A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Compostelas

Jaime Trevino Elizondo

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances caminando desde SJPP hasta SDC
Hi I have a question hope you can help. I started El Camino from SJPDP on May 17 on a bicycle, I need to drop my bile (rental) in Arzua then walk to Santiago more or less 40kms. Can I still get my compostela if I biked 700kms and walk only 40kms ???

Advertisment

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Reprinted from the SdC Pilgrim's Office website

To get the “Compostela” you must:
  • Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).
Children and pilgrimage. Children who make the pilgrimage with their parents or in groups, and have received the sacrament of Communion, or have the ability to understand the meaning of the spiritual or religious nature of the Way, can receive the “Compostela”. If they are not mature enough due to their young age, they are given a special certificate with their names. In the case of infants or very young children, their names are included on the parent or accompanying adult’s “Compostela”. If you are in any doubt, please contact us at the Pilgrim’s Reception Office so we can look at each individual case.

Annaluisa

Camino(s) past & future
April May 2018
Hi I have a question hope you can help. I started El Camino from SJPDP on May 17 on a bicycle, I need to drop my bile (rental) in Arzua then walk to Santiago more or less 40kms. Can I still get my compostela if I biked 700kms and walk only 40kms ???
Bike 200km. Walk 100km. = Compostela :)

Annaluisa

Camino(s) past & future
April May 2018
Hi. Meant to say. Walk last 100km to Santiago from Sarriá. Plus 2-3 stamps per day to demonstrate you didn't cab it or bus it.
Buen Camino

Advertisment

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
Please report back on your actual experience. It is an interesting question.

David Tallan

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
Bike 200km. Walk 100km. = Compostela :)
It sounds so simple. And it would be, were they looking at the whole journey. But he isn't biking the last 200 km. Nor is he walking the last 100km.

Personally, it seems to me that the intent is for him to complete the last stretch under his own power. Walking seems to count twice as much as cycling. By this calculation, he has done more than the required any way you look at it.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June