• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confiscated by security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I've just been reading a live Facebook post from a relative, who is a conductor, saying the he has just found that his harpsichord tuning hammer is no longer allowed in his carry-on luggage. Ironically he is at Chopin Airport (Warsaw).

I know that trekking sticks are a perennial issue, but what other weird or strange things have you had to discard or repack into checked luggage?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just been reading a live Facebook post from a relative, who is a conductor, saying the he has just found that his harpsichord tuning hammer is no longer allowed in his carry-on luggage. Ironically he is at Chopin Airport (Warsaw).

I know that trekking sticks are a perennial issue, but what other weird or strange things have you had to discard or repack into checked luggage?

Do you mean specifically for the Camino?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, specifically things that people are taking for the Camino. My friend nearly lost her very loved Victorinox Swisscard that she was taking. It was only the kindness of security who offered to post it to her home address that saved it.

Well, this is pretty much off topic, but I once had to bring a few gallons of soup (long story) on a flight. My friendly TSA agent told me that so long as the liquid is frozen (in TSA lingo, that's an "altered state"), it can go through. (Though I don't know for sure, I've always assumed that this means that explosives will prevent liquids from freezing or something like that). I've told this to people traveling with kids and they have found that it really opens up possibilities for bringing kid food on board. (yoghurt, juices, etc).

And I have seen a fair number of small and large instruments carried lovingly (and at a fair personal cost) for many km on the Camino. It was always a treat to be able to relax and listen to dulcet tones after a long day's walk. I have absolutely no musical talent, but am happy to be the benificiary of those who do. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I had a pocket knife in my first aid kit on flights from Dublin to Madrid Santiago to Madrid however on my home leg from Madrid to Dublin the knife was confiscated by security

I carry a tiny pair of fold up scissors (1/2" blade) in my "foot bag" for cutting tape. I've hand carried them to Europe and back twice, many many flights in the US, but they were confiscated in Melbourne Australia last summer. As I was only passing thru on my way to NZ, I felt quite abused. :rolleyes: I have replaced them with a like pair and have since only flown domestically. Waiting to see if they make it to London in April.

We've generally, since 9-11, put our Swiss Army knifes in a checked bag, but one time we only did carry-on and remembered on the taxi to the airport that we still had a knife with us. Gave it to the taxi driver, which seemed preferable than giving it to security. Last year, when our checked bag was lost (with hiking poles and knives), we were able to replace the lost items easily in Bilbao, Spain. The sporting goods store we found there was a Decathlon-Capital (I wonder if it is part of a chain). I also have seen Swiss Army knives at many Tabac shops and similar in Santiago, which leads me to believe that knives are pretty easy to find along "The Way."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... The sporting goods store we found there was a Decathlon-Capital (I wonder if it is part of a chain). ...

Yes, Decathlon is a major, France based chain, but also having branches/shops in many other European countries. Buen Camino, SY

Last Summer, 2016, I lfew with 4 different airlines and simply stated I needed my poles to walk. No issue. Never a further question or raised brow. If you use your pole while walking thru the airport, into and out of Security and tecket desk, no problem.

Now, with a pack on my back and showing that I would be out of doors for an extended period of time, even a one inch blade, which should be allowed, was not. And at home, in the bush, my knife is substantial for many tasks, like batoning wood for a fire. But I did carry a cork screw. The other thing I had confiscated was tent pegs. They were metal and had a tapered, but not sharp tip.

I bought a bottle of wine in Santiago for our priest who had given us advice on the Camino. Confiscated at Madrid airport. I thought being sealed it would be okay. Will put in checked luggage this year

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whilst not a specific camino story - last Aug/Sept I travelled from Sydney to Rome via Dubai; from Rome to Tirana and then back to Rome. Only on this last sector did the X-Ray security system in Tirana, pick up that I had a pair of surgical scissors (about 80-90 mm in length) in my first-aid kit. It took the security lady about 10-15 minutes of searching through everything in my backpack (30l) before she finally found it. Says a lot for the other 4 airport security systems I was subjected to!!

Yes, I walked through local security numerous times with an old lawyers bodkin in my briefcase. I'd forgotten it was there
. BODKIN_LRG.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They used to be used to thread pink ribbon through documents, to hold them together. But nowadays they are just the handiest tool for all kinds of things; removing staples, pushing holes through bundles of papers, opening jars.

Okay, what exactly does a lawyer do with a bodkin, or should I be afraid to ask?

I had to look this one up and got a good wikipedia explanation, but then I had to go look up what a ferrule was. Do you lawyers in Australia still wear wigs too? Would love to see a picture of Kanga dressed in her lawyer's outfit holding her bodkin and her other assorted tools of the trade. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawyers_bodkin

Yep, although only in some courts. My wig rarely gets an outing these days. My favourite bit of the gear is the pocket hanging from the back of the gown, into which clients are supposed to put their money. It is all a bit ridiculous but several years ago we had a spate of murders of judges in a court where the wigs and gowns were no longer used. The psychologists advised that there needed to be a way of distancing the person from the office, and it was decided going back to wigs and gowns was a good way to do that. Wigs are not used in our High Court though, presumably the public never get close enough to those judges to be a threat.

