• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Concerned

4RJN

Time of past OR future Camino
May 15th
Hi all, I am due to kick off my first camino in 1 week and I am getting concerned about having a roof over my head. I have not booked any rooms because I have no idea how far I can get each day. I also didn't want to be burdened my deadlines and wanted the "camino to provide". Am I in for a rude awaking or is this still possible? Honestly if I have to plan everything I really will not feel like I am trusting in God to provide and I will probably just cancel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all, I am due to kick off my first camino in 1 week and I am getting concerned about having a roof over my head. I have not booked any rooms because I have no idea how far I can get each day. I also didn't want to be burdened my deadlines and wanted the "camino to provide". Am I in for a rude awaking or is this still possible? Honestly if I have to plan everything I really will not feel like I am trusting in God to provide and I will probably just cancel.
I am starting in SJPP next week and would prefer not to book ahead but am willing to do so if necessary. What I have done is booked the first week and will see what things are like once I am enroute and will adjust accordingly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For what it's worth, I travel just like you and it really works for me. I never know how I'm going to feel from day to day and I need that open flexibility to either take a rest day, do a big, or shorter, day. For me, I love to "see what happens" and flow with it, because it's always led to pleasant surprises. However, when I wanted to stay in a particular albergue because of a positive experience on a previous camino, I would book ahead, which forced me to get busy and clock in some kms.

That being said, as the camino gets more crowded, booking from SJPdP, to at least Pamplona is wise. As your body adjusts, so can you.

AND...another tidbit I've learn is to purposely stop between stages. All the little villages between the big stops get lost in the shuffle. I find it's a great way to sort of slip away from the main crowd and have a more intimate camino.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I am due to kick off my first camino in 1 week and I am getting concerned about having a roof over my head. I have not booked any rooms because I have no idea how far I can get each day. I also didn't want to be burdened my deadlines and wanted the "camino to provide". Am I in for a rude awaking or is this still possible? Honestly if I have to plan everything I really will not feel Ilike I am trusting in God to provide and I will probably just cancel.
If you are starting at SJPDP I would book the first three days, purely because that stretch is tight for accomodation. If you plan to stop at Orrisson or Borda then definitely as they can only house a fraction of the pilgrims who walk that day.
Ive walked when its busy (beginning of May and beginning of September) and have always found a bed, although sometimes I had help from hospitaleras finding a place (when a place was full) and sometimes I had to walk on. Between stages is often easier, as many people take the guidebooks very literally.
Of course if you walk like a racehorse then you may be fine.

I fear you are in for a rude awakening as have many been this past week and a half. You should book SJPP, Orisson or BORDA, Roncesvalles, Zubiri AND Pamplona! If you are smart you will do it today. We have seen many pilgrims without a place to sleep. Otherwise come prepared to sleep outside, or taxi. Check Gronze.Com to see who does or does not take reservations. You could walk between stages and get in before 2 pm and possibly get a bed. But many places are booked solid. Sometimes they get last minute cancellations. But I would book. Post Covid, Holy Year, boatloads of pilgrims!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Surely you are joking? You think of cancelling because you may not feel like trusting in God when you feel like having to book a bed a day or two before your arrival in a village or town??? You will get a bed every night, it may just not be as cheap a bed as you had expected or a bed in the town where you would prefer to stop. There are plenty of beds and taxis to get you to a bed every day when you can't walk further, don't want to walk further or don't want to search further.

I take it that you will arrive in SJPP around the 16th of May, ie middle of May. Let us know how it goes. I'm not walking but have paid attention to what people and news media currently report. Arrive early-ish in Roncesvalles for a €14 bed at the pilgrim albergue; they have about 90 beds every day for walk-ins while the other 90 beds can be booked online [edited, see following post by @Ianinam: 180 beds can be reserved and they have some more beds in addition to this]. And there are taxis that serve Roncesvalles. Arrive early-ish at every other non-bookable pilgrim albergue between SJPP and Pamplona. As far as accommodation goes, Saturdays are busier than other days in both SJPP and Pamplona.

Whoever "provides", they provide plenty of beds. Private beds are usually bookable and they are provided more for those who book and book early than for those who prefer not to. And dormitory beds in public albergues are provided first and foremost for those who arrive before the others. You take your pick. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi,
I believe you already got good advise. Anyway it is normal to have anxiety and second thoughts before travelling in to the “unknown”.

And as you can read it is definitely possible, but that you might have to change your plans as you walk and if you are open for alternatives, you could up ending having the adventure of your life!

I am also sure, that if you in general trust God, and that you until now have been able to — then I am sure there have been more severe situation than this one.
And even though you have to book ahead on the go, I don’t believe it‘s much different than for life in general, you have to adjust even though you trust God.

If you are looking for a reason to cancel, there are many reasons to take from ;)

I do feel you are writing from a point of fear… and it is easy to claim, that you don’t need to have fear. But without exaggerating there are many locals and pilgrims, who would help you if you really need help!!! And I personally believe they will be there faster than God ;)

Buen Camino 🥰

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked without reservations at this time of year in 2019 when it may have been even busier and had no problems and never slept outside.

I don't get up early and I certainly don't race for a bed but I do use my brain.

Stay your course and enjoy the journey.

Of course there are others who are uncomfortable with anything that they don't control and they will tell you that the sky is falling.

Last edited:
"The Camino Provides": Relying on that "idea" is just silly if you are not flexible to take whatever it is you get. In your case - you are expecting the Camino to provide you a bed. Maybe you will find a bed. Maybe you won't. The Frances has plenty of infrastructure, but you have to know how to access it. Anyone who has done even a little research knows that during the busy season - you might have to pre-book SJPDP, (Orisson/Borda reservations are a must if you wish to stay), Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and perhaps even Pamplona. That is - if you want a guaranteed bed in those specific locations. If you want to wing it, you can. But be prepared to perhaps not get a bed in those specific locations and the possibility you may have to sleep outside, or you may have to walk further to find a bed, or you may need to taxi to an available bed. Or it will more likely be that there are plenty of beds - but they are the more expensive beds. Now - in just about every town there are a certain amount of beds that cannot be reserved. If you are willing to get up a little earlier or walk a little faster - then you will probably be able to get one of those beds. But if you want to take your time and not "race for a bed" - then better to reserve those first couple of towns.

