• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela Update

Jflampert

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 CF, 2019 CF & CI, 2021 CF, 2023 CF
Just finished another great Camino and obtaining my Compostela couldn't have been easier or faster. Simply had to scan the the QPR code on the sign outside of the Pilgrim's Center, enter my data and then walked right in and got my Compestela. I arrived around 3:45 p.m. and walked out before 4:00. Assistance is a available for anyone having problems. Overall the entire Camino Frances from SJPD went great with adequate accommodations along the way. It was sad to see a number of facilities closed that I visited in the past but overall a great time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for that report! I’ll be there on Sunday and hope it goes as smoothly

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The ENTIRE issue with the new Compostela process is EDUCATION. Once most or all pilgrims understand they can submit data in advance, show their QR code, and speed up the entire process, for everyone, the entire process will accelerate.

Those of us who have worked with this new process are praying that the word gets out and people participate in advance submission of their data before the 2022 season starts.

Absent this, it is not possible to hire enough staff or engage enough volunteers to process the numbers of pilgrims anticipated for 2022. Only automating as much of the process as possible will ameliorate long lines and frustrated pilgrims.

The final point in this regard is that all pilgrims must plan enough time at Santiago to allow for at least one night at Santiago, preferably two, in case you are shut out of the Compostela process on your arrival day and are told to come back tomorrow. It happened a lot this year (2021).

Far too many pilgrims arrived thinking they could stroll in, get their Compostela, attend the noon pilgrim Mass, and catch a bus, train or plane out of Santiago later the same day. It has not been like this for several years. The COVID pandemic made it worse, with reduced staff and office hours. All the folks responsible for the Pilgrim Office are concerned about the 2022 season. With the Holy Year (with availability of the Jubilee Indulgence) extended another year by Papal Bull, until the end of 2022 liturgical year, the pent up demand across the world is going to hit as soon as it is safe to come out and do Camino.

Original estimates for the 2021 Holy Year before the COVID pandemic ranged from 650,000 to 700,000 pilgrim arrivals. The 2019 total was about 349,000. The 2021 arrival total will likely be about half of the 2019 number. All the COVID pandemic did was delay the inevitable surge of pilgrim arrivals from 2021 into 2022.

Be prepared! Plan for two nights in Santiago. Do not wait until you arrive to make reservations. During 2022, finding a bed is going to be difficult, especially during the peak season - May to September. Please plan ahead and early.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I'm not sure what the percentage of pilgrims that carry on to Finnistere, but a satellite Compestela office would be a cool thing. Get the Finnistere Compestela at the same time and I'm sure you would find ample volunteers who would like to spend extended time there (much cheaper accommodation too).

I'm not sure what the percentage of pilgrims that carry on to Finnistere, but a satellite Compestela office would be a cool thing. Get the Finnistere Compestela at the same time and I'm sure you would find ample volunteers who would like to spend extended time there (much cheaper accommodation too).
I beg to differ.

The Compostela is fully linked to finishing your pilgrimage in Santiago de Compostela , therefore the name.
If you want the Certificado de Distancia from the Oficina de Peregrinos that is also an option.

The Fisterrana is the certificate you get in Finisterre ( from tourism board and albergues ) and has nothing to do with the Cathedral.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I understand the sentiment, but have to disagree.

The Compostela is, in it's essence, a religious/spiritual document that is specific to completing a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela and the tomb of St James. I fully understand that many do not walk the Camino for a religious/spiritual purpose, and treat the Compostela as a type of trophy or souvenir, but even the instructions inside the Credencial are specific regarding the qualification for the Compostela:
  • The “Compostela” is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage with Christian sentiment: devotionis affectu, voti vel pietatis causa (motivated by devotion, vote or mercy). And it is only granted to those who make the pilgrimage to reach the Tomb of the Apostle, doing in full at least the last 100 kilometres on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bike or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot.
There is a distance certificate that is available from the Pilgrim Office in SdC which documents the distance that one has travelled to complete a Camino.

Sabine and Dave are spot-on. The Compostela is ONLY for having completed one of the approved pilgrimage routes INTO Santiago.

As long as you walk, and document the final 100 km of any approved route to the Cathedral (actually Plaza Obradoiro), you qualify for a Compostela. Cyclists must do the final 200 km on any approved route.

Thanks for the assist.

Tom

" ... or 100 nautical miles and last km on foot." That's one I've never heard of. Quite a mixture of units!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I’m pretty sure someone else will back me up on this but, sorry. The Compostela is awarded for pilgrimages to Santiago. Not to anywhere on the coast. You may be able to get a souvenir certificate on the coast line, but it won’t be a Compostela.

The ENTIRE issue with the new Compostela process is EDUCATION. Once most or all pilgrims understand they can submit data in advance, show their QR code, and speed up the entire process, for everyone, the entire process will accelerate.

Those of us who have worked with this new process are praying that the word gets out and people participate in advance submission of their data before the 2022 season starts.

Absent this, it is not possible to hire enough staff or engage enough volunteers to process the numbers of pilgrims anticipated for 2022. Only automating as much of the process as possible will ameliorate long lines and frustrated pilgrims.

