• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confused about clothes for April/May on Camino Frances

Africa

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Camino de Santiago from SJPD to Muxia 2018
Firstly, I want to thank Ivar for this amazing forum. The information on here has been invaluable to assist me in preparing for the walk commencing April 6 this year.

Reading many posts regarding packing lists, weights etc, I am still confused as to what clothing I need to pack. From previous post, images on the forum and YouTube videos, I noted there is a high possibility of snow along the way. Yet the packing lists for Spring don't really allow for this.

I would really appreciate some advise on clothing required for starting the walk on April 6.

My clothing at this stage (not including socks and underwear) is:

2 short sleeve Icebreaker Cool-Lite Sphere SS t-shirts
1 long sleeve driMOTION Women's Long Sleeve Active T-Shirt
1 long sleeve light weight marino hoodie
I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
2 pair convertible light weight hiking pants
1 pair wool gloves (and liner gloves)
1 long sleeve shirt (for layering)
1 gortex jacket
1 pair light weight rain pants
1 light weight sea to summit poncho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear fellow Aussie

I think it is very unlikely that you will see snow on the way in April/May, as it will be going towards summer in Europe. There is a lot of snow now, but by April it should be gone. I walked the camino on the same time of the year in 2016 and actually had to deal with my husband having a heat stroke in the middle of the way! =o_O= Average temperatures we got was around 22 C almost everyday. It was colder in the morning, but around 13C.

Maybe you may have too many long sleeved items... you have a merino hoodie, a long sleeve T-shirt, a long sleeved shirt, a fleece and a gortex jacket. Maybe leave the layering shirt and the hoodie behind? And also the gloves with liners. It wont be that cold, only take them if you indeed feel freezing at 10-15 degrees.

Of course each person has an ideal temperature and it will depend on where you start, but for us we only took 3 short sleeved tshirts and a jacket as tops. It was more than enough.

leave these and take a very light weight long sleeve t-shirt. a fishing shirt will protect from the sun & add a layer for warmth.
I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
add one pair of leggings for cold weather to wear under hiking pants
leave this one. 3 shirts + hoodie + jacket + rain coat = you will be warm.
1 gortex jacket
1 pair light weight rain pants (or use these for warmth and don't take leggings)
I took one of these ponchos, ok for light rain coming straight down, got soaking wet and frozen with this on in a bad rain/wind storm.

Water proof socks will keep your feet warm and dry. (wear over the socks you bring)
What will you sleep in?
How many socks? What kind work for you?
How much do the clothes weigh? How much weight do you want to carry?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear fellow Aussie

I think it is very unlikely that you will see snow on the way in April/May, as it will be going towards summer in Europe. There is a lot of snow now, but by April it should be gone. I walked the camino on the same time of the year in 2016 and actually had to deal with my husband having a heat stroke in the middle of the way! =o_O= Average temperatures we got was around 22 C almost everyday. It was colder in the morning, but around 13C.

Maybe you may have too many long sleeved items... you have a merino hoodie, a long sleeve T-shirt, a long sleeved shirt, a fleece and a gortex jacket. Maybe leave the layering shirt and the hoodie behind? And also the gloves with liners. It wont be that cold, only take them if you indeed feel freezing at 10-15 degrees.

Of course each person has an ideal temperature and it will depend on where you start, but for us we only took 3 short sleeved tshirts and a jacket as tops. It was more than enough.

Thank you. Your advice does help. I heat up quickly when walking so, you're right I won't need too many long sleeve tops.

leave these and take a very light weight long sleeve t-shirt. a fishing shirt will protect from the sun & add a layer for warmth.

I light weight fleece

1 buff

1 wide brim hat

add one pair of leggings for cold weather to wear under hiking pants

leave this one. 3 shirts + hoodie + jacket + rain coat = you will be warm.

1 gortex jacket

1 pair light weight rain pants (or use these for warmth and don't take leggings)

I took one of these ponchos, ok for light rain coming straight down, got soaking wet and frozen with this on in a bad rain/wind storm.

Water proof socks will keep your feet warm and dry. (wear over the socks you bring)

What will you sleep in?

How many socks? What kind work for you?

How much do the clothes weigh? How much weight do you want to carry?

I am bringing a very light weight sleeping bag and silk liner. I have three pairs of wool socks plus liners and plan on carrying no more than 7kg, which means I'm need to cut things out. The above list does not include toiletries, fist aid etc. I was more concerned about the clothing at this stage. Anything else will all depend on total weight.

Just a few more things to think about:

- Are you used to walking with sock liners?
- how long is your poncho? does it cover the legs? couldn't it work as a jacket?
- I know silk liners are super light, but you may not need both the sleeping bag and the liner. If you are walking a long camino and staying mostly in albergues, maybe take only the bag. If you are doing a shorter route, or stopping in little hotels/inns, the liner should be enough.

