• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confessions of a Fat Pilgrim

I'm one of the lucky ones who does usually manage to lose size when I walk a camino, even if I do not always lose weight. One of the advantages of walking is that it keeps me out of the kitchen! Still, it seems a shame not to enjoy the food on offer in different countries - it is part of the experience - but I try to be a bit judicious. As a Dutch friend once said to me - don't have both butter and cheese on your bread. Choose one or the other.
Make toast and melt the cheese: scrumptious.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As a Dutch friend once said to me - don't have both butter and cheese on your bread. Choose one or the other.
I am not Dutch, so no comment. But for the record in this case I am glad not to be Dutch.;)

Or wait...
Maybe not, seeing what that butter and cheese have made.:confused:
@Kanga's right, though. A little less somewhere through the day can be relatively painless but still make a difference.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
He was responding to:

Lisa Brownsey said:
"The food is abundant on the Camino but my husband managed to loose 10kg when he cut out all sugars. No dessert for him from the pilgrim menu. He doesn’t drink alcohol though."

Unfortunately, you can only lose weight by cutting alcohol if you drink it in the first place. If you are a non-drinker, cutting alcohol will do nothing for you. Otherwise, I'd be a lot skinnier.
Many years ago my two daughters were asked what they were going to give up for Lent.
Katherine: cake, chocolate, biscuits and sweets
Philippa: swearing . . . (she was 9)
Beg pardon? Swearing? But you don't swear. It'll be easy then won't it?

I take some issue with the statements of some people, including OP, here. I'm fat. Like proper fat. I'm at least 90 pounds overweight. And I can hike.

The only real problem I have, is finding proper hiking clothes that fit, but for the rest...I can walk just as well as many people with normal weights and sizes. It might cost me a little more effort, and I might sweat more than the next person, but I can still do it. Even right now, I'm hiking 15 miles easily these days and I know average sized people who can't do that. So fat or not, you can still train and reach goals.

I haven't walked a Camino yet, but I'm working on it. It's a dream of mine and I'm not going to let my big butt stop me. So what? Now fat people can't enjoy the outdoors because we're too fat and that might hurt our knees? Come on...you can train for everything. If it takes a skinny person half a year to train for the Camino, it might take me a year, but I can still train for it. There are many people who hike the Camino without any training at all, and there are also quite a few very old people finishing the Camino, so I guess a properly prepared fatty can do it as well.

Hiking is good for you. Training for a major hike is good for you. Enjoying the outdoors is good for you. It's good for your body, it's good for your wellbeing. Maybe I'll lose weight training for the Camino and maybe not. But training for it, and hiking it won't hurt me anymore then any other person, especially with a sensible approach.

If you're really not buying a ticket to SJPDP before you're a certain weight, you're only going to sell yourself short. I have waited to do many things in my life if I reached X weight, and the bottom line is that those things rarely happen, because most of our weight goals are way too ambitious. So buy that ticket, start training in time, get a good set of trekking poles and don't put too much weight on your back. Hike the Camino and live your life. If you lose weight doing it, good for you! If you don't, you'll at least have a bloody good time.

@AnnaWinter We don't want you to give up your dream. Almost all of the posters on this thread have also walked the camino and not let their weight get in the way of the dream.

But on this thread we are discussing the merits of losing weight before walking maybe a 3rd or 4th camino - and we are supporting the OP who wants to lose weight.

You have a great attitude about the camino, and we look forward to hearing about your adventure!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@AnnaWinter We don't want you to give up your dream. Almost all of the posters on this thread have also walked the camino and not let their weight get in the way of the dream.

But on this thread we are discussing the merits of losing weight before walking maybe a 3rd or 4th camino - and we are supporting the OP who wants to lose weight.

You have a great attitude about the camino, and we look forward to hearing about your adventure!