All of which is totally unrelated to the camino. I can't even think of a segue!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had cuticle clippers taken away once. Not sure how you could stab somebody to death with those. However I was surprised to see somebody knitting on the plane
Knitting needles are allowed?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And yet in some flight classes with certain airlines you can find very sharp, six inch long , serrated steak knives amongst the cutlery .:confused:

Kanga , wasn't the '' ribbon'' really red ? Hence the term ''tied up in red tape ''.

And yet in some flight classes with certain airlines you can find very sharp, six inch long , serrated steak knives amongst the cutlery .:confused:
I'd have to take your word for that one. I haven't recently had the privilege of travelling up the front!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was surprised to see somebody knitting on the plane
@JillGat, you have been a member of this forum since June 22, 2015 and ask such a question ;)??? This is a question that should not be asked nor replied to :cool:. Can we keep this thread to the subject of what was taken away, please. It will be a lot more entertaining.

I bought a bottle of wine in Santiago for our priest who had given us advice on the Camino. Confiscated at Madrid airport. I thought being sealed it would be okay. Will put in checked luggage this year

Hola

As far as I know all luggage, carry on as well as checked, will be scanned for liquids which will be removed.
You have to buy the wine at the airport to be able to import it into your home country.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hey - I've got the TV going in the background and just noticed that the main character is wearing a silver camino shell around her neck! Connections are everywhere. Off topic.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
See https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/article...icted-items-what-you-cannot-take-board-flight

Personally my belief is that these rules are fairly simple to understand and so easy to comply with. I do not really understand why people seem to waste brain power trying to find loopholes. I am more interested in my own safety than the "cleverness" of naughty people.

Thank you for that link. My little scissors with a half inch blade are definitely within the 6 cm limit. I truly think I lost my first pair to an overzealous inexperienced screener; however, the screeners are in charge and arguing with them is an exercise in futility.

Walking poles and Swiss knife with the luggage, and not as hand bagage. It is as simple as that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought 3 travel size bottles in a clear plastic pouch in a pharmacy. I then decanted some shampoo etc into them. They were under the size each and total and they were conficated.... As they weren't in the original bottles.......

on the other hand I have knowingly brought poles. Dismantled in my pack as hand luggage. And got through security.....

I witnessed a fellow traveller getting drill bits conficated. He didn't know they were there ???!!!!????

i just think its just not an exact science

My little scissors with a half inch blade are definitely within the 6 cm limit.
Or 5 cm for some of us but let's not go there, please ;). I've flown to Bordeaux a few times and decided at the time to leave even the tiniest of Swiss army or Opinel knives at home. I walked through all the shops at Bordeaux airport and discovered that the only thing available for purchase that would cut stuff were these pointed scissors with 3 cm blades. I bought one on at least three separate occasions and have now a collection of 6 such scissors as none were confiscated on the return flights.

Last edited:
Please remember the link I posted above are the rules issued in the UK, other countries may have different rules.

Also , as can be witnessed above, some believe that the rules are for others to obey. Opportunists make use of the stupidity of others. Why not just follow the rules? Is there any reason to consciously circumvent them? Certainly not time if you are on your way to a 30 day hike, surely not cost if you're flying all that distance and can get hold luggage in with the ticket price, and if not then buy the disputed stuff on arrival if that is cheaper. Shampoo etc is as cheap in France /Spain as anywhere else, knives can be bought easily, sticks?, ten a penny. What is the problem? Can you not remember Lockerbie et al.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I walked through local security numerous times with an old lawyers bodkin in my briefcase. I'd forgotten it was there
. View attachment 31647

Just an FYI, the bodkin is known here as as an ice pick. It is used for chopping a large block of ice into smaller chunks. However, from my three-decade career as a federal law enforcement & intelligence officer, I can reliable tell you that it is also known as a trained assassins expedient weapon of choice.

Without getting too graphic, one swift strike through a temple or an ear canal interrupts brain activity, causes a massive cerebral hemorrhage and, if applied via the ear canal, is not instantly recognizable when the police arrive. In fact, this was a favorite up-close and silent weapon of the former Soviet GRU, then KGB, and now FSB in the new Russia.

I do hope you do not try to travel with it... It might set off curious minds.

I hope this helps.

Personally, I have "graduated" from carrying a Swiss Army (SA) type knife on Camino for all the above discussed reasons. I now carry either a Gerber "Dime Travel," or Leatherman "Style PS" multi tool. BOTH were designed to be TSA (US) compliant.