As a matter of comparison, this was my packing list for clothes, in April/May 2016:

- 3 short sleeved Tshirts
- 1 convertible pants
- leggings
- shorts
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 underwear
- 1 sports bra
- 1 hat
- 1 lightweight puffy jacket
- 1 hairband (for ponytail)
- 1 plastic poncho (the cheap/light transparent one you wear in rainy soccer games)
- 1 pair of flipflops

added on second camino:
- 1 buff

One of the shirts and the shorts were mostly used as pajamas. The leggings could be layered with the pants for extra warmth, or used by themselves (or with shorts) when my pants did not dry in time. I would layer t-shirts if it got too cold (which happened rarely) and had to roll my towel around my neck a few times as I did not have a buff the first time.

My poncho was fragile, but I was quite careful using it. If it ripped, my plan was just buy a new one in the next city - there are stores everywhere in Spain. The risk was worth, considering the weight.

It may seem a short list, but I'm small and carrying more than 6kg was a no-no for me. So I kept my pack at 5.5kg and everything went fine.

Again, that was what worked for me - 35yo, 1,58m, 55kg, healthy but not fit person. Everyone is different :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just a few more things to think about:

- Are you used to walking with sock liners?
- how long is your poncho? does it cover the legs? couldn't it work as a jacket?
- I know silk liners are super light, but you may not need both the sleeping bag and the liner. If you are walking a long camino and staying mostly in albergues, maybe take only the bag. If you are doing a shorter route, or stopping in little hotels/inns, the liner should be enough.

As a matter of comparison, this was my packing list for clothes, in April/May 2016:

- 3 short sleeved Tshirts
- 1 convertible pants
- leggings
- shorts
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 underwear
- 1 sports bra
- 1 hat
- 1 lightweight puffy jacket
- 1 hairband (for ponytail)
- 1 plastic poncho (the cheap/light transparent one you wear in rainy soccer games)
- 1 pair of flipflops

added on second camino:
- 1 buff

One of the shirts and the shorts were mostly used as pajamas. The leggings could be layered with the pants for extra warmth, or used by themselves (or with shorts) when my pants did not dry in time. I would layer t-shirts if it got too cold (which happened rarely) and had to roll my towel around my neck a few times as I did not have a buff the first time.

My poncho was fragile, but I was quite careful using it. If it ripped, my plan was just buy a new one in the next city - there are stores everywhere in Spain. The risk was worth, considering the weight.

It may seem a short list, but I'm small and carrying more than 6kg was a no-no for me. So I kept my pack at 5.5kg and everything went fine.

Again, that was what worked for me - 35yo, 1,58m, 55kg, healthy but not fit person. Everyone is different :)

Thanks Anamya

Yes, I always walk with sock liners. I have done numerous long walks (around 27-30km) hikes and Kokoda. I will definitely rethink what I have and what I will take. I am 59yo, 1.62m, 65kg, healthy and fit for my age :)

I have done numerous long walks (around 27-30km) hikes and Kokoda.

Kokoda is still in my list! And I have to say I love you profile photo, your outfit looks exactly like one of my camino ones! :D

Attachments

• palas.jpg
    palas.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 71
Kokoda is still in my list! And I have to say I love you profile photo, your outfit looks exactly like one of my camino ones! :D
Thanks. That was taken in South Africa in 2015 at Springbok. I loved Kokoda. Trained hard beforehand and really enjoyed it. Still difficult but if you train and prepare it's not so bad. I highly recommend doing it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On 26 and 27 April 2017 I encountered heavy snow on the first and second stages of the Camino CF but none after that. However, it was quite cold on many mornings, say 3-5 C and one morning it was -2 C so do be sure you have enough insulation, not just for walking but also for the evenings in the villages. I don't know how warm the hoodie and the lightweight fleece are but perhaps together they will be enough. :)

Hi. It is inevitable that the month of April is still a bit 'uncertain for the temperatures of the climate and a little worries me because I will also do the French way in that month. I think that with the advice here of the pilgrims and a bit of head you can have a backpack with a reasonable weight.
Good preparation for all of you.:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be prepared to dress in layers and for warm or really cold weather. It can snow in April and occasionally even into early May although it does not last long. Layers are better insulation and can be shed if you get hot. We for example take 2 lighter fleeces rather than one heavier one. Rain pants also are useful as a warmth layer and easily removed - just make sure that they go on and off without having to remove your boots :)

Firstly, I want to thank Ivar for this amazing forum. The information on here has been invaluable to assist me in preparing for the walk commencing April 6 this year.

Reading many posts regarding packing lists, weights etc, I am still confused as to what clothing I need to pack. From previous post, images on the forum and YouTube videos, I noted there is a high possibility of snow along the way. Yet the packing lists for Spring don't really allow for this.

I would really appreciate some advise on clothing required for starting the walk on April 6.

