• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confused about Macabi Skirt

shutterbug

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk October 2018
Hi, I’ve been reading about how wonderful the Macabi skirt is and I’m wondering what does everyone prefer, the slim or regular for hiking? I’m only 5’2 and about average weight for a 53 year old women, with a short waist, and ample hips, so skirts have a tendency to make me look like a tent. I will be walking the Camino in early October, and would prefer not to look like a tent floating down the trail.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi and welcome!!! Your first post!
Mmm... The Macabi.... I only know the regular version, tried to buy the 'slim' one when it came out but by then postage and packing costs had changed, it cost as much as the skirt to send it over here! So I didn't order one :-(
I love that skirt but it is NOT flattering. i am not very tall either (1.60m? or thereabouts) and no doubt it doesn't do anything for your figure or whatever. :). So forget about looking stylish. If you are at all self-conscious, don't even think about it!
I love it because it is the most comfortable thing I have ever walked in. It dries in seconds, it protects your legs from nettles and sunshine, you can shorten it when it gets very hot, I felt at ease walking in out of the way parts of Turkey in it , you name it....
But fashionable or flattering it certainly isn't ! :)
Your call ;-)

I looked like Granny Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies while wearing my macabi and hiking boots!

BUT- I loved my skirt. I'll be wearing it again this summer on my second Camino. I can't comment on the way it looks on someone shorter. I'm 5' 7". I also have ample hips.

It comes down to this for me- 1. The Camino is no beauty contest. 2. No one really cares what you look like. They're all too tired and worried about themselves. 3. The skirt makes peeing in the grandeur of nature (ha ha) much easier and more private. 4. You'll have a pack around you with a waist belt (I assume) so most of the time your waist will kind of match your hips. 5. Bring something else to change into at night after your shower. I bring a lightweight dress just because it still fits even when I lose inches from walking. But a pair of shorts or lightweight pants with one of your hiking shirts works just as well. 6. Train in it for awhile before you go. Make sure that the dreaded "chub rub" is not an issue for you. I don't have heavy thighs so I had no issue. 7. Don't worry about what you think you look like in whatever you choose. The Camino is about letting go of so much from our daily lives. There is a genuinely freeing feeling to wearing no make up, having stains on your clothes that you can't hand-wash out, hair that looks a touch wild, and the salty taste of your sweat on a long, hot day.

Whatever you choose...Spain is a first-world nation. You can always switch it out at a shop in the next big town.

Buen Camino,

Sandi

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I looked like Granny Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies while wearing my macabi and hiking boots!

BUT- I loved my skirt. I'll be wearing it again this summer on my second Camino. I can't comment on the way it looks on someone shorter. I'm 5' 7". I also have ample hips.

It comes down to this for me- 1. The Camino is no beauty contest. 2. No one really cares what you look like. They're all too tired and worried about themselves. 3. The skirt makes peeing in the grandeur of nature (ha ha) much easier and more private. 4. You'll have a pack around you with a waist belt (I assume) so most of the time your waist will kind of match your hips. 5. Bring something else to change into at night after your shower. I bring a lightweight dress just because it still fits even when I lose inches from walking. But a pair of shorts or lightweight pants with one of your hiking shirts works just as well. 6. Train in it for awhile before you go. Make sure that the dreaded "chub rub" is not an issue for you. I don't have heavy thighs so I had no issue. 7. Don't worry about what you think you look like in whatever you choose. The Camino is about letting go of so much from our daily lives. There is a genuinely freeing feeling to wearing no make up, having stains on your clothes that you can't hand-wash out, hair that looks a touch wild, and the salty taste of your sweat on a long, hot day.

Whatever you choose...Spain is a first-world nation. You can always switch it out at a shop in the next big town.

Buen Camino,

Sandi
Thank you for the reminder of not caring what other people think. I usually don’t give a hoot, but I’m feeling nervous about the whole escapade, so even my attire is stressing me out. LOL

There are pictures of what the different length looks like on short and tall women on the skirt’s website. I am as tall as you are, and I am sure I will look like a tent in Macabi. But I don’t care as long as I figure out the sizing (I am EU38).