Both tools have a carabiner clip, bottle opener, tiny 3/4 inch (but wicked sharp) scissor, pliers with wire cutter edge, a Phillips screwdriver and a small file. The Leatherman model also has a small tweezer.

The Gerber also has an extra flat blade screwdriver and a longer, wider file with flat blade screwdriver.

NEITHER model has a cutting edge tool or a knife. Under TSA regulations the tiny scissor is legal for air travel.

The Gerber weighs more than the Leatherman, but we are talking grams, less than an ounce in difference here.

I ALWAYS present this tool for inspection when traveling foreign or domestic. I politely tell them the tool has no knife or cutting edge and was advertised as being TSA compliant. In their training those are the key words and phrases they are looking for.

Mostly they are curious as most officers have not seen one before. So, this is a win-win. They learn something and I get to keep my tool.

I have had no problem traveling in Spain, Portugal, France and Belgium with this tool in my pocket. The key is to present it in the small bowl or tray so they can handle it.

This said, I did have one confiscated at New Delhi last year... I guess the Indian airport security folks did not get the memo... Ah, life happens...

I found, over 4 Camino's, that the tools on the mini-multitool were the ones I used the most. Someone else always has a corkscrew. And if a blade was actually needed, someone always had one of those.

Not having to carry the added weight of an all-in SA knife does make sense. Remember, ounces grow into pounds and grams add to kilograms, and faster than will might think.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Once coming out of Madrid with my camera ,I put the camera through the security check.
The security man called me and asked if there were batteries in the camera, to which I replied yes.
He opened the camera ,took out the batteries and threw them into a waste bin. I protested and then in Spanish told him that batteries were very dear in the U.K.
I picked up the batteries and put them in my pocket. He never said a word .

Last edited:
I had cuticle clippers taken away once. Not sure how you could stab somebody to death with those. However I was surprised to see somebody knitting on the plane
Jill on my annual trips to India to volunteer, I always took knitting needles for making head bands. I never did understand why they were allowed, but was grateful that they were. And yes, many of the children got very chilly in Jan and Feb. And this was southern India.!

Just an FYI, the bodkin is known here as as an ice pick. It is used for chopping a large block of ice into smaller chunks. However, from my three-decade career as a federal law enforcement & intelligence officer, I can reliable tell you that it is also known as a trained assassins expedient weapon of choice.

Without getting too graphic, one swift strike through a temple or an ear canal interrupts brain activity, causes a massive cerebral hemorrhage and, if applied via the ear canal, is not instantly recognizable when the police arrive. In fact, this was a favorite up-close and silent weapon of the former Soviet GRU, then KGB, and now FSB in the new Russia.

I do hope you do not try to travel with it... It might set off curious minds.

I hope this helps.
If you look closely at the picture of the bodkin it has an eye in it for drawing thread or cord through an object. So, it's a different tool than an ice pick.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yep, although only in some courts. My wig rarely gets an outing these days. My favourite bit of the gear is the pocket hanging from the back of the gown, into which clients are supposed to put their money. It is all a bit ridiculous but several years ago we had a spate of murders of judges in a court where the wigs and gowns were no longer used. The psychologists advised that there needed to be a way of distancing the person from the office, and it was decided going back to wigs and gowns was a good way to do that. Wigs are not used in our High Court though, presumably the public never get close enough to those judges to be a threat.

All of which is totally unrelated to the camino. I can't even think of a segway!
Or even a segue? ;) Mayby you COULD use a Segway on the Camino but the wheels are pretty small.
I know Shakespeare said "kill all the lawyers" but murdering somebody for not wearing a wig is a bit outre.

London Gatwick Airport not long after 9/11. My younger daughter managed to cut her finger just as we were unloading the car. Scooped up the first aid kit and sorted her out on the transit bus. Put first aid kit in carry on bag.
Gatwick's walls were plastered with signs saying "250,000 sharp items have been confiscated this year".
Got to security.
"Did you pack this bag yourself sir?"
"Yes"
"Anything sharp inside?"
(headslap)
"Scissors in the first aid kit?"
"Yes sir"

As he threw them in the bin, daughter number one said "250,001 now Daddy!"

(And yes, I know you shouldn't have dirty, unsterile scissors in a first aid kit in the first place).

If you look closely at the picture of the bodkin it has an eye in it for drawing thread or cord through an object. So, it's a different tool than an ice pick.

You are, of course correct. But, the eyehole aside, this tool is IDENTICAL to what I refer to as an ice pick. It is a stabbing weapon. It can easily become a serious and deadly weapon.

I rather doubt it would be allowed as a carry-on item for air travel. Or, at least I hope not. Knitting needles give me the chills as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Knitting needles used to be banned (post 9/11) for International travel from Australia. They even made it onto the list of prohibited items. But at some point a few years later were okay!! I don't knit anyway, but Kathar1na, who knows if it'll be a part of my 3rd Camino life changing experience and I'll need to be prepared psychologically for the whole experience.

