• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confessions of A Fat Pilgrim - for those carrying a few Extra Pounds

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Terrific chat Rob - thanks for being so open and honest about your weight and fitness levels and how they affected your three caminos.
Best of luck with your weight loss programme and for your surgery late Feb - and for getting down to your target weight.
Cheers -
Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Terrific chat Rob - thanks for being so open and honest about your weight and fitness levels and how they affected your three caminos.
Best of luck with your weight loss programme and for your surgery late Feb - and for getting down to your target weight.
Cheers -
Jenny

Thanks Jenny. Hopefully it might help another "weight challenged" Pilgrim make some sensible choices in planning their first Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Robo!
Thanks for the video it made easy listening.
That's in the main because i am on the same path as you. I am1.88 and was 107.4 kilos 20 days ago now down to 102.7 kilos.
My reasoning was simple i walk an average of 5 to 8 miles a day with my G/Dog and have done for years no probs!
Almost the minute i decided to walk a Camino, something that has been in my head for years; my body started to object.

I hadn't increased my distances but had increased the speed .
So plantar fasciitis, mild Achilles tendonitis appeared as well as my right knee giving me grief and getting worse!
Didn't take much thinking about i knew i was a fatboy and thought if i want to walk Camino i have got to shed pounds.
I am eating more food than i did but the right stuff; fish,chicken,fruit and veg and no BISCUITS (my downfall i would eat 8 milk chocolate hobnobs with a coffee; altogether that's nearly a 1000 cals)
The simple truth is, that in the last four days no planar or knee pain hopefully that will continue fingers crossed.
Oh and a couple of other things!
Please don't laugh i think maybe my plantir and tendonitis might have been aggravated /caused by my very snug darn tough's by restricting the blood flow to my foot/ankle cos i swapped to a looser fit hiking sock and that seems to have made a substantial difference.
Secondly and not really relevant my birthday is mid May ( the 16th) just wondered if by fluke we had the same day.(guy in the next street has same christian and surname as me; and it's not a common one i just like stupid stuff like that)
All the best
Woody

Hi Robo!
That's in the main because i am on the same path as you. I am1.88 and was 107.4 kilos 20 days ago now down to 102.7 kilos.
My reasoning was simple i walk an average of 5 to 8 miles a day with my G/Dog and have done for years no probs!
Almost the minute i decided to walk a Camino, something that has been in my head for years; my body started to object.

So plantar fasciitis, mild Achilles tendonitis appeared as well as my right knee giving me grief and getting worse!
Didn't take much thinking about i knew i was a fatboy and thought if i want to walk Camino i have got to shed pounds.
I am eating more food than i did but the right stuff; fish,chicken,fruit and veg and no BISCUITS (my downfall i would eat 8 milk chocolate hobnobs with a coffee; altogether that's nearly a 1000 cals)
The simple truth is, that in the last four days no planar or knee pain hopefully that will continue fingers crossed.
Please don't laugh i think maybe my plantir and tendonitis might have been aggravated /caused by my very snug darn tough's by restricting the blood flow to my foot/ankle cos i swapped to a looser fit hiking sock and that seems to have made a substantial difference.
Secondly and not really relevant my birthday is mid May ( the 16th) just wondered if by fluke we had the same day.(guy in the next street has same christian and surname as me; and it's not a common one i just like stupid stuff like that)
All the best
Woody

Great to hear you are making good progress @woody66. It's too easy to let the weight pile on isn't it!
My Birthday is the day before yours :)

The title of your chat is "Can I walk the Camino overweight". I emphasize the I because I think it's totally personal and pertains to you, not necessarily others. I applaud your weight loss efforts but don't agree they have to apply to others as you imply.

My personal story. In 2016 I walked my first Camino, the Primitivo plus Finisterre & Muxia at just under 300 pounds (136 kg, BMI close to 42) just seven months after 2 total knee replacement surgeries. In 2017 it was the Camino Portuguese Coastal plus we went back and spent a day walking the Hospitales route on the Primitivo (in 2016 we took the Pola de Allande route), again at the same weight. 2018 was the Camino Ingles plus Finisterre & Muxia at a similar weight. 2019 was the Camino Norte from Irun - I actually just started walking when I got off the plane in Biarritz (after an overnight flight from Canada) and spent that day "warming up" by walking to Irun. My walk included the alpinist route from Irun and most of the coastal GR routes to avoid pavement and I walked down to Oviedo for a days rest before returning to Aviles to continue. You guessed it, again at a similar body weight. My 2020 plan to walk the VLDP from Almeria to Santiago was scuttled for obvious reasons. My current plan is to walk the Le Puy and Frances Caminos starting in mid August this year. I switched from the VLDP hoping my two teenage granddaughters will join me for at least part of the Camino Frances.