Some people here love their macabi skirts, so of course listen to their feedback. But here is mine. They look huge, heavy, Mother Hubbard-ish and - the one time I saw somebody wearing one - I thought they belonged to some kind of Mennonite religious group or a cult or something. You will never see a Spanish person wearing such a thing (they won't be wearing zip-off pants or cargo shorts either, but I carry a lightweight dress for certain settings/occasions). This is all my personal experience, so I don't mean to start a debate, but I think it's fair that you hear another perspective. I like my thighs separated by pant legs... or in my case, shorts. No rubbing. I wore cargo shorts with deep pockets for my phone and wallet and was very happy.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha, Jill! The Macabi skirt is what proved to me that two people can be firmly entrenched and sure they are right and disbelieving that anyone can disagree with them (that lesson has served me well in the current US political climate). I remember the first time I saw a Macabi skirt. I was working in the pilgrims office and @shefollowsshells came in for her compostela. My first reaction was, OMG, how in the world is she walking in this thing? But I kept my mouth shut. And as we talked, unprovoked by me, she went on and on raving about the Macabi's many advantages. And then on the forum there were several threads about them, and I was, like you, amazed that so many people could love them so much, when to me they looked absolutely unwearable. (or unbearable maybe).

There is no way we are going to convince any Macabi wearer that they are awful, just as no Macabi devotee will ever convince us that they are NOT awful. But that's the beauty of having choices, let every woman find her own personal answer to the Macabi skirt debate. Buen camino, Laurie

Ha, Jill! The Macabi skirt is what proved to me that two people can be firmly entrenched and sure they are right and disbelieving that anyone can disagree with them (that lesson has served me well in the current US political climate). I remember the first time I saw a Macabi skirt. I was working in the pilgrims office and @shefollowsshells came in for her compostela. My first reaction was, OMG, how in the world is she walking in this thing? But I kept my mouth shut. And as we talked, unprovoked by me, she went on and on raving about the Macabi's many advantages. And then on the forum there were several threads about them, and I was, like you, amazed that so many people could love them so much, when to me they looked absolutely unwearable. (or unbearable maybe).

There is no way we are going to convince any Macabi wearer that they are awful, just as no Macabi devotee will ever convince us that they are NOT awful. But that's the beauty of having choices, let every woman find her own personal answer to the Macabi skirt debate. Buen camino, Laurie

I totally agree with you. I'm not on a mission to convince anybody of anything. And those who have worn them and love them, good for them! Always great to find something that works well for yourself. But if somebody posts, asking what people think, I think they deserve to hear different views.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wear a hiking skirt, skorts and male undies with the skirt. Katmandu have a friends and family discounts of 60-70% April/May

Attachments

• C6CA07A6-41F1-4155-8D05-70541964B6F5.jpeg
    C6CA07A6-41F1-4155-8D05-70541964B6F5.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 202
  • DE583346-5F5F-462A-9AC4-D48CA323DA23.jpeg
    DE583346-5F5F-462A-9AC4-D48CA323DA23.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 96FA6B03-875B-4789-89AC-3B1DA24F7D65.jpeg
    96FA6B03-875B-4789-89AC-3B1DA24F7D65.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 204
Like other posters on this thread, I couldn't give a hoot about how I look. My reaction to the Macabi skirt has nothing to do with fashion.

But it does remind me of my very first camino. I walked with another woman, and we both brought Ex Officio skirts, thinking that we would need a skirt to be able to go into churches, etc. (oh, how Spain had changed, even back in 2000). Since we had one pair of pants and one skirt, we wound up in skirts most days after walking. We later learned that we were referred to as the "madams", which made me a bit uneasy given the possible meaning that I assume they weren't referring to.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Okay, I do give a hoot about how I look. :)
I walk in my homemade merino wool dresses. They work for me for summer Caminos. I like that I can take off my backpack, put on my sandals, and my attire doesn't scream pilgrim.
I am with you. Although other pilgrims don't care about how you look. It only takes a little thought to look coordinated and sharp. And the Spanish people always look nice . But I enjoy the creativity I put into a light weight dress, scarf and shorts. So wear what you will.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Once I met a young man on a camino wearing a Macabi skirt, bright yellow, and long locks which he would wear either coming down to his shoulders or tied up in a sort of bun. Did not ask if he was comfortable.