No one is saying you have to plan EVERYTHING. But perhaps the phrase that works better is "God helps those who help themselves". Or even "god works in mysterious ways". God gave me the brains to do a little research to know that I might want to reserve the first 4 towns and the he gave me the courage to "wing it" after that. But god also allowed man to develop tools such as cell phones and guide books and I can use those tools as needed to reserve ahead if I want to, or if I can't find a bed - to call until I find a place to sleep. Also - he made humans into creatures who love to share information. I listen to those god created creatures (my fellow pilgrims who may be a day or two ahead) to hear about bedding shortages in certain towns ahead - and once I know I am going to arrive in those locations on a specific day - I can chose to call ahead and reserve my bed. Yes - I go on the Camino and I put my trust in god - but I also use the tools he gave us to help myself to ensure I get what I need for the day. Because ultimately - I am responsible for making sure my needs are met. Not "the Camino". One good example of "god helps those who help themselves" is: I recall hearing through the Camino grapevine about how there were no beds in O Cebreiro - I went online and found myself a nice private room - but I did have to pay for it. I got to stay in O Cebreiro when no one else I know was able to "find a bed". Were my friends left without a bed? Nope. They just had to stop way before or way after O Cebreiro. Whereas I used my tools to find a bed in the location I wanted to stay. I had to do that several times when I walked last summer. I pre-booked through Zubiri and then decided to "wing it". There were several times I knew I had to make a bed reservation in the morning or the night before. There were also a few times I had to walk well beyond my comfort level to find a bed.

Anyhow - if you want to do no research and you want to make no reservations - you can do that. But be prepared to have to join the race for a bed if you are finding that when you arrive the albergues are indeed full. But if you simply walk your own pace and expect the Camino to provide for you - you may indeed be in for a rude awakening if your timing on the Camino is the same as the masses of crowds.

Anyhow - it is fine to "trust in god" - but my point is - god gave us the tools to help ourselves too!

Now: go back to C Clearly's reply and answer those questions for yourself.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"The Camino Provides": Relying on that "idea" is just silly if you are not flexible to take whatever it is you get. In your case - you are expecting the Camino to provide you a bed. Maybe you will find a bed. Maybe you won't. The Frances has plenty of infrastructure, but you have to know how to access it. Anyone who has done even a little research knows that during the busy season - you might have to pre-book SJPDP, (Orisson/Borda reservations are a must if you wish to stay), Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and perhaps even Pamplona. That is - if you want a guaranteed bed in those specific locations. If you want to wing it, you can. But be prepared to perhaps not get a bed in those specific locations and the possibility you may have to sleep outside, or you may have to walk further to find a bed, or you may need to taxi to an available bed. Or it will more likely be that there are plenty of beds - but they are the more expensive beds. Now - in just about every town there are a certain amount of beds that cannot be reserved. If you are willing to get up a little earlier or walk a little faster - then you will probably be able to get one of those beds. But if you want to take your time and not "race for a bed" - then better to reserve those first couple of towns.

No one is saying you have to plan EVERYTHING. But perhaps the phrase that works better is "God helps those who help themselves". Or even "god works in mysterious ways". God gave me the brains to do a little research to know that I might want to reserve the first 4 towns and the he gave me the courage to "wing it" after that. But god also allowed man to develop tools such as cell phones and guide books and I can use those tools as needed to reserve ahead if I want to, or if I can't find a bed - to call until I find a place to sleep. Also - he made humans into creatures who love to share information. I listen to those god created creatures (my fellow pilgrims who may be a day or two ahead) to hear about bedding shortages in certain towns ahead - and once I know I am going to arrive in those locations on a specific day - I can chose to call ahead and reserve my bed. Yes - I go on the Camino and I put my trust in god - but I also use the tools he gave us to help myself to ensure I get what I need for the day. Because ultimately - I am responsible for making sure my needs are met. Not "the Camino". One good example of "god helps those who help themselves" is: I recall hearing through the Camino grapevine about how there were no beds in O Cebreiro - I went online and found myself a nice private room - but I did have to pay for it. I got to stay in O Cebreiro when no one else I know was able to "find a bed". Were my friends left without a bed? Nope. They just had to stop way before or way after O Cebreiro. Whereas I used my tools to find a bed in the location I wanted to stay. I had to do that several times when I walked last summer. I pre-booked through Zubiri and then decided to "wing it". There were several times I knew I had to make a bed reservation in the morning or the night before. There were also a few times I had to walk well beyond my comfort level to find a bed.

Anyhow - if you want to do no research and you want to make no reservations - you can do that. But be prepared to have to join the race for a bed if you are finding that when you arrive the albergues are indeed full. But if you simply walk your own pace and expect the Camino to provide for you - you may indeed be in for a rude awakening if your timing on the Camino is the same as the masses of crowds.

Anyhow - it is fine to "trust in god" - but my point is - god gave us the tools to help ourselves too!

Hi Jeanine,
I believe you have some very good points, but I would love to rewrite it, because I don’t feel it expresses the kindness that I am sure was you intention.

Have a nice day 🥰

Hi Jeanine,
I believe you have some very good points, but I would love to rewrite it, because I don’t feel it expresses the kindness that I am sure was you intention.

Have a nice day 🥰
Simply responding to a man who clearly states he would rather cancel his Camino if he can't "trust in god". Just reminding him that god gave him the tools he needs to do this!

I take it that you will arrive in SJPP around the 16th of May, ie middle of May. Let us know how it goes. I'm not walking but have paid attention to what people and news media currently report. Arrive early-ish in Roncesvalles for a €14 bed at the pilgrim albergue; they have about 90 beds every day for walk-ins while the other 90 beds can be booked online. And there are taxis that serve Roncesvalles. Arrive early-ish at every other non-bookable pilgrim albergue between SJPP and Pamplona. As far as accommodation goes, Saturdays are busier than other days in both SJPP and Pamplona.
At the moment there is no limit for the amount of reservations. Last week we had up to 180 reservated beds. We have more beds available than the 183 in Aterpea, i.e. in the winter albergue, but it fills up very quickly every day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for this update, @Ianinam, very much appreciated.