My point is, the weight we walk at is totally personal. I do admit that I'm not the fastest walker but I often think of the tortoise and the hare - the key is to finish. There was only one day, on the route from Santiago to Finisterre in 2016 that I couldn't walk because of a foot problem but I blame that more on my poor choice of boots than my weight. I do like to keep stages to a maximum of 25 km (mostly my wife's limit) but have done several over 30 km although it does make for rather longish days as I average between 3 and 4 km per hour. I'll be 72 this year so I'm sure that affects my speed as well.

Can I walk the Camino Overweight? Yes I can and relish every day that I have. Can other people? It's their personal Camino and their personal choice.

Buen Camino to ALL

Charles

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for sharing your story. And for being open about the difficulties you have walking as an overweight person. Very inspiring.
Good luck with your surgery in February.

The title of your chat is "Can I walk the Camino overweight". I emphasize the I because I think it's totally personal and pertains to you, not necessarily others. I applaud your weight loss efforts but don't agree they have to apply to others as you imply.

My personal story. In 2016 I walked my first Camino, the Primitivo plus Finisterre & Muxia at just under 300 pounds (136 kg, BMI close to 42) just seven months after 2 total knee replacement surgeries. In 2017 it was the Camino Portuguese Coastal plus we went back and spent a day walking the Hospitales route on the Primitivo (in 2016 we took the Pola de Allande route), again at the same weight. 2018 was the Camino Ingles plus Finisterre & Muxia at a similar weight. 2019 was the Camino Norte from Irun - I actually just started walking when I got off the plane in Biarritz (after an overnight flight from Canada) and spent that day "warming up" by walking to Irun. My walk included the alpinist route from Irun and most of the coastal GR routes to avoid pavement and I walked down to Oviedo for a days rest before returning to Aviles to continue. You guessed it, again at a similar body weight. My 2020 plan to walk the VLDP from Almeria to Santiago was scuttled for obvious reasons. My current plan is to walk the Le Puy and Frances Caminos starting in mid August this year. I switched from the VLDP hoping my two teenage granddaughters will join me for at least part of the Camino Frances.

My point is, the weight we walk at is totally personal. I do admit that I'm not the fastest walker but I often think of the tortoise and the hare - the key is to finish. There was only one day, on the route from Santiago to Finisterre in 2016 that I couldn't walk because of a foot problem but I blame that more on my poor choice of boots than my weight. I do like to keep stages to a maximum of 25 km (mostly my wife's limit) but have done several over 30 km although it does make for rather longish days as I average between 3 and 4 km per hour. I'll be 72 this year so I'm sure that affects my speed as well.

Can I walk the Camino Overweight? Yes I can and relish every day that I have. Can other people? It's their personal Camino and their personal choice.

Buen Camino to ALL

Charles

Good points of course. Perhaps my wording should have been more like, walking overweight was not good for me. If walking your first Camino, consider it carefully. Great to hear that your weight has not affected your Caminos!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Good video and positive intent. Good luck.
I was 105kg in August and set myself the objective of ‘losing my pack’ weight whilst we’re unable to Camino.

Four months later I’m down to (slightly under) 92kg, without any significant strife. I did use the 5:2 regimen to get going and a calorie-tracking app which did open my eyes to the calorie content of my favourite snack foods - most of which are now a distant memory.

I used to play rugby seriously at about my current weight and was very fit in the army at just a little under. I think I succumbed to an inactive career in later life.

Anyway. 12 kilos down and a little more to go.

Good luck Robbo - it’ll be worth it.

Hi Robo!