And, referring to peregrina2000’s tale of being a madam, I also met an English lady from New Zealand who always wore a kneelength straight flowery skirt while walking and upon arrival changed into a flowery anklelength dress. Her sun hat was quite large and floppy and went beautifully with both skirts. She was of a certain age and I thought she was very beautiful. There were several of us meeting at the same albergue (VdlP) for several days and feeling perfectly comfortable together whatever everybody wore.

Hi and welcome!!! Your first post!
Mmm... The Macabi.... I only know the regular version, tried to buy the 'slim' one when it came out but by then postage and packing costs had changed, it cost as much as the skirt to send it over here! So I didn't order one :-(
I love that skirt but it is NOT flattering. i am not very tall either (1.60m? or thereabouts) and no doubt it doesn't do anything for your figure or whatever. :). So forget about looking stylish. If you are at all self-conscious, don't even think about it!
I love it because it is the most comfortable thing I have ever walked in. It dries in seconds, it protects your legs from nettles and sunshine, you can shorten it when it gets very hot, I felt at ease walking in out of the way parts of Turkey in it , you name it....
But fashionable or flattering it certainly isn't ! :)
Your call ;-)
I bought a macabi skirt to take on my camino the end of May. Did you wear any special shorts or leggings under your skirt or just undiesJust wondering about if chafing is a problem. I have never walked long distances in a skirt before.

I love my Macabi skirt. Would definitely go for the slim version. Last May, we had a huge rain/wind storm. Even though the wind was so strong and it was twisting slightly around my legs, it did not impede my walking. After a while, the rain pretty much stopped, it was still very windy. The skirt was dry on my body in less than 20 minutes. I loved how dirt just seemed to brush off and even grease did not seem to penetrate much. And the right hand zippered pocket was a favourite. Always had some ready cash way down in the pocket, with the zipper zipped and never felt that any paper money was going to fall out if I reached for a tissue or lip balm. Had to laugh on a few occasions when people (always men) asked if I was a sister! As for being fashionable - have to say on a Camino, I sure don't worry about this much. I do coordinate my vast (joke) wardrobe by choosing colours that work together and I take a pair of leggings for when it gets cold and while travelling on the plane. I have seen gals wearing the skirt with a slender colourful scarf through the belt loops to brighten it up. Buen Camino whatever you choose, Linda.

I bought a macabi skirt to take on my camino the end of May. Did you wear any special shorts or leggings under your skirt or just undiesJust wondering about if chafing is a problem. I have never walked long distances in a skirt before.
I don't really have an issue with chafing, but I wear a pair of running shorts under my dress while I'm walking. They are useful when I need to sit on the ground in a less than ladylike position.:)
And I wear the same shorts and a tank top to sleep in.

Hi, I’ve been reading about how wonderful the Macabi skirt is and I’m wondering what does everyone prefer, the slim or regular for hiking? I’m only 5’2 and about average weight for a 53 year old women, with a short waist, and ample hips, so skirts have a tendency to make me look like a tent. I will be walking the Camino in early October, and would prefer not to look like a tent floating down the trail.

I am 5'3" and prefer the regular. I like being able to sit cross legged on the ground, and like the air flow in the summer heat. I probably do look like a tent, but don't care. The extra room also traps heat in cold weather and keeps my legs and hips warmer.

I'm also 5'3" love my Macabi and was pretty gutted to find that (as someone else mentioned) the delivery prices overseas had gone up so much as to virtually double the price, i would have loved another one. Mine is not the slim version skirt and is regular length (as far as i can remember - i'm not at home right now to check). OK it's not elegant but it's soooooo comfy to walk in especially when it's warm. Some cooler mornings i wore leggings underneath until the day warmed up. Great pockets! No chafing problems. Guess i'm at an age where comfort beats looks :)

image.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear normal undies, no chafing (but that's just me!). I would try it out on a long walk before you start the Camino...
In Winter, I do wear some merino leggings underneath.