Thank you for your kind reply. Of course I know it's always easier to do anything when you're lighter, but for some people that's never going to happen, however hard they try. It's just that a few remarks were along the lines of "don't try this when you're overweight" and I used to be one of those people that really let that stop me. And I wanted to write something on this thread for any of those people ;-)

Thank you for your kind reply. Of course I know it's always easier to do anything when you're lighter, but for some people that's never going to happen, however hard they try. It's just that a few remarks were along the lines of "don't try this when you're overweight" and I used to be one of those people that really let that stop me. And I wanted to write something on this thread for any of those people ;-)
@AnnaWinter
It sounds like you're doing excellent preparation for your first camino. Hiking 15 miles in a day makes you a lot more ready than many of us were. However, I could not see anything about your location in your information available on the forum. Could I suggest that, if you live in a flat area, you might do some practice in climbing? It is possible to do this climbing up and down in a sports facility, and not just in the mountains. I am, I suspect, a fair bit older than you, and I was not in good condition when I walked my first camino three years ago. I was also overweight. But I had a lot of experience in mountain hiking: body and brain knew what to do and I took the high points with ease, if not with speed. It might make things easier for you, especially if you start in St Jean pied de Port, if you had some practice in this. Buen camino.

I take some issue with the statements of some people, including OP, here. I'm fat. Like proper fat. I'm at least 90 pounds overweight. And I can hike.

The only real problem I have, is finding proper hiking clothes that fit, but for the rest...I can walk just as well as many people with normal weights and sizes. It might cost me a little more effort, and I might sweat more than the next person, but I can still do it. Even right now, I'm hiking 15 miles easily these days and I know average sized people who can't do that. So fat or not, you can still train and reach goals.

I haven't walked a Camino yet, but I'm working on it. It's a dream of mine and I'm not going to let my big butt stop me. So what? Now fat people can't enjoy the outdoors because we're too fat and that might hurt our knees? Come on...you can train for everything. If it takes a skinny person half a year to train for the Camino, it might take me a year, but I can still train for it. There are many people who hike the Camino without any training at all, and there are also quite a few very old people finishing the Camino, so I guess a properly prepared fatty can do it as well.

Hiking is good for you. Training for a major hike is good for you. Enjoying the outdoors is good for you. It's good for your body, it's good for your wellbeing. Maybe I'll lose weight training for the Camino and maybe not. But training for it, and hiking it won't hurt me anymore then any other person, especially with a sensible approach.

If you're really not buying a ticket to SJPDP before you're a certain weight, you're only going to sell yourself short. I have waited to do many things in my life if I reached X weight, and the bottom line is that those things rarely happen, because most of our weight goals are way too ambitious. So buy that ticket, start training in time, get a good set of trekking poles and don't put too much weight on your back. Hike the Camino and live your life. If you lose weight doing it, good for you! If you don't, you'll at least have a bloody good time.

Go for it. Great attitude ! :):)

Absolutely DON'T let your weight stop you.

I was merely pointing out that for me, it was a bad choice, and caused much pain and not insignificant permanent damage. And if I share that experience and 'call myself out' on it, others may have a better Camino and vastly increase their chances of finishing one.

Lots of people have to give up through injury............

Maybe it was because I walked three vastly overweight :oops:
I won't make it a fourth time at this weight. I know that. No way Jose.....
I'd be lucky to make 200-300 kms I reckon.
So I'd rather give myself better odds fourth time around ;)

The 'Elephant in the Room' for me was the thinking (like many) that " I'll train when I get there " or " I'll start slow and get fitter as I walk "

I was fooling myself really. Whilst my Strength and Stamina certainly improved it was the weight on my feet and joints that still caused the pain and damage.

So I'm going to try the 'easy' option next time. Yea right! Easy!
Reducing the weight on my feet and joints.
I've got my pack down to about 6 KG.
How could would it feel, to have another 15-20 KG weight reduction on my feet and legs?
I'll be running up those hills :):)
It will be soooooo easy :cool:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@AnnaWinter
It sounds like you're doing excellent preparation for your first camino. Hiking 15 miles in a day makes you a lot more ready than many of us were. However, I could not see anything about your location in your information available on the forum. Could I suggest that, if you live in a flat area, you might do some practice in climbing? It is possible to do this climbing up and down in a sports facility, and not just in the mountains. I am, I suspect, a fair bit older than you, and I was not in good condition when I walked my first camino three years ago. I was also overweight. But I had a lot of experience in mountain hiking: body and brain knew what to do and I took the high points with ease, if not with speed. It might make things easier for you, especially if you start in St Jean pied de Port, if you had some practice in this. Buen camino.

