• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confused about the cost given for some of the albergues

Tonya Ringle

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
First time post. My husband, my 13 year old daugher and I are planning our first camino for late May of 2016.

I have bought a guide book and am pouring through it as well as other resources on this site. Love the PDF that has a complete list of albergues!

I am a little confused as to the pricing for the double and triple rooms. Is the euro quote for the entire room or for each person? I am thinking that the quote is for the whole room unless otherwise specified, because 35-45 euros per person would seem pricey for a hostel!

Also, I have some concerns for my daughter in the dormitory albergues. Are they safe? I am sure that her father (63) and myself (47) will be sleeping VERY soundly after walking 20 miles per day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I just finished our pilgrimage from Sarria to Santiago in May. The term “Hostel” in Spain is a small hotel. A “Youth Hostel” in Spain is what I know as a hostel (a room with 4 to many bunk beds and shared with strangers”. The Albergues we stayed in ranged from 4 bunks to 19 bunks and charged 10€ per person. When we stayed in the Hostel San Palo in Lavacolla we paid 39€ for the two of us and this was a typical privet hotel room.

Personally I believe all of you will be fine "safe" in the Albergues. You could double up with your daughter (head to foot) and share a bunk with her or put her on the top bunk.

I know many people do walk 20 miles (32 Kms.) a day, but I hope this was a typo on your part. We walked about 10-12 miles (17-19Kms) a day and there were times I wished I could have taken more time to see more of the towns we passed and talked longer with the people we met along the way.

Buen Camino

Some Albergues have small rooms for families, some have male and female dorms, most are co-ed. There is little or no privacy. It's the same with hostels. There shouldn't be any problems because pilgrims look out for one another especially children. If you're really concerned, try to get bunks along a wall and put her against the wall with one of you on top and one beside. Buen Camino

PS. 20 kilometers is a more realistic and doable distance.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many albergues have private rooms with two to four beds, some with their own bathroom. When I walked the Francés with my two companions, we often stayed in these. At times, there were only two beds but the hospitalero was willing to put in a mattress or cot to accommodate the extra person. I believe the cost was per person.

I am a little confused as to the pricing for the double and triple rooms. Is the euro quote for the entire room or for each person? I am thinking that the quote is for the whole room unless otherwise specified, because 35-45 euros per person would seem pricey for a hostel!

35-45€ per room is fairly common for a "hostal" room but as has been noted, a hostal is more like a small, family run hotel. Albergues are more like youth hostels, normally with rooms full of bunk beds. Those usually cost 10€ per person or less. If you find a hostal room that can hold three people, you might prefer the privacy iand it may be worth the little extra you pay. A fair number of private albergues also have private rooms for about the same cost (about 40€)

Finally, albergues are pretty safe places and I would not be concerned for my daughter's safety in one. (of course, I can say that because I don't have a daughter and my son is a black belt karate instructor, but you get the point).

Last edited:
Tonya. Welcome on the forum
Walk the Portugues caminho instead of the French..there are albergues but everywhere are hostals and pensions.
Average costs 30 till 40 euros per room.
Some of the albergues on the Lisbon to Porto leg have rooms instead of common areas. The Portugese caminho is quiet. About 10% of the entire Santiago going pilgrims walk the Portugese. The life in Portugal is fairly cheaper than in Spain. The Portugese people are very kind. The food is delicious.
My wife and I walked the Portugese twice. We just are back and can't wait to go back. No bedrace every day to find a bed.

Earplugs is an option against snorring co sleepers in an albergue. 2€ costs

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wouldn't worry about your daughter staying in albergues with you. It really is safe. Like others have said, people really do look out for one another - and you will get to know people as you walk, so chances are you will be staying with people you know before too long. And alberques are a great place to meet people. Your daughter might be initially nervous or uncomfortable about the communal living situation, but she won't be the only one - a lot of people are hesitant about that. It becomes very normal very quickly though.

The question I'd like answered is if "per day " the same as "per stay" when staying at a private pension? Does anybody know?

If you stay in alburgues for most of the time & you can grow a custom to it, the cost difference will seem high on the hostels

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First time post. My husband, my 13 year old daugher and I are planning our first camino for late May of 2016.

I have bought a guide book and am pouring through it as well as other resources on this site. Love the PDF that has a complete list of albergues!

Also, I have some concerns for my daughter in the dormitory albergues. Are they safe? I am sure that her father (63) and myself (47) will be sleeping VERY soundly after walking 20 miles per day.

