• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Confusion plus

Frankieg

Time of past OR future Camino
June / July 2013 with my husband Alan
Hello Camino Friends
Well this year has started and I have 5 months of waiting before our Camino starts original plans was from SJPDP to Santiago, now a friend from France told us we should start from Gers ,Auch, his parents lives between Auch and Mirande and we could stay with them of a few days, I have been searching information about this route and I must say I am doing lots of reading about the Camino even to a point of confusing myself ( it's a great confusion) :lol: I can't keep away from all the response one page leads to another. My biggest problem this time is where to start my friend sent a map but it's by car. My question is Which Route do I follow that will meet with Camino France? Le Puy? Del Norte? etc.. Now you see my confusion?? I think I am doing too much reading? Also I read there are Bears in that region and dogs to be aware of! Is that correct? Some one please put me out of my misery and point me to the right forum !! We arrive in Paris on the 28th of May we have 3 months to do the Camino. How do I get from Paris to Auch or there about. I had all plans from SJPDP and now I am a little worried about the whole Pyrenese my husband seems to think we'll be ok we are doing lots of walking every chance we get and trying to be in the best frame of mind, spirit, and body i hope he's right. :roll:
Sorry about my rambling on..
Buen Camino to all

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure whether I understand right all your confusion.....

But if you will start on the "Voie d'Arles" or Via Tolosana - passing through Auch -, you could perfectly well afterwards join the Camino Frances before the crossing of the Pyrenees: in Oloron Saint Marie, you should then follow the "Voie du piémont Pyrénéen" which will lead you to Saint Jean Pied de Port, the starting point for many pilgrims walking on the Camino Frances.

(you could of course stay on the way from Auch via Somport to Puente la Reina to join the Camino Frances later on - or join from Oloron directly Irun to walk on the Camino del Norte... plenty of possibilities)

Three months will give you plenty of time, so you could probably start in Arles or in Montpellier and finish the whole camino from France to Santiago.

Just be aware that on the Via Tolosana, in general, it might be better to make a reservation by phone to be sure to have a bed and a supper - often proposed together in France - (well, I walked part of the route, from Montpellier to Castres, in July last year and generally, there was no problem finding accomodation).

Bon chemin, buen camino!

If you have 3 months to walk I strongly suggest to start from Le Puy En Valee. The Arles route is different and for your first time the Le Puy route is much better.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Le Puy would be great! And don't worry about the bears. I shooed them critters away back in 2010.

I'm excited for you, whichever route you decide on.

Rob

robertt said:
Le Puy would be great! And don't worry about the bears. I shooed them critters away back in 2010.

I'm excited for you, whichever route you decide on.

Rob

Hi Rob
Thank you for shooing the bears my confidence is coming back after reading the replies specially yours! I will study Le Puy It would be a great challenge to walk whole Camino.

FatmaG said:
Not sure whether I understand right all your confusion.....

But if you will start on the "Voie d'Arles" or Via Tolosana - passing through Auch -, you could perfectly well afterwards join the Camino Frances before the crossing of the Pyrenees: in Oloron Saint Marie, you should then follow the "Voie du piémont Pyrénéen" which will lead you to Saint Jean Pied de Port, the starting point for many pilgrims walking on the Camino Frances.

(you could of course stay on the way from Auch via Somport to Puente la Reina to join the Camino Frances later on - or join from Oloron directly Irun to walk on the Camino del Norte... plenty of possibilities)

Three months will give you plenty of time, so you could probably start in Arles or in Montpellier and finish the whole camino from France to Santiago.

Just be aware that on the Via Tolosana, in general, it might be better to make a reservation by phone to be sure to have a bed and a supper - often proposed together in France - (well, I walked part of the route, from Montpellier to Castres, in July last year and generally, there was no problem finding accomodation).

Bon chemin, buen camino!

Thank you FatmaG for the informations I will take your advise and do some reading about the area I was sent this map by my friend today the link below. I can't wait till May to start our walk and of course I can't keep away from this forum and trying to learn as much as i can about the walk, Alan (my husband) is determine to take a tent etc. so we will be doing some camping along the way where ever possible oh don't worry we are weighing every thing and will keep to the minimum weight.
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/Lesc ... emins.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May I confuse you a little more. There is no whole Camino.

There are many places which have gained popularity as starting places for walkers but the Camino starts from your own door, you may be doing the early sections by auto-mobile and/or plane. Historically pilgrims used whatever transport method they could and boats were a necessity especially if you were going to Jerusalem, the Venetians almost had a monopoly on that route.