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket
Hi Africa...I'm envious you've walked the Kokoda!
It will be chilly in the morning but soon warms up, from my experience, as I walked the CF from 26th April 2016. I think you could leave out the long sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve hoodie, the rain pants, liner gloves. I sent things back as I packed a little too much!
I found that a super lite T- shirt, long sleeve (Kathmandu) shirt, polar fleece and usually (so I wouldn't have to carry it!) my gortex raincoat warm in the morning. Easy removing layers (usually the polar fleece as the morning warmed up). I wore Bamboo leggings and a 110g Macpac skirt and as the weather warmed, off came the leggings. If the skirt got wet, it dried quickly and on went the evening attire after the day was done.
I'm off to del Norte in May and I've really trimmed down what I'm taking even to the point of using my leggings and merino T-shirt to sleep in which will double as my "evening wear" with a reversible skirt (Kathmandu again). If I get cold at night, on go the socks and light polar fleece. My sleeping bag is a Thermolite liner and a silk liner (same as on the CF), however might change that to a sleeping bag!
With everything packed, including backpack, toiletries, electronics & water, I've got my little bundle down to 8.5 Kg. Soooo happy.
This is only my opinion and I'm sure you'll be happy with your "little bundle". Have a wonderful Camino

We are all different so here is yet another opinion. You’ll have worked out long before now that is no definitive answer. ;) You just have to work out what suits you. :)
I walked beginning April from SJPdP last year. Did encounter snow which was never a problem but the icy rain and wind I also encountered was jolly cold. I was thankful I had packed rain pants as well as a very reliable rain jacket. Wore gloves every morning and occasionally all day but not two layers of gloves. If especially cold I put my hands in my pockets or if using poles pulled the arms of rain jacket down as far as possible over my hands. I always walk with a set of ultralite silk thermals. Didn’t need them during the day because used my rain pants and jacket as an additional layer sometimes even when it wasn’t raining. I did put the thermals on a few times to go to bed in really chilly albergues. My walking gear was pretty much what I would take in warm weather ie. long lightweight trousers and long sleeved lightweight shirt. Two of each. I always travel with an ultralight hooded fleece. I took two pairs of woollen walking socks and was thankful for them. Another pair of lightweight walking socks. Also took one pair of waterproof socks and used them on days of rain but they are expensive and I don’t believe they are essential. I started out with a down vest but left it fairly early on in the lost/donated gear box of an albergue. I always walk with silk sheet and ultralite sleeping bag. Plus something eg. a wide and long silk scarf, to cover the pillow as some of them can be a touch well used. I bought a really lightweight buff along the way and did use it. Loved it as a face cover in wind and rain.
My pack weighed less than 5 kg without water and food.
Wishing you a very buen camino.
Edit: This post makes it sound like it was always cold which is far from correct. The night and early mornings were always cold all the way to Santiago but the days were often warm and sometimes even too warm. Early on the days were mostly cold but then it was only at high altitudes or in bad weather that the days were cold.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camino Francais, May 4-June 8 last year the weather was never cool enough for a jacket while walking because you would heat up so quickly. Only while sitting around bars in the afternoon did I wear a jacket. I did need rain gear for 4 complete days, though. A few times I had to wear a long sleeved shirt while walking but mostly just wore a t-shirt and short-sleeved fishing shirt. One of the lessons of the Camino is how little one really needs to be comfortable! Travelling light is more than just a metaphor.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked April 20-May 20, '16. I think you're overpacking. One change of clothes to walk in and another to change into at days end while washing what you wore. Stay light. Long and short sleeves poly shirt undershirt. Long and short sleeved pocketed nylon shirt. I left the long one in the donativo half way. Two pair of zip off nylon pants, though I only zipped off once. Thin fleece for cool evenings or to sleep in. I only brought a sleeping bag liner, tho I would probably try and bring a light sleeping bag next time, only if I can stay underweight. My pack was 17 pounds and should have been 14. Bought gloves from a little store after Roncesvailles and wore them every morning all the way to Santiago. Wore trail runners daytime and Keen sandals at days end. 2 pair toe socks and two pair wool. I packed too much first aid. Dumped a bunch in Burgos. Wind breaker jacket and Altus poncho. Buen Camino!

Focus on the layering. I carry a similar number of layers, but they are mostly extremely light/thin except for 1 merino zip jacket and the down vest. I hate to be cold, and have the following layers for walking, removing them as necessary, from the outer layer at the top of the list. On a cold morning I could wear them all.
  1. Rain jacket - As well as for rain, serves as wind break or for insulation on cold days
  2. Medium weight merino zip jacket - Rarely needed for walking; generally worn in evenings
  3. Buff and gloves
  4. Long-sleeve sun shirt - Usually my outer layer while walking
  5. Light long-sleeved base layer - Often removed once the day warms up
  6. Very light merino sleeveless shirt - As an undershirt
On a pleasantly cool morning, I typically set out wearing #3, 4, 5, 6. After I get walking, maybe 30-60 minutes, I'll remove the buff and gloves without stopping. After another hour I stop for a break and remove #5 if the day is warm. Or I might add #1 if it is chilly.

For pants, I wear regular walking pants and if it is cold, I pull my rain pants over them.