The final point in this regard is that all pilgrims must plan enough time at Santiago to allow for at least one night at Santiago, preferably two, in case you are shut out of the Compostela process on your arrival day and are told to come back tomorrow. It happened a lot this year (2021).

Far too many pilgrims arrived thinking they could stroll in, get their Compostela, attend the noon pilgrim Mass, and catch a bus, train or plane out of Santiago later the same day. It has not been like this for several years. The COVID pandemic made it worse, with reduced staff and office hours. All the folks responsible for the Pilgrim Office are concerned about the 2022 season. With the Holy Year (with availability of the Jubilee Indulgence) extended another year by Papal Bull, until the end of 2022 liturgical year, the pent up demand across the world is going to hit as soon as it is safe to come out and do Camino.

Original estimates for the 2021 Holy Year before the COVID pandemic ranged from 650,000 to 700,000 pilgrim arrivals. The 2019 total was about 349,000. The 2021 arrival total will likely be about half of the 2019 number. All the COVID pandemic did was delay the inevitable surge of pilgrim arrivals from 2021 into 2022.

Be prepared! Plan for two nights in Santiago. Do not wait until you arrive to make reservations. During 2022, finding a bed is going to be difficult, especially during the peak season - May to September. Please plan ahead and early.

Hope this helps.

Tom
As a pilgrim not familiar with this, how does one submit data in advance? Is there a website? Thanks!

1. Go to this URL:

2. Click on the flag representing the language of your choice.
3. Follow the directions to fill out the information collection form
4. Submit the form.

You will receive a SMS message when you have submitted the information.
This is followed almost immediately by an email directing you to another link. This link has your QR code and alphanumeric code for the data record you just submitted.

PRESERVE BOTH THE SMS AND THE EMAIL / FIRST QR code.

This first QR code gets you into the Pilgrim Office, and results in staff giving you another receipt with a new QR code and a large number. The number is your place in the queue to be interviewed to receive a Compostela.

Hope this helps.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1. Go to this URL:

4. Submit the form.

This is followed almost immediately by an email directing you to another link. This link has your QR code and alphanumeric code for the data record you just submitted.

This first QR code gets you into the Pilgrim Office, and results in staff giving you another receipt with a new QR code and a large number. The number is your place in the queue to be interviewed to receive a Compostela.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you Tom,
I have sent that link to my email so I have it. I hope when we get to walk that I know how to use my new phone better than now. I just learned how to take a photo of a QR code this summer - taught by a waitress in a restaurant so I could see a menu! More complicated that I care for, but it is what it is. I'll adapt, but what of people who don't carry phones? I know there are probably only a handful (my husband being one of them)! Thanks again for the info. ☺️

They have paper forms available for those without smart phones or internet access.

This is correct, but the security folks will ensure that you do not have a smart phone before they resort to Plan B - giving you the single use paper form.

The purpose is to reduce multiple people touching the same surface (form, pen, clipboard, etc.) to reduce the chance of spreading the COVID virus. So, if you show up and ask for a form, expect the security fellow to ask to see your mobile phone.

That is why electronic, advance submission of data is highly preferred. I reduces the viral vectors and coincidentally speeds thing up a lot, especially at the counter.

Hope this helps.

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is correct, but the security folks will ensure that you do not have a smart phone before they resort to Plan B - giving you the single use paper form.

The purpose is to reduce multiple people touching the same surface (form, pen, clipboard, etc.) to reduce the chance of spreading the COVID virus. So, if you show up and ask for a form, expect the security fellow to ask to see your mobile phone.

That is why electronic, advance submission of data is highly preferred. I reduces the viral vectors and coincidentally speeds thing up a lot, especially at the counter.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I have a phone that is much smarter than me, so I only use it to answer/make phone calls. I don't know if I could do what is asked without assistance. :confused:

It also saves a lot of paper!

I have a phone that is much smarter than me, so I only use it to answer/make phone calls. I don't know if I could do what is asked without assistance. :confused:
Try it out now. Just go to the link that Tom provided. First you will have to choose your language, then agree to EU data protection rules. The next screen will say "Create a Group." Don't worry, that's the page that you want. Simply fill in the information and then click the ✔Create a group button.

Just like you should try out your backpack, shoes, rain gear, etc. before the Camino, you should try out and familiarize yourself with your technology before you go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The next screen will say "Create a Group." Don't worry, that's the page that you want. Simply fill in the information and then click the ✔Create a group button.
I'm not very techy...to put it lightly.🙄 If I was traveling solo I would have been perplexed, confused, and stymied when seeing that screen.😳
I just remembered that I do not care to collect more Compostelas so no worries for me.🙂

Last edited:
Try it out now. Just go to the link that Tom provided. First you will have to choose your language, then agree to EU data protection rules. The next screen will say "Create a Group." Don't worry, that's the page that you want. Simply fill in the information and then click the ✔Create a group button.

