• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Concerned about weather/heat

steveire

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Aug-Sept 2014)
Hi there,

I'm planning to start my first Camino in 2 weeks.

I am concerned about heat though. Is there a resource for finding out what temperatures can be expected in August/September in the north of Spain? Should I expect all-sun or also rain? I'm thinking of walking it in sports trainers/sports shorts/sports t-shirt which I hope will be more-breathable than the alternative...

Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome to the forums!! My wife and I walked that same time last year. It was in the mid 80s every day. We usually stopped walking around 2-3 pm when it started to get really hot. A few days at the end, we used our fleece jackets for an hour or two in the morning. We had no rain to speak of, just a light shower for about a half hour one day. A great time to walk!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there,

I'm planning to start my first Camino in 2 weeks.

I am concerned about heat though. Is there a resource for finding out what temperatures can be expected in August/September in the north of Spain? Should I expect all-sun or also rain? I'm thinking of walking it in sports trainers/sports shorts/sports t-shirt which I hope will be more-breathable than the alternative...

Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing! I start my Camino walk on August 13th at SJPP. Are you walking the Camino Frances?

Finished my camino...yesterday!!! Those days when it got really hot - I made a layer extra under my hat... I had water on my thin buff and put(ed?) that one on first on my head, and then the hat! It made a big difference/different(?)!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We took a large umbrella! Worth it's weight in gold! One year (September 2011) the weather was exceptionally hot and we were walking for several days with temperatures around 35/36 degrees. Anne

Thanks all for the advice. I think the umbrella idea is a good one.

I'm intending to walk from Burgos from about the 11th September (Still haven't booked yet :) ).

Drink drink drink! You can eat too much but the body knows how to quickly expell excess liquids.Water, coffee, beer, juice, tea, doesn't matter just drink until you need to find tree! As long as liquids are flowing in AND flowing out you will be in good shape. Headache? Dizzy? Confused? Find some shade and drink drink drink. Sunscreen is not a luxury.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Finished my camino...yesterday!!! Those days when it got really hot - I made a layer extra under my hat... I had water on my thin buff and put that one on first on my head, and then the hat! It made a big difference!!!

For no reason other than to help you, I've changed the two words in your post you were unsure of.
Buen Camino

Scruffy is right, be sure to drink. Even when you are not thirsty. I think the umbrella is a good idea, But not for me, a personal preference. In Sept 2012, we started our day at 5:30, stopped about 8:30 for cafe/ breakfast. My goal was to get the bulk of the miles in before the heat, and coast into the albergue early.

It gives you time for shower, laundry and kick back an hour before exploring the town and dinner.

You just have to find what works for you, stay hydrated, fed, and rested. Enjoy! I start my 2nd Camino Aug 31.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino

"Snake"

Hat! See left<--- How could I forget! A real hat something with a brim all around and, if, like me, you wear glasses , the best rain gear you can have since with a poncho, most rain coats, or a hood - they will keep the rain off your head but your glasses steam up or are covered with rain and you can't see.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I found the most valuable piece of clothing I had was a reflective T-shirt. Even when the temp was 35+ degrees it felt cool. Water, water, water - you never can drink enough.

Expect more heat then rain. Use a good sunscreen and not just once a day. Factor 30 minimum, 50 would be better, especially from 12 noon onwards.
Also something for your head is a good idea. A hat with a wide brim or just a simple Buff from UV protective fabric.

And of course....Drink lots of water.

Welcome to the forums!! My wife and I walked that same time last year. It was in the mid 80s every day. We usually stopped walking around 2-3 pm when it started to get really hot. A few days at the end, we used our fleece jackets for an hour or two in the morning. We had no rain to speak of, just a light shower for about a half hour one day. A great time to walk!!
My wife and I also walked the CF from mid-August through late September and experienced the same weather conditions described above -- no rain other than a light sprinkle or two until we reached Santiago, where the heavens opened up and rained every day for the four days we were there. BUT every previous pilgrim we have talked to since returning tells us that we happened to hit a very unusual weather pattern, and that walking the entire 40 days without rain is highly unusual, so I would not expect the same conditions this year. Be a good Boy Scout and "be prepared."

I'll second Scruffy's advice about drinking as much water as possible, even if you don't feel thirsty. It's easy to get dehydrated, which can lead to some unpleasant problems health-wise. I'd also recommend taking a large cotton bandana which you can soak in water and wear around your neck or draped over your head under your hat when it's really hot. (That's the only thing cotton I'd recommend taking.)

Buen Camino,
Jim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back