All the best
Woody
Woody

i’ve also had plantar fasciitis and knee pain, and body weight must have been a factor. I’ve had much less of an issue now that I’ve lost some weight.

have you tried stretching off your calf muscle on the affected leg? PF doesn’t necessarily originate in the foot, the calf muscles attaching through the Achilles are significant as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good video and positive intent. Good luck.
I was 105kg in August and set myself the objective of ‘losing my pack’ weight whilst we’re unable to Camino.

Four months later I’m down to (slightly under) 92kg, without any significant strife. I did use the 5:2 regimen to get going and a calorie-tracking app which did open my eyes to the calorie content of my favourite snack foods - most of which are now a distant memory.

I used to play rugby seriously at about my current weight and was very fit in the army at just a little under. I think I succumbed to an inactive career in later life.

Anyway. 12 kilos down and a little more to go.

Good luck Robbo - it’ll be worth it.

Well done. I have found the 5:2 approach to be the most effective.

Well done. I have found the 5:2 approach to be the most effective.

it’s interesting isn’t it? It doesn’t last long - you can count off the 48hours if you need to, but there’s usually a satisfying result.

Anyway - good luck. 90% of the problem is getting started. I speak, unusually, with authority on procrastination.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Robo!

Just curious. How do you manage on Camino without your Guide Dog?
I have walked with a couple of blind Pilgrims off and on and they were doing some amazing cane work!
But it gets very tiring I think. They took to the roads for a break.

Great video! The first to address the 'elephant in the room' (pun intended ;)) as I agree, this shaving off grams from the pack whilst ignoring body weight ... - and I have seen so many injuries due to being overweight. I even had a hugely fat pilgrim who had fallen a couple of times on the descent from Alto de Perdon that I couldn't stick dressings onto his grazes as he was sweating so much just sitting still!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Robo!
You asked me this question:
Just curious. How do you manage on Camino without your Guide Dog?
I have walked with a couple of blind Pilgrims off and on and they were doing some amazing cane work!
But it gets very tiring I think. They took to the roads for a break.

My answer is simple i don't know; but if i sit here i never will and life should never be a life of regret and what if's.
"Anyone who has never failed has never tried"

Oh my yes in itself blindness is exhausting without the walk but i have lived it for 30 years it's just part of life however i developed i survival technique many many years ago;it's a game just play the game.
And that game is how do i!
How to get from A to B,complete a task,join in family activities etc,etc if it goes wrong even painfully wrong laugh and move on life's to short to be sad.

The last part of doing anything is faith in yourself and trust in others we all experience that in life.
I have rock climbed,white water rafted,gone rifle shooting(targets not people).
But i think the stupidest/scariest thing was sliding down the Sierra Navada for fun on a tea tray with my 6 year old daughter on my lap navigating at the speed of sound; with family shouting, oh my god, oh my god in the distance.
We had a soft landing in the only puddle of melted snow on the mountain. both of us freezing cold and wet she led me back up the mountain at which point we left obviously.
On reflection my idea of fun outweighed common sense.

Regarding my dog;believe me i know my boy and he's a wonderful,adorable,clever dog but anywhere new and he's a real handful;all the Camino for him is new!
Other reasons i have for not taking him are health related; what if he or i are ill.
Also i don't work him hard in the heat he's black; i maybe stupid enough to endure long days walk in the sun but as i love him it's not fair to make him endure it!

I will have my 140cm long cane which i am competent with,GPS tracks on Osmand+ with voice prompts, wise pilgrim app on phone with voice,a step by step audio book of the route telling me what on left or right and approx distance like in 100mtrs turn left.
I chose the Portuguese Coastal and Senda Litoral because i hope it will be the easiest to orientate myself as a lot is board walk,road and track.
I have also contemplated using hiking poles for more rural stretches;my thinking on this was my vulnerability!(in towns ,cities and where there are people i will use my cane)
I am as you are aware a big bloke but i cant hide my blindness especially with my long cane; it sticks out like a sore thumb and alone on a woodland path not having that symbol may with my size give me a bit more confidence alone in the unknown !(not all people have good intent)
A four foot long hiking pole can be used maybe not as deftly as the cane;but a stick is a stick whatever the colour!

Finally i have no qualms about asking for help although for me the whole point of this walk is to prove that i can achieve as much as i can by myself. I know me and each time i have to ask will diminish what i want most independence.
Bet you wished you'd never asked Robo!

My next novel will be War and Peace two!!!!!!!
All the best Woody.

