra, but I guess for many pilgrims it would be two days longer. Depends on how far you like to walk every day. The first day is really steep uphill - as steep as Camino Primitivo, actually.

Now I got it! You are probably starting with a part of the coastal route and then the Espiritual...

Yes.

We are starting on part of the coastal route, instead. My bad; I didn't mean to be confusing.

The third stage of the variante Espiritual to which I was referring was the part that most do by boat. I guess I was thinking of it in stages, from having used this site as my first source of information about the variant.
https://www.varianteespiritual.com/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am thinking of doing Portugues with two of my daughters i October. We will do Variante Espiritual. Will my daughters be able to receive a Compostela if we start in Mos? Usually it is Tui which is the last possible starting point. But as Espiritual is a detour of about 36 kilometers, would Mos be ok as a starting point?

From the Pilgrim's Office

To get the “Compostela” you must:
  • Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafĂ©s, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).

Children and pilgrimage. Children who make the pilgrimage with their parents or in groups, and have received the sacrament of Communion, or have the ability to understand the meaning of the spiritual or religious nature of the Way, can receive the “Compostela”. If they are not mature enough due to their young age, they are given a special certificate with their names. In the case of infants or very young children, their names are included on the parent or accompanying adult’s “Compostela”. If you are in any doubt, please contact us at the Pilgrim’s Reception Office so we can look at each individual case.

Hi, when you started at Mos did you qualify for 100km?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.