• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conditions on Le Puy in late Sept/Oct?

gml

Time of past OR future Camino
PAST: Frances, Le Puy, Portuguese from Lisbon
I am thinking about walking Le Puy starting in late September and going into October, but am concerned that that might be too late in the season for reasons of both weather and accommodation. I have seen a few photo-blogs that show very gray, rainy weather in October, and reports of gites closing at the end of September. One has to expect some some rainy days, but I know I would find it hard to take grim, gray skies day after day after day. I would love to hear from people who have walked that route in late Sept/Oct and can comment on weather conditions, availability of accommodation, and crowds. Would it be better to do this walk in a different season? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The weather varies every year, but based on my experience last year your concerns are unwarranted. I hiked mid-Sept to mid-Oct. Maybe 3 days of rain out of thirty. Plenty of sunshine, including a three-day heat wave at one point around Cahors. No accommodations issues at all. None.

Last edited:
The two years I walked the Le Puy route, it was for the month of September. Sunny and hot, with about 1 day of rain each week on average. Short sleeves and short pants, for sure. The later you are in your trip, the lower the elevation, so the temperature will be warmer.

September is quite busy on the route. Many gites do close from All Saints (Toussant), 1 November. Sometimes gite owners may take a few days off if they have no reservations. So ... grab your MMD and start emailing inquiries!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am looking forward to starting in Espalion in mid September for two or three weeks. I have walked before in April and August. Will only bring sleeping bag liner. Have read many conflicting reports on this.

Yer probably like me. You decided this route yonks ago and now yer apprehensive. All will be well. Saint Jaques will look after us. Late September I hope to be in Le Puy and also walking into October. Thinking I should take sleeping bag as well as silk liner, decisions decisions! Decisions? Should I take the stanley knife to MMD introductory pages?
Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am just back from walking Espalion to Roncesvalles. I had one day of rain, few nights of rain but only one day. In t-shirt and shorts all the time. Wore meindel hiking runners. No problem re accommodation. Sleeping bag liner done the job. One litre water bottle no need for hydration pack. What a glorious walk. Will post photographs in due course, check blog.
Dermot

I can now answer my own question! I left Le Puy on September 30 and arrived in Roncesvalles November 3, with a two-day side trip by train from Figeac to Rocamadour and back. The weather was mildly rainy off and on during the first ten days to Conques, but a heat wave set in during the last two weeks of October -- 34C posted on a signboard as I arrived in Lauzerte on October 19! I wore shorts and t-shirt every day, and a silk liner was sufficient at night, although sometimes I borrowed an extra blanket from an adjoining bed. One thing that did surprise me is that there were almost no pilgrims beyond Conques. Many nights I was the only person in a gite, and most days I saw no one on the road except farmers on tractors -- who were everywhere, this being harvest season. It is a good time to go if you want almost perfect solitude and are not disturbed (as, I confess, I was) by the drone of farm machinery.

For all of us who are yet to do this walk, how was it? The food, the accommodation, the track and the cost. We hope to do this walk next April and some first hand recent reviews would be very much appreciated if you have the time to do a write up.

Thanks Steve

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back