In my backpack I have for the evenings:
  • another t-shirt - for lounging/sleeping on warm evenings
  • another very light long-sleeved base layer (90 g)- for lounging/sleeping on colder evenings
  • medium weight merino pants, sweat pants style - for lounging/sleeping
  • puffy sleeveless down vest - Love it in the evenings, and use it in my sleeping bag often.
I have a total of three pairs of socks, 3 underpants, and 2 bras, including what I'm wearing.

I agree with the gloves but maybe 2 pairs are not necessary. I take 2 liner pairs, which I can wear together.

Dear fellow Aussie

Just shows how unpredictable weather can be. Mid April 2015 I was walking in snow on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees. A few days later, I was melted climbing Alto de Perdon. Then leaving Carrion first week of May, it was freezing cold and I had to pull out the gloves etc used for the Pyrenees. By that time I had thought the warm weather was here to stay so had sent my jacket home. May 15th at O Cebreiro, the temperature went from warm and pleasant to freezing in a matter of minutes. It is hard to forecast on the basis of previous years

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Weather in April/May is unpredictable. Layers are your best option. I walked in heavy snow May 12th the day to Cruz de Fero. My friends who crossed the next day had sunshine. I'm not going to lie, my feet were wet and frozen and I didn't have gloves so I worried about frostbite. However, it ended up being one of my most memorable days and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Some pilgrims had to taxi and that was ok. Don't worry, just pack the best you can and go with an open heart to whatever the weather might be. It will be part of your experience.IMG_0785.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Focus on the layering. I carry a similar number of layers, but they are mostly extremely light/thin except for 1 merino zip jacket and the down vest. I hate to be cold, and have the following layers for walking, removing them as necessary, from the outer layer at the top of the list. On a cold morning I could wear them all.
  1. Rain jacket - As well as for rain, serves as wind break or for insulation on cold days
  2. Medium weight merino zip jacket - Rarely needed for walking; generally worn in evenings
  3. Buff and gloves
  4. Long-sleeve sun shirt - Usually my outer layer while walking
  5. Light long-sleeved base layer - Often removed once the day warms up
  6. Very light merino sleeveless shirt - As an undershirt
On a pleasantly cool morning, I typically set out wearing #3, 4, 5, 6. After I get walking, maybe 30-60 minutes, I'll remove the buff and gloves without stopping. After another hour I stop for a break and remove #5 if the day is warm. Or I might add #1 if it is chilly.

For pants, I wear regular walking pants and if it is cold, I pull my rain pants over them.

In my backpack I have for the evenings:
  • another t-shirt - for lounging/sleeping on warm evenings
  • another very light long-sleeved base layer (90 g)- for lounging/sleeping on colder evenings
  • medium weight merino pants, sweat pants style - for lounging/sleeping
  • puffy sleeveless down vest - Love it in the evenings, and use it in my sleeping bag often.
I have a total of three pairs of socks, 3 underpants, and 2 bras, including what I'm wearing.

I agree with the gloves but maybe 2 pairs are not necessary. I take 2 liner pairs, which I can wear together.
I agree with that...

I am bringing a very light weight sleeping bag and silk liner. I have three pairs of wool socks plus liners and plan on carrying no more than 7kg, which means I'm need to cut things out. The above list does not include toiletries, fist aid etc. I was more concerned about the clothing at this stage. Anything else will all depend on total weight.
You don't need both a sleeping bag and liner. In all likelihood just the liner would be sufficient.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in a cold climate, snow from November to mid-April each year. They key to staying warm is a warm head, hands and feet. A knitted ski cap is essential for early April as you lose a lot of heat from your head, at least for the first few hours each day and in the higher altitude parts of the Camino.. Ski gloves are nice to have for at least the first few hours each day as well until it warms up.
As far as your body dress in layers and adjust during the day staying warm, but being careful not to sweat through your layers which is very easy to do with the physical exertion of walking. At altitude, getting sweaty can lead to hypothermia which is not good.
We walked in snow the last few hours getting into Roncesvales via the Val Carlos route on April 8th-2016, not that cold, probably 2 to 3C. The snow was mostly gone by mid-day the next day of walking. No back pack in this picture because we had already secured a place for the night.
IMG_0071.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket
The one thing I have learned about the Camino Frances is that the weather is changeable. We walked in May and June in 2014 and had cold, wet and misty over the Pyrenees, some hot days on the Meseta, more cold including snow flurries at the end of May at the Cruz de ferro and pouring rain in Santiago. We walked again in April and May 2016, and when we crossed the Pyrenees on 7th April had full on snow (see the start of our video blog
), and generally cold and wet conditions for the next 5 weeks. Many mornings were 1 or 2 degrees. Best is to prepare for rain, layer up if its cold and enjoy the sun if you get it.

The one thing I have learned about the Camino Frances is that the weather is changeable. We walked in May and June in 2014 and had cold, wet and misty over the Pyrenees, some hot days on the Meseta, more cold including snow flurries at the end of May at the Cruz de ferro and pouring rain in Santiago. We walked again in April and May 2016, and when we crossed the Pyrenees on 7th April had full on snow (see the start of our video blog
), and generally cold and wet conditions for the next 5 weeks. Many mornings were 1 or 2 degrees. Best is to prepare for rain, layer up if its cold and enjoy the sun if you get it.

