• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Connected . . . or disconnected?

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
At home, my computer and I are inseparable. My main interest involves doing a lot of online research; and, of course, I check into the forum every so often. I email my friends and stay in touch with them. If the internet connection goes off it’s panic stations until I can get online again.

So why is it, when I’m on a camino, I do not miss my computer, or the internet, for one single moment? I am not in the least bit interested in checking into the forum (you can all play quite nicely without me), or writing a blog (who cares?), or reviewing this place or that place.

This is beginning to worry me a little bit. Should I be worried? Who is the real me? When I am at home on my computer, or disconnected while on a camino?

I send a text to my husband every day or so, to let him know I am all right. Every café/bar has a TV, so I see what’s going on in the world.

I DO love my smartphone; wouldn’t go anywhere without it. It’s my camera, my Kindle, my Spanish/English dictionary, my flashlight, my maps, AND my wifi: like sending a WhatsApp to a camino buddy.

I just don’t feel the need to be “connected” all the time on a camino. Am I the only one?

Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At home, my computer and I are inseparable. My main interest involves doing a lot of online research; and, of course, I check into the forum every so often. I email my friends and stay in touch with them. If the internet connection goes off it’s panic stations until I can get online again.

So why is it, when I’m on a camino, I do not miss my computer, or the internet, for one single moment? I am not in the least bit interested in checking into the forum (you can all play quite nicely without me), or writing a blog (who cares?), or reviewing this place or that place.

This is beginning to worry me a little bit. Should I be worried? Who is the real me? When I am at home on my computer, or disconnected while on a camino?

I send a text to my husband every day or so, to let him know I am all right. Every café/bar has a TV, so I see what’s going on in the world.

I DO love my smartphone; wouldn’t go anywhere without it. It’s my camera, my Kindle, my Spanish/English dictionary, my flashlight, my maps, AND my wifi: like sending a WhatsApp to a camino buddy.

I just don’t feel the need to be “connected” all the time on a camino. Am I the only one?

Jill
Nope Jill, I'm exactly the same!
That makes at least 2 of us perfectly normal! ??? :eek::D;)

Long answer:
Shaw said "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" which perfectly sums me up. I also spend a lot of time online researching, learning, preparing, etc to figure out how to do things (finding myself) but when I step onto a trail I know it's my time to simply 'be' and enjoy the moment and put preparation into practice (creating myself). I wish I did it more than I do but at least its an aspiration I have.

Short answer:
Me too :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Jill

Disconnecting from the electronic leashes we all have is one reason I am doing the Camino, disconnect from the electronic world and reconnect with the natural world ...people :)
Buen Camino !!!

All smart phones have a "OFF" button. You can even turn them stone-cold OFF. In that mode they consume no battery charge.

I agree with those who advise having this tool with you, in case you need it, or want it. I started using just a old-school flip phone. I added an iPod Touch the following year for photos, dictionaries, and online use when free Wi-Fi was available. Finally, in September 2015, I succumbed and bought my first smart phone, an iPhone 6S.

While I am thrilled with the "Swiss Army Knife" like capabilities of these invaluable reference tools, mine travels in Airplane Mode in a case, in a pocket most of the day. I have experimented enough with GPS to know it works well. But, I much prefer simply following the Camino markings.

I use my phone mostly for making lodging reservations and finding specific street addresses when entering a city or large town. I also us Google Translate a lot. But, during the day, when I am walking, the only function I use is the camera. I save returning e-mail or text messages for the evening, when I am sitting with in a cafe with a cold Cerveza or vino tinto.

Now that the smart phone cameras are as good as my Canon digital camera, that device has become surplus to needs. Carrying one device saves weight and reduces complexity too.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Jill

No. I text home daily normal and wi fi widely available so whats app no problem

No, Jill--there may be many of us in the same boat! You describe my experience pretty well. I use technology to write, research, connect, plan, and inform myself--often coming on the forum briefly during the day when another process grinds away...but when I walk mostly I just want to walk and a thrilled t leave it all behind.

Who is the real me? When I am at home on my computer, or disconnected while on a camino?
Both!:)
Whatever you experience each moment is 'real,' however contradictory.
Life and who we call 'me' is such a fluid moving thing. It's actually not so different from the day by day hour by hour swings on the Camino: I sometimes feel like many of the Seven Dwarfs one after the other as the day unfolds...SleepyDopeyHappyGrumpyBashful...so which one of those is the 'real me?'
All of them, but never for long. Same with the hundreds of other possibilities. I just hope that in the long run the wise kind wholesome characters win, and that depends on which ones I feed.....

