• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comprehensive packing list

• Thread starter Deleted member 84269
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 84269

For anyone looking for a good packing list from a three time pilgrim

So you’ve made the big decision to walk the camino. Congratulations! It’ll be the best decision you’ll ever make. Now you need to decide what to carry. Having walked the Camino Francés twice and Camino Portuguese once, here’s my suggestions. This minimalistic approach should serve you at any time of the year. Remember: less is more!

1. Clothing

3 pairs of boxers, 2 pairs of shorts, quick drying zip off walking trousers, pair of tracksuit bottoms (for cold nights), 1 sleeveless t-shirt, 1 t-shirt, 1 long sleeved t-shirt (weighs less than a jumper), 2 pairs of hiking socks, flip flops (give your feet some air after a hard day), waterproof jacket (doubles up as warm evening wear), quick drying travel towel, poncho, warm hat & gloves (can get cold in the mountains even in summer).

***When you finish walking at the end of the day, rinse the underwear and socks you wore on the road in the shower and hang them out to dry. They’ll be ready to put on the next day. If for some reason they don’t dry (inclement weather), use a safety pin to hang them on your rucksack and dry while you’re walking.***

2. Essentials & Financials

Passport, travel insurance, debit/pre-paid credit card, fake wallet containing expired bank cards (in case you get into trouble), body belt wallet that slips under clothes.

3. Sentimentals

Journal & pen, dictaphone.

4. Optional Extras

MP3 player & digital camera (because your smart phone is switched off right?), plastic cutlery (please recycle), roll mat, clothes pegs, inflatable pillow, binoculars, high vis stickers on backpack for roadside walking (sadly nearly 100km is close to traffic), safety pins, mobile phone (full charged, switched off at all times and for use in emergencies only. Whilst walking it’s time to have a digital detox!).

5. Security & Survival

Headlamp (imperative for that middle of the night visit to the loo in the albergues), plasters and Vaseline for blisters, mini sunblock, sun cream & after sun, guidebook, cap, black plastic bag (to keep clothes dry), sleeping bag, ear plugs and blind fold, Flexiflask (has a tube from side pockets of rucksack you can suck water from while you walk).

6. Toiletries

Toothbrush, mini toothpaste, roll-on deodorant.

[Edit: ivar added the content of the blog post linked below]

https://caminosantiagoblogcom.wordpress.com/2018/10/17/camino-kit-list/

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are going in Sept/Oct time of year you better keep the head torch. The Albergue wants you out by 8:00am and it does not get light till 9:00 or later. I walked many mornings with head torch on unless you can find an open coffee shop.
Sunrise is at 8:30 to 08:45 ( before the clocks change) so it will be light enough to walk from 07:30 and getting brighter. If you are walking alone your eyes will adjust more quickly when not using a headlamp, you will be surprised how well you can see when your Night vision is not ruined by others headlamp.

Sunrise is at 8:30 to 08:45 ( before the clocks change) so it will be light enough to walk from 07:30 and getting brighter. If you are walking alone your eyes will adjust more quickly when not using a headlamp, you will be surprised how well you can see when your Night vision is not ruined by others headlamp.
Use a phone app on low with a red filter.

For anyone looking for a good packing list from a three time pilgrim

https://caminosantiagoblogcom.wordpress.com/2018/10/17/camino-kit-list/
Fairly minimalist but in 30+ years of wearing Hi-Vis I have yet to find a vest that will fit over a backpack and it's the view from behind you that you need to be concerned about - you can see what's happening ahead and get out of the way if necessary.
Dictaphone - do they still make those? Need batteries and you'll probably find there's an app on your smart phone already (switch to airplane mode to save juice).
REALLY big deodorant if you're not planning to take soap/shampoo ;)
Not sure what you mean by "1 sleeveless t-shirt, 1 t-shirt "?
"roll mat, ground sheet " what for?
Binoculars - I spend most of my trudge time looking at people's heels and calves or footprints in the mud and dust!

Thanks for your feedback shell mates! To reply to the above points:

- If you wash today's underwear then use it the following morning the other set will never have a chance to be washed.
Maybe I should've mentioned going commando when you're washing your other pair? Two pairs of underwear has always served me but I appreciate others might not be comfortable with that and might wanna take more. My approach is minimalistic.