Without getting too graphic, one swift strike through a temple or an ear canal interrupts brain activity, causes a massive cerebral hemorrhage and, if applied via the ear canal, is not instantly recognizable when the police arrive. In fact, this was a favorite up-close and silent weapon of the former Soviet GRU, then KGB, and now FSB in the new Russia. I do hope you do not try to travel with it... It might set off curious minds. I hope this helps.

A similar comment was made to me about the 35-45mm plastic toothpick supplied with my other eating utensils; and this was at a time when Australian Aviation Authorities insisted that we use plastic knives!!?? (Go figure!)

My daughter gave me a jar of Biscoff spread. It's the consistency of peanut butter but made out of Biscoff cookies. It was confiscated at the Columbus Ohio airport. Not quite sure what hazard it posed.

My daughter gave me a jar of Biscoff spread. It's the consistency of peanut butter but made out of Biscoff cookies. It was confiscated at the Columbus Ohio airport. Not quite sure what hazard it posed.
If it's over 100ml/~3 ounces you can't take it aboard, as it's a paste.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I read that Russians use wooden knitting needles too; cute ones with those lolly babushkas on the other tip. I guess Rosa can breeze thru airport security with hers. That's scary.

Actually....we don't ALL know....
Just joking because you have to be an oldster like me to know that Rosa Krebb was a villain in the second James Bond movie (From Russia with Love) who tried killing 007 with by stabbing him with poison-tipped knitting needles.

Okay, what exactly does a lawyer do with a bodkin, or should I be afraid to ask?

They use them to make a hole through a sheath of papers so they can be tied together into a manila folder. The tape was normally red in colour - hence the term 'Red Tape' for something that requires reading a lot of papers and jumping through a lot of officious rules.

With all there precautions you can still do very serious injury to someone with a pen or pencil but don't tell the Airlines upps upps:rolleyes:

We've generally, since 9-11, put our Swiss Army knifes in a checked bag, but one time we only did carry-on and remembered on the taxi to the airport that we still had a knife with us. Gave it to the taxi driver, which seemed preferable than giving it to security. Last year, when our checked bag was lost (with hiking poles and knives), we were able to replace the lost items easily in Bilbao, Spain. The sporting goods store we found there was a Decathlon-Capital (I wonder if it is part of a chain). I also have seen Swiss Army knives at many Tabac shops and similar in Santiago, which leads me to believe that knives are pretty easy to find along "The Way."
Do checked bags often get lost? I'm a little concerned about this if we can't carry on our 45 liter backpacks. We are flying direct from Dublin to Biarritz on Aer Lingus. Bedsides height of bag, we were planning to bring bed bug spray so weren't sure about getting that onboard in a carry-on.

Off Camino but I caused an international stand-off transiting through Johannesburg Airport some years ago when the security officer took a liking to my travel companion Roo (named for the AFL footballer and not the Oz animal and pictured here with his Sherpa on one of his Himalayan expeditions) - and decided that she was going to confiscate him to take home to her children. The 'discussion' focused on his green and gold bouncy rubber hair with threats to shear him and dismemberment was also threatened. It did all get a bit heated but stubbornness and sanity eventually prevailed and we both made our flight. Only just though... did you know that travelators bounce when you run on them?
Roo_EverestABC.jpg
Otherwise there is the ongoing challenge of getting a trip's supply of Vegemite in a foil lined tube through Customs. On one memorable occasion fellow Aussies passed around Saos and partook of this national snack to prove that it was indeed foodstuff.

Hola

As far as I know all luggage, carry on as well as checked, will be scanned for liquids which will be removed.
You have to buy the wine at the airport to be able to import it into your home country.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

I have not tried this from Spain yet, but I have carried wine home to the US from Italy at least 6-7 times in my checked baggage with no security issues. This was purchased at wineries not the airport. I did have a bottle breakage issue the first time - I mourned the reserve Chianti more than my ruined clothes. Now one can buy special bubble wrap packing sleeves for wine, which contain a liquid absorbing powder in case of spills. They are fantastic. I also successfully improvised another solution of wrapping the bottle in a fresh puppy pee pee pad, placing it in a 2 gallon ziplock bag and burrowing this into the clothes in my checked bag.

We have always bring home spirits and other local stuff in our checked bag , we check one home on most trips from Europe and further for that reason.
But never in glass , you get a bottle or two of water con gas , there are always stronger ( there are some great blue ones available now ) then drink water ,decant spirit's , seal the lids with tape medical is best, wrap up in dirthy clothes or the nice T-shirts you buy for presents and check the bag in, I have never had a spillage of s problem.
Irish Whiskey and Gin is so much cheeper everywhere then it is in Ireland , not that I drink much reallllly.