I'm 5'4" and my legs are the only thing in shape on my right now. Wore Macabi skirts both caminos. No backup. Cold out wore with leggings, warm out wore with mens undies with longer legs. The only time I wasn't wearing my skirt was in the shower or in bed. Just slipped it on in the morning, grabbed my pack and away I went! Pockets to die for.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't really have an issue with chafing, but I wear a pair of running shorts under my dress while I'm walking. They are useful when I need to sit on the ground in a less than ladylike position.:)
And I wear the same shorts and a tank top to sleep in.

Not judging here, but this is what I don't understand. Why not JUST wear the shorts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Macabi didn't work for me. I'm also 5'2 and average weight, but I found the waist way too binding for me, so there wasn't a payoff for how unflattering it also looked. I bought a Royal Robbins Discovery skirt on Amazon and liked it so much I bought a second one. I wore it on the early part of my September-October Camino, wear it all the time at home, and am taking it back with me in June. It truly doesn't matter what you look like on the Camino, but for me I've wanted to buy things I will also use at home. Given that I sometimes see myself on a Saturday afternoon wearing the same thing I wore walking across the Meseta, I somehow managed it. (Truth: for my third trip to the Camino, I'm buying almost nothing. Just new shoes and a rain jacket. But I'm remembering with nostalgia the deep dive into gear research that preceded my first Camino. Have fun!)

Not judging here, but this is what I don't understand. Why not JUST wear the shorts?

I've not done a camino in one yet - but I have travelled in Macabi skirts . Shorts are HOT - too much fabric too close to your body, plus as a blond I would have to cover my legs in suntan lotion - easier just to have a skirt. Plus its easier to squat in the wild (dunno if that's an issue in Spain) There is a reason that the Arabs who lived in deserts where long flowing clothes - they are cooler in a dry desert heat and cut down evaporation so you are less likely to be dehydrated. Plus for travel in general - I've never found shorts pockets deep enough to carry my phone, passport and cash securely.

The question of why not just wear shorts is aimed at those who wear shorts under their macabe skirt to deal with chub-rub. If a person is wearing shorts anyway, why bother with the skirt? To have pockets and sunblock seems to be the answer.

Not to be a troll, but I just noticed on another thread that somebody misspelled it "macabre skirt." That's what I'm calling it from now on!
Macabre might have been good old autocorrect doing it's thing. To me it does seem more appropriate. Can't fathom walking with volumnious amounts of fabric flopping around my legs. Different strokes for different folks....

I've not done a camino in one yet - but I have travelled in Macabi skirts . Shorts are HOT - too much fabric too close to your body, plus as a blond I would have to cover my legs in suntan lotion - easier just to have a skirt. Plus its easier to squat in the wild (dunno if that's an issue in Spain) There is a reason that the Arabs who lived in deserts where long flowing clothes - they are cooler in a dry desert heat and cut down evaporation so you are less likely to be dehydrated. Plus for travel in general - I've never found shorts pockets deep enough to carry my phone, passport and cash securely.

My Sahara cargo shorts from REI have lower pockets that perfectly carry my phone on one side, my passport, cash and other docs on the other side. I can't imagine shorts being hotter than that huge skirt. I guess I can imagine the sunburn issue, though (I burn easily, but can build up to it pretty quick).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, this is Mike Engberg, the owner of Macabi Skirt. The picture is of Amie, my daughter.

Anyway, I wanted to make a few comments.

First to shutterbug, the OP. We introduced the Slim style to cut down on some of the fabric as some women felt like the original just had too much. Since we've introduced it, we sale almost exactly 50% Original style and 50% Slim style. Now, I should note that it's not a gigantic difference. We still wanted the skirt to be wide enough at the bottom to take full steps in but many women do feel it is less 'tent like'.

To domigee, we have added back USPS International First Class mail for cheaper shipping to international locations. We had dropped it for a while because it seemed we had to many lost or extremely late packages. (Like 2 months on occasion.) However, since re-instating it, we haven't had any problems. (yet)

I'm not at all offended by those who don't like the skirt. I admit I have women in my own family who wouldn't wear it. However, the women who do wear it, absolutely love it and I'm so happy to provide them with a skirt that they wouldn't be able to find anywhere else with it's wonderful features.

I should let you know that we are just finishing up our summer sale which is scheduled to end Sunday evening and all of our skirts are now 20% off.