Interesting to learn that there is currently no limit for the number of dormitory beds that can be reserved. I had noticed that the Albergue de Roncesvalles had made some changes to their website. I saw today that the maximum amount of bookings that one can make with a single online booking is now for 1-30 people instead of earlier when it was for 1-15 people only.

Wow, up to 180 reserved beds during the first week of May 2022! And no doubt, 180 very happy pilgrims. 😇

some very good points, but I would love to rewrite it, because I don’t feel it expresses the kindness that I am sure was you intention.
Let's not criticise styles of writing. Sometimes it is necessary to be clear and try to dispel some of the more common Camino myths. You cannot "wing it" and expect a 100% safety net at the same time and especially not all the time during the 12 months of the year or at a specific time when so many others have the same idea as you have: walk the Camino de Santiago now.

The beds along the Camino Frances are mainly provided by local governments and by private enterprise; some are particularly cheap because they are staffed and managed by unpaid volunteers. Both bookable and non-bookable beds in next to every location at 5-10 km intervals. Many dirt cheap, or cheaper than "at home" but also as expensive as you are prepared to pay for or even more expensive than your own comfort level. The Camino de Santiago is equipped with a great infrastructure but it's the real world, not some fantasy land.

Last edited:
Let's not criticise styles of writing. Sometimes it is necessary to be clear and try to dispel some of the more common Camino myths. You cannot "wing it" and expect a 100% safety net at the same time and especially not all the time during the 12 months of the year or at a specific time when so many others have the same idea as you have: walk the Camino de Santiago now.

The beds along the Camino Frances are mainly provided by local governments and by private enterprise; some are particularly cheap because they are staffed and managed by non-paid volunteers. Both bookable and non-bookable beds in next to every location at 5 km intervals. Many dirt cheap, or cheaper than "at home" but also as expensive as you are prepared to pay for or even more expensive than your own comfort level. It's the real world.
Well that is your comment, as I had mine!
When people, in this case the one who wrote the initial post, are posting out of fear I dont believe in « tough love »
And I didn’t have to comment, but I felt the points were good, but lost in an aggressive tone, which is absurd for me, when a post is attempting to help someone.

We walk with different experiences and fears, and it is easy for experienced pilgrims, including myself, to forget how it was before the first.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When people, in this case the one who wrote the initial post, are posting out of fear I dont believe in « tough love »
Practical advice, including the advice of doing a bit of research, is perhaps the best approach to overcome pre-travel jitters. Luckily, this forum is full of general practical advice and up to date information.

Hi, @4RJN . I see you joined recently. I imagine you have been soaking up lots of information. I know I did a lot of seeking before beginning, in 2006. Numbers are far greater nowadays, depending on many factors. Posts above have advised you to use the tools you have been given. They are wise.
I am not God, by any stretch of the imagination. I do however answer the phone in one albergue most summers, and listen to anxious pilgrims who want to know if they can have a bed. I can never say yes, as it is a donativo with no allowance for booking. I can only ask how far they are from the albergue, say how many are lolling around waiting for opening time, and assuring the pilgrims that some solution can be found. If you need the assurance of a bed, you will need to do as has been suggested above, book. I did that myself on my last camino. Precisely because I did not find an albergue run by God. If you cannot leave it to chance, don't wait for God. You might miss the boat, the helicopter.. that could be sent to help you! Under no circumstances give up at this point! The Camino is waiting for you. As I type, I see a message is waiting for me to read it. I hope it is not a closed thread notice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well that is your comment, as I had mine!
And I didn’t have to comment, but I felt the points were good, but lost in an aggressive tone, which is absurd for me, when a post is attempting to help someone.

We walk with different experiences and fears, and it is easy for experienced pilgrims, including myself, to forget how it was before the first.
Perhaps you missed the part of the Original Posters post where he said he wants to wing it but HE IS AFRAID he won't find a bed. And he would rather cancel than do a little planning/preparing. I think it would be a total shame for him to miss out because HE IS AFRAID he might have to plan ahead. My response had nothing to do with MY fears. I am not afraid because I know how to mix "winging it" with planning. Don't like my writing style? Fine. But I think I made my points. Good luck to you.

Am I in for a rude awaking or is this still possible? Honestly if I have to plan everything I really will not feel like I am trusting in God to provide and I will probably just cancel.
4RJN, greetings!
Actually there are a lot of variables going on here - and opinions may vary...
A week away from a first camino, as planning turns into real life, many of us do ask 'what have I done!?'
On my first two caminos I was unable to eat properly for the first few days because of anxiety - but eventually it all settled down and was truly amazing.
What kind of person are you? If you are laid back, independent and resourceful, you'll enjoy yourself whatever challenges confront you. If you are not so laid back, then it makes sense to take some precautions until you get settled. Plenty of people become pragmatic after a couple of nights of bed insecurity.. and start either getting up earlier and walking faster, or booking ahead. But the key is to keep re-evaluating what's happening around you, as it's likely to change. So, doing a little booking at the start might be good for peace of mind and then, as you get past Pamplona you'll probably find there's lots more space and you can revert to Plan A.
Cheers, tom

Once upon a time, similar concerns were raised in this forum. Some wise men/women suggested not to follow exact suggestions offered by "guidebooks" to end the day's walks, instead of a stage earlier or the stage later. As such, the chances of having a bed is higher.

In addition, some folks started their day at 6:30 am or earlier so that they could, not only avoid the "heat", also get beds of their desired albergue.

You can count on finding a place to sleep somewhere, maybe take a taxi to a near by town and them return to where you left off? I‘m sorry to say but a lot of “Pelegrinos“ they just a free ride, so a paying option will offer you a better chance, don’t worry too much about that, but check the availability in some stops because some towns are very small :)

Buen Camino
zzotte

If I started my camino again I would go with the flow and see what happens , if it means sleeping under the stars somewhere so be it ,what will be will be on the camino so don't concern yourself about where your going to sleep each night but leave it in the hands of the camino otherwise you won't enjoy the experience .. many of the alberques do a first come basis till its full .. then there are private alberques and pensions to consider ..all in all just trust that the camino will provide for you and in return you have a lovely time .