- Pretty good list, but too many pants...
If your zip off trousers get wet, you'll need a warm pair for the albergue. I got soaked on the portuguese camino in December and was relieved I had the spare pair to warm me up in the Albergue.

- And please don't wear a headlamp in the albergues at night!
Please suggest an alternative for making it to the toilets or for some guidebook reading. A headlamp used in the right way should not disturb anyone (I also recommend packing a blindfold). Powerful torches will wake disturb people. It's a better alternative in my opinion:) Also comes in early for those 5am starts in the dark. Sure your eyes adjust to the night vision but you might want double check a scary looking object or suspect looking terrain. and shine a light on it.

- Dictaphone - do they still make those? Need batteries and you'll probably find there's an app on your smart phone already (switch to airplane mode to save juice).

I'm a BIG believer that a camino is time to disconnect. Hence the smartphone is fully charged but switched off in the bag. Used in emergencies only. Yes they still make dictaphones (see link below). So for a complete digital detox to get the most out of your Camino, I recommend, carrying one with a digital camera to take photos.
https://www.independent.co.uk/extra...ccessories-recording-interviews-a8441061.html

- Fairly minimalist but in 30+ years of wearing Hi-Vis...
Hi vis stickers on your backpack (straps included for sight from the front) not putting a vest over your backpack. I probably should've been more specific.

- Not sure what you mean by "1 sleeveless t-shirt, 1 t-shirt "?
Sleeveless t-shirt you wear on the road, normal t-shirt you wear when finished walking for the day.
- "roll mat, ground sheet, Binoculars"
Please note these were in"optional extras" but to answer your question what for? roll mat for laying out when you picnic by a stream or under a tree or for sleeping on the floor if albergue is full (they weight next to nothing and always come in handy). Binoculars for checking the road ahead if you think you're lost. Again they were "optional extras." The ground sheet is a mistake and needs deleting so thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks so much for your feedback:))

Still think you should swap out the dictaphone for a bar of soap ;)

Going non-digital but still carrying a dictaphone (pretty sure that's digital), an mp3 player and a digital camera? Use the smartphone and, if you're REALLY feeling isolationist, take out the SIM card (keep it safe though).

Use a red, cotton bandana as a filter over the flashlight/app - red doesn't bugger up your (and other people's) night vision like other colours do.

Kip mat, never had to sleep on the floor in 6 Caminos - if you find you need one there are dozens dumped by pilgrims along the way :)

Last edited:
Jeff this depends on personal preferences. If you do need your phone in emergencies you could waste valuable life saving time/energy looking for/fitting the sim card.

I like to write so the dictaphone is a must for me for recording my thoughts. When I say non-digital I guess I'm really saying not having the web distracting you and having that urge to "just check" emails, social media etc.

A digital camera and dictaphone enhance my camino, whereas the distraction of a mobile phone does the opposite for me personally. Again these are all personal preferences. If you prefer to have your phone in hand go for it. I personally like to have it out of sight and out of mind.

As for the roll mat/kip mate, again personal preference. You could live without it yes, but I found it comes in handy.

Great tip this by the way - "Use a red, cotton bandana as a filter over the flashlight/app - red doesn't bugger up your (and other people's) night vision like other colours do." Thanks:)

Buen camino fellow 'grino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Still think you should swap out the dictaphone for a bar of soap ;)

this made me chuckle! more often than not the albergues have shower gel left over/donated by pilgrims come and gone that you can use. I like to take my chances on this one!

I don't understand having to go commando. After my shower I put on my clean underwear that I had washed the day before, then wash the ones that I just took off, along with the other clothes that I was wearing that day.

And sure, you can use a headlamp to navigate to the bathroom at night, but don't wear it on your head! You can cup it in your hand, and keep the light facing down. However, I just use the light from my smartphone screen. Another thing you can't do with a dictaphone. :p

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe the darkness just followed me, but I needed the head torch others may not.B8023321-BFEF-4109-93BE-084F8903C353.jpegB8023321-BFEF-4109-93BE-084F8903C353.jpeg

- If you wash today's underwear then use it the following morning the other set will never have a chance to be washed.
Maybe I should've mentioned going commando when you're washing your other pair? Two pairs of underwear has always served me but I appreciate others might not be comfortable with that and might wanna take more. My approach is minimalistic.