My wife and I started from St.Jean on April 8th 2016, and since the Napoleon route was closed, we walked via Val Carlos and still ran into heavy snow the last couple of hours into Roncesvalles.
So did you ignore the official closing and go via the Napoleon route anyway? My recollection is that it had not been open yet since the usual seasonal closing that goes to April 1st each year because of unusually high spring snow.

My wife and I started from St.Jean on April 8th 2016, and since the Napoleon route was closed, we walked via Val Carlos and still ran into heavy snow the last couple of hours into Roncesvalles.
So did you ignore the official closing and go via the Napoleon route anyway? My recollection is that it had not been open yet since the usual seasonal closing that goes to April 1st each year because of unusually high spring snow.
Like you, we walked via Valcarlos. Yes, they hadn't opened up the high route at that time. For us, the last 5 km or so was really tough as the hard part of the Valcarlos route came at the end of a long day. We must have been thereabouts in 2016 as we stayed an extra day in Pamplona.

I live in a cold climate, snow from November to mid-April each year. They key to staying warm is a warm head, hands and feet. A knitted ski cap is essential for early April as you lose a lot of heat from your head, at least for the first few hours each day and in the higher altitude parts of the Camino.. Ski gloves are nice to have for at least the first few hours each day as well until it warms up.
As far as your body dress in layers and adjust during the day staying warm, but being careful not to sweat through your layers which is very easy to do with the physical exertion of walking. At altitude, getting sweaty can lead to hypothermia which is not good.
We walked in snow the last few hours getting into Roncesvales via the Val Carlos route on April 8th-2016, not that cold, probably 2 to 3C. The snow was mostly gone by mid-day the next day of walking. No back pack in this picture because we had already secured a place for the night.
View attachment 39022
We walked through there the day before in 2016 and missed the snow

At the time of year you will be walking, my advice would be to keep the sleeping bag if planning to stay in albergues. Not all of them have blankets and few keep the heating on all night. In several I used my sleeping bag and a blanket. Mind you I stayed mostly in municipals and parochials. Private albergues may be different.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Weather in April/May is unpredictable. Layers are your best option. I walked in heavy snow May 12th the day to Cruz de Fero. My friends who crossed the next day had sunshine. I'm not going to lie, my feet were wet and frozen and I didn't have gloves so I worried about frostbite. However, it ended up being one of my most memorable days and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Some pilgrims had to taxi and that was ok. Don't worry, just pack the best you can and go with an open heart to whatever the weather might be. It will be part of your experience.View attachment 39019
Ha! I was there the day before you and it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day! I heard from some friends there was snow the next day, but hadn't seen a photo of it! :)

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

I hiked the Frances beginning in April/May and I had pretty much what you are packing. I got hailed on, snowed on (lightly) but mostly I was rained on and it got cold at times. I needed a warm hat as some of the alberques were very cold. I am considering walking it again this April and will bring the same thing including a fleece hat.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My one essential is thermal long johns. Wear them as pj’s, under my hiking pants and/or skirt on cold days. With a longer tshirt they are great for longing in the evenings. Only take a sleeping bag liner. never cold at night (April 2017)

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

I'm possibly leaving Sydney around the same time as you. What airline/route are you going by? I'm thinking Syd to Paris, trains to SJPdP and return to Syd via Madrid, using Cathay.

For what it is worth we had four days of snow March April 2016. We had significantly less clothing than you are suggesting and we were totally fine. When you are exercising you really dont need much, even in terms if layers. The two most important items for us were gloves, which you have, and a woolen beanie, which you don’t. I would think seriously about the beanie. Once things go a lot warmer we listed our cold weather gear to Ivar as we prefer to walk with as little as possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked in some snow on the Pyrenees in April 2015, but no more snow after that for us. I did not take gloves and only occasionally wished I had them, but I did not taking walking poles so could put hands in pockets. I think gloves would be more important for those with walking poles. I took a lightweight gortex jacket and a lightweight fleece plus lightweight long sleeved top so I could wear layers. I think you probably need to choose between a jacket or a poncho because of weight. We didn't have much rain, only maybe two days of heavy rain; however, I do think weather is variable in April and May. Its good to have something to wear at night. Some people choose to wear their walking clothes which is fine, but I chose to wear lightweight thermals. These provided me with an extra layer if I needed them for the daytime to (but I did not need them in the day).

I concur with Kanga re gloves. Last September was cool and many of us walked with socks as gloves in the mornings. I purchased a super-lightweight knit glove in Leon and used them almost daily afterwards. Totally worth their weight... but I hate being cold!

I started from SJPP the first week of April last year. I ran into snow two days about half way through. Your packing list looks similar to what I had. Durning the snow days I had on all my layers. I’ve tried to add a photo my E57C9B5E-9E82-4FB8-BD2C-5924AC353C02.jpegclimb to Cruz de Fierro, showing 2-3 inches.

