• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compression bags for clothes packing?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2022
C Portuguese 2023
Anyone use the roll-out style compression bags for clothing? Does the benefit of less space outweigh the physical requirements of rolling these things up every morning? The look like a good, light way to pack / protect clothes in the pack, but I don’t know how onerous they would be to manage every day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No but I do pack my stuff in zipped plastic bags. Serves 2 purposes. Keeps stuff dry and easy to find , and would make things difficult for bedbugs to spread throughout all my stuff. I pack my clothes in outfits (I take 2), plus jackets. Additional underwear and socks have their own bag.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone use the roll-out style compression bags for clothing? Does the benefit of less space outweigh the physical requirements of rolling these things up every morning? The look like a good, light way to pack / protect clothes in the pack, but I don’t know how onerous they would be to manage every day.

Works perfectly for me. No hassle to manage at all.
Sleepingbag in one, clean clothes in another one, a third for underwear and socks.
Your clothes get creased anyway...;)

I guess it depends on your personal preferences.

I use 'm all the time. I always roll it up in the evening, so I don't have to bother about in in the morning. But I could do it the other way round: thinking about it it's hardly any effort at all.

And it helps me pack my backpack much more efficiently.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depending what time of the year and region you are walking.

In summer 2019 I had my clothes in Mesh-Bags for managing, so the can hung outside my b/p and can air out or dry.

In Summer 2021 while crossing the Alps I used rollable drybags for keeping my clothes dry. Lucky me that I got them, b/c we had thunderstorm and rain several days.

HTH

I used rollable drybags as well. Less for compression, but i guess that works too, but for an added layer of safety (which turned out i did not need).
Added benefit was that with the clips I could hang them on the bars of most bunk beds, makes for better order and faster packing in the morning plus i did not like to place items on the floor.

As with @Roland49 I use mesh bags for my clothes to separate dirty from clean. I also have one large rollable dry bag that lines the inside my rucksack that everything goes into, to keep the lot dry in case of rain.

Everything gets scrunched up anyway to save space, so, no need to be careful how its packed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No but I do pack my stuff in zipped plastic bags. Serves 2 purposes. Keeps stuff dry and easy to find , and would make things difficult for bedbugs to spread throughout all my stuff. I pack my clothes in outfits (I take 2), plus jackets. Additional underwear and socks have their own bag.
that is exactly the system I follow! 1 outfit, one bag. I find the ones from IKEA are particularly sturdy, have double zip, and survive even for several caminos! They resist serious pushing and squeezing, then keep tight, beautiful!

I always use a waterproof sack (good quality ones allow compression via expelling all the air). All my fabric items go in, I put it on the bed then sit on it to expell most of the air, roll up the collar between my legs. Reduces the volume by 50% at least. Does not let too much air back in during the walk. Ortlieb ones are very light. I also take a small one for electronics and other bits n bobs, that way I don’t need a pack cover and an odd downpour simply gives my pack and the sweaty shoulder straps get a nice bath/shower/rinsing.

For the amount of gear you will need on the Camino compression sacks would seem a waste of time. Simply put a waterproof liner inside your pack and shove everything in. Roll/fold it by all means but no need for any protection inside the pack and compression sacks will only be extra weight and a pain in the arse to pack each morning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't carry enough clothing on the Camino to need compression bags. I do have a couple of generic nylon bags with the pull string closure I keep my stuff just for ease of taking stuff in and out of my pack.

I use a dyneema pack liner, and separate dry bags for clean clothes, dirty clothes, and my quilt + silk travel sheet. I have different color drybags for easy identification. All of the bags are rolltop closure and not really compression. I do not use a pack cover in the rain. I also employ the same system on canoes trips etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like @Anamiri I used ziplock plastic bags. I could see what was inside, match it up with what should have been inside and set it aside when correct. Then I would count the bags and thus know I wasn't leaving anything behind. The contents of each bag could be compressed easily and when the bag was zipped would remain compressed (and dry). Cheap too.