Thanks. That's very good advice since I live in a flat area. I'm 45, so not quite old but not quite young anymore :) the Pyrenees do scare me little, so I'd like to be well prepared!

@AnnaWinter for hiking clothes that fit and are very comfortable for those of us who are not skinny, have a look at these Macabi skirts. They have a few fans on this forum, including me. Can be worn with long boxer briefs to prevent chaffing, like these.

The pockets are great. Carries passport, credential, wallet, smartphone - and a water bottle! The pockets don't work so well with the short skirts. My choice is the slim line in a medium length.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, my name's Robo and I'm fat !

According to all the guides I should be about 20 kg lighter!

I've been reading lots of interesting posts and threads recently about topics such as:

1. How to train for the Camino.
  2. How much weight will I lose on the Camino
  3. I'm trying to lose weight before I go
  4. etc etc
I'd just like to address the Elephant in the Room here :eek:

I planned to lose weight before my first Camino. And didn't lose much.
I planned to do lots of training, and didn't do much.
Because I was overweight, the training caused injury.......

I have walked the CF from St Jean twice and Sarria (plus a bit) once.

And here are some observations from a 'fatty' :)

Thinking I could train on the Camino, by starting slowly. I was kidding myself. It hurt, all the way........ all 3 times.
It started hurting a bit less after a week as my legs got stronger.
And in the last week it hurt a lot......as my legs and joints found it hard to cope.

Training overweight, caused damage before I even started.

Walking three times overweight has caused permanent damage.

If you are significantly overweight, as I am. (BMI 32) You probably eat and/or drink too much and have a poor diet.
If you think you are somehow going to eat less on the Camino, think again.
The walking will make you hungry, and the plentiful supply of yummy, cheap, and hi carb/fat food ain't going to help you much.

On 3 Caminos, whilst I got fitter and stronger, I hardly lost any weight. Maybe 2-3 kg. (starting at 94)

So fool yourself as much as you like ;)

But for my next Camino, I'll be:

Losing weight before I go. By eating less! (Yes, it's about energy balance. Not rocket science)
I will loose at least 10 kg before I start any serious training.
I will aim for a BMI of about 25-26 if I can, before starting my next Camino.
Still bordering on overweight but a lot lighter than I am now.

I know that if I walk again with a BMI of 32 that.
I might not make it through injury.
And if I do make it, it going to be really painful..........again.

I've come across a few Pilgrims my size or bigger, and..........
90% of them had terrible foot and blister problems.
No wonder really is it ? :oops:

So if you are a fatty like me.
Do yourself a big favour.
And use your upcoming Camino as a really good reason to lose some serious weight, before you go.

Your Camino will be easier.
Less painful.
And far less damaging in the long term.

P.S. I find it really hard to stick to diets.
But the one that seems to work is the 5-2, or a variation of it.
Basically 2 days a week I don't eat much at all.
When I do this, I can lose 1-2 kgs a week easily.

Then Pat cooks a great meal, I get a bottle of wine to go with it.
And I start all over again :(
But you get the point.
I know what I need to do prior to my next Camino.......
And I've found a diet that will work when I need it.

I have had another thought! (Steady.....:D)
Walk the Via Francigena from the start. I can guarantee you’ll lose weight when going through the French part! It took me 25 days from Canterbury to Besançon, not sure how much I lost but 12 days later, in Germany, I could weigh myself and I had lost 10 kgs. That was after 12 whole days of eating myself silly to compensate.... :D

I take some issue with the statements of some people, including OP, here.

If you took any issue with what I wrote it wasn't intentional on my part at all.

I am only a judgmental person when it comes to myself and how I am, not others. I've seen what people that are my weight or more can do and are doing when it comes to Triathlons, distance running, endurance events and such...and I have done some stuff that people didn't think I could do or were surprised I could do.

If others are comfortable in their own skin far be it for me to say anything about what they choose to do other than to support them.