Have fun, don’t worry. You’ll do just fine

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

Attachments

• FDA48205-88DE-411E-B5D1-A644F79A60E6.jpeg
    FDA48205-88DE-411E-B5D1-A644F79A60E6.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 17
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This photo is from mid-April 2015 on the Napoleon route. It was not cold and I did not need the long underwear and jacket that were IN my pack. I got rid of them and my hiking boots which were also IN my pack in Roncesvalles because I figured if I did not need them on the Napoleon route in these conditions, I would not need them later (my boots were extremely uncomfortable and my running shoes did fine even in the snow).

IMG_3353.JPGWhat I did need the entire way both in April/May 2015 and later in May/June 2017 are gloves, poncho, my wool sweater (which was light, but very warm), and a scarf. I could write a book on uses for a scarf on the Camino.

During the 2017 trip, we were in a heat wave, so I tossed the sweater. I regretted that later in massive and cold thunderstorms. When one writes (or reads) sentences like the last one, one must wonder WHY do we do this? After you walk across a country in all kinds of conditions, across all types of terrain, you will know. We are heading out again in August. :)

Good luck to you. You will learn exactly what you need (and don't need) on the first day. Buen Camino!

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket
I walked March 27-May 12, 2016. I carried too much and jettisoned alot at Leon. What worked for me: I used poles. Because of the poles I needed gloves. I used lightweight fishing gloves with finger tips free. They were more than adequate, worn start to finish. I carried 5 pairs of socks, 3 PHD Smartwool, and 2 pairs ankle-high mid-weight socks for rainy days where wet feet were inevitable . Merrill Moab Ventilators non- waterproof, and croc sandals The Ventilators dried fast and I only got a little blister once (when I changed to a different pair that I had sent ahead.) Long sleeve light weight merino and pants. Wore until about the last week. Short sleeve merino shirt. Outdoor Research convertible pants. 1 pair leggings and one short sleeve cotton t-shirt for evenings/sleeping, 2 pairs cotton briefs, 1 pair patagonia undies (to walk in, washed ever day in the shower, dried overnight.) 1 jog bra, 1 sleep bra for evenings. I had a lightweight long sleeve fleece and a ultra light cheep (Costco) down jacket (they were a Godsend because after I stopped and showered I would be freezing cold before I had dinner (probably due to not eating enough during the day). Gortex jacket, rain pants (wore them almost every day through April), Altus poncho used more as a cape (got sick of having wet pack straps rubbing on goretex jacket), featherweight windbreaker, parachute nylon sleep sack (treated with natural bed bug repellant before leaving home), Deuter Dreamlite 500 sleeping bag (600 g), a buff, Floppy sun hat. I carried Brierly's guide and ripped out the pages as I went along. I was 59 at the time, overweight, and have asthma and sleep apnea. I carried 1/2 of an old Phyllips Respironics CPAP. I carried 1 liter full water bottle, plus small bottle. I also bought a stainless steel cup that I clipped to the front of my pack. I drank my fill at each fuente and never touched the 1 liter bottle. If I did Frances again I would only carry a small bottle on days where there was >10k between fuentes. It was a lot but I used it all. In April/May this year I will walk the Del Norte route. Considering not taking the goretex jacket, the poles and gloves, the lightweight fleece, adding another long sleeve lightweight merino shirt, and going with ball cap hat instead of floppy hat. May instead go with breathable rain hat. May wear Brooks Cascadia 11 trail runners instead of the lightweight hikers. Considering adding Keen sandals, and bringing $1 flip flops for shower. I plan to leave the pants at home and wear a midlength macabi skirt. I'm looking at the new mini CPAP, but haven't weighed the whole setup against what I used last time- it is wicked expensive.) I hope I didn't rattle on too long and that someone will find this helpful.

Hi Africa,

Welcome to the Forum.

Isn't it a challenge when all sorts of folks provide their spectrum of experiences? The problem is, they are all true. So, how to handle to hot, warm cool, cold, wet, dry of the Camino? I took a page from the Boy Scout book, "Be prepared." It may take a little more gear / weight to fulfill that statement, but I might recmmend that everything that you bring should be as inexpensive as possible so if there is a need to shed some gear, it can be left behind for somepone else to use with little concern for cost.

Or sent to Santiago to pick up at the end. I sent an expensive lightweight down bag to myself in care of correos (post office) because it weighed too much and didn't need that warm a bag)

Thank you. Your advice does help. I heat up quickly when walking so, you're right I won't need too many long sleeve tops.
There will be no snow
You will be walking for a month so the end will be in mid May , great month to finish and there will be rain in Galicia , 10000 per cent but by then mate you will just have a smirk on your face.
Just get a dress shirt or two from Kathmandu for after the shower and a few t / shirts to walk in under your fleece . This will be on the outside of the bag after a few hours when you warm up.
We take oldish t/shirts because Africa they never come home.
And do what's hard for you mob up there , leave you hair dryer at home;)
Have a great Camino and take your time , only when you return will you appreciate where you have been. Logrono equals Macleay St , great food and atmosphere thus kid spend a fraction more that night , a room for one or two and enjoy that city.