Bit of an update from the 'Chubby Pilgrim'.

Christmas really put a dent in the weight loss :oops:
I find a 'bad' day of eating, can actually set me back a week in terms of progress.
Lose the extra weight gained, and then more to get back on track.

But I think I have found what works for me.
Intermittent fasting.

No, it's not a 5:2.

But eat lightly, and 'only' eat between 8am and 4 pm.
Outside those hours, just water!

For me it's working.
Interesting articles on it.

Now 13 kgs down. On track to get to my 'surgery' weight at the end of Feb.
And I reckon I'll just keep going till I get down to the upper level of 'normal'. 70 kgs.
On my Birthday.
That will be 33 kgs gone!
Bit like walking a Camino.
I only focus on today and the next kg :cool:

On target next week, to no longer be classed as Obese! :)

The wiggly like is actual weight each day.
The target line is the green dashed line.
It 'was' the solid black line but that was just too hard...

Weight.jpg

Last edited:
"Wow" well done Robo great result !
That's amazing progress;your doing so great and will defo hit your target weight by your birthday no probs!
(if you turn sideways on your birthday you will disappear ha!ha!)

I have stuck to 1500 calories a day.
Today is day 70 and i am down 9.5 kilos still got 4kilos to go; but it is slow going even with long walks.
Did nine and a bit miles yesterday;but not getting on scales for at least a week so hopefully will see a difference.
At least weights going in the right direction for us both and like you i want to be at the upper level of normal BMI.
Funnily enough my family have said at that weight in the past i looked emaciated;and that's at a weight over a stone more than my supposed optimum BMI so 94 kilos is where i will stop!!!
By our birthdays with luck we should both be able to eat the cake!!!!!! (the whole cake)
So pleased it's going well for you Robo; willpower is the biggest weapon in the battle !
All the best
Woody.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I find a 'bad' day of eating, can actually set me back a week in terms of progress.

Intermittent fasting.

For me it's working.

And I reckon I'll just keep going till I get down to the upper level of 'normal'. 70 kgs.
On my Birthday.

View attachment 91573
Congratulations. Good for you. I need to do that too.

"Wow" well done Robo great result !
That's amazing progress;your doing so great and will defo hit your target weight by your birthday no probs!
(if you turn sideways on your birthday you will disappear ha!ha!)

I have stuck to 1500 calories a day.
Today is day 70 and i am down 9.5 kilos still got 4kilos to go; but it is slow going even with long walks.
Did nine and a bit miles yesterday;but not getting on scales for at least a week so hopefully will see a difference.
At least weights going in the right direction for us both and like you i want to be at the upper level of normal BMI.
Funnily enough my family have said at that weight in the past i looked emaciated;and that's at a weight over a stone more than my supposed optimum BMI so 94 kilos is where i will stop!!!
By our birthdays with luck we should both be able to eat the cake!!!!!! (the whole cake)
So pleased it's going well for you Robo; willpower is the biggest weapon in the battle !
All the best
Woody.

Great to hear of your progress @woody66 . Well done.

Intermittent fasting.

For me it's working.

On my Birthday.

View attachment 91573
I started Intermittent Fasting back in September. I don't really have much weight to lose, but was concerned that my weight was slowly creeping up, despite walking 5-8 miles a day.
I've only lost those few extra pounds, but the important thing is that I'm not gaining any more.
I'm not naturally hungry in the morning, so I restrict my eating to noon to 8 pm.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll just put it out there........
As one who has struggled with weight for 25 years.
And stood in front of the mirror ashamed and embarrassed.

My current diet regime is the only thing that has worked.
Based on intermittent fasting, but quite strict. Be warned.

Some of my overseas team at work asked how I managed it.
So I threw together an impromptu video talking through what I tried, with a few tips.
It's not for public viewing.
I'm no health or medical expert, and was merely sharing with some colleagues how it had worked for 'me'.

But, if anyone is really struggling with weight loss, and thinks they might get some value from the video, I'm happy to share it on a private (non public) link, if it's only for your own personal viewing.

Just DM me.

I think part of the reason I love the movie 'The Way', is that I totally related to the character of Joost.
Particularly that scene of his room service dinner in the Parador........
Oh, how many times I had felt like that in the past..........

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back