I think that when a forum member has concerns about the tone or the perceived attitude of another forum member, the best thing to do is to simply add a different personal perspective. No need to call anyone out on the thread or start a side conversation. Any back and forth should go to a PM, rather than derail the thread. Further jabs will be deleted.

Written communication is always stripped of the body language, tone of voice, and other non-verbal signals that accompany our in-person conversations, and there is just no point in this kind of back and forth. It doesn’t help the OP with the decision, so let’s get back to the topic at hand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You should book SJPP, Orisson or BORDA, Roncesvalles, Zubiri AND Pamplona!
@Anniesantiago, I understand that you are now past the SJPP-Pamplona section and in Viana. Do you have contacts with pilgrims who tend to stay in municipal and parochial albergues - is it really unusually busy for May for them?

FWIW, when I look at current availabilities of bookable accommodation for Logroño, I see the same pattern as for Pamplona: plenty of beds available this week, except Friday and Saturday night.

Last edited:
If I started my camino again I would go with the flow and see what happens , if it means sleeping under the stars somewhere so be it ,what will be will be on the camino so don't concern yourself about where your going to sleep each night but leave it in the hands of the camino otherwise you won't enjoy the experience .. many of the alberques do a first come basis till its full .. then there are private alberques and pensions to consider ..all in all just trust that the camino will provide for you and in return you have a lovely time .
In normal periods and in other sections of the Camino Francés this is very true.

But .... in busy periods (like now in May when hundreds of pilgrims leave SJPdP daily) and in certain sections (like the bottleneck between SJPdP and Pamplona where albergues and beds are limited and cannot provide a bed for these hundreds pilgrims daily) it is adviseable to be prepared and make reservations. We, hospitaleros at Roncesvalles, feel very sorry every day for those exhausted people, coming overr the mountain, in pain and not able to walk any further .... when we have to tell them to take a taxi to the next village, to Zubiri, to Larasoaña, sometimes even to Pamplona, to get a bed. This is not what they expected, but they have to deal with it and we cannot help them when we are 'completo'.

In normal periods and in other sections of the Camino Francés this is very true.

But .... in busy periods (like now in May when hundreds of pilgrims leave SJPdP daily) and in certain sections (like the bottleneck between SJPdP and Pamplona where albergues and beds are limited and cannot provide a bed for these hundreds pilgrims daily) it is adviseable to be prepared and make reservations. We, hospitaleros at Roncesvalles, feel very sorry every day for those exhausted people, coming overr the mountain, in pain and not able to walk any further .... when we have to tell them to take a taxi to the next village, to Zubiri, to Larasoaña, sometimes even to Pamplona, to get a bed. This is not what they expected, but they have to deal with it and we cannot help them when we are 'completo'.
Oh I understand that as I walked to Espinal a further 6km and got a bed ...it's like rush hour out there that's why the first few days I avoided the well known ones and stayed at private Alberques by walking further ..though I was tempted to stop and rest for the night under a tree

Hi. I have done 4 Caminos and I have never booked ahead and I have never left the UK with a return flight booked. Like you I have worked on the assumption that I don't know how far I will feel like going each day. I also took the view that it will take me as long as it takes and if I run into problems, I need to get home from where I am at the time. I realise that it was pre covid but somehow it has always worked. Later this month I am travelling to Morgade with my son-in-law and granddaughters who are 10 and 7 so that the girls can walk the last 100k. I have not booked because I want them to feel the wonder of the Camino but for the first time, I am a little worried. I am putting this down to it being the first time I am not alone and have a responsibility for others and trying to trust that the Camino will provide. Buen Camino. Vince.

Hi, I am currently on the Camino Frances- started at SJPdP and now at Santo Domingo. I booked up until Los Arcos and then wanted to experience just walking/ trusting and finding a bed for the night. The reality is that is difficult. Lots of places are full- I try ringing a day ahead and they are full. It is very busy on the route and different to the carefree experience I anticipated. Good luck. Buen Camino and consider booking ahead .

Oh I understand that as I walked to Espinal a further 6km and got a bed
That was at the end of March this year, though, right, not beginning of May? I don't recall that anyone said that the section SJPP to Pamplona was particularly busy during that time.

May is one of the busiest periods on the first sections of the Camino Frances from SJPP onwards; it is not the summer months as it is often wrongly assumed. Later sections may be actually quite calm at the same time.

Last edited:
That was at the end of March this year, though, right, not beginning of May? I don't recall that anyone said that the section SJPP to Pamplona was particularly busy during

That was at the end of March this year, though, right, not beginning of May? I don't recall that anyone said that the section SJPP to Pamplona was particularly busy during that time.

May is one of the busiest periods on the first sections of the Camino Frances from SJPP onwards; it is not the summer months as it is often wrongly assumed. Later sections may be actually quite calm at the same time.
I understand when pilgrims are turning up with all kind of injuries after the first day and unable to get a bed ..It was not until I got to Estella that I realised I had a swollen calf and kept on till Leon , I believe it was gradually brought on from the first 4 days the toughest on the Camino by far ..maybe next year there be a portion of pilgrims who decide to do it in the spring or autumn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am like you. For me, it is not a pilgrimage if you have to plan anything, and I never have, or will.

Having said that, there is no law or policy anywhere to protect you and I, and right now, there is a glut of peregrinos, from what I hear, on the Caminos, every day.
I do have a very light sleeping bag and pad. So, if I were to start a Camino in a week, I would pack two extra items, a 10' X 12' plastic tarp and enough light gauge rope to pitch it where it affords a ground sheet as well as sufficient cover overhead. With a rain poncho over the sleeping bag, nothing more is needed.

But that is me.

I understand when pilgrims are turning up with all kind of injuries after the first day and unable to get a bed ..It was not until I got to Estella that I realised I had a swollen calf and kept on till Leon , I believe it was gradually brought on from the first 4 days the toughest on the Camino by far
I remember that you decided to return home to the UK from Leon because of this injury and that you then returned to Leon at a later date. That's something to bear in mind, too: that those of us who live in Europe can easily stop and restart and flights are cheap. Much easier to wing it in general than when you come from much further away. Also, many of us do shorter consecutive stints every year instead of the whole lot from SJPP in one go so it is much easier to pick a time when it's not so busy. Or when it does not rain.