Ultimately for me it comes to doing something smart & loosing weight prior to the Camino for me (not others) is the smarter choice. Because of my knee injury before and because it will make the trek easier on me. I know I've felt better at my target weight and I miss that. I also know I was able to do more physically. I have already started training at my present weight and I know I can shed it and train at the same time so it's more me taking the easy way on the Camino when I do it for the first time. But that's just me :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@AnnaWinter
Could I suggest that, if you live in a flat area, you might do some practice in climbing? It is possible to do this climbing up and down in a sports facility, and not just in the mountains.

Another suggestion for anyone living in a flat area but is in an urban area/city, use parking garages.

Kansas is very flat and the nearest mountains are 6-8 hours away. I have hosted a ruck for a group that is a 6 mile ruck that goes to 14 parking garages...we go up the stairs or ramps, then down. Anyone going on it does what they can and skips stairs as needed. It's a great workout and helps training for elevation. Those that have done a Camino would think we are crazy though because of the weight we carry doing these, which I don't suggest for anyone unless your used it.

Well said!

Ah. We have a different philosophy at work.
Work More, Make More, Give More.
Long story ;)

Great Advice. Totally agree, even without the benefit of the long story. Although it's a great excuse to share a bottle!

In 2008, I ballooned to almost 125 kg before my body succumbed to diabetes. A sobering event, but one that made it clear that controlling my weight was not an option. I quickly lost 13-15 kg and have it under control now through meds, some exercise, and diet - not as in "on a diet," but rather knowing what I eat.

I've lost another 9 kg since the beginning of August when my daughter and I decided to walk the Camino next year. I realized just the other day that it's a bit more than the pack I'll be wearing. And I'd like to lose another 10 by our trip in April. She's a 21 yo, fit gymnastics coach, so she'll be a great motivator when I get lazy!

For me, it really is about calories-in < calories-out. So simple. I use the myfitnesspal app to log everything I eat and all the exercise I do. I like the fact that I decide how much I want to lose in a week, and it gives me a guideline # of calories to make that happen. Seeing the charts in the app showing the days that I'm compliant (and those days I'm not) really helps the motivation by providing instant feedback. I also get to choose how I spend those last 200 calories every day... a cookie? a dram of whisky? a hot apple cider? My choice!

Good luck Robo. It sounds like you've got the right attitude to be successful. I like to live by Oscar Wilde's advice: "Everything in moderation, including moderation.” But when I have a goal in my mind like the Camino, I KNOW I can do what it takes to make it.

Work more...

Jerry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me, it really is about calories-in < calories-out. So simple. I use the myfitnesspal app to log everything I eat and all the exercise I do. I like the fact that I decide how much I want to lose in a week, and it gives me a guideline # of calories to make that happen. Seeing the charts in the app showing the days that I'm compliant (and those days I'm not) really helps the motivation by providing instant feedback. I also get to choose how I spend those last 200 calories every day... a cookie? a dram of whisky? a hot apple cider? My choice!

I love the app myfitnesspal, I used it to shed 90lbs in about a year....so that is what I'm back to using.

Interesting thread for me, I'm trying to gauge what weight (if any) I might lose doing the CF ... especially as I look at trying to figure clothes sizes. (Considering linen trousers & shirt for evenings coz of heat, or just a linen sack 🤪 )

Last year I hit 92kg, and made an effort to go out walking locally for 2-4 hours a day (5-6km/h), cut my portion sizes down (or rather increased protien, cut fat & carbs) and virtually cutting out sugary drinks (cut the 1-1.5l of coke a day, to just a 250ml real fruit drink mix; plus water of course).

From mid April till Mid june I was able to go from 92 to 77kg ... Unfortunately I haven't been so good keeping if off, when I hit the cold months and depression kicked in more I've now gone up to roughly 83.5kg (mostly over the last couple of months 🤬).

For me, it really is about calories-in < calories-out.
Unfortunately, this is not simple for me. I live in Calgary, western Canada. We have just had a week of cold temperatures and snow. This makes snowfall in Calgary during eight months in a row now. My big fear, as I age (71 now) is falling and breaking bones, which will put me out of commission for so many of the things that I love to do, including walking caminos. It is warming up here: the snow has turned to rain and I am back on the streets. I find that I feel better, sleep better, and oddly, my arthritis hurts less, if I walk. I am remembering my first camino walk, when I had to buy a belt in Santiago to keep my skirt up. I won't need that belt when I leave this year, but I might have to buy another when I arrive. Buen camino to all.