Thank you so much @t2andreo! I am adding this to my list of must-haves. (Or maybe my husband's list so I don't have to carry it! ;)
Personally, I have "graduated" from carrying a Swiss Army (SA) type knife on Camino for all the above discussed reasons. I now carry either a Gerber "Dime Travel," or Leatherman "Style PS" multi tool. BOTH were designed to be TSA (US) compliant.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

This issue gave me the most headaches before setting out.. I had bought special and carefully chose equipment and my hiking poles were absolutely essential. But the many, many nightmare stories about this gave me a fright, until I read I could replace them in France if it were coming to that. I ended up deciding on what was most important. My epic lightweight sleeping bag and clothes I could not easily replace. This all went into a carry on bag which I could later use on the Way strapped to my backpack and use as a ground cover to sit on. This stayed with me on the plane, it had multiple use. My hiking poles, telescopic ones, which I could replace in France in case they were lost, fitted in my backpack, thoroughly wrapped in its rain cover, it went as checked in luggage.
I was able to put my swiss army knife in as well and some other things I could bring as checked luggage but not allowed to carry on board. btw, most airports do have backpack wrapping service available. I just made sure all straps were tucked in and secure, no loose ends, multiple ID attached and inside the backpack, just in case. Everything arrived safe and at the same time as I did. No difficulty with customs whatsoever, except for my return flight from Porto. I was quizzed repeatedly by a very puzzled duty inspector as to why i was traveling with just 2 pieces of luggage. :)

As far as I know all luggage, carry on as well as checked, will be scanned for liquids which will be removed. You have to buy the wine at the airport to be able to import it into your home country.
No, this isn't the case. If you buy wine at airport duty free, you can actually carry it onto the plane. Otherwise it must be checked in your luggage. The quantity might vary with the airline (I notice that Air Canada says 2 L) but the Canadian air travel security agency (CATSA) says the following:

"You can pack alcoholic beverages (including homemade wine and beer, and commercial products) in your checked baggage if:
  • The percentage of alcohol by volume is 70% (140 proof) or less.
  • The quantity does not exceed five litres per person for alcoholic beverages between 24% and 70% alcohol by volume.
Alcoholic beverages containing 24% alcohol or less are not subject to limitations on quantities."

Travelling in general, I bought a corkscrew that I thought TSA would be ok with, but no. It seems it depends on the length of the small knife that is usually included. Some TSA officials say the blade length is ok if is is equal to or shorter than half the width of the palm of your hand. Others refused to accept it if it had a knife at all.

So, I bought another cheap corkscrew in Dublin and broke the knife off completely. After that, it went through TSA at Stanstead, UK, Santiago, Spain, St. Johns, NL, Canada and no issues at all. I still have the corkscrew.

And yes, a corkscrew is an essential item on the Camino.

At my little local airport, for the flight to Johannesburg, my nail clippers were confiscated. Yeah, I know, unbelievable. How they thought (do they think?) I could kill someone on the little 20-seater plane with nail clippers is beyond me.

Returning home, the umbrella I bought on the camino got through Santiago security and through Madrid security, but in Johannesburg I had to check it in (all on its lonesome) into the hold of the same little 20-seater plane.

You guys are so lucky you don’t live in Africa :rolleyes:

A similar comment was made to me about the 35-45mm plastic toothpick supplied with my other eating utensils; and this was at a time when Australian Aviation Authorities insisted that we use plastic knives!!?? (Go figure!)

Had a few home exchanges many years ago .
Round The World Airfare
Travelled through the USA with a set of Allen Keys purchased in Vancouver .
Oh for those 5 internal flights once donated by Qantas .
No problems in London
None in any Scandinavian terminal
Why Edinburgh???
I could undo the screws around the windows i was told.

Maybe those thrifty Scots own a second hand hardware store ;)

A needle from one of the very small hotel sewing kits. The irony was security (Siam Reap) missed two other sewing kits in my pack. They got the best!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Coming home last fall we went via Dublin to NYC, staying in Swords. That morning we toured the castle then walked to the airport passing a Lidl's on the way. Went in to get chocolate and biscuits, and our favorite ginger rhubarb jam. Normally when I bring it back from Ireland it's in my checked baggage, but we had checked my husband's pack through from Santiago, so only had day packs. Very sadly two jars were confiscticated. I told the security guy to please take them and enjoy! It never crossed our minds as we had brought back so many jars over the years, but always in checked luggage. I sadly think about that most breakfasts whilst eating toast.

On TSA - "safe" Multi-Tools: Just bear in mind that generally, airport security in other countries' tend to be stricter* than the US/TSA; so don't expect to fly back with your tools carried on board the flight.