@Anniesantiago, I understand that you are now past the SJPP-Pamplona section and in Viana. Do you have contacts with pilgrims who tend to stay in municipal and parochial albergues - is it really unusually busy for May for them?

FWIW, when I look at current availabilities of bookable accommodation for Logroño, I see the same pattern as for Pamplona: plenty of beds available this week, except Friday and Saturday night.
I feel it’s super busy. However several hospitaleras or owners have said it’s normal for May

Hi, I’m due to start my first Camino from SJPdP leaving on the 19th May. I have booked SJPdP, Borda, Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Pamplona just to be on the safe side. Looking forward to the adventure. What date do you leave? Buen Camino

I've travel all over Europe without reservation, both on and off the Camino. Any hotel that was full would gladly call around and find me a room somewhere. Some even made Herculean efforts to find me a room!

You just need to be flexible on price and location. Sometimes the rooms were quirky and uncomfortable, but it was only for one night. It makes great travel stories! Like the night in San Nicolas de Puente Fitero, where I slept in the church sanctuary on top of a crypt. I didn't notice the name on the floor until I rolled up my sleeping bag.

-Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi! I am in the same boat as you to a point. Next week, first Camino. SJPDP, Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Pamplona pre-booked due to Holy Year, post Covid restrictions, and reading of this Forum. I will decide at Roncesvalles whether to continue doing this or to wing it. My guess is that it is best to pre-book 2 days in advance. Of course, the unknown makes me jittery. But I must believe that I can help myself in this manner and relieve me from all the anxiety and stress. So far, so good! Believe in yourself and your abilities.

It probably would be a good idea to prebook 5 days in advance, when you get comfortable with your daily walking rate, given it is a Holy year, and somewhat of a post-covid year., It gives you a destination to work for, rather than depending on providence.I have a friend on the Camino, currently at Fromista on the meseta, who is saying alberques are completo with bus groups, e-cycylists and daytrippers, and are turning away walkers with backpacks. It's hard, when after walking 10 miles, finding an alberque completo, and having to walk another 5 miles to the next village.

In my opinion there's a lot of needless panic regarding beds on the Francés on this forum. It's okay to make reservations if that is your thing, but why scare others who prefer to do it differently?

Making reservations weeks and months ahead seems to have become the modern version of the bed race.

There are other ways to minimize the risk of not finding accommodation apart from making reservations for days on end or even months before.

1) Start early, finish early (doesn't mean you need to run. Just don't be the person that gets kicked out of the albergue last and then has a full breakfast in a bar, starting walking at 9 or 10 am and arriving in the only albergue in the middle of nowhere at 6pm expecting a bed for sure).

2)
Plan your stages in a way that there are several villages in close distance at the end of your walking day. That way, if one is full, it is not too much of a problem to walk the next one or even the one after that.

3) If you plan to stop in a village with few beds and the next town/albergue is too far away for you to add the kms, stop midday in a town that still has beds. Make a phone call to the place you hope to walk to, to make sure they still have a bed. If they don't, just stay where you are or make a few more calls to find alternatives

4) Stay at the not fancy albergues. If it can't be booked and is very basic, it is more likely to still have beds for walk-ins. The new, fancy ones with pool, USB chargers at every bed ect. are the ones that are booked weeks and month ahead - surely the parroquial donativo without WiFi will not be booked out by tour groups.

5) Walk alternative paths. For example: Orisson is full? Then walk the Valcarlos. Almost nobody wants to walk that way when the Napoleon route is open.

Ect.

Enjoy your walk. There are sometimes good reasons to make reservations, but it is not as needed as some people on the forum would like to make everyone think.

On the Francés, only once did I have to use transport to another town (and it was my own fault, bad planning) and once had to walk 1 hour further than planned. Both times still got a bed (normal albergue bed, no hotel, plenty beds at those places).

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m in Pamplona now.
Accommodations have been odd.
SJPP municipal Albergue spots open
Orisson 6 walk ins
Roncenvalles full up
Zubiri walk ins at municipal no problem at 4:00
Pamplona booked night before
Tomorrow Puente booked no problem
I would not suggest walking from SJPP to Roncenvalles in one day. Doable yes, was a work out in 2 days.
My suggestion book to Zubiri so you can concentrate on walk. It’s beautiful!

For what it's worth, I travel just like you and it really works for me. I never know how I'm going to feel from day to day and I need that open flexibility to either take a rest day, do a big, or shorter, day. For me, I love to "see what happens"or flow with it, because it's always led to pleasant surprises. However, when I wanted to stay in a particular albergue because of a positive experience on a previous camino, I would book ahead, which forced me to get busy and clock in some kms.

That being said, as the camino gets more crowded, booking from SJPdP, to at least Pamplona is wise. As your body adjusts, so can you.

AND...another tidbit I've learn is to purposely stop between stages. All the little villages between the big stops get lost in the shuffle. I find it's a great way to sort of slip away from the main crowd and have a more intimate camino.

Hope that helps!
Thanks I love that!!!

I’m in Pamplona now.
Accommodations have been odd.
SJPP municipal Albergue spots open
Orisson 6 walk ins
Roncenvalles full up
Zubiri walk ins at municipal no problem at 4:00
Pamplona booked night before
Tomorrow Puente booked no problem
I would not suggest walking from SJPP to Roncenvalles in one day. Doable yes, was a work out in 2 days.
My suggestion book to Zubiri so you can concentrate on walk. It’s beautiful!
Thanks I will look into that.

In my opinion there's a lot of needless panic regarding beds on the Francés on this forum. It's okay to make reservations if that is your thing, but why scare others who prefer to do it differently?

Making reservations weeks and months ahead seems to have become the modern version of the bed race.

There are other ways to minimize the risk of not finding accommodation apart from making reservations for days on end or even months before.

