A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Compostella (I meant Credencial)

Pancho

Peregrino Nuevo
Camino(s) past & future
September 2018
Starting in León can anyone give me a location to acquire a compostella for my journey?

Advertisment

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (Planning)
HI Pancho! I believe you mean "Credential", the document pilgrims stamp along the journey, right?

You can get one in the Cathedral of Leon, one of the most beautiful along the way.

For the Compostella itself, you will only get one in Santiago, upon the completion of your journey. Remember to stamp you credential twice a day once you pass the city Sarria (100km from Satiago) to qualify for one.

Pancho

Peregrino Nuevo
Camino(s) past & future
September 2018
HI Pancho! I believe you mean "Credential", the document pilgrims stamp along the journey, right?

You can get one in the Cathedral of Leon, one of the most beautiful along the way.

For the Compostella itself, you will only get one in Santiago, upon the completion of your journey. Remember to stamp you credential twice a day once you pass the city Sarria (100km from Satiago) to qualify for one.
Yes that’s it. Thank you I thought from my readings it was called compostella. Sounds right to get it that at the end. Thanks again

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), Primitivo(13), Norte(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18)
Starting in León can anyone give me a location to acquire a compostella for my journey?
Credential for the trip, This will act as your passport to access albergues, Compostella you get in Santiago upon completion of your Pilgrimage.

Ultreya,
Joe

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
Just a warning. We were told that too, but at the cathedral, at about 10am, we were told they didn’t have them, but the albergue around the corner has.

When we got there we discovered that the albergue had closed, re-opening at 2pm.

Maybe we were just unlucky and the cathedral had run out of stock.

We finally got one at the Albergue del Convento de las Carbajalas, which opened up at 11am, but there was a long queue for checking in, and we just had to wait our turn to buy the credencial:

https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/leon/albergue-convento-carbajalas

“Expiden la Credencial 2 euros”.

We could finally then get on our way at about midday.
Jill

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
We got our second credenciales in Leon when it became clear that one wouldn't be enough to hold our sells. We also got them at the convent albergue.

Pamsan

Camino(s) past & future
15,16,17,18 & on

Hello.

Just a couple of corrections.

The name is compostela, like the name of the city Santiago de Compostela, not compostella; just one "L". In Spaniard Spanish that word would sound like composteya. L and LL have very different sounds in Spanish.

The rule of stamping twice a day is just for those who starts in Sarria walking the last 100 kms only. Starting in Leon you don't need to do it.

Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
The name is compostela, like the name of the city Santiago de Compostela, not compostella; just one "L". In Spaniard Spanish that word would sound like composteya. L and LL have very different sounds in Spanish.
I was just thinking of posting the sane thing. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (fall 2018)
The rule of stamping twice a day is just for those who starts in Sarria walking the last 100 kms only. Starting in Leon you don't need to do it.
That's not how the Pilgrims Office website reads. It states: "The credential must be sealed twice a day at least in the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback.)"

That's pretty clear. No mention of being exempt if you started somewhere further back.

I'm sure none of us wants to be responsible for someone else not receiving the Compostela because we have gave out false information.

Yes, many pilgrims state they only got one stamp per day and still got the Compostela. Others have not. And if the office decides to enforce its rules....

Why confuse new pilgrims? The website is very clear, and American Pilgrims on the Camino prints it right on the credential. And two stamps a day is hardly onerous. :)

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 102 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 165 25.4%