*Usually due to ignorance; although over zealousness or personal interest in the gadgets had been noted.
I was once told by security at pre-departure to check in a stainless steel card multi-tool as they are "not allowed" in the cabin. The officer in charge of those things (guns, knives, etc) said it was ridiculous because it was not banned. He checked it in anyway, for expediency, as his building was 800 meters from the pre-departure area.

I had a near empty tube of toothpaste confiscated because it had 125 ml printed on the outside while no problem with several oranges which could have been filled with toothpaste.

Cheese. They took my cheese in Madrid and were throwing it in the trash. My son had bought the cheese in Santiago. I had checked on line and found that it was not allowed to carry soft cheese (like brie), but harder cheeses were allowed. I found out that my cheeses were not "hard enough". :( So we rescued them from the trash and put them back in my pack which I then checked.

Also, my son was pulled out of line in Toronto, and asked about a knife. He shook his head saying he had no knife. He was asked to unpack everything, and at the bottom of his pack he found a folding knife that was covered in chocolate that had melted and then dried. "That's were that went!" was his exclamation. We never saw the knife or the chocolate again.

I had a near empty tube of toothpaste confiscated because it had 125 ml printed on the outside while no problem with several oranges which could have been filled with toothpaste.
That's right. How much product is left in a bottle or tube is immaterial, it's the actual size of the bottle or tube that matters.

Yet again I am going to be selfish about this thread. The RULES were brought in to protect ME from idiots. Full stop. I remember the horror of Lockerbie and have no wish whatsoever to be in a plane that is brought down in similar circumstances. The consequences for the families involved in the plane and those whose lives were destroyed on the ground is still in my mind. Do not ask/expect security to be anything other than over cautious. Use your "cleverness" to better ends. Follow their rules and if they are a bit over cautious/officious then smile, you will not know the levels of security they are operating to on that day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
The airport officials told me I should have put it with my checked luggage. They even suggested I go back and check it in separately but we were running late

Hi Kanga, I'm back! :)
Last year I had a flimsy clear serrated knife from a fast food restaurant confiscated at the airport. That's why I had started the thread two weeks ago asking about "Sporks?"

Not my story. The local airport in my small 25k town was shut down. Sirens wailed ... a full on emergency. A few days after the furor settled down it was reported in the news. Someone had converted a de-militarized hand grenade into a cigarette lighter. So its just a lighter shaped like a grenade. It was in his checked baggage ... but at this small airport the same people that check the carry on bags also check the baggage.

The airport was shut down for several hours.

I wasn't there. I don't know the exact details of what happened. But I think there was a slight over-reaction that could have been solved rather easily.

It makes me wonder what would have happened if it were a real grenade, even with pin safely in place, ... they obviously got as far in their planning as to check everyone to make sure they aren't carrying weapons and explosives, (and other arguably less lethal equipment) but hadn't got to the bit about what to do if there was something that might actually be dangerous.

You'd think, for instance, that there would be a place to put a piece of offending baggage so as to reduce potential injury to others and to reduce the inconvenience of travel interruption to other travelers in the face of a potential false alarm.

I already have a less than favorable opinion about the overweening security in our airports ... even as my strategy is to hold my tongue and avoid giving excuse ... The incident at our local airport doesn't do anything to make me feel more safe in my travels.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But I think there was a slight over-reaction that could have been solved rather easily.
What is the over-reaction? It appears to have been treated as a realistic replica of an explosive device, which is not permitted to be carried on an aircraft. Until it could be proven to be a replica, eg by someone trained in bomb disposal, the closure of the airport to quarantine the item appears to me to be entirely justified. And before you suggest they might have asked the person whose baggage it was, I suspect they would have been the last person they wanted near the item until they were certain about its nature.

If you think the level of security is 'overweening', perhaps you should have the occasional read of the TSA blog at blog.tsa.gov. For the week at the end of Jan this year, the firearm stats alone were
TSA discovered 56 firearms last week in carry-on bags around the nation. Of the 56 firearms discovered, 51 were loaded and 19 had a round chambered.
If that is what members of the travelling public are trying to bring on board, I am glad that there is a high level of security!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had them take my deodorant this year.
Also, they wanted to discard a brand new $10 fragrance free hand lotion - both within the size limit.
I had to take the lotion out to the lobby, squirt half into the garbage and go back through the line.
They wouldn't allow me to perform that act there.

This year also, even though I was in the Pre-Check line, TSA stopped me on three different flights to open and search me and my suitcase.
I'm a 64 year old grandmother, not a terrorist.
It must have something weird showing up in the x-rays.

Sometimes I think it's a matter of giving a few people a little too much power.

What is the over-reaction? It appears to have been treated as a realistic replica of an explosive device, which is not permitted to be carried on an aircraft. Until it could be proven to be a replica, eg by someone trained in bomb disposal, the closure of the airport to quarantine the item appears to me to be entirely justified. And before you suggest they might have asked the person whose baggage it was, I suspect they would have been the last person they wanted near the item until they were certain about its nature.

