• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostelas in Finisterra

Laura Gruen

Time of past OR future Camino
From Roncesvalles beginning April 13, 2015
I walked the Camino Frances last spring and plan to walk Santiago to Finisterra in September. Can I get a compostela for just that last part, or do I need to bring proof that I completed the SJP to Santiago part to apply for a compostela in Finisterra?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Only the Cathedral issues compostelas. Others may issue some sort of certificate of completion. :)

They set their own criteria.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A Fisterana, a certificate of completion, is issued by the Concello de Fisterra and is available from the Municipal Albergue. A Credencial dedicated to the Camino Fisterra is available from the Galician Tourist Office in Rua Vilar in Santiago. Make sure you get a minimum of two stamps per day. If you walk on to Muxia via Lires (get a stamp) you can also claim a Muxiana. Neither will get you out of Purgatory but they look pretty on my study wall :p

Edit: I believe that if you walk the entire Santiago / Fisterra / Muxia / Santiago triangle you will be able to request a Compostella as you would have walked more than 100K to Santiago. But you might want to check that one out with the Pilgrims' Office.

One little addition to these posts -- if you walk into Muxia from Santiago, you are eligible for another "certificate" -- but if you want it,make sure you get your credential stamped in Lires, the town half way between Finisterre and Muxia. If you walk from Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre, of course, you won't have walked that stretch yet when you get to Muxia, but make sure you have stamps from reasonably spaced intervals. Whether it's a reality or not, the people in Muxia seem to think there are a lot of potential "cheaters" out there who want their Muxiana without having really walked.

And yes, Tinkater, John has confirmed in the past that if you walk 100 km INTO Santiago, you are eligible for the Compostela.

only from personal experience, if you end up in Muxia/Fisterra, and have a stamp from sjdp..you will get your certificate

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A Fisterana, a certificate of completion, is issued by the Concello de Fisterra and is available from the Municipal Albergue. A Credencial dedicated to the Camino Fisterra is available from the Galician Tourist Office in Rua Vilar in Santiago. Make sure you get a minimum of two stamps per day. If you walk on to Muxia via Lires (get a stamp) you can also claim a Muxiana. Neither will get you out of Purgatory but they look pretty on my study wall :p

Edit: I believe that if you walk the entire Santiago / Fisterra / Muxia / Santiago triangle you will be able to request a Compostella as you would have walked more than 100K to Santiago. But you might want to check that one out with the Pilgrims' Office.
That is just what I had hoped. Thanks for the info.

Do we get anything with our old (or new) credentials walking from Santiago to Muxia?

Yes, as we've said above, you can get a Muxiana. A particularly pretty bit of paper. Obtainable from the municipal albergue but as @peregrina2000 says the Muxians seem very particular that you have walked so get as many sellos as you can manage as you go and in particular if you walk from Fisterrra to Muxia get a stamp in Lires. If you walk directly from Santiago to Muxia you do get to stay in the spectacular Albergue at Dumbria and on a good day get to eat the Albondigas at O Arxentino :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As Tincatinker notes the Dumbria albergue is spectacular! It is located on the eastern side of the village next to the local sport hall. If when you arrive the large glass door appears closed just push it, enter and choose a bunk. The helpful hospitalero arrives about 17:00 to stamp your Crendencial and take the fee. Great showers plus sub-floor heat in winter.

Last year I walked from St Jean to Santiago and then walked on to Finisterre then to Muxia and from Muxia back to Santiago so I can confirm that I was able to collect 2 Compostelas, 1 Finisterra and 1 Muxiana.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After walking from SJPP to Santiago and collecting my Compostela, I walked to Finisterre and got my Fisterrana, then walked on to Muxia and got my Muxiana. After walking back to Santiago I then got another Compostela for completing over 100kms from Finisterre to Santiago via Muxia. If you walk the coast circuit to Muxia first then Finisterre and back to Santiago, you would qualify for a Compostela for completing over a 100kms from Muxia to Santiago via Finisterre.

When walking between Finisterre and Muxia in either direction, you must get a stamp at Lires to qualify for the Fisterrana or Muxiana.

I didn't get the stamp in Lires (stayed there though) and they gave me the Muxiana. Think I just got a nice person a good day though

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I didn't realise that a Fisterana was available. After Santiago I kept walking to Finisterra getting stamps in my "Way of St James"credentials. Does anyone know if I contact the municipal albergue and send them a copy of my credentials I'll be able to have a Fisterana sent to me?

I'll pay for the postage obviously.

Does anybody know the contact details for the albergue?
Edit: http://www.urcamino.com/camino-de-fisterra/fisterra/albergue

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back