Great advice. Just throwing this out there to those of you who intend to lose weight. One alcoholic beverage a day for a year will increase your weight about 10 pounds if you do not do any extra exercise to burn off those dead calories. Just sayin'. Do whatever you like with that information.
That's why I cut out vegetables --- to maintain caloric neutrality.

I am only fat when I look in the mirror or try to fasten the waist belt on my back pack. There is no reason not to enjoy the cooking in France and Spain, n'est pas?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m a thin fat person!!!! It drives me crazy. I know how I feel when I’m wearing that extra 15 lbs. I look the same but feel horrible!
It hurts.
Getting out is my only solution. Rain or shine.
Discipline is my weakness. The Camino is my solution. Live there and eat what I want!!!!!!!

I've been reading lots of interesting posts and threads recently about topics such as:

4. etc etc

Thinking I could train on the Camino, by starting slowly. I was kidding myself. It hurt, all the way........ all 3 times.
And in the last week it hurt a lot......as my legs and joints found it hard to cope.

If you are significantly overweight, as I am. (BMI 32) You probably eat and/or drink too much and have a poor diet.
The walking will make you hungry, and the plentiful supply of yummy, cheap, and hi carb/fat food ain't going to help you much.

On 3 Caminos, whilst I got fitter and stronger, I hardly lost any weight. Maybe 2-3 kg. (starting at 94)

Losing weight before I go. By eating less! (Yes, it's about energy balance. Not rocket science)

And use your upcoming Camino as a really good reason to lose some serious weight, before you go.

Less painful.

But you get the point.
I love your brilliant, positive, can-do attitude!! 👏👏

I love your brilliant, positive, can-do attitude!! 👏👏
I agree! @Robo is a positive addition to this forum and I enjoy reading both the threads he starts and his posts on other's. His video chats with various forum members are a highlight as well and I appreciate the time he spends doing that.
He doesn't lack in humor, either.😊

4. etc etc

Less painful.

But you get the point.
Thank you very very mucho for his flagrant honesty. I’ve done two caminos and only lost between 5-8 % body weight largely fat. Spanish and French wines and bread and sausage were daily staples! On Camino number 3, I plan to reduce quantities lol!

Congrats on the Camino and the courage to walk them.i too am a classical fatty
BMI 37..being 6 foot tall etc. I don't get BMI charts though..are they made by vegan elves?
Nothing wrong with being Vegan..or an elf...
But..I ponder the moniker of morbidly obese..
I fit into American size 40-38 jeans, have wide shoulders etc...I am heavy..but morbidly so?
Ime supposed to weigh 180 lbs or so..again, elf on a leaf...?
If you walked 500 miles... 20-25 kilometers a day? ide say you were in vastly better shape than 98%of people.

Using a online calculator, my previous BMI was 51.4.
I will also be in lighter weight when I finally go..I am too old,too worn out to train on the go and recover from sustained training on the fly..now, if there was a giant spider relentlessly stalking me for 500 miles...then yah no problem.
Wishing you the very best!

Dear Robo -- I feel like your post is a version of my own story -- I can so completely relate to your situation.

Before walking my first Camino in 2013, I lost 66 kg. At the time I was in the best shape of my life and walked the entire Frances without a single blister. Fast forward 2 years, I had regained about 9 kg of my loss. We walked the Primitivo and I struggled with horrible blisters. I blamed everything -- new shoes, warmer weather, you name it. But I knew that the main thing that had changed was my weight. Fast forward 2 more years and 8 more kgs. of gain and I could not finish the Danish Haervejen. I had to stop 10km short of our planned finish because tendonitis prevented me from continuing even that short additional distance. I had the blister situation largely under control but again, what was the big change -- weight gain.

We were planning to walk the Aragonese and Frances this past September. My gain had continued with 6 more kgs. -- almost 20 kgs. from my original Camino weight. I had originally thought about walking from Le Puy, but in the end I was worried that I wasn't in good enough shape to risk the longer stages that would be needed.