Just like you should try out your backpack, shoes, rain gear, etc. before the Camino, you should try out and familiarize yourself with your technology before you go.
I did go to that page and tried to enter our next camino. We want to start on the Camino Baztan in Bayonna, but even clicking on otro caminos I could not find that starting point. Maybe it is because I am using my home computer and not my phone. I can't try on my phone unless I walk about 1KM uphill to our mailbox to get a signal. It is pouring rain here so I think it will have to wait. ☂️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did go to that page and tried to enter our next camino. We want to start on the Camino Baztan in Bayonna, but even clicking on otro caminos I could not find that starting point.
I think that perhaps you could choose the Camino that you will be walking on when you enter Galicia. If you do decide to choose "otro caminos" you could pick "resto Galicia" for your starting point. The important thing is to do the initial registration.
I believe that the other information is for Pilgrim's Office statistics, and perhaps your distance certificate.

1. Go to this URL:

4. Submit the form.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Hi Tom, thank you for this information. I am guiding some groups next year and I just want to make sure I get this right. I see that when applying for Compostelas in advance, you can form a group application. Does this mean that only one qr code is issued for the group so only the group leader actually goes into the office in santiago or does every member get a qr code and have to collect their individual Compostela? Sorry if this has already been asked

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try it out now.
I did and ran into the same glitch that @witsendwv encountered.

Filling it out as for my last Camimo, starting in Irun on the Vasco, ending with the Invierno.
When you click 'otros caminos' you get a pull-down menu that looks like this:
20211109_183914.jpg
What to do - similar to @trecile's suggestion just put down the Invierno starting in Ponferrada instead, even though that's not where I actually started? And what about anyone starting at home somewhere outside of Spain?

What to do - similar to @trecile's suggestion just put down the Invierno starting in Ponferrada instead, even though that's not where I actually started? And what about anyone starting at home somewhere outside of Spain?
Their online setup is erratic and not well designed. It is centered on Galicia first and to some extent on Spain second. If you start outside of Spain you need to pick one of the major approach Caminos, essentially the Norte or the Frances option, which gives you a wider selection of starting points.

For the Norte for example "France C.N" and "Rest of Europe", and for the Frances the names of a few major cities, a good collection of European countries including "France C.F.", another "Rest of Europe" option and, bizarrely, "Australia" and "Egypt" but no other non-European countries, not even Israel where more pilgrims come from than from Egypt.

Nothing of this really matters for the pilgrim's Compostela because none of these data will appear on it. They will go into their monthly and yearly statistics ... As for the Distance Certificate, you can ask the staff or volunteer at the desk to put the name of your starting point on the paper and the names of the Caminos that you would like to see there.

Just finished another great Camino and obtaining my Compostela couldn't have been easier or faster. Simply had to scan the the QPR code on the sign outside of the Pilgrim's Center, enter my data and then walked right in and got my Compestela. I arrived around 3:45 p.m. and walked out before 4:00. Assistance is a available for anyone having problems. Overall the entire Camino Frances from SJPD went great with adequate accommodations along the way. It was sad to see a number of facilities closed that I visited in the past but overall a great time.
Thanks for this info, Jflampert.

Does this process require a smartphone or just a tablet with a camera and WIFI?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Tom, thank you for this information. I am guiding some groups next year and I just want to make sure I get this right. I see that when applying for Compostelas in advance, you can form a group application. Does this mean that only one qr code is issued for the group so only the group leader actually goes into the office in santiago or does every member get a qr code and have to collect their individual Compostela? Sorry if this has already been asked
Only the group leader receives the confirmatory SMS message and the first QR code. This enables security to admit only the leader to the office. The leader must have all the properly completed credencials when he/she enters the group office.

None of the other group members need be present. The UST have fully completed the inside front of the credencial booklet, and MUST have all the necessary sellos / stamps.

Staff will accept the credencials, provide a receipt and tell the group leader when to return for the completed Compostelas (and Distance Certificates) if requested up-front. When the group leader returns later as instructed, he/she will be given each credencial, usually with the corresponding Compostela / Distance Certificate inserted.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Only the group leader receives the confirmatory SMS message and the first QR code. This enables security to admit only the leader to the office. The leader must have all the properly completed credencials when he/she enters the group office.

None of the other group members need be present. The UST have fully completed the inside front of the credencial booklet, and MUST have all the necessary sellos / stamps.

Staff will accept the credencials, provide a receipt and tell the group leader when to return for the completed Compostelas (and Distance Certificates) if requested up-front. When the group leader returns later as instructed, he/she will be given each credencial, usually with the corresponding Compostela / Distance Certificate inserted.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you Tom that's extremely helpful 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did it this year and assistance was on hand, I needed it. The big problem was although I had put my language as English the question what country are you from had a drop down box with the answers in Spanish. I hope this is not the same on the online one. I will need to learn what England, Great Britain and United Kingdom are in Spanish.

No one should be stressed by this (almost) final step in your Camino. There are officials on hand to help you, other pilgrims, multilingual folks, paper forms if your phone doesn’t work, other people’s phones, and so on. It sounds confusing and scary, but it really isn’t. It will all be okay.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.