• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

compression socks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not sure what you mean by compression socks, but Googling the words comes up with an illustration, that whilst coloured or patterned, the socks are basically similar those white socks worn by some people on long flights to avoid thrombosis or blood clots. If that is so, they are most uncomfortable and I would never wear them for walking any long distance. I wear two pairs of socks - a thinner inner sock and a thicker outer sock and I have NEVER had any blisters in 20 years of walking on all types of terrain. David

I took a pair on one camino for a bad achilles tendon, and they worked well. Fitting tightly, they prevented friction, and the nylon and spandex material was suitable for being a liner sock. They prevented foot swelling and lower leg edema, too!!! They were a struggle to put on, of course, so when the ankle was feeling better, I stopped using them. They were Jobst 20-30 over the calf.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've fallen in love with compression socks (and the arm compression sleeves, too). I always walk in the cooler weather, and they're great for giving you that extra warmth you need without the bulk of pants or full second layers on top. Personally, my legs were much less cramped/sore at the end of the day, too, than when I wore more traditional socks. And like Falcon said, they help keep down the swelling in your lower legs/feet.

Yes, they're tight to put on (the full socks). But you can also buy a calf compression sleeve that goes from your ankle to your knee. Those are much easier to get on/off, and of course you wear whatever sock you favor on your foot. But if your feet swell a lot, those won't be as effective as the full sock (if that's an issue).

I've walked with the full sock in warmer weather, cool weather and lots of rain/puddles, and I've never had a problem with blisters. If you get the ones that are made for running/exercising, they're made of wicking material, so that's why.

Melanie

I used mine as liner socks. They lack any cushion, which I require for comfortable walking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: socks

camino-david said:
I am not sure what you mean by compression socks, but Googling the words comes up with an illustration, that whilst coloured or patterned, the socks are basically similar those white socks worn by some people on long flights to avoid thrombosis or blood clots. If that is so, they are most uncomfortable and I would never wear them for walking any long distance. I wear two pairs of socks - a thinner inner sock and a thicker outer sock and I have NEVER had any blisters in 20 years of walking on all types of terrain. David

Hi David, am starting my third tranche of camino (Burgos -Santiago/Finisterre) next week - did Cahors-Eauze in France last Apr and SJPDP to Burgos in Oct. All great but both times had big heel blisters probably because was only wearing one pair of socks at a time. So now will use two pairs, but please advise if socks you mention above should be cotton (inside) and woollen ones on outside, or perhaps both cotton/wool?
Also I heard of something called goo that people apply each morning - is vaseline as good? Would be grateful for your comments. Caroline

Having just experienced my first blister yesterday on my final training day before I leave for Bilbao on Sunday, I wondered about my choice of walking socks. Anyhow, I went to the local outdoor shop this morning and came across a pair of "1000 mile" Tactel (tm) liner socks.The company make the bold claim that the socks will protect the wearer from blisters for 1000 miles or they will refund the cost price. The sock design is basically two socks stiched into one, with arch- and heel stitching two of the key features. I'll be testing the manufacturer's claims up to a 500mile limit and I'll let you know how wel they fare.

Here's a low-cost low-tech quick-dry and easdily replaceable alternative: I used a pair of ladies' boby sox height (ie ankle length) stocking sox. On top of that wool socks. I also used Vaseline. Changed both ad new vaseline at linchtime each day. One blister before I started this routine, on day 1, si I got serious about it then. Not one blister after that in two Caminos (one in Spain, one in Italy).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went silly in the gym 2 weeks ago and have been suffering with a sore achilles tendon ever since, so will ask my physio about compression socks when I see her this afternoon. I hope they are a bit cheaper than shown on the NZ website.

Which is why I am posting. I saw on that website that 1000 mile fusion socks are NZ$39 or around AUS$32. I am a fan of the American Wigwam socks, who put out the first fusion sock [inner liner and outer sock as one unit] called I think the Ngenious brand. These are no longer available, and Wigwam socks are hard to find in Australia, so I recently imported 2 pairs of the Wigwam Ultramax trail mix fusion from America. All up cost was AUS$41 including conversion fee from my bank. The company I dealt with was socksaddict .com. The postage fee was US$7 for any number of items up to a value of US$100, after which postage was free. Wish I had boughr more pairs now [aint that always the way?]

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The 1000 mile compression sock are a double layer sock. with a full blister free guarantee.
so your getting: a compression sock, dual layers and they are very quick drying.
small price to pay. when you way it up against other socks on the market

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was having a hard go of it the first few days until someone recommended that I get a pair of compression socks (Pharmalastic) at the Farmacia. I swear by them now. Mine were open toed and went over the ankle. I think they saved my feet from blisters and other injuries. I'm considering buying a full sock for further long distance hiking.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.