1) Start early, finish early (doesn't mean you need to run. Just don't be the person that gets kicked out of the albergue last and then has a full breakfast in a bar, starting walking at 9 or 10 am and arriving in the only albergue in the middle of nowhere at 6pm expecting a bed for sure).

2)
Plan your stages in a way that there are several villages in close distance at the end of your walking day. That way, if one is full, it is not too much of a problem to walk the next one or even the one after that.

3) If you plan to stop in a village with few beds and the next town/albergue is too far away for you to add the kms, stop midday in a town that still has beds. Make a phone call to the place you hope to walk to, to make sure they still have a bed. If they don't, just stay where you are or make a few more calls to find alternatives

4) Stay at the not fancy albergues. If it can't be booked and is very basic, it is more likely to still have beds for walk-ins. The new, fancy ones with pool, USB chargers at every bed ect. are the ones that are booked weeks and month ahead - surely the parroquial donativo without WiFi will not be booked out by tour groups.

5) Walk alternative paths. For example: Orisson is full? Then walk the Valcarlos. Almost nobody wants to walk that way when the Napoleon route is open.

Ect.

Enjoy your walk. There are sometimes good reasons to make reservations, but it is not as needed as some people on the forum would like to make everyone think.

On the Francés, only once did I have to use transport to another town (and it was my own fault, bad planning) and once had to walk 1 hour further than planned. Both times still got a bed (normal albergue bed, no hotel, plenty beds at those places).

Buen Camino!
Okay I am feeling better, I really appreciate it. I am currently packing by backpack and will be on a plane tomorrow. Buen Camino!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sorry to respond with 3 questions, instead of an answer, but..
  • Where do you intend to start?
  • Is there no middle ground for you, between "planning everything" and trusting in another entity to provide?
  • How willing are you to adapt to circumstances, even if uncomfortable?
Leaving from SJPDP, I am 90% wanting it to be planning free so I am willing to adapt and I only need a roof over my head. I really wouldn't even mind sleeping on the ground!

Surely you are joking? You think of cancelling because you may not feel like trusting in God when you feel like having to book a bed a day or two before your arrival in a village or town??? You will get a bed every night, it may just not be as cheap a bed as you had expected or a bed in the town where you would prefer to stop. There are plenty of beds and taxis to get you to a bed every day when you can't walk further, don't want to walk further or don't want to search further.

I take it that you will arrive in SJPP around the 16th of May, ie middle of May. Let us know how it goes. I'm not walking but have paid attention to what people and news media currently report. Arrive early-ish in Roncesvalles for a €14 bed at the pilgrim albergue; they have about 90 beds every day for walk-ins while the other 90 beds can be booked online [edited, see following post by @Ianinam: 180 beds can be reserved and they have some more beds in addition to this]. And there are taxis that serve Roncesvalles. Arrive early-ish at every other non-bookable pilgrim albergue between SJPP and Pamplona. As far as accommodation goes, Saturdays are busier than other days in both SJPP and Pamplona.

Whoever "provides", they provide plenty of beds. Private beds are usually bookable and they are provided more for those who book and book early than for those who prefer not to. And dormitory beds in public albergues are provided first and foremost for those who arrive before the others. You take your pick. Buen Camino!
Thanks You, Sounds like I just need to leave early and stop early. I can do that!!!

I've travel all over Europe without reservation, both on and off the Camino. Any hotel that was full would gladly call around and find me a room somewhere. Some even made Herculean efforts to find me a room!

You just need to be flexible on price and location. Sometimes the rooms were quirky and uncomfortable, but it was only for one night. It makes great travel stories! Like the night in San Nicolas de Puente Fitero, where I slept in the church sanctuary on top of a crypt. I didn't notice the name on the floor until I rolled up my sleeping bag.

-Paul
Love it!!!! Thanks these are the things I needed to hear.

I am like you. For me, it is not a pilgrimage if you have to plan anything, and I never have, or will.

Having said that, there is no law or policy anywhere to protect you and I, and right now, there is a glut of peregrinos, from what I hear, on the Caminos, every day.
I do have a very light sleeping bag and pad. So, if I were to start a Camino in a week, I would pack two extra items, a 10' X 12' plastic tarp and enough light gauge rope to pitch it where it affords a ground sheet as well as sufficient cover overhead. With a rain poncho over the sleeping bag, nothing more is needed.

But that is me.
Thanks I think I will pick up a pad when I arrive hopefully somewhere along the trail. I would not mind sleeping outside in temporary tent. I didn't know that was allowed.

Thanks I really appreciate that. Looks like its a go and I am boarding the plane in the morning!

Hi,
I believe you already got good advise. Anyway it is normal to have anxiety and second thoughts before travelling in to the “unknown”.

And as you can read it is definitely possible, but that you might have to change your plans as you walk and if you are open for alternatives, you could up ending having the adventure of your life!

I am also sure, that if you in general trust God, and that you until now have been able to — then I am sure there have been more severe situation than this one.
And even though you have to book ahead on the go, I don’t believe it‘s much different than for life in general, you have to adjust even though you trust God.

If you are looking for a reason to cancel, there are many reasons to take from ;)

I do feel you are writing from a point of fear… and it is easy to claim, that you don’t need to have fear. But without exaggerating there are many locals and pilgrims, who would help you if you really need help!!! And I personally believe they will be there faster than God ;)

Buen Camino 🥰
Awesome, I have no real plans that is the hole point. So I am super flexible, I just read a bunch of threads that basically said if you don't book ahead you will have no chance of a bed. I would be open to even a floor I really don't care I just don't really want to sleep out side in a thunderstorm. I am packing right now as my flight is tomorrow so look out Camino here I come:)

...I just read a bunch of threads that basically said if you don't book ahead you will have no chance of a bed. I would be open to even a floor I really don't care I just don't really want to sleep out side in a thunderstorm. I am packing right now as my flight is tomorrow so look out Camino here I come:)
As a culprit who may have contributed to your concern, I'm glad to hear this.

Thanks I think I will pick up a pad when I arrive hopefully somewhere along the trail. I would not mind sleeping outside in temporary tent. I didn't know that was allowed.
Since sleeping pads are probably the number one item that pilgrims jettison from their packs, picking one up from a donativo table in an albergue is highly possible.

