• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostella (I meant Credencial)

Pancho

Peregrino 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
Starting in León can anyone give me a location to acquire a compostella for my journey?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
HI Pancho! I believe you mean "Credential", the document pilgrims stamp along the journey, right?

You can get one in the Cathedral of Leon, one of the most beautiful along the way.

For the Compostella itself, you will only get one in Santiago, upon the completion of your journey. Remember to stamp you credential twice a day once you pass the city Sarria (100km from Satiago) to qualify for one.

HI Pancho! I believe you mean "Credential", the document pilgrims stamp along the journey, right?

You can get one in the Cathedral of Leon, one of the most beautiful along the way.

For the Compostella itself, you will only get one in Santiago, upon the completion of your journey. Remember to stamp you credential twice a day once you pass the city Sarria (100km from Satiago) to qualify for one.

Yes that’s it. Thank you I thought from my readings it was called compostella. Sounds right to get it that at the end. Thanks again

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Starting in León can anyone give me a location to acquire a compostella for my journey?

Credential for the trip, This will act as your passport to access albergues, Compostella you get in Santiago upon completion of your Pilgrimage.

Ultreya,
Joe

Just a warning. We were told that too, but at the cathedral, at about 10am, we were told they didn’t have them, but the albergue around the corner has.

When we got there we discovered that the albergue had closed, re-opening at 2pm.

Maybe we were just unlucky and the cathedral had run out of stock.

We finally got one at the Albergue del Convento de las Carbajalas, which opened up at 11am, but there was a long queue for checking in, and we just had to wait our turn to buy the credencial:

https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/leon/albergue-convento-carbajalas

“Expiden la Credencial 2 euros”.

We could finally then get on our way at about midday.
Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We got our second credenciales in Leon when it became clear that one wouldn't be enough to hold our sells. We also got them at the convent albergue.

Hello.

Just a couple of corrections.

The name is compostela, like the name of the city Santiago de Compostela, not compostella; just one "L". In Spaniard Spanish that word would sound like composteya. L and LL have very different sounds in Spanish.

The rule of stamping twice a day is just for those who starts in Sarria walking the last 100 kms only. Starting in Leon you don't need to do it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The name is compostela, like the name of the city Santiago de Compostela, not compostella; just one "L". In Spaniard Spanish that word would sound like composteya. L and LL have very different sounds in Spanish.
I was just thinking of posting the sane thing. :)

The rule of stamping twice a day is just for those who starts in Sarria walking the last 100 kms only. Starting in Leon you don't need to do it.

That's not how the Pilgrims Office website reads. It states: "The credential must be sealed twice a day at least in the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback.)"

That's pretty clear. No mention of being exempt if you started somewhere further back.

I'm sure none of us wants to be responsible for someone else not receiving the Compostela because we have gave out false information.

Yes, many pilgrims state they only got one stamp per day and still got the Compostela. Others have not. And if the office decides to enforce its rules....

Why confuse new pilgrims? The website is very clear, and American Pilgrims on the Camino prints it right on the credential. And two stamps a day is hardly onerous. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back