The Macabi didn't work for me. I'm also 5'2 and average weight, but I found the waist way too binding for me, so there wasn't a payoff for how unflattering it also looked. I bought a Royal Robbins Discovery skirt on Amazon and liked it so much I bought a second one. I wore it on the early part of my September-October Camino, wear it all the time at home, and am taking it back with me in June. It truly doesn't matter what you look like on the Camino, but for me I've wanted to buy things I will also use at home. Given that I sometimes see myself on a Saturday afternoon wearing the same thing I wore walking across the Meseta, I somehow managed it. (Truth: for my third trip to the Camino, I'm buying almost nothing. Just new shoes and a rain jacket. But I'm remembering with nostalgia the deep dive into gear research that preceded my first Camino. Have fun!)
I have a couple of pairs of old Royal Robins shorts, from their website it looks as if they dont make those styles any more. They are brilliant, almost knee length, huge pockets, and a hidden pocket in a pocket with a zip. I can fit my passport phone, money etc, plus they're not tight on the leg, and they dry sooo quickly. wish I could buy a new pair.

I have a couple of pairs of old Royal Robins shorts, from their website it looks as if they dont make those styles any more. They are brilliant, almost knee length, huge pockets, and a hidden pocket in a pocket with a zip. I can fit my passport phone, money etc, plus they're not tight on the leg, and they dry sooo quickly. wish I could buy a new pair.

Except for the 'shorts' part, it sounds like you're describing our Knee Length skirt! Huge pockets, a hidden pocket in a pocket with a zip, can fit a passport, phone, money etc, plus they're not tight on the leg and they dry sooo quickly! (But they are also not convertible like our Regular and Slim.) :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm just a pants/shorts person. The only skirts I have are work, corporate style to meet the dress code.

I just got a Macabi skirt, knee length. I want to be appropriate when I go into a Cathedral for Mass, not just being a tourist/pilgrim. I have to say that this new knee length skirt far outways my expectations!! I love it!! I just got it yesterday and put it on over my hiking shorts and it worked!! I don’t want to look like a hobo anywhere, whether it’s on a Camino or the PCT. BUT, I love this new knee length skirt. I got one in black but I will be ordering one in purple. This skirt can be slipped on/ worn in coed alburgues, at night for dinner, whatever. It’s made of awesome material so it washes and dries easily. I never promote anything, but this new knee length Macabi skirt is so awesome. I love it!

Except for the 'shorts' part, it sounds like you're describing our Knee Length skirt! Huge pockets, a hidden pocket in a pocket with a zip, can fit a passport, phone, money etc, plus they're not tight on the leg and they dry sooo quickly! (But they are also not convertible like our Regular and Slim.) :)
Yes!!!! This new knee length skirt is fabulous !!

Hi, this is Mike Engberg, the owner of Macabi Skirt. The picture is of Amie, my daughter.

Anyway, I wanted to make a few comments.

First to shutterbug, the OP. We introduced the Slim style to cut down on some of the fabric as some women felt like the original just had too much. Since we've introduced it, we sale almost exactly 50% Original style and 50% Slim style. Now, I should note that it's not a gigantic difference. We still wanted the skirt to be wide enough at the bottom to take full steps in but many women do feel it is less 'tent like'.

To domigee, we have added back USPS International First Class mail for cheaper shipping to international locations. We had dropped it for a while because it seemed we had to many lost or extremely late packages. (Like 2 months on occasion.) However, since re-instating it, we haven't had any problems. (yet)

I'm not at all offended by those who don't like the skirt. I admit I have women in my own family who wouldn't wear it. However, the women who do wear it, absolutely love it and I'm so happy to provide them with a skirt that they wouldn't be able to find anywhere else with it's wonderful features.

I should let you know that we are just finishing up our summer sale which is scheduled to end Sunday evening and all of our skirts are now 20% off.
Mike,
I love your new knee length skirt!! It’s awesome! I’ve been looking for something like this for years!! I put it on over my hiking shorts and guess what? I did not look frumpy or like a hobo!! I can’t express enough how satisfied I am with this skirt. It’s obvious you knew what you were doing when you designed this. From a Camino trekker and an ultralight backpacker, thank you!!!

Plus they come knee length now. Anyone who’s been in the”wild” knows the benefits.