If you think the level of security is 'overweening', perhaps you should have the occasional read of the TSA blog at blog.tsa.gov. For the week at the end of Jan this year, the firearm stats alone were If that is what members of the travelling public are trying to bring on board, I am glad that there is a high level of security!

Ach ... well ... the issue about security on planes is about people with a dangerous mind. Clearly, people who are trying to carry 56 firearms through security don't have a dangerous mind. 'Stupid' is a word that is more fitting.

Clearly anyone with enough sense to find a grenade in someone's luggage should also have enough sense to understand the blast radius of a grenade isn't airport sized.

It would be simple to take a piece of baggage with a replica hand grenade to a pit designed to control a blast so force goes somewhere 'safe'. The problem is no such 'pit' or any other measures to deal with 'dangerous' substances exists. The oversized toothpaste tube goes into the garbage bin ... clearly not a smart idea if you seriously consider it a threat.

There was serious discussion on making it a criminal charge for attempting to carry a liter of water through security.

And since none of the measures do anything to prevent a person with a dangerous mind from boarding ... its 'overweening' security where old ladies are removed from their knitting needles and pilgrims suffer angst about whether the hiking poles will be allowed through.

My personal pet peeve is having to dig around in my pockets to find my boarding pass passport etalia over and over again so I can show it to every tom dick and harry with an excuse before I even get to the part where I actually board a plane. Sure, check it ONCE before I go through a security check ... check it ONCE when I board the plane ... but instead we make the process of getting from the bus to the plane a nuisance that makes the travel experience miserable. I'm busy enough trying to figure out how to get to where my plane is (or should be if it actually was going to depart on time) ... the yellow arrows in airports don't indicate the way ... except to where the sewerage is flowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid people can be conned into being dangerous! Most terrorists are not recognizable until they shoot/fire/explode. Grannies have been suicide bombers!
Do you actually know why the size of liquids/gels is important?
Are you serious about an innocent person carrying what they suspect to be explosives in a an unknown condition to a place of safety? Really? Don't know which airports you use but dangerous people have been stopped form entering planes, that is a fact. (Just google it). Sadly it still happens in countries where security is either lax or bribed. Also the levels of security probably deters even more from trying.
Oh and I agree about your documentation peeve.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It would be simple to take a piece of baggage with a replica hand grenade to a pit designed to control a blast so force goes somewhere 'safe'. The problem is no such 'pit' or any other measures to deal with 'dangerous' substances exists.
Probably no such pit exists because the last thing that authorities want someone to do is to move any suspected explosive device from the point where it has been detected without the specialist knowledge and tools needed. I know that in my workplace, the response is to evacuate the immediate are and leave the suspicious object exactly where it was discovered, and wait for the local bomb response team. Even they won't move an object until they have determined that it is unlikely to detonate if it is handled if it does contain explosives.

You seem to be making much of the fact, that authorities would only have been able to confirm after the device was thoroughly examined, that this device was inert. At the point of detection I suspect that it looked very much like a grenade, and in the circumstances where one grenade has been found it would be reasonable to address the risk that there might be other devices. Even it a devices was inert, it is also possible that it was a decoy, and a search still conducted for other devices. In a small terminal, evacuating the terminal and conducting a proper search appear to be sensible approaches designed to protect life and property. I don't see how your approach does enough to address the safety of all the people who might be involved.

Probably no such pit exists because the last thing that authorities want someone to do is to move any suspected explosive device from the point where it has been detected without the specialist knowledge and tools needed. I know that in my workplace, the response is to evacuate the immediate are and leave the suspicious object exactly where it was discovered, and wait for the local bomb response team. Even they won't move an object until they have determined that it is unlikely to detonate if it is handled if it does contain explosives.

You seem to be making much of the fact, that authorities would only have been able to confirm after the device was thoroughly examined, that this device was inert. At the point of detection I suspect that it looked very much like a grenade, and in the circumstances where one grenade has been found it would be reasonable to address the risk that there might be other devices. Even it a devices was inert, it is also possible that it was a decoy, and a search still conducted for other devices. In a small terminal, evacuating the terminal and conducting a proper search appear to be sensible approaches designed to protect life and property. I don't see how your approach does enough to address the safety of all the people who might be involved.

Yeah it makes sense to leave an explosive device where it is found. However, that's not quite the same situation if the bag containing the explosive device has already been moved around vigorously via the cargo system and cargo handlers ... its not then going to matter if you pick it up the entire bag and throw it into a safer place.

The authorities merely needed to contact the owner of the bag ... who would have been able to 'defuse' the situation as it unfolded.

"In a small terminal, evacuating the terminal and conducting a proper search appear to be sensible approaches designed to protect life and property."