Through all this gain, I kept telling myself I would get a handle on things, I would train and lose the weight, I would lose the weight while on my Camino, I was still way less than when I started so it was OK, my weight was not the source of any of my issues..... My mental litany was the same as yours. In January 2020 just before the pandemic started, my husband and I travelled to London. We walked over 20,000 steps every day and by the time I boarded the plane to come home, I was struggling with such severe hip pain that I could hardly walk. This finally scared me into taking more substantial actions.

I consulted my doctor about my weight situation. She got me into a medical weight loss program. I have lost 18 kg so far and have six more to lose to get to my goal. We are planning a new camino -- Vasco/Frances/Invierno for September 2021 or the Via de la Plata for October2021 or March 2022 -- all depending on being vaccinated.

There is so much more I could tell you. Along the way of these losses and gains, I have had a total ankle replacement and breast cancer, speaking of injuries/health issues resulting from excess weight......

All this is to say that I understand the struggle, the ups and the downs. I will be sending energy your way and keeping you in my prayers. Message if you want to exchange more details or just have a Camino weight loss buddy! I'm not big on handing out advice because I think each of our situations is unique at many levels. Motivation has to come from within! I will simply say Ultreia -- you can do this, LizB

Dear Robo -- I feel like your post is a version of my own story -- I can so completely relate to your situation.

Before walking my first Camino in 2013, I lost 66 kg. At the time I was in the best shape of my life and walked the entire Frances without a single blister. Fast forward 2 years, I had regained about 9 kg of my loss. We walked the Primitivo and I struggled with horrible blisters. I blamed everything -- new shoes, warmer weather, you name it. But I knew that the main thing that had changed was my weight. Fast forward 2 more years and 8 more kgs. of gain and I could not finish the Danish Haervejen. I had to stop 10km short of our planned finish because tendonitis prevented me from continuing even that short additional distance. I had the blister situation largely under control but again, what was the big change -- weight gain.

We were planning to walk the Aragonese and Frances this past September. My gain had continued with 6 more kgs. -- almost 20 kgs. from my original Camino weight. I had originally thought about walking from Le Puy, but in the end I was worried that I wasn't in good enough shape to risk the longer stages that would be needed.

Through all this gain, I kept telling myself I would get a handle on things, I would train and lose the weight, I would lose the weight while on my Camino, I was still way less than when I started so it was OK, my weight was not the source of any of my issues..... My mental litany was the same as yours. In January 2020 just before the pandemic started, my husband and I travelled to London. We walked over 20,000 steps every day and by the time I boarded the plane to come home, I was struggling with such severe hip pain that I could hardly walk. This finally scared me into taking more substantial actions.

I consulted my doctor about my weight situation. She got me into a medical weight loss program. I have lost 18 kg so far and have six more to lose to get to my goal. We are planning a new camino -- Vasco/Frances/Invierno for September 2021 or the Via de la Plata for October2021 or March 2022 -- all depending on being vaccinated.

There is so much more I could tell you. Along the way of these losses and gains, I have had a total ankle replacement and breast cancer, speaking of injuries/health issues resulting from excess weight......

All this is to say that I understand the struggle, the ups and the downs. I will be sending energy your way and keeping you in my prayers. Message if you want to exchange more details or just have a Camino weight loss buddy! I'm not big on handing out advice because I think each of our situations is unique at many levels. Motivation has to come from within! I will simply say Ultreia -- you can do this, LizB

Well done, very inspirational :)

I had forgotten about this post! And recently added a video version, with more up to date thoughts here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...arrying-a-few-extra-pounds.68929/#post-885845

Well done, very inspirational :)

I had forgotten about this post! And recently added a video version, with more up to date thoughts here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...arrying-a-few-extra-pounds.68929/#post-885845
I'm laughing a bit -- I didn't notice the date on your original post! I just listened to your recent vblog -- And you had me laughing and relating to all you said -- Wine, Carbs, and my personal joy, Cheese -- the elixirs of life! I also relate to that mystery of how/why one loses weight? Why can a person get motivated sometimes and struggle so much at other times. But I am so excited for you that this surgery has turned into such motivator for you! Best of continued luck with the upcoming surgery and weight loss!

