• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Computer Access

doctor_robert

I was wondering if there are any internet cafes or such along the last parts of the Camino Frances. It would be nice to be able to go online with a proper computer to arrange transportation and accommodation for the return trip. I will be carrying a smartphone for most tasks, but it can not do everything. I will be leaving next month so I shouldn't have to worry about queuing up if this does exist.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many of alberques had computer access but I primarily found them in bars along the way. Buy yourself a beer/vino and sit down and watch your euros disappear. Someone might have a more current price but I seem to remember 1 euro for 20 minutes--although that included waiting for it to boot up. There were only a few places where internet access was impossible to find.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In almost any town that has a public library, you can find free internet... including in Santiago.
There is usually a one-hour limit unless they are not busy, in which case, they often let me continue my work.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie--maybe it was timing but we found many libraries with signs on the door--closed due to budget problems. A real bummer in a couple of places because it was the only place where computers were available. This was in 2009.

Spain is in a budgetary crisis. Internet here still is, in many places, a luxury -- as are libraries.

Walking the Camino is an exercise in what you can do without -- what is truly necessary, and what has become an entitlement. And when you go without a few days, the internet is SO decadent...!

We of the West are so spoilt. And when just-passing-through pilgrims complain to the town council about the lack of "entitlements" like free high-speed internet access, well. They can´t be surprised if the response is less than gratifying.

Not when 20 percent of the town is out of work, and the rest are paying more and more taxes to support everything.

The Camino is in Spain, remember. And Spain is in big trouble.

Reb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's bad that Spain (and many other countries) have been swindled by bankers and decisionmakers. That's worth all of us remembering when in Spain and Portugal.

Yet I was glad to see that there are more than me who want to reduce/diminish the technology we lug around, especially on this Way. If we come across internet, that's a dubious bonus, and no loss at all if we dont. I was surprised to find internet in some Portugese albergues. In my young days we used two tin cans with string stretched between them to communicate, if there were no carrier pigeons available.

I've carried a basic phone for a text or two and its alarm function ;I'm fine with that. It tells me the date and day (which I forget)when I need it. It's not switched on much. But I wouldnt mind if it werent there. I want to be out of the routine, and let some space into my head.

Caminando said:
It's bad that Spain (and many other countries) have been swindled by bankers and decisionmakers. That's worth all of us remembering when in Spain and Portugal.

Yet I was glad to see that there are more than me who want to reduce/diminish the technology we lug around, especially on this Way. If we come across internet, that's a dubious bonus, and no loss at all if we dont. I was surprised to find internet in some Portugese albergues. In my young days we used two tin cans with string stretched between them to communicate, if there were no carrier pigeons available.

I've carried a basic phone for a text or two and its alarm function ;I'm fine with that. It tells me the date and day (which I forget)when I need it. It's not switched on much. But I wouldnt mind if it werent there. I want to be out of the routine, and let some space into my head.
I am not wanting the Internet for facebook or twitter or farmville. I like to be able to have information. If I can know how the weather is going to behave I can plan accordingly and enjoy myself more. If I can know what the hotel rates are then I can save some money.

I have gotten away from it all before so I know what I am talking about. I have done 460 miles of the Appalachian Trail with my only electronic device being a single LED flash light. This lifestyle is simply not efficient. For instance I would frequently have to stop early on cloudy days because I had no clue how much daylight I had left and didn't know if I could make it to the next place to camp before dark. This meant that I needed to carry more food and therefore had a heavier pack.

Carrying a smartphone is fundamentally no different that carrying a guidebook if used only for an information gathering purposes. If you sit there and play farmville all day and don't engage your fellow travellers then the technology can hinder you.

In those area's where there is internet access, is there also WiFi. I would like to use my phone to send email and pictures but do not have a phone that works in Europe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an Evo 4G thru Sprint. Thanks, Al

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Doc, You're right to take what technology you wish on the camino - it's your camino. I spoke for myself and censured no-one. Mind you, I strongly suggest you give it a try without gadgets. :)

doctor_robert said:
Caminando said:

I am not wanting the Internet for facebook or twitter or farmville. I like to be able to have information. If I can know how the weather is going to behave I can plan accordingly and enjoy myself more. If I can know what the hotel rates are then I can save some money.

I have gotten away from it all before so I know what I am talking about. I have done 460 miles of the Appalachian Trail with my only electronic device being a single LED flash light. This lifestyle is simply not efficient. For instance I would frequently have to stop early on cloudy days because I had no clue how much daylight I had left and didn't know if I could make it to the next place to camp before dark. This meant that I needed to carry more food and therefore had a heavier pack.

Carrying a smartphone is fundamentally no different that carrying a guidebook if used only for an information gathering purposes. If you sit there and play farmville all day and don't engage your fellow travellers then the technology can hinder you.