If there was anyone getting serious about security that lighter (aka inert grenade) would never have gotten near the terminal building ... if it ever really was a threat. See how Israel does it. There is nothing sensible about the 'security' in our airports.

See Orville dam. See how they had to disconnect the power house to let the emergency spillway operate ... and can't use the generators to spill more water. That's the same dumb approach as our airports ... people not thinking it through.

As it is now ... If I were so inclined (and I am not) I could buy a box of demilitarized grenades and have a heap of 'fun' seeing what happens when one is passed through baggage security and cause airports to shut down. There is nothing illegal about transporting a lump of metal in your luggage ... no matter how it is shaped.

What has all this CRAP got to do with walking the camino ?

Sleeper staff in airports , maybe 8-10 years , do you job now lad.
Taxis arrives with a load of bad lads and they walk into foyer , just like train stations.
We will never stop it,

Let staff at the airport do what ever they wish and be bloody happy you landed.
If you want a debate on this maybe my family who purchased homes in the Macedon Ranges can elaborate but unfortunately the Estate Agents who sold them the properties can't as they are somewhere in the ocean .....and maybe with Gods help they will be found.

Last edited:
Yeah it makes sense to leave an explosive device where it is found. However, that's not quite the same situation if the bag containing the explosive device has already been moved around vigorously via the cargo system and cargo handlers ... its not then going to matter if you pick it up the entire bag and throw it into a safer place.

The authorities merely needed to contact the owner of the bag ... who would have been able to 'defuse' the situation as it unfolded.

"In a small terminal, evacuating the terminal and conducting a proper search appear to be sensible approaches designed to protect life and property."

If there was anyone getting serious about security that lighter (aka inert grenade) would never have gotten near the terminal building ... if it ever really was a threat. See how Israel does it. There is nothing sensible about the 'security' in our airports.

See Orville dam. See how they had to disconnect the power house to let the emergency spillway operate ... and can't use the generators to spill more water. That's the same dumb approach as our airports ... people not thinking it through.

As it is now ... If I were so inclined (and I am not) I could buy a box of demilitarized grenades and have a heap of 'fun' seeing what happens when one is passed through baggage security and cause airports to shut down. There is nothing illegal about transporting a lump of metal in your luggage ... no matter how it is shaped.
There are some very strange ideas in here, and suffice to say I disagree with you, as, it would appear, does the TSA so far as flights originating in the US are concerned.

"Take your brain and leave your [fake] grenade at home" is a slogan I just read on a website on aviation security. Easy to memorise.

The reason why toy guns, inert or replica grenades and half-empty 125 ml cosmetics tubes will be confiscated or, if the former, are not even allowed as checked in luggage in numerous airports around the world is easy to understand: it's not because they are dangerous. It's because their presence in luggage interferes with the smooth running of the airport, holds up traffic of passengers and goods, costs time that is better used for the detection of serious danger.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-leave-your.html

Well before the internet people wrote pages and pages and pages.
All were within a file
You could not staple them as it was tooooo thick
You pierced a whole in top left corner and put pink ribbon through to hold.
Any archive in an old library will show.

Now good for tooth pick o_O or to remove staples.
Can also be a very dangerous instrument in the wrong hands..

€46,-
I had a carabiner confiscated in CDG. In response to my confused face, the security guy slide it over his hand and showed it could be used like brass knuckles. I never would have thought of that in a million years, but I suppose he had a point.

I've also had carabiners taken off checked bags (???), so now I put them inside my checked bag.

"Take your brain and leave your [fake] grenade at home" is a slogan I just read on a website on aviation security. Easy to memorise.

The reason why toy guns, inert or replica grenades and half-empty 125 ml cosmetics tubes will be confiscated or, if the former, are not even allowed as checked in luggage in numerous airports around the world is easy to understand: it's not because they are dangerous. It's because their presence in luggage interferes with the smooth running of the airport, holds up traffic of passengers and goods, costs time that is better used for the detection of serious danger.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/09/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-leave-your.html

Yeah, so the de-militarized lumps of metal are confiscated ... but not illegal.

I suppose this means we can stop the whinging about confiscated trekking poles too. Instead of a grenade full of explosives I could fill the pole with it.

Yeah, so the de-militarized lumps of metal are confiscated ... but not illegal.

I suppose this means we can stop the whinging about confiscated trekking poles too. Instead of a grenade full of explosives I could fill the pole with it.
Are you being deliberately provocative for fun?
If so then I believe that your humour is misplaced.

If not then I will pray for you on my Camino.

Are you being deliberately provocative for fun?
If so then I believe that your humour is misplaced.

If not then I will pray for you on my Camino.

No.

There is nothing humorous about the so called 'security' in our airports.

If I were of a serious mind to cause problems ... it would be too easy.

The existing 'security' in our airports is a farce and constitutes nothing more than a nuisance.

The only dangerous thing to allow on a plane is a dangerous mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back