Last edited:
There will be no snow
You will be walking for a month so the end will be in mid May , great month to finish and there will be rain in Galicia , 10000 per cent but by then mate you will just have a smirk on your face.
Just get a dress shirt or two from Kathmandu for after the shower and a few t/ shirts to walk in under your fleece . This will be on the outside of the bag after a few hours when you warm up.
Have a great Camino and take your time , only when you return will you appreciate where you have been. Logrono equals Macleay St , great food .
You say there will be no snow, yet if you look at the posts many people experienced all sorts of extremes both hot and cold. Probably best to say that the weather along the Camino can be unpredictable in April and May.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is a great thread.
Yes, you will be hot / cold/ wet / ...... You will figure out how to use what little is in your pack to make life work. You will leave behind, along the way, what doesn't work. There are stores in Spain. Take something that makes you happy and makes you smile.

This is a great thread.
Yes, you will be hot / cold/ wet / ...... You will figure out how to use what little is in your pack to make life work. You will leave behind, along the way, what doesn't work. There are stores in Spain. Take something that makes you happy and makes you smile.
Agree

You say there will be no snow, yet if you look at the posts many people experienced all sorts of extremes both hot and cold. Probably best to say that the weather along the Camino can be unpredictable in April and May.

There will be no snow guys and i will rely on Africa's honesty to win a **bottle of Red:)

Yes there will be all types of weather and there will never be a wetter May than in 08 when we got drenched for the first week [ Mountain pass closed , ferries from UK to Spain cancelled , planes mistaking the wrong runway .. 300 dead, albergues in P La Reina under water etc] but;
There was always the Gant section in Madrid / Oviedo to replace all the old stuff we leave behind at 70% discount to back home.
**Will it be a Jacobs Creek Mike or Brokenwood ?
Keep well

Last edited:

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

Looks like a good start! Last time I hiked, I started around the same time. I got rain, snow, and finally heat (I don't like the heat ). I'm from Maine, so the cold was not an issue with layers. You are wise to bring rain pants! Is your gortex jacket waterproof? It should be. I would ditch the poncho in favor of good breathable rain jacket and a cover for your pack. To be on the safe side, I also put all my gear in a big garbage bag in the backpack. If you have pockets, one pair of light gloves should suffice. A wool hat is a nice addition for cold. And I would definitely bring a pair of light long johns (Cuddledowns are good). I'm packing now too. Starting in Belorado, I need to be prepared for "winter." You'll have less of that.

We had snow at O'cebero in mid May 2014, so come prepared

In April I find a pair of gloves essential.

I have to agree after walking in April 2017.
There were a few mornings that fell below zero and one day with driving cold rain & wind where I don't think i would have managed to well without gloves

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

I'll be around a week behind you..
Last year I took a liner and never used it, my lightweight sleeping bag was enough

I would take rain pants over a poncho. My experience was that with rain came wind and I saw many people with ponchos blowing around like a sail

Liner gloves!!

Personally I found the Icebreaker Cool-Lite shirts a little too light and survived nicely with 2 x short sleeve drimotion and 1 x long sleeve merino shirts.
Though during the evenings relaxing with shirt, fleece and gortex jacket I was often a little cool still so I'm considering taking my very lightweight down jacket that compresses well & doesn't weigh much

I walked March 27-May 12, 2016. I carried too much and jettisoned alot at Leon. What worked for me: I used poles. Because of the poles I needed gloves. I used lightweight fishing gloves with finger tips free. They were more than adequate, worn start to finish. I carried 5 pairs of socks, 3 PHD Smartwool, and 2 pairs ankle-high mid-weight socks for rainy days where wet feet were inevitable . Merrill Moab Ventilators non- waterproof, and croc sandals The Ventilators dried fast and I only got a little blister once (when I changed to a different pair that I had sent ahead.) Long sleeve light weight merino and pants. Wore until about the last week. Short sleeve merino shirt. Outdoor Research convertible pants. 1 pair leggings and one short sleeve cotton t-shirt for evenings/sleeping, 2 pairs cotton briefs, 1 pair patagonia undies (to walk in, washed ever day in the shower, dried overnight.) 1 jog bra, 1 sleep bra for evenings. I had a lightweight long sleeve fleece and a ultra light cheep (Costco) down jacket (they were a Godsend because after I stopped and showered I would be freezing cold before I had dinner (probably due to not eating enough during the day). Gortex jacket, rain pants (wore them almost every day through April), Altus poncho used more as a cape (got sick of having wet pack straps rubbing on goretex jacket), featherweight windbreaker, parachute nylon sleep sack (treated with natural bed bug repellant before leaving home), Deuter Dreamlite 500 sleeping bag (600 g), a buff, Floppy sun hat. I carried Brierly's guide and ripped out the pages as I went along. I was 59 at the time, overweight, and have asthma and sleep apnea. I carried 1/2 of an old Phyllips Respironics CPAP. I carried 1 liter full water bottle, plus small bottle. I also bought a stainless steel cup that I clipped to the front of my pack. I drank my fill at each fuente and never touched the 1 liter bottle. If I did Frances again I would only carry a small bottle on days where there was >10k between fuentes. It was a lot but I used it all. In April/May this year I will walk the Del Norte route. Considering not taking the goretex jacket, the poles and gloves, the lightweight fleece, adding another long sleeve lightweight merino shirt, and going with ball cap hat instead of floppy hat. May instead go with breathable rain hat. May wear Brooks Cascadia 11 trail runners instead of the lightweight hikers. Considering adding Keen sandals, and bringing $1 flip flops for shower. I plan to leave the pants at home and wear a midlength macabi skirt. I'm looking at the new mini CPAP, but haven't weighed the whole setup against what I used last time- it is wicked expensive.) I hope I didn't rattle on too long and that someone will find this helpful.
I'm wondering why you're not taking the poles for the Norte. It's pretty hilly. Can you explain what the problem was exactly with the backpack straps in the rain? Do the straps soak up the water, or slip or what exactly? Thanks.

