Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela to Muxia

Garyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Oct 2018
So many of you have answered all of my newbie questions, and have really help build the confidence of someone getting ready to start off on his first camino on Oct 9th. Now I have one more question, which may be a very naive one:

After going through the workbook I ordered on the Primitivo, I now realize that I will have some time left over once I get to Santiago de Compostela on Oct 21st from Oviedo before returning to Madrid to fly home Oct 28th, so I took the idea from another poster here to head to Muxia. My question is if there is a camino between SdC and Muxia, or do you just follow along the highway. I have searched to see if a route is discussed, but haven't really found anything of substance in the different threads. Many peregrinos write about walking there, but no mention of the route. I'm pretty sure there is a well known route between the two. Should I just let it unfold once I am ready to head to Muxia from SdC, and let the camino guide me there?

BTW: the information being shared on this website has been invaluable for someone not 100% sure what he has gotten himself into. Still can't believe I'm doing this. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So many of you have answered all of my newbie questions, and have really help build the confidence of someone getting ready to start off on his first camino on Oct 9th. Now I have one more question, which may be a very naive one:

After going through the workbook I ordered on the Primitivo, I now realize that I will have some time left over once I get to Santiago de Compostela on Oct 21st from Oviedo before returning to Madrid to fly home Oct 28th, so I took the idea from another poster here to head to Muxia. My question is if there is a camino between SdC and Muxia, or do you just follow along the highway. I have searched to see if a route is discussed, but haven't really found anything of substance in the different threads. Many peregrinos write about walking there, but no mention of the route. I'm pretty sure there is a well known route between the two. Should I just let it unfold once I am ready to head to Muxia from SdC, and let the camino guide me there?

BTW: the information being shared on this website has been invaluable for someone not 100% sure what he has gotten himself into. Still can't believe I'm doing this. Thanks!

Hi, Gary, Welcoe to the forum.

There is a whole subforum on the route to Finisterre and Muxia. Just scroll through, you’ll find a lot of info. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia.20/ From Santiago to Hospital anad its big ugly factory, it is all one route. You will go through Negreira, Vilaserio, and Olveiroa. At a very well marked spot, you turn left for Finisterre, right for Muxia. There is a great albergue in Dumbria, which is a nice 23 km or so from Muxia. Makes for a good stopping point. Good luck and let us know if you have questions. Buen camino, Laurie

Here's a good website for planning purposes: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/m/1s/guide/2-muxia-and-finisterre-way/route-list/#trails
And when you are in Santiago you can go to the tourist office and pick up a guide to the Finisterre/Muxia Caminos. They even have their own credential. I think that you can also pick up the credential/information at The Last Stamp albergue. If you have time, do the walk from Muxia to Finisterre. And make sure to stay in the Xunta albergue in Dumbria.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Its a lovely way Gary, I'm sure you will love it!

As well as stopping at the wonderful albergue in Dumbria, you will pass through the village of Senande. Stop there at cafe Coxa for the best ommelate in Spain! The bar owner is called Jesus, but his old mum Pilar makes the ommelates. They won't disappoint!

Davey

And yes, Muxia has its own "compostella" which you can get I believe at the municipal albergue, if my memory is working tonight. Anyway, I have one, and it is beautiful. I "third" the idea of the Dumbria municipal albergue....really modern, nice steel bunks, very nice bathrooms with separate private toilet and shower rooms. A whole laundry room (hand wash) and lines outside. No food there, though, so make sure you can walk another 1/2 mi or so to the great local eateries.

And yes, Muxia has its own "compostella" which you can get I believe at the municipal albergue, if my memory is working tonight. Anyway, I have one, and it is beautiful. I "third" the idea of the Dumbria municipal albergue....really modern, nice steel bunks, very nice bathrooms with separate private toilet and shower rooms. A whole laundry room (hand wash) and lines outside. No food there, though, so make sure you can walk another 1/2 mi or so to the great local eateries.
You can get the Muxiana at the tourist office in Muxia.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I stayed in the xunta albergue in Muxía last year. They sent me to the tourist office to obtain my "Muxiana". But the hospitalero is very friendly and the public albergue has a good standard (equipped kitchen, lockers for your backpack, rooftop terrace with furniture).

The private albergue Bela Muxia in which I stayed this year, is also very nice and there you can obtain your "Muxiana" from the reception desk, though the tourist office is next door.

Dumbria has a nice public albergue with an equipped kitchen. There is a small shop in the first bar of the village. If you want to do the camino in sections of +/- 25 km it is a good stop (Santiago-Negreira 23 km, Negreira-Sta. Marina 20 km, Sta. Marina-Dumbria 24 km, Dumbria-Muxía 24 km, Muxía-Fisterra 30 km with possiblilty to spent a night in Lires which is in the middle).

But comparing the different possibilities to walk to Fisterra and Muxía I would nevertheless prefer to walk to Fisterra first because of the beautyful views you enjoy even before reaching the ocean at Cee.

BC
Alexandra

The best place in Santiago de Compostella to get all the information about santiago to Muxía and Finisterra in in the Pilgrim Office, not the tourist office. It is a separate part of the Pilgrim Office from where you get your Compostella - the staff will happily guide you.
I went to Muxía first and then to Finisterre. It seemed logical to finish at the End of the World. I was glad I did, and I still am.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am so grateful to all of you for your wonderful information! Part of me realizes that a big part of the magic of walking the camino is meeting such wonderful pilgrims along the way. All of you have only strengthened that belief.

Some parts are along the road, but seldom for very long. There are arrows in both directions, as well as to Finisterre from Muxía.

And for anybody else that is interested, you can actually walk Muxía to Finisterre to Santiago and get a Compostella for it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back