I have one large dry bag for my pack (40 L) and several different colored small ones for the rest of my stuff that go inside the big one. I compress them all and never have to worry about anything getting wet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The most compact and even packing in the main compartment of a top loading backpack one may achieve with so called "wrinkle packing" - nothing is folded, no any bags or ziplocks, just stuff everything in and compress with a fist. Sure, the clothes become extraordinary wrinkled, what is additional benefit for starting to feel like real pilgrim!

I’ve always done it this way and you can roll out must of the air if you use the ones with the zipper on the top. Also use a

Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sack to put my pack when checking it at the airport and then put inside the pack for a waterproof liner​

Last edited:
I don't use compression bags, but I do separate things into nysil bags.
I use a top loader so it makes it easier to find things
1. shirts/pants/skirt
2. cold weather gear
3. panties/socks
4. laundry (safety pins, clothesline, soap)
5. bath (soap, toothbrush, deodorant, toothpaste)

I use the Sea to Summit nano dry bags, which weigh next to nothing. I find that putting my sleeping bag and down blanket (winter/spring caminos) and squeezing all the air out makes the dry bag rigid enough to help stiffen the frameless Golite pack that I use. Works for me!

I use dry bags that you can squeeze all the ir out of when you are packing. They help me organise my stuff and keep dry in the event of rain. Smallish ones are best and I have five which makes for a very tidy rucksack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't use compression bags, but I do separate things into nysil bags.
I use a top loader so it makes it easier to find things
1. shirts/pants/skirt
2. cold weather gear
3. panties/socks
4. laundry (safety pins, clothesline, soap)
5. bath (soap, toothbrush, deodorant, toothpaste)
This is how I do it. After trying many of the other methods this is the one that worked best for me for the last 5-week Camino I walked.

I'm a big fan of the SegSac "HoboRoll". It compresses everything and has multiple compartments so I can keep things organized. Also weighs nearly nothing. Not waterproof, but I've used a simple plastic bag and my pack cover when rain is in the forecast. Downside is that it's not particularly cheap ($35US)

I've always used the color coded dry sacks with the roll down closure. I put clean clothes in one, dirty clothes in the other and toiletries in the last. Helps to organize. I picked up a set of three at Walmart for cheap, nothing fancy but works well for my needs.
I use color coded packing sacs as well - some have compression if needed. Like a cinch sac or packing cube but with zips at the top and small carabiners that are really helpful. The system helps me not lose things, and have the benefit above of extra layer of water protection, bed bugs etc. Eagle Creek is my favorite brand but there are lots of extremely lightweight alternatives.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I have used them on both Caminos I have walked. I only use a 55l backpack so to be able to compress my clothes in invaluable.
It only seconds each day to use them.

A cheap compression bag is ideal organisation for all your plastic clothes (i assume!) - if you get a twin pack, you can put your dirty clothes in the other. Doesn't need to be waterproof if you have a waterproof cover for you back pack to keep all your stuff dry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anyone use the roll-out style compression bags for clothing?
I have some plastic ones from Eagle Creek that work well and stay seriously airtight for many days.
However as I was prepping for an April Camino I noticed they were quite noisy, which everyone says is an albergue no-no. So I went back to mesh bags.

More re bags.

Separate categories of kit, ie. clothes, toiletries, sandals and sleeping bag travel in sturdy but soft white sacs within the backpack. Thus all is waterproof as well as easier to locate than if 'lost' within the pack. White greatly increases the pack interior visibility and the soft fabric is noiseless.

At the bottom of the backpack one large white sac holds all clothes except the poncho which travels in an exterior pocket. For tidiness this clothes sac always remains within the pack; there is never a messy pile of clothes haphazard on the floor. A similar smaller toiletries sac holds a tiny towel. Within this sac soap, sponge and shampoo are kept together in doubled small plastic bags; after showering these items are replaced into the small dry outer double bag before being put back into the main toiletries bag so the other toiletries stay dry. A large ziplock envelope serves as my 'office' holding diary, pen, accounts list and head lamp. At night it safely holds my glasses. On top of everything is placed my sleeping bag in its own waterproof sac plus another soft plastic bag for added protection. With water bottle and cup in a handy side pocket and food in the large back pocket all is neat, compact and quickly ready to go!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use ziplock bags. One thing I love about being on Camino is dumping the pack and seeing how few are needed and how little gear there is. So much easier than traveling with a load of stuff.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Years ago I found that clothes stuffed in dry sacks end up in a jumble each time I try to find a specific item.