LizB

I don't know if other pilgrims have the same issue with their rucksack belt as I have. When I start it normally fits perfectly but it seems to stretch as the days go on and I have to take it in. However the next time I go on a long walk a few months later the rucksack belt has shrunk back to its original size and sometimes it has shrunk even more!

As a Dutch friend once said to me - don't have both butter and cheese on your bread. Choose one or the other.
While the Dutch, imo, indulge in the very finest breakfasts in the whole world, an admirable trait, your friend errs here.
Of the three ingredients, the one to be dispensed with, is the bread! All those carbs cannot possibly be efficacious!
Just carve a nice slice of cheese from the block, spread it liberally with butter, then add a layering of some favourite condiment.
While some prefer Jam or even Vegemite, my preference is for a liberal layering of Peanut Butter. The result is a visual and mouthwatering delight.
Bread...all those carbs.
It just can't be good for you.
Regards
Gerard
PS
And French breakfasts. Should be a law against those.
They are the absolute worst in the world. Carb overload.

My wife started a nescessary diet due to high blodpressure and related ilness.

It is a ketogenic diet which cuts down on carbohydrates, not just calories.
Everything is calories, but if you only starve yourself, you go into low metabolism..
Anyway she started and it went very well and I chose to follow suit, as daily cooking was sure to change anyway, and I needed some change too.

The great idea is to get your system to accept burning your own lunch packet i e belly fat.
Insulin caused by too much carh build fat depots int of burning your own store first..
I am 3 weeks in now and have lost 8 kilos already, 40 days in all...

If you body chose to burn fat, it will do so with out insulin.
Ketogenic diet is used as diabetic solutio instead of pills for some patients who will benefit from it.

Big question is how my diet in the new management will look but it will include healthy fatty oils, good cheese and olives.....

If you look it up on youtube, look for Dr Sten Ekberg, he does lenghty, but competent and instructive videos of ½ hour with simple graphics for us to take down on paper, just like we oldies like it !!
-no shouting and only quiet frames...
So from two weeks of fasting 18 hours a day and only eating within an 8 hour window, I am now walking to work on only half the calory intake, restricted carb intake but small meals with healthy fats to start the keto, I am now energetic enough to work but not train...

Mornings are now like when on the Camino, I had forgotten to have a banana or apple for breakfast and had to walk 1o K before breakfast...
But now it is not too bad to wait till 10 o´clock for a breakfast of 100 grs of fruit only...

will check in again when the ordeal is over...

My wife started a nescessary diet due to high blodpressure and related ilness.

It is a ketogenic diet which cuts down on carbohydrates, not just calories.

Respecting that your wife needs this type of diet...
Hope she is coping well on it.

A friend of mine is on a Keto diet. Frankly it all just seems too hard.
I think any diet that takes you to a radically different way of eating is going to be very hard for some people to stick to.
I'm just eating my regular food........just a lot less of it.
If I splurge one day.......I cut back a bit the next day.
Working well so far.

5.5 kgs (12 lbs) down in 25 days so far.
That's almost my pack weight! :eek:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I respect that..
I think my hardest step initially was the daily fasting till 10 o´clock, but it gives ones digestive system a rest...
your progress is working for you
All the best ..

Respecting that your wife needs this type of diet...
Hope she is coping well on it.

A friend of mine is on a Keto diet. Frankly it all just seems too hard.
I think any diet that takes you to a radically different way of eating is going to be very hard for some people to stick to.
I'm just eating my regular food........just a lot less of it.
If I splurge one day.......I cut back a bit the next day.
Working well so far.

5.5 kgs (12 lbs) down in 25 days so far.
That's almost my pack weight! :eek:
@Robo
Checking in again after 40 days of reduced diet; have reached 9,5 kilos in spite of Xmas.
Pretty much where I wanted it to end....
As it is not a competition, merely wanting to ask you how you are doing in your progress ??

My having late brakfast at 10 o´clock have been a good training in holding out, even walking to my job before getting my first alimentation !
I have merely imagined I was on the Camino on rare occasions where I had saved nothing to eat in my pack and there being no opportunity in town for coffe and breakkie...

Please enjoy some more good dietary losses and have a Good New Year !!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.