Caminando said:
Hi Doc, You're right to take what technology you wish on the camino - it's your camino. I spoke for myself and censured no-one. Mind you, I strongly suggest you give it a try without gadgets. :)

This is, of course, one opinion....on the other hand I found that the cell phone was a very valuable asset and not a "gadget". I can't think of any way in which it lessoned my Camino experience.

scapaflo said:
In those area's where there is internet access, is there also WiFi. I would like to use my phone to send email and pictures but do not have a phone that works in Europe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an Evo 4G thru Sprint. Thanks, Al

Al,

My friend had your exact setup this past summer. Her "phone" did not work in Europe, but her Evo could access the Wifi in Spain (like my IPhone) The WIfi is hit-or-miss. You just have to find it and to find it you often have to ask. I would walk into a village or town, go into a bar and ask "tienes Wee-fee" (thats how they pronounce it) if they said "si" I would then say " Una cerveza grande por favor. y la clave?" "Clave" translates as key, but in the vernacular it means password. I'd sit there and blog, post and skype to my heart's content, or at least until all my walking pals woke from their siestas!!
Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't have a comment on computer access itself, but rather on the larger idea of how to do a Camino. It has been suggested to try it without gadgets. There are other posts on this forum regarding "variations" from the standard. A common one is people who, for various reasons, cannot (or will not) finish without taking taxis/buses along some stages. I witnessed this personally when I did my Camino. Yet, many of these people felt they should qualify for a Compostela. It is not for me to judge.

Here is my point: The Camino is (or should be) an intensely personal experience. How one does it, whether with a phone, computer, mp3 player, taxis, or buses, is entirely up to them. Ultimately, the pilgrimage will mean what it means to them. They will have to decide what benefit (and grace) they derived from it. Whether they are right or wrong is not for us to judge.

My two cents.

daesdaemar said:
I don't have a comment on computer access itself, but rather on the larger idea of how to do a Camino. It has been suggested to try it without gadgets. There are other posts on this forum regarding "variations" from the standard. A common one is people who, for various reasons, cannot (or will not) finish without taking taxis/buses along some stages. I witnessed this personally when I did my Camino. Yet, many of these people felt they should qualify for a Compostela. It is not for me to judge.

Here is my point: The Camino is (or should be) an intensely personal experience. How one does it, whether with a phone, computer, mp3 player, taxis, or buses, is entirely up to them. Ultimately, the pilgrimage will mean what it means to them. They will have to decide what benefit (and grace) they derived from it. Whether they are right or wrong is not for us to judge.

My two cents.

Hi D

No need to be so careful about your judgements, especially as your views shine through anyway. And that's a good thing. Don't be so cautious for the luvvagod.... :D

I agree that people should do their camino as they wish. Absolutely. I, for one, dont like camino dictators who tell you what to do and judge you on their camino values. Down to the pits of hell with them!!! :evil:

But we can suggest that some pilgs might have an enhanced, different experience if they dumped the connections to their usual world and made it a "Holy Day", free from the bollocks they encounter in everyday life. That means free from the phone, etc. Humanity managed fine for umpty million years without it. Its a way of telling yourself that you're not a technojunkie, that you're on a Way which is special, and that you want to give your best to it, for your own sake. Why would you want to hear the usual tosh and life sapping trivia on this fabulous Way?

We all need to get a life!
:arrow:

Caminando said:
daesdaemar said:

My two cents.

Hi D

No need to be so careful about your judgements, especially as your views shine through anyway. And that's a good thing. Don't be so cautious for the luvvagod.... :D

I agree that people should do their camino as they wish. Absolutely. I, for one, dont like camino dictators who tell you what to do and judge you on their camino values. Down to the pits of hell with them!!! :evil:

But we can suggest that some pilgs might have an enhanced, different experience if they dumped the connections to their usual world and made it a "Holy Day", free from the bollocks they encounter in everyday life. That means free from the phone, etc. Humanity managed fine for umpty million years without it. Its a way of telling yourself that you're not a technojunkie, that you're on a Way which is special, and that you want to give your best to it, for your own sake. Why would you want to hear the usual tosh and life sapping trivia on this fabulous Way?

We all need to get a life!
:arrow:

I absolutely agree with you. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
although there were a few places that didn't have internet access, we found that usually you could find internet service - yes a Euro per half hour is not surprising. Also, in cities, or larger towns, you could access internet cafes (so print out boarding passes, book online, etc). The truth is, the fewer gadgets you bring, the better - you don't want to lose any important gadgets.

People have strong opinions on the use of technology on the Camino....just do what you want and don't worry about what other people think. You can always ship the excess ahead to Santiago! :)

I took my Blackberry Storm2, had the cell service suspended, used it for an alarm clock, calendar, and occasionally, the wi-fi when I found an unsecured signal (they are few and far between in Spain). If I had felt like it, I could have gotten a SIM card for it, but didn't need to. I found internet every couple of days which was sufficient for me to drop off an "I'm safe and not dead" email to my worried mother who thinks I was crazy to take off and travel the world for five months.

Next time I think I will take my Nook, loaded with guidebook, maps, and a few e-books to read. Otherwise, make sure you have everything electronic in a waterproof bag. It rains in Galicia!

Totally agreed with renegadepilgrim. Bring what you want, as you are responsible for the weight and waterproofing.

If the camino was popular like 20 years ago, then I guess the topic here might be pilgrims hogging the public phone booth.

Go back further in history and it might be pilgrims with servants.

Aren't we glad we are walking in this day and age? :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back