My solution is packing cubes, which I have used for years. They work perfectly with my backpack, which can be opened at the top like a dry sack or along the side like a suitcase.

I roll each item and secure it with a hair band. I can pull out the right packing cube, find the item I want without making a mess, and then return it to the backpack.

Three cubes (one large, two about half that size), designed to fit in a carry-on suitcase, fit perfectly in my backpack. I have them labeled for cIothing, safety/Covid/inflight, and glasses/electronics. I have two thinner cubes labeled for weather-related clothing and sleep system/bath/meds, with sleep and bath items, in turn, placed in smaller, brightly colored cubes from Decathlon.

Zip-lock bags have split at the neck after a couple of weeks on the Camino, so I use them only for items I need infrequently.

It occurs to me that if I needed to use compression bags to reduce the amount of space my clothing, for example, took up in my backpack, I should probably just eliminate some items. Rolling a plastic compression bag also creates some noise, so early-morning risers who pack some items in the morning would risk disturbing others in the dorms in the albergues.

I started using Space Bags decades ago and was quite pleased with them. Unfortunately they sold out to Ziploc and the quality went way down. After a couple of uses, they leaked air. I've tried several other brands, some of which were useless and others good, but I find that to save money, most companies 'cheat' on their materials or manufacturing process, and the number of times I can use them lessens quickly. If anyone knows a good brand, I would be pleased to try it.
So to answer your question, I find no problem with the concept, and they are more protective of my clothing.

I used zippered lightweight, waterproof bags and found that really good for packing/unpacking/keeping things organized & easy to find. Once I’d offloaded all the extra, unnecessary stuff I’d packed (like a dress and shoes for going out at night haha haha 😂), space wasn’t an issue. I found pack weight more troublesome than space.

I use the Sea to Summit nano dry bags, which weigh next to nothing. I find that putting my sleeping bag and down blanket (winter/spring caminos) and squeezing all the air out makes the dry bag rigid enough to help stiffen the frameless Golite pack that I use. Works for me!
Do you remember which size you got? I see a few different sizes. Smallest being a liter.

I use these (the 2 packing cubes - not the other thing). I put all of my clothing type items in the larger bag, and then my towel, silk liner, ear plugs etc in the smaller bag. I use small mesh zipper bags for everything else. I like them for 2 main reasons 1) They keep my bag organized and 2) I can pull them out of my bag and open them more like a suitcase - making it easier to find what I am looking for. Then the fact that they compress everything into taking up less space is a bonus. They are pretty lightweight. Also - if I ever wanted to send some of my gear ahead - I can remove the larger compression bag - open it to full capacity - add my little zipper bags and bedding bag to it - and send it forward with a pack transport service and keep my backpack. Very versatile (and writing this just reminded me I don't need that ultralight packable daypack that is in my bag! Yay - one less thing to carry)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For the amount of gear you will need on the Camino compression sacks would seem a waste of time. Simply put a waterproof liner inside your pack and shove everything in. Roll/fold it by all means but no need for any protection inside the pack and compression sacks will only be extra weight and a pain in the arse to pack each morning.
I find them to be super easy and quick to pack myself. I find this to be the case for compression packing cubes AND compression dry sacks alike. And if you get the right ones - they are super light (you might pay more for the lighter ones though - so it is a trade off - weight or cost)

The only ones that are a pain in the arse (in my opinion) to pack are the ones your sleeping bag come with - as the are usually a super tight fit and lots of work to compress the bag into them.

Right before I left, I found the Nite Ize waterproof, compression packing cube on Amazon. Pricey, but light, easy to use and holds ALL my clothes. I’m on the Camino now and it’s working great. Highly recommend it for consideration.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.