If your zip off trousers get wet, you'll need a warm pair for the albergue. I got soaked on the portuguese camino in December and was relieved I had the spare pair to warm me up in the Albergue.

Please suggest an alternative for making it to the toilets or for some guidebook reading. A headlamp used in the right way should not disturb anyone (I also recommend packing a blindfold). Powerful torches will wake disturb people. It's a better alternative in my opinion:) Also comes in early for those 5am starts in the dark. Sure your eyes adjust to the night vision but you might want double check a scary looking object or suspect looking terrain. and shine a light on it.

- Dictaphone - do they still make those? Need batteries and you'll probably find there's an app on your smart phone already (switch to airplane mode to save juice).

I'm a BIG believer that a camino is time to disconnect. Hence the smartphone is fully charged but switched off in the bag. Used in emergencies only. Yes they still make dictaphones (see link below). So for a complete digital detox to get the most out of your Camino, I recommend, carrying one with a digital camera to take photos.
https://www.independent.co.uk/extra...ccessories-recording-interviews-a8441061.html

Hi vis stickers on your backpack (straps included for sight from the front) not putting a vest over your backpack. I probably should've been more specific.

Sleeveless t-shirt you wear on the road, normal t-shirt you wear when finished walking for the day.
Please note these were in"optional extras" but to answer your question what for? roll mat for laying out when you picnic by a stream or under a tree or for sleeping on the floor if albergue is full (they weight next to nothing and always come in handy). Binoculars for checking the road ahead if you think you're lost. Again they were "optional extras." The ground sheet is a mistake and needs deleting so thanks for pointing it out!

look up LED keychain lights on Amazon. I used a single LED keychain light within the Albergue and it worked great. I agree that head torches should not be used inside Albergue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe the darkness just followed me, but I needed the head torch others may not.View attachment 47690View attachment 47690
Yep I needed mine too, especially to find those yellow arrow in the dark. A head torch is for me a key item - I wouldn't walk without it. Never use it inside, but I walked early to avoid the heat, and had at least an 30 minutes - 1 hour each morning when my head torch was necessary.

How cold do the slbedgues get during the night?
March/April - quite to very chilly. Pretty well guaranteed snow over the Pyrenees.
Average daytime temperature for this year on 9th April (for no other reason than it's my daughter's birthday):
Roncesvalles 6 degrees
Pamplona 6
Logrono 7
Burgos 1
Leon 6
Astorga 6
Melide 9
SdC 9

A lot of the minimum temperatures for those easterly towns was 0 degrees. Of course that's outside but the Spanish aren't renowned for interior heating in older buildings, in newer/refurbished ones you can roast!
Wrap yourself up like your mum did when she sent you to school!

Last edited:
I don't understand having to go commando. After my shower I put on my clean underwear that I had washed the day before, then wash the ones that I just took off, along with the other clothes that I was wearing that day.

And sure, you can use a headlamp to navigate to the bathroom at night, but don't wear it on your head! You can cup it in your hand, and keep the light facing down. However, I just use the light from my smartphone screen. Another thing you can't do with a dictaphone. :p
Shall we start a new thread "Things you can't do with a dictaphone"? ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I now carry two lights: One is a very small keychain LED light that I wear on a lanyard around my neck - day and night. Always at hand in the middle of the night, and hanging from my neck it lights up the path a few feet in front of me indoors or out (keeps me from stumbling more than usual!). Unfortunately not rechargeable, but the batteries are small and light so carrying a spare or two isn't a problem

The other is one a small rechargeable red bicycle light - I can select either flashing or steady. I can use the steady red in the albergues to save everyone's night vision, and then attach it to my pack in flashing mode to catch the attention of any vehicles if the path is along a road. I prefer the flasher on the pack over hi-viz stickers that never seem to want to actually stick.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.