• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

confession

Timid

I'd dearly like to know whether it is possible to make your confession in English?

I know it's probably best to find a priest who doesn't understand your own language but I'm trying not to cheat and to do the necessary!

Being a very lapsed Catholic, I would nonetheless want to take the opportunity to have the whole "camino experience" and that includesthe tricky and uncomfortable as well as the uplifting.

Any information and advice gratefully received.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could contact the Pilgrims Office and ask them.
You could ask "is there an English speaking priest in the house?" when you are in the albergues! My friend Fr Stephen Tully is walking the camino at the moment and I'm sure he woukld be preapred to hear confession if someone wanted to.

I'm almost sure that you will find a priest who speaks English at the Cathedral of Santiago itself. Judging by the enormous crowds waiting to go through the Holy Door, I think that they have had a very busy time this year! You could also try a little further back on the trail, say from Astorga onwards, by asking at the various Albergues when you stay overnight if they know if there is an English speaking priest available. There have been many priests walking the Camino this year - so that is another possibility. I also know that the German monks in Rabenal offer confession after vespers (maybe before, as well). It's possible that they also speak English.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Rabanal del Camino, when the Camino goes trough the Leon mountains, there is a litlle nice Benedictine Community, where pilgrims are welcome. I am sure they sepak english fluently.

Oh, la, la!

But, I fear it has to be the real thing and not a virtual confession!

And thank you for all the suggestions, everyone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are English speaking priests in the cathedral in Santiago. Languages spoken are posted over the confessional booths. I got a youngish priest who I think was Polish. His English was perfect.

There was a sign on the church at Villamayor de Monjardin about Confessions, including ones in English. This church is on the Camino between Estella and Los Arcos.

I know that in several other places, eg Los Arcos, the priest gave a blessing in several languages, including English, after the evening Mass. Possibly, he spoke enough English to hear Confession as well, but I am not at all sure about that.
Margaret

Attachments

• confession in English.jpg
    confession in English.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,328
In 2009 one of the concelebrants of the Pilgrims mass at Roncevalles spoke english and he offered to hear any pilgrims confession before mass.
Nell

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
AJ said:
There are English speaking priests in the cathedral in Santiago. Languages spoken are posted over the confessional booths. I got a youngish priest who I think was Polish. His English was perfect.

Absolutely right. Confession in a number of languages including English is a service which will be provided in the Cathedral throughout this year.

John

I'm just reading Jonathan Sumption's book 'The Age of Pilgrimage'. He says that in the medieval period, confession had to made before you left home in order for the pilgrimage to be valid,

Andy

Hey Timid.
No problem with confession in Santiago. I had a wonderful experience. I explained to the priest that as a mother of three, and having walked on the Camino with one of my kids for the past month, that outside of my personal shortcomings (impatience for one) I hadn't actually done too much to warrant a confession! I was then treated to a wonderful discussion about the meaning of the road. We talked about the purpose for pilgrimage; the Camino experience, both during and after; and how important it is to continue on this journey after one leaves Santiago. I returned to the pew where my "Camino family" were saving seats, with a big smile on my face and tears streaming down my cheeks. Obviously I was fortunate to have this particular priest on this particular day, and everyone's experience will be different, but I would highly suggest going. That being said, despite my smile and tears, none of my friends followed my suggestion! It is daunting approaching that booth! Especially if you've been away for awhile!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for your advice, everybody.

Special thanks to Nandy for describing that wonderful experience for us.

I think I will try to make a confession as early on as possible. That is bound to be another spiritual aid that will help me to walk the miles.

Indeed, it's a very long time since I made my last confession and so, I am really very keen to "put things right".

I was a lapse Catholic of 25 years when I did my confession at a retreat. Afterward I was surprised because I sensed a weight being lifted off of my shoulders.

life is truly an interior journey

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back