• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conde do Vila or Póvoa de Varzim?

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Trying to finish this part of my planning for Porto to Santiago on the coastal route and cannot decide where to end a stage. Conde do Vila seems a bit dreary while Póvoa de Varzim appears to be tourist high rises along a beach. Please send along anything from experience, the internet presentation is a bit disheartening for both.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trying to finish this part of my planning for Porto to Santiago on the coastal route and cannot decide where to end a stage. Conde do Vila seems a bit dreary while Póvoa de Varzim appears to be tourist high rises along a beach. Please send along anything from experience, the internet presentation is a bit disheartening for both.
Hi. We stayed at the Bellamar Hostel in Villa do Conde in late April this year. It's just over the bridge that leads into the town, fronting onto a very nice open area next to the river. The hostel was good, but busy even in April. The town is small but old and interesting with several places to eat. We really enjoyed it. By contrast Povoã is a very much a big seaside resort with lots of high rise apartments and shops. The walk along the seafront was extremely busy and bustling when we passed through, but it was 25th April, Portugal's national day so it was only to be expected. Povoa was pleasant but we much preferred Vila.

If it's any use, you could look at my blog folksfrom62.blogspot.com at the entries for 24th and 26th April 2016. There are some photos there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also stayed in Vila do Conde two weeks ago, and also in Bellamar Hostel, because it was just the first place past the river. Only after check-in, while walking around town I discovered there is a brand new, nice municipal albergue, more spacious and comfortable, just a few hundred meters away, which had been just opened (on 14 March 2016). I think it is a very nice place, even if located on the main street. 25 beds, price 7.50 euro, washing machine, small kitchen, Wi-fi, advanced booking is not available. A nice hospitalera, speaking good English, showed me around the building.

Albergue de Santa Clara
Rua 5 de Outubro 221
Vila do Conde

Albergue_Santa_Clara_1_720_2500.jpg

Google map - from the bridge to the albergue: https://goo.gl/maps/h8VcNd8F3ou

More picture below the press article (in Portugues) here

I can't say much about Povoa de Varzim, as I passed the town walking along the beach the next morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vila do Conde is your typical Camino small town: not wonderful, but much better than the residential more recently built Povoa which has nothing to offer otjer than large and lomg streets, with Soviet looking buildings.

Vila do Conde has a wonderful monastery, a river, a brand new albergue, a restaurant 50 meters away who caters to them.

Very much enjoyed spending a rest day in Villa do Conde. There's an amazing, old aquaduct as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back