I'm possibly leaving Sydney around the same time as you. What airline/route are you going by? I'm thinking Syd to Paris, trains to SJPdP and return to Syd via Madrid, using Cathay.
Hi Mack
We are flying out of Sydney on 5 April Qantas to Singapore then Air France to Paris. Bus and trains to SJPdP. On the way back we will fly from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid and onto Paris where we are staying for a few night than Air France to Singapore and Qantas back to Sydney. Hope this helps

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There will be no snow guys and i will rely on Africa's honesty to win a **bottle of Red:)

Yes there will be all types of weather and there will never be a wetter May than in 08 when we got drenched for the first week [ Mountain pass closed , ferries from UK to Spain cancelled , planes mistaking the wrong runway .. 300 dead, albergues in P La Reina under water etc] but;
There was always the Gant section in Madrid / Oviedo to replace all the old stuff we leave behind at 70% discount to back home.
**Will it be a Jacobs Creek Mike or Brokenwood ?
Keep well
I promise I will be honest and provide a weather report while I'm there :p

There will be no snow
Just get a dress shirt or two from Kathmandu for after the shower and a few t / shirts to walk in under your fleece . This will be on the outside of the bag after a few hours when you warm up.
We take oldish t/shirts because Africa they never come home.
Have a great Camino and take your time , only when you return will you appreciate where you have been. Logrono equals Macleay St , great food and atmosphere thus kid spend a fraction more that night , a room for one or two and enjoy that city.
Hey Thornley, I can't see anywhere in my packing list where I mentioned a hairdryer:rolleyes:

Hey Thornley, I can't see anywhere in my packing list where I mentioned a hairdryer:rolleyes:

Kanga might expel me Africa if i tell you the true story , it was very funny , maybe not when it was happening but commencing in 2008 we say daily a few Aussies in a very wet May
We knew the Adelaide mob by their English,we knew the Queenslanders by their tans and the ones north of the Murray by their attendance in Pamplona @ the Post Office sending home their hair dryers:)
One pulled the plug , one got a number 3 and the others paid for the postage. They were good fun.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

I light weight fleece
1 buff
1 wide brim hat
1 gortex jacket

thanks for this thread! I have no advice but may see you my husband and me as we are planning on leaving SJPP on Apr 7th. We are doing the same juggling of warm, cool, waterproof and layering.

I'm wondering why you're not taking the poles for the Norte. It's pretty hilly. Can you explain what the problem was exactly with the backpack straps in the rain? Do the straps soak up the water, or slip or what exactly? Thanks.
I have been walking/hiking since Sept. Without poles and am getting along ok. Fly fishing and using poles cross country skiing for me often times leads to tendonitis (tennis elbow). I don't need the poles on flat pavement, but they are definately a plus on steep rugged terrain. I HATE the sound if poles clicking on the pavement (especially other peoples, but my own as well). I will bring the fishing gloves. Still haven't decided. On the pack straps, they got soaked, as well as the hip belt and pouches on the belt. I had a brand new goretex jacket am concerned with the wear from rubbing, wet or dry.

This is a great thread.
My husband’s response, “beer’s too heavy!”

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I HATE the sound if poles clicking

So do half the pilgrims on the paths , well said.

They can buy rubbers for the ends if they look hard enough.

The worst day many years ago was when entering Santiago and instead of carrying for the last 500 metres and taking it all in all we could hear was click , click , click from a group .......who did not start too far back.
A young Spanish lady turned around and put one finger to her lips and pointed at their poles , they nodded , understood and carried them the last few minutes.

I promise I will be honest and provide a weather report while I'm there :p

Just received a photo from my daughter who was driving to Paris ..........snow everywhere.
Looks like i might be buying.

In 2013 April 17-May 17 Camino Frances we had snow going over the mountains from SJPDP. We had snow again just before Burgos.
Wind on the meseta was hypothermic. I always take a toque and light gloves. Several layers but not doubles of each layer as the weight gets excessive. Do take extra pairs of socks.
The poncho with pack buckled over the top makes a good wind shell.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.