So start where you like and if you want to start walking from your friend's house that is just as good a place to start as anywhere else. Johnnie Walker lists more than 200 different starting places for pilgrims to Santiago last year.

William Marques said:
May I confuse you a little more. There is no whole Camino.

There are many places which have gained popularity as starting places for walkers but the Camino starts from your own door, you may be doing the early sections by auto-mobile and/or plane. Historically pilgrims used whatever transport method they could and boats were a necessity especially if you were going to Jerusalem, the Venetians almost had a monopoly on that route.

So start where you like and if you want to start walking from your friend's house that is just as good a place to start as anywhere else. Johnnie Walker lists more than 200 different starting places for pilgrims to Santiago last year.

Maybe I should start keeping tracks of the k's i am walking at home in preparation for the Camino and then add it all together!! It would be interesting to see when I come back how many k's all up we walked. Thank you for your input

you could of course stay on the way from Auch via Somport to Puente la Reina to join the Camino Frances
It is about 160 km from Auch to Somport, then another 170 to Puente la Reina and the intersection with the Camino Frances. It is then 683 km to Santiago. The total will be about 1,000 km.

Buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Historically pilgrims used whatever transport method they could and boats were a necessity

Ha, I like this. I went Santiago --> Muxia --> Finisterre and I was so tired of walking after lounging on the beaches of Muxia. I really wanted to rent a small sailboat and just sail to Finisterre. :p But I didn't think they'd have given me the certificate for the Finisterre walk if I didn't actually, you know, walk, the whole way.

falcon269 said:
you could of course stay on the way from Auch via Somport to Puente la Reina to join the Camino Frances
It is about 160 km from Auch to Somport, then another 170 to Puente la Reina and the intersection with the Camino Frances. It is then 683 km to Santiago. The total will be about 1,000 km.

Buen camino.

Thank you falcon269 every bit of helps and knowledge from the forum will help me make up my mind where to start at least I have something to work on.
Have a great day
Frankie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Frankleg,

Only you can determine your way, not your mates/ friends or relatives , only you and the old bloke.
Just do it mate and stop worrying about somethings you cannot control.
Make up your mind how much time you have , divide it by 20km a day [ that allows you sightseeing ] and start from there.
When you have company on the camino its better not to talk about km's.
We started from Le Puy and felt very humble when two 78 year old Italians talked about at dinner just before Ostabat how hard it was when they started in Geneva with the bad weather.
They met us again in Santiago as they were doing only 15-20km Day..

How far had they walked ????????????

So please get rid of the km's you will walk from your mind ....nobody will bat a eyelid

The other interesting part was around 30% of our companions on the 1600km DID NOT get a certificate until they reached Muxia/Finasterre.
They were really not interested , they knew what they had done and thats it.
Started in Geneva , Mt Blanc , Leon or Le Puy and finished on the coast.

The camino is private Frankleg , it will change you if you walk all the way to Santiago unassisted
and you will then assist your loved ones on doing the same.

Hope the rain has finished and enjoy the next few months after you start.

Buen Camino,
David

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi David!
I have tried to reply twice to your response both time I lost the reply due to internet connection so I am giving up now :( I think I wrote a big essay all I will say is thank you for your advise and I am looking forward to my Camino I am as ready as I will ever be and keeping a very positive mind and attitude about the whole thing I will let you know if the walk changes me in any way I have 3 months to enjoy the biggest challenge of my life the main thing is I will have my mate with me to experience this incredible journey.
Buen Camino
Have a great weekend
Frankie

Thornley said:
Hi Frankleg,

Only you can determine your way, not your mates/ friends or relatives , only you and the old bloke.
Just do it mate and stop worrying about somethings you cannot control.
Make up your mind how much time you have , divide it by 20km a day [ that allows you sightseeing ] and start from there.
When you have company on the camino its better not to talk about km's.
We started from Le Puy and felt very humble when two 78 year old Italians talked about at dinner just before Ostabat how hard it was when they started in Geneva with the bad weather.
They met us again in Santiago as they were doing only 15-20km Day..

How far had they walked ????????????

So please get rid of the km's you will walk from your mind ....nobody will bat a eyelid

The other interesting part was around 30% of our companions on the 1600km DID NOT get a certificate until they reached Muxia/Finasterre.
They were really not interested , they knew what they had done and thats it.
Started in Geneva , Mt Blanc , Leon or Le Puy and finished on the coast.

The camino is private Frankleg , it will change you if you walk all the way to Santiago unassisted
and you will then assist your loved ones on doing the same.

Hope the rain has finished and enjoy the next few months after you start.

Buen Camino,
David

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back