Before I did my first camino, thanks to this forum, I bought a long macabi skirt. When it arrived I was a bit disappointed with the weight of it. The material itself was light but there were metal grommets, ties, tags and labels that all added to the weight. Anyway I gave the skirt a test run on a three day coastal walk that happened to be in very high temps and strong winds. Both the sun and the wind and the blown sand were at my back. Most of the time, I felt like a galleon in full sail being blown down the beach. I ended up with sunburn on my calves because the skirt kept whiping up and exposing my legs to the sun. And then there was the added surprise of chaffing because I had missed that pleasant little detail when reading forum posts. As soon as I got home that skirt went in the bin and instead I walk in long trousers that are far lighter and for me far more comfortable. Note this is just my experience and the point of this post is, no matter what you choose, it’s a good idea to test your walking clothes before you start the camino.

Before I did my first camino, thanks to this forum, I bought a long macabi skirt. When it arrived I was a bit disappointed with the weight of it. The material itself was light but there were metal grommets, ties, tags and labels that all added to the weight. Anyway I gave the skirt a test run on a three day coastal walk that happened to be in very high temps and strong winds. Both the sun and the wind and the blown sand were at my back. Most of the time, I felt like a galleon in full sail being blown down the beach. I ended up with sunburn on my calves because the skirt kept whiping up and exposing my legs to the sun. And then there was the added surprise of chaffing because I had missed that pleasant little detail when reading forum posts. As soon as I got home that skirt went in the bin and instead I walk in long trousers that are far lighter and for me far more comfortable. Note this is just my experience and the point of this post is, no matter what you choose, it’s a good idea to test your walking clothes before you start the camino.
I agree. But they have s new knee length skirt. But to each his own.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in the same pants I wear every day: men's pleated pants, like Dockers. They have the right pockets, the pleats for my hips, and I know what to expect from them. I found white ones for road-walking visibility. Usually I wear dirt-colors.

:eek: So I would even more sunburnt? :cool:
If you usually wear long pants, you would have to put sun screen on your lower legs. I keep this skirt in my pack so I can enter a church/cathedral respectively. So easy to slip on and off. But, I guess not for everyone. I would definitely wear this skirt to hike in as opposed to a previous entry of dockers. To me it’s a no issue, weight wise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you usually wear long pants, you would have to put sun screen on your lower legs. I keep this skirt in my pack so I can enter a church/cathedral respectively. So easy to slip on and off. But, I guess not for everyone. I would definitely wear this skirt to hike in as opposed to a previous entry of dockers. To me it’s a no issue, weight wise.
Sounds like you love your macabi skirt. It’s always good to find something you love to wear especially on the camino when you have to wear it every day or every other day. :)

Plus they come knee length now. Anyone who’s been in the”wild” knows the benefits.

I’m about to pack the knee length version for an Asian trip - the sun isn’t that strong in Asia so I’m not that worried about sun protection, for Spain I’d want the longer version to avoid the sun

As of right now I own 7 Macabi skirts. It is an addiction. (I do have 4 up for sale right now though due to needing to thin the herd). I am 5'4" on a good day, mid-60's, short torso. So comfortable for any kind of travel, plane, boat, train, car and HIKING! I don't even pack pants or shorts on my casinos. I've been extremely happy to wear them when it is 110°F out, shading my legs and in 0°F weather with leggings. The pockets are to die for. I've had to use the skirts as shall we say trail side modesty panels when doing my business off trail side and they work well.

I got the original : regular more roomy and not tent like . Quite styly That’s what I prefer and find it perfect . I’m 5.2 also and hoping to lose a few kilos enroute . 73 years but still jumping

I walked with my hubby from SJPDP to Santiago alternating with a Macabi regular length slim skirt and a Macabi short skirt.best decision. They washed and dried like magic and I could carry as much as I needed in my pockets. The short skirt was great in the hot days and the long was perfect going up and down the mountains and on days that ranged from cold to rainy to hot.