Hi Tonya
My friend arrived back from walking from Leon to Santiago a couple of weeks ago. We really didnt know what to expect, being our first Camino. We're both in our 60's and really not sure what to expect. We stayed in Albergues, sometimes lucky enough (on occasions) to share a dorm with say 2 other people, sometimes with a lot more people. There were lots of single pilgrims and also married couples. Some couples choose say a room (if available) for themselves or share with say 2 others - I think if you arrive at albergues early afteroon you have more of a chance of getting these rooms. Obviously you pay a little more if you want the privacy. We paid between 7 and 10 euros (one municipal albergue we paid 5 euros !). We only stayed at a private guest house on the one occasion - the Albergues were more than adequate. We were not sure initially about sharing in a large dorm, but really we had nothing to worry about in terms of changing and getting dressed etc. People just avert their eyes and basically are too damn tired and first thing in the morning everyone is too pre-occupied with packing their backpacks and everything else! Everyone was respectful of others, we had no complaints, no real queues for bathroom/toilet, although quite possibly Albergues will get busier as summer kicks. Honestly, what we experienced was truly amazing, really life changing ------ and yes the Alburgues were very, very safe and when walking we felt very safe. You will have a wonderful time.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I would think anything you see priced at 35-45 euros a night would not be an albergue. That is a hostel, hotel or pension house. Private rooms and private baths (sometimes shared baths). Albergues run anywhere from about 5-6 euros a night for the municipals, to 8-15 for private ones. Pretty much all the albergues, municipal or private are a dormitory type configuration. Anywhere from 10-40 pilgrims in one room. Snoring, farting, chatting etc. Getting up in the middle of the night for bathroom calls and getting up very early rustling around making noise. Lines to use the toilet, shower or even the sink. Just letting you know if you have never experienced communal living before. Takes a bit of flexibility and open-mindness. Honestly though, it ain't nothing but a thing and they seem very safe to me and your daughter will be sleeping right next to you. I would have the hospitalero put her in the bunk above you.
Twenty miles a day? Sounds like a lot. Don't burn yourselves out too quick.
cheers
Camino again 053.jpg Camino again 039.jpg

Hi Tonya.. on the PDF list of albergues many have an email address.. Why don't you email a few a find out about the prices.
Safety?? nothing to worry about. All pilgrims have walked a lot and are too tired to do anything else. Next to that.. there is a lot of respect for each other.. as person, as a pilgrim. Respect for each other and for each other's things....
Just have fun walking... enjoy the day and try tho to worry too much before hand.. Just go and experience. All will turn out well..

The question I'd like answered is if "per day " the same as "per stay" when staying at a private pension? Does anybody know?
Same as anything else. Check-in time and check-out time, whatever those may be. I guess you could call it "per day".

Hi Tonya.. on the PDF list of albergues many have an email address.. Why don't you email a few a find out about the prices.
Safety?? nothing to worry about. All pilgrims have walked a lot and are too tired to do anything else. Next to that.. there is a lot of respect for each other.. as person, as a pilgrim. Respect for each other and for each other's things....
Just have fun walking... enjoy the day and try tho to worry too much before hand.. Just go and experience. All will turn out well..
ha ha.....I guess the young couple in one of the albergues I stayed at on my first Camino didn't know they were supposed to be "too tired" ha ha :D

My wife and I just finished our pilgrimage from Sarria to Santiago in May. The term “Hostel” in Spain is a small hotel. A “Youth Hostel” in Spain is what I know as a hostel (a room with 4 to many bunk beds and shared with strangers”. The Albergues we stayed in ranged from 4 bunks to 19 bunks and charged 10€ per person. When we stayed in the Hostel San Palo in Lavacolla we paid 39€ for the two of us and this was a typical privet hotel room.

Personally I believe all of you will be fine "safe" in the Albergues. You could double up with your daughter (head to foot) and share a bunk with her or put her on the top bunk.

I know many people do walk 20 miles (32 Kms.) a day, but I hope this was a typo on your part. We walked about 10-12 miles (17-19Kms) a day and there were times I wished I could have taken more time to see more of the towns we passed and talked longer with the people we met along the way.

Buen Camino
Hi, this is not quite related , it is just that I seen you started from Sarria which is where my brother and I are wanting to start from. We have walked from SjPDP to Santa Domigo last October. We are planning our route now . As you have just done it, would you have a itinery that I could work off? And how. Many days did it take. We seem to loose 4days just to get to the starting point.... I would love yo see your walk, .,totally understand if you can't .. You could email denise.hollyburnphysio@gmail.com. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As someone who walked with a 13 month old, I can assure you the albergues will be MORE than safe for a 13 year old. Heck, most TOWNS you'll be in will be more than safe, let alone the albergues.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back