• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confusion about the Starting Place

peregrina2000

Staff member
I need some help from those who know the Camino del Norte. The Mundicamino website lists two different routes:

Route 1 -- Hendaya; Hondarribia; Pasajes de San Juan/San Pedro; San Sebastian

Route 2 -- Hendaya; Irun; Oyarzun; Astigarraga; San Sebastian

My confusion -- We plan to start in Irun, but would like to walk Route 1, that is, through Hondarribia and Pasajes. Is Route 1 accessible from Irun?

Many thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
of course. Both start at the Puente Santiago, the border between France and Spain. Route 2 goes into the centre of Irun; route 1 turns right along the estuary. So from Irun, simply walk along the road taken by route 2 to the border and turn left! See Michelin if you don't have a decent map.

Confusion about starting place on Northern Route

The answer is yes, one can walk from Irun via Pasajes to San Sebastian, and that is the correct route. However, there is a regular ferry running from Hendaye Plage direct to Hondarribia, bypassing Irun. Astigarraga is not on the regular Camino del Norte, but on an interior route joining the Camino Frances at Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
peregrina,

Don't get confused about Irun and Hendaya: there's only a bridge between the two cities as Peter said in his message.
Start at the train-station in Hendaya with your back to the station and go to the right: you can't miss the bridge of St.Jacques and once over the bridge you are in Irun. We took the route 1 but skipped Hondarribia.......
Good luck!
See the first few pictures at http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/ ... te%202006/

We started at the trainstation in Hendaya.
Its a great route!!
Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
peregrina2000 said:
Paul, What time of year did you walk?
Thanks again!

Peregrina,

We walked in ...............May 2006 !
Just fine weather and the places at sea are not crowded then!

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.