I walked with my hubby from SJPDP to Santiago alternating with a Macabi regular length slim skirt and a Macabi short skirt.best decision. They washed and dried like magic and I could carry as much as I needed in my pockets. The short skirt was great in the hot days and the long was perfect going up and down the mountains and on days that ranged from cold to rainy to hot.
That’s exactly he combo I thought I’d use too

Macabre might have been good old autocorrect doing it's thing. To me it does seem more appropriate. Can't fathom walking with volumnious amounts of fabric flopping around my legs. Different strokes for different folks....
That's exactly how I feel - the idea of material flopping around my lower legs makes me cringe.

But I can also see the benefit - maybe the knee length skirt would work...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting. I've worn it on nearly every Camino, in sun, rain, 70 kph winds, and haven't had the issues you mention. Makes me wonder what you ordered? Mine are extremely lightweight. No grommets, ties, tags or labels. There IS a strap you "can"use in high wind that goes between the legs and holds the skirt down. It weighs literally nothing - doesn't even register on my kitchen scale. I use it when necessary. I love my Macabis! lol! Like shoes, to each her/his own!

€60,-
That's exactly how I feel - the idea of material flopping around my lower legs makes me cringe.

But I can also see the benefit - maybe the knee length skirt would work...
I've never had it "flap around my legs" - :😆:: I'm 5'3", around 150 lbs, and get the medium regular. Doesn't seem voluminous. I did a video on mine if you look at my YouTube Channel Anniesantiago13.

Hi.. Is it the slim version you have?
I've just ordered the 'mormal' version, but can't decide if I should have ordered the slim version. I'm 165 cm tall and a size L/XL.
Thanks.
Anne-Louise
No, I have the ‘normal’ version. 🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting. I've worn it on nearly every Camino, in sun, rain, 70 kph winds, and haven't had the issues you mention. Makes me wonder what you ordered? Mine are extremely lightweight. No grommets, ties, tags or labels. There IS a strap you "can"use in high wind that goes between the legs and holds the skirt down. It weighs literally nothing - doesn't even register on my kitchen scale. I use it when necessary. I love my Macabis! lol! Like shoes, to each her/his own!
Hi. I've just tried my new Macabi in windy weather. First I need to say - Im a huge fan..it feel so light and really nice to wear.. But it surpriced me that the skirt were 'climbing' up above my knee both with and without the strap on. Underneath I was wearing woolpants. The wind came from the front. No problem when the Wind came from the back, neither when it rained a bit.
Except from that I love it and I want more :)

Hi. I've just tried my new Macabi in windy weather. First I need to say - Im a huge fan..it feel so light and really nice to wear.. But it surpriced me that the skirt were 'climbing' up above my knee both with and without the strap on. Underneath I was wearing woolpants. The wind came from the front. No problem when the Wind came from the back, neither when it rained a bit.
Except from that I love it and I want more :)
I once made a crossing on some sort of barge, the wind was truly horrendous and we were all standing. I think it is the only time I used the strap and I was very glad of it 😁 Somehow it worked.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am 5’2” and 140 pounds right now. I have been testing both the regular and the slim on my treadmill. It’s a personal decision. It also may depend on the length.

I added my cell phone in one pocket and my Brierly in the other. My partially filled pockets are more evident with the slim. The slim skirt caught a little on my high tops a few times. So the original May be my final choice.

Order both and send back the one you prefer.
Buen Camino!
👣🎒💕

I am 5’2” and 140 pounds right now. I have been testing both the regular and the slim on my treadmill. It’s a personal decision. It also may depend on the length.

I added my cell phone in one pocket and my Brierly in the other. My partially filled pockets are more evident with the slim. The slim skirt caught a little on my high tops a few times. So the original May be my final choice.

Order both and send back the one you prefer.
Buen Camino!
👣🎒💕
Thank you for your reply. I ordered the Original in regular length. i would prefer it a bit longer, but living in Switzerland it would cost too much to return it. So, I will find out on my 1. Camino if the length is ok.

Thank you for your reply. I ordered the Original in regular length. i would prefer it a bit longer, but living in Switzerland it would cost too much to return it. So, I will find out on my 1. Camino if the length is ok.
Kat46
I decided the regular length was fine. During my training walks I’ve been lowering my skirt a little below my backpack hip belt so they are not at the same level. It’s more comfy and there’s less likelihood of discomfort or chafing.

I still love it! 💕

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the tip, I will try that! Not sure, If it is wide enough 😂. Just got my backpack and will start training.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back