• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conditions for crossings the Pyrenees in 2 days

Aysen Mustafa

Time of past OR future Camino
I am now in Bayonne and it is cold and wet, was beautiful weather in Paris on Friday. I imagine even colder and wetter crossing over the Pyrenees. To keep my load light I only have minimum clothing and nothing very warm. Start walking Wednesday pm, should I buy gloves, hat and a merino long sleeve top? Is there heating in the albergues, not sure my lightweight sleeping bag will keep me warm enough.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am now in Bayonne and it is cold and wet, was beautiful weather in Paris on Friday. I imagine even colder and wetter crossing over the Pyrenees. To keep my load light I only have minimum clothing and nothing very warm. Start walking Wednesday pm, should I buy gloves, hat and a merino long sleeve top? Is there heating in the albergues, not sure my lightweight sleeping bag will keep me warm enough.
Go to the Pilgrimsoffice in SJPdP before you leave and ask for the weather update .
Please do this .

Wish you well,Peter.

Will do, but is there a way to find out conditions online? I have accommodation booked for Kayola Gite Wednesday and Roncesvalles Thursday.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Socks can work as mittens but do at least get a long sleeve technical shirt to help keep you warm in the mountains. Merino is great but polar works well also.

In SJPdP you might buy one at La Boutique du Pelerin/Direction Compostelle.
The owner is a veteran pilgrim.

Another large sports equipment store in SJPdP is Loisirs Passions at 18 avenue du Jai Alai .

When you get to Roncesvalles monastery there is often a big box of left equipment for the use of pilgrims. Ask any hospitelero.

Good luck, get warm, be prepared and Buen camino!

Right now in Saint Jean it is cloudy and 13c. Tomorrow it is sunny and 13c.
Right now in Roncevalles it is 7c and showers. Tomorrow it will be 9c and cloudy/showers.
The high point in the middle? The pilgrim's office can help you there.
Hardly hostile inclement weather. Personally I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of clothing I might only use once on the Camino. If anything for sure have a hat to wear while walking the Camino in any weather to protect from the sun, and I suppose a long sleeve top would be useful in May.

I don't know how "hardly hostile inclement weather" is generally defined. The website I just checked for forecast for the Route Napoleon (predictability level: high) pass for tomorrow Tuesday 1 May has this:
View attachment 42076

It means that it will feel like -1º C at 11 o'clock and like 2º C during the afternoon. Not exactly the temperature for wearing "nothing very warm" and in particular not when one may be already tired from the long walk up to the pass.
Sure, not weather to have a picnic in, but I think there will be many pilgrims that do the treacherous crossing without problems and not dressed like members of the Hillary expedition.
Besides, it's just one day out of 30+, and the pilgrim's office will advise if the top is passable and wise pilgrim's will take heed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can check the on line forcast at aemet.es
I just looked at the forcast for this week in Pamplona: pretty grim!
A lot of rain, especially until Friday, apart from tomorrow afternoon, when the sun will come out! Temperatures going from 1 degree at night, to a maximum of 18 on a couple of afternoons, but usually lower. However by Saturday the sun will come out again and by Sunday the forcast is min 8 degrees to maximum 23
In my humble opinion, we need to get something warm (for hands, head and body) not to forget something waterproof!
For those reading this and that are walking at the moment, you can check out the forcast using this site. Simply put in your near future destinations and you will get a detailed weather report for each place.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful day in Biarritz today but I think I will need to purchase something warmer tomorrow to at least get to Orisson. I don't have wet weather gear other than a poncho. Would there be discards at Kayola Gite that I could use until, perhaps, Pamplona? Thank you all for your posts. I took the positive approach packing and decided against bringing warmer gear. It doesn't always work to plan.

I think Hat, gloves and long sleeve shirt are essential. If there is a cold wind blowing or its raining you will be happy you got them, even if you end up leaving them somewhere later. At that height on a bad day there is a risk of hypothermia, even in the summer, don't worry about the sleeping bag though you can always sleep in your clothes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day is done, I would have appreciated hat and gloves. And true I didn't really need the sleeping bag as Roncesvalles was very warm in the dorms.

Ps I went down the wrong way but I was ok, probably because I decided to have my bag transported. A number of others due to the wet conditions fell and hurt themselves.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back