• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conflict of information on Albergues - Wise Pilgrim/Gronze/Village to village guide

KerryW

KerryW
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Norte/Prim 2019
I'm wondering whether anyone can confirm some information for us - Is Convento de San Jose, Zumaia open late May/early June, or not. Gronze says yes - Wise Pilgrim no - Village to Village says yes. Putting final plans in place for our Camino del Norte from May 25, so wondering :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm wondering whether anyone can confirm some information for us - Is Convento de San Jose, Zumaia open late May/early June, or not. Gronze says yes - Wise Pilgrim no - Village to Village says yes. Putting final plans in place for our Camino del Norte from May 25, so wondering :)

When you get there, go to the Turismo and ask. They will have the most up to date info. (We hit Zumaia at about breakfast time--0900--and enjoyed tortilla de patata and cafe leche.) In 2017 when we started this route, we stayed in Zarautz (two towns back) at a pension referred by the helpful fellow at the Turismo there. In 2018 when we completed it, we stayed in Getaria (one town back) and after my morning foot taping we probably hit the trail about 0640.

Most of the Turismo folks are happy to tell you of places to stay. The only one we encountered that wanted to actually make the (same day) reservation for you was in San Sebastian. The others just gave a list and map.

I see by your self description on the left that you're familiar with a lot of this stuff, so my remarks are probably more useful to lurkers who are newer to it.

Semi off topic comment: I know it's the fashion in some circles to make reservations for lots of nights even before arriving on the scene. As General McArthur is supposed to have said, "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy." In this case, the "enemy" would be the weather, how the body reacts to the trail, etc. etc. We personally only reserve for Santiago, where there can be a crush on any weekend, or if it turns out we're hitting a place on a "hot" date.

Trust is part of this Camino game, in our opinion. St. James looks after his visitors.

If you get there and discover that the carefully planned schedule isn't working out as expected, please, please notify the places that are not going to see you after you had reserved a spot. /semi off topic comments.

Buen camino

When you get there, go to the Turismo and ask. They will have the most up to date info. (We hit Zumaia at about breakfast time--0900--and enjoyed tortilla de patata and cafe leche.) In 2017 when we started this route, we stayed in Zarautz (two towns back) at a pension referred by the helpful fellow at the Turismo there. In 2018 when we completed it, we stayed in Getaria (one town back) and after my morning foot taping we probably hit the trail about 0640.

Most of the Turismo folks are happy to tell you of places to stay. The only one we encountered that wanted to actually make the (same day) reservation for you was in San Sebastian. The others just gave a list and map.

I see by your self description on the left that you're familiar with a lot of this stuff, so my remarks are probably more useful to lurkers who are newer to it.

Semi off topic comment: I know it's the fashion in some circles to make reservations for lots of nights even before arriving on the scene. As General McArthur is supposed to have said, "no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy." In this case, the "enemy" would be the weather, how the body reacts to the trail, etc. etc. We personally only reserve for Santiago, where there can be a crush on any weekend, or if it turns out we're hitting a place on a "hot" date.

Trust is part of this Camino game, in our opinion. St. James looks after his visitors.

If you get there and discover that the carefully planned schedule isn't working out as expected, please, please notify the places that are not going to see you after you had reserved a spot. /semi off topic comments.

Buen camino
thank you! We actually like to 'wander and not worry about booking' - but it's helpful to have an idea as to when you need to be at a place to aim to get a bed :) (Such a joy not having to book the whole camino!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you already know it is a day to day proposition. I walked the Norte when it was, I am sure less crowded. In the fall. If you do not already just get a new SIM card from Movistar or Orange. I happen to like Orange because it gives you alot more data (10 Gigis) than Movistar does. But only 80 minutes of calling for a month. I do not call too often but I use the data for calling my wife and kids on Wattsapp. It is only 20 Euros and it is good for a month and then if you are still walking you can get another month. If someone knows better than me, please correct me but I doubt you will need to call any later then the evening before or the morning of if you want to make a reservation. But I am sure pilgrims who have walked during your time frame would know better.

It was not open when I passed there. I stayed at casa rural Santa Klara on the hill above the town on the camino wire reservations . Was told by locals the albergue open in the summer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back