Camping, apparently, is not allowed but when there are no beds, you have to sleep somewhere. Some albergues do have camping accommodation though.

BTW, if you plan on taking even a few tent pegs, make sure they are plastic and fairly short. They will get thru TSA.

Hi all, I am due to kick off my first camino in 1 week and I am getting concerned about having a roof over my head. I have not booked any rooms because I have no idea how far I can get each day. I also didn't want to be burdened my deadlines and wanted the "camino to provide". Am I in for a rude awaking or is this still possible? Honestly if I have to plan everything I really will not feel like I am trusting in God to provide and I will

Where are you starting from? What day? Do you have anything booked?

There are weirdos like me who have a few of our favorite places booked but will let others stay with us if someone were to chip in. Not a lot of places but I have 4 or 5 along my way.

Writing from the CF in Vianna - where a storm rages at 4.30 pm - I would say to just go for it. A Camino gives a person time to reflect on their personal approach to life and others. Your strong drive to be in the hands of ‘god’ is maybe something you need to follow - perhaps in that drive is vital learning for you. Be safe. Buen Camino. 👣💕

Try www.onlypilgrims.com and Jesus will assist you

Yes, you are in for a rude awakening. On the Camino, as in the rest of life, God challenges us. But the challenge when walking the way of the peregrino is not—as you surely will find if you follow your plan—to be focused throughout the day on: Where will I lay down my head tonight? Where’s my next meal coming from? Where will I shelter from the rain? The real challenge God gives us on the Camino is to truly know the person deepest inside. And then to help that person take one step closer to God by fully experiencing the land and towns of northern Spain and the universe of people you will meet on the road to Santiago.

Yes, trust in God. Trust in God to give you this opportunity to learn just a few of the Camino’s many lessons. That is the place to put your heart, not in such details like scrounging for a room in a strange town when you’re tired and hungry at the end of a long hard day.

If you are starting at SJPDP I would book the first three days, purely because that stretch is tight for accomodation. If you plan to stop at Orrisson or Borda then definitely as they can only house a fraction of the pilgrims who walk that day.
Ive walked when its busy (beginning of May and beginning of September) and have always found a bed, although sometimes I had help from hospitaleras finding a place (when a place was full) and sometimes I had to walk on. Between stages is often easier, as many people take the guidebooks very literally.
Of course if you walk like a racehorse then you may be fine.
I am just finishing the Camino Frances in 2 days - started in SJPP on April14. I booked the first 4 nights because of Easter and I prebooked the last 4 nights because of the Sarria-Santiago tourist influx. The rest I mostly booked by sending an email the day before, having decided what distance I want to walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

2)

Ect.

Buen Camino!
Absolutely

For what it's worth, I travel just like you and it really works for me. I never know how I'm going to feel from day to day and I need that open flexibility to either take a rest day, do a big, or shorter, day. For me, I love to "see what happens"or flow with it, because it's always led to pleasant surprises. However, when I wanted to stay in a particular albergue because of a positive experience on a previous camino, I would book ahead, which forced me to get busy and clock in some kms.

Hope that helps!
I totally agree with you and that’s what I do as well. I rarely struggled to find accommodation. I would generally stop short or walk beyond the recommended stage.

I have never booked accommodation on the Frances. I am poor, so I always travel as cheap as I can. I always stay in the cheapest albergue I can find. So long as I have somewhere to sleep, that is all I worry about and that is also where you will find the most interesting people. I leave the albergue at 6.00am every morning and usually walk 25 to 30 kilometres each day. For me, that is an easy 5 to 6 hours. By the time I stop for breakfast, lunch and do some sightseeing it comes out at about eight or nine hours meaning I am always at the next albergue by 3.00pm at the latest. I have never missed out on getting a bed. The only place I ever book is my first night in SJPDP because the way I travel from New Zealand means that I arrive there at about 7.00 in the evening and that might be just a bit late to find accommodation at that time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It probably would be a good idea to prebook 5 days in advance, when you get comfortable with your daily walking rate, given it is a Holy year, and somewhat of a post-covid year., It gives you a destination to work for, rather than depending on providence.I have a friend on the Camino, currently at Fromista on the meseta, who is saying alberques are completo with bus groups, e-cycylists and daytrippers, and are turning away walkers with backpacks. It's hard, when after walking 10 miles, finding an alberque completo, and having to walk another 5 miles to the next village.
I am also currently on the meseta and places are full. I suggest booking at least a few days ahead

to be focused throughout the day on: Where will I lay down my head tonight? Where’s my next meal coming from? Where will I shelter from the rain?
For a very large proportion of humanity, being focused on where their next meal is coming from, where they will rest their head that night and sheltering from the weather is their life.

In our privilege we can afford to spend our time on other things.

Each of us does our Camino for our own reasons, some of us, including myself, relish the opportunity to simplify our lives down to a couple of basic questions. However when I walk without reservations I certainly don't spend my day thinking or worrying about where I will eat or sleep that day. When it is time to eat I look for a place to eat, when it is time to stop walking then I start looking for a place to sleep.

Fortunately for me and others, along the Camino Frances, there are a very large number of places to eat and sleep and I have never had any of the imagined problems that people who like to reserve seem to think exist.

For a very large proportion of humanity, being focused on where their next meal is coming from, where they will rest their head that night and sheltering from the weather is their life.

In our privilege we can afford to spend our time on other things.

Each of us does our Camino for our own reasons, some of us, including myself, relish the opportunity to simplify our lives down to a couple of basic questions. However when I walk without reservations I certainly don't spend my day thinking or worrying about where I will eat or sleep that day. When it is time to eat I look for a place to eat, when it is time to stop walking then I start looking for a place to sleep.

Fortunately for me and others, along the Camino Frances, there are a very large number of places to eat and sleep and I have never had any of the imagined problems that people who like to reserve seem to think exist.

This reminds me of one of my days on my first Camino years ago.

I was having a bad time in Peunte la Reina and didn't get out of my hotel until 10 AM.

I was walking mad and caught a lot of my Camino friends and blew by them. Got to Estrella and didn't want to hang around... decided to go to the next town ...? In the mountains.

Anyways I got there at about 2 PM but the only albergues were all full.

So, still angry, I kept going. After another hour I realized I had 9 more KMs to Los Arcos which ended up being about a 46 KM day.

I started getting mind weary... didn't care about where I would stay etc.

Just coming into Los arcos a young woman ran up to me and asked me to follow her. ????

I did, to a nearby apartment building. She offered me a bed for 20 euros. Tired I agreed. She led me up and !!!!!! Queen sized bed! + soaking tub access + fridge access with juice, milk, fruit, cereal, etc.

Omg it was one of my best nights lol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We’re here now. Less of an issue than we expected. Still, booking SJPDP they Roncesvalles a good idea. That said, there are last minute cancellations- wouldn’t bank on them early but it happened in SJPDP, Orisson and beyond.

We’re not booking but get off Way by 2 latest to avoid heat and get a bed. Still a believer that we’ll always find something. If you walk slowly, though, it is harder, of course. I’d have a different strategy if walking less than 4kph-ish.

Logroño was rammed last night -Saturday night- mayhem with stag and doe parties. And fiesta today. Even the donativo was getting creative making space- over 61 last night (the have 30 bunk spaces, rest of us on the floor mats.

And staying “off-stage” is good . Buen Camino.

Currently on CF and the only time I got caught out was in Pamplona and only because it was a Saturday and there was a huge festival. Otherwise all Ok whatever your budget.
Hope this helps . . . Buen Camino

This reminds me of one of my days on my first Camino years ago.

I was having a bad time in Peunte la Reina and didn't get out of my hotel until 10 AM.

I was walking mad and caught a lot of my Camino friends and blew by them. Got to Estrella and didn't want to hang around... decided to go to the next town ...? In the mountains.

Anyways I got there at about 2 PM but the only albergues were all full.

So, still angry, I kept going. After another hour I realized I had 9 more KMs to Los Arcos which ended up being about a 46 KM day.

I started getting mind weary... didn't care about where I would stay etc.

Just coming into Los arcos a young woman ran up to me and asked me to follow her. ????

I did, to a nearby apartment building. She offered me a bed for 20 euros. Tired I agreed. She led me up and !!!!!! Queen sized bed! + soaking tub access + fridge access with juice, milk, fruit, cereal, etc.

Omg it was one of my best nights lol
There is a particular stretch along the Camino Frances where it is a longish distance between towns (Carrión de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza - 17.2 klms).

Anyway, when I walked in mid May through June 2019 not only did I not reserve accommodation but I also had no idea of the actual trail and towns. All I knew was that I was broadly heading West, my destination was Santiago and there were a (big) bunch of other people walking in the same direction and so I followed the arrows.

As it happened, I stopped for a coffee and food in a small bar in Carrión de los Condes as it was around midday.

In conversation, the lady in the bar asked me where I was staying that night. I told her that I had no idea, I was just walking and at some stage I would stop and look for a bed.

She asked if I knew that the next town was 17.2 kilometers away and there is nothing in-between.

When I told her "no" she suggested that I stay there that night and so I did.

Last edited:
Even the donativo was getting creative making space- over 61 last night (the have 30 bunk spaces, rest of us on the floor mats
That sounded a bit alarming at first but I see on Gronze that the donativo albergue in Logroño has 30 dormitory beds plus colchones en el suelo - mattresses on the floor. So I guess that this is perhaps business as usual for them on busy Saturday nights in Logroño? [Logroño is known as a "party town"]

"Now - in just about every town there are a certain amount of beds that cannot be reserved." This was true before COVID but as I posted in another thread, I have experienced a problem whereby many of the municipal albergues are not open - these are the ones you cannot book.

"Now - in just about every town there are a certain amount of beds that cannot be reserved." This was true before COVID but as I posted in another thread, I have experienced a problem whereby many of the municipal albergues are not open - these are the ones you cannot book.
I am trying to book at Carrion de los Condes for 19/05 and all facilities seem full

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am trying to book at Carrion de los Condes for 19/05 and all facilities seem full
I believe the parochial albergue in Carrion is open - you cannot book there but if you arrive early enough you will get a bed as it cannot be booked in advance. I stayed there several days ago at Albergue Espiritu Santo though I did not book in advance

That sounded a bit alarming at first but I see on Gronze that the donativo albergue in Logroño has 30 dormitory beds plus colchones en el suelo - mattresses on the floor. So I guess that this is perhaps business as usual for them on busy Saturday nights in Logroño? [Logroño is known as a "party town"]
They have loads and loads of extra space beyond the 30 beds. They were putting mattresses all over the place last night. I meant to ask Michelle, the hospitalera, what the real capacity is but it’s over 70 I’m sure probably quite a bit more. They’ll stick people in the rafters! We had at least 61 last night.

€83,-
Many people will argue with me on this but here is my opinion after completed three Caminos. Scheduling everything in advance is a waste of time. This will force you into scheduled miles for each day. There were some small towns and villages that I wanted to hang out in for a couple of hours. I couldn't do this if I was worried about keeping to a schedule.
The first two Caminos, I didn't schedule a thing and just stopped when I felt like it and found housing for the night. No problem. The third time was during COVID. Since much housing was closed, I used Booking.com to schedule a place to sleep the night before I would need it. You pretty much have a sense of where you will end up a day in advance. If you can't do the miles for some reason, you can always get a Taxi from any bar or restaurant and have them take you to where you need to go. I only did this one time because I didn't want my wife to panic about the possibility of sleeping out of doors. We got hung up in a small town bar...and you can figure out the rest of the day's story. LOL

During my Camino, I did not book any rooms ahead. I wanted to trust God to provide and I did. Many people began their journey early in the morning, before sunrise, and finished by 2 or 3. I started later, around 8 a.m. and finished around 5. I found a room every evening. This will be a good experience for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am on the Camino now and prefer hotels and hostals. I have been booking ahead and don’t see where it takes any more time than people hunting around for albergues that aren’t full once they arrive in town. A few days ago I was in Hornillos de Camino and all the albergues filled up and I saw a lot of people getting taxis to go somewhere else. In my opinion, more hassle than booking ahead.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back