On my first Camino, I had a small Nokia that was totally switched off in FLY mode during the day, but allowed me to follow time and send text home as to where I was. Had only one time when I took a wrong turn and went off the track. I thought it silly that pilgrims would storm into a cafe and ask as a first;" whats the wifi password !??." - without any greeting, like someone was on fire !!

This time around, my family has invested in a bloody nice smartphone for me, and I have gotten used to using it a lot...
On training hikes I have gotten reliant on regularily checking my position for fear of going astray, which might not be nescessary.
I am curious if I will go techno-sober again this time on the Camino. I hope so, because I will be forced to think of battery time, and to that end I have a Battery Bank. In this way it will be my bank that gets stolen, not my phone...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought it silly that pilgrims would storm into a cafe and ask as a first;" whats the wifi password !??." - without any greeting, like someone was on fire
The people who do this (and then sit there absorbed in their tiny screen rather than interacting with their fellow pilgrims) are the ones who give technology a bad name.
Fortunately they are a very small minority.
I am curious if I will go techno-sober again this time on the Camino. I hope so
If you're asking the question, @Stivandrer, you probably won't have anything to worry about. It's the people who don't wonder about device addiction who are more likely to end up addicted.

Definitely not the only one. I use my smartphone as you mentioned.

This is the advice I give to people:

Option One: Drop the tech and leave your smartphone or tablet at home, going completely without technology, if you can, and enjoy the peace and quiet. But beware, technology will be all around you. Option Two: Take along your smartphone and treat your Camino like any other day in your life: head down, looking at your phone, doing whatever it is you do, and miss out on a lot of why you are on the Camino.
Or, take the middle route. Take your smartphone along, always keep it on silent mode, use it only as you need, and don’t let it distract you or other walkers of the Camino.

When training at home or racing solo, I listen to audio books incessantly. When you train twenty hours a week like I do, or when I’m running a 100‑mile endurance race, listening to a book goes quite nicely. These are typically books I’ve not yet had time to read and do have the time to listen to while running. However, on my Camino I purposely went without audio books—for the duration. I mean, what you are there for? Take it all in and enjoy the moment. The Camino de Santiago is mysterious, capable of healing, and of opening your heart. Drop the distractions—as much as you possibly can.

Buen Camino!!!

When I daily walk to my job, I never put on earphones and listen to music, I have my own setlist in my head, so I think I will be saved next time around.....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Try to remember that everyone has their own opinion about electronics on the Camino.
This subject comes up regularly...and often goes down hill fast.
It is fine to post your preferences...but try to respect the practices of others.

Your way is simply that...your way.

I have done various ways (no tech at all, only emergency mobile, full tech equipment) to walk The Way :rolleyes:. The one thing that always 'got to me' was, especially after a longer pilgrimage, coming home and having to face a full email inbox and having to work through them. I am a freelancer and I get a lot of work related emails plus the usual spam and newsletters. After three days at home, I was typically ready for another camino ...
Since 2014 I take either a tablet or -gasp- a lightweight laptop with me and dedicate 10-15min per day to work, works for me and I don't have anymore that threaded mountain awaiting me when I come home. Works for me, only you can decide what works for you. Buen Camino, SY

I also spend a lot of time on my computer when home and I have a old dumb-phone. I take it on the Camino, to give me the time and wake me up. It's completely shut and away during the day. I often think of letting it behind next time... there are so many ways to get by without it! How were people doing before wifi, phones and stuffs? They were connected with each other all the time. Maybe it's partly why we don't need electronics so much on the Camino?

It’s my camera, my Kindle, my Spanish/English dictionary, my flashlight, my maps, AND my wifi: like sending a WhatsApp to a camino buddy.
Disconnected, you say?? ;)

Fortunately they are a very small minority.
I'd say the contrary... I was shocked and saddened last year to see how many people were on their phone. Couldn't even sit down for a 5-min break without waving the **** thing! I stopped counting times when I sat in silence waiting for everyone to drop their phone. :( Since we entered the Wifi area, accommodations make it a selling point. I personally love the ones who have a sign saying they don't have it because they want to talk to people. (doesn't it already say something???)

I guess it's hard to realize because it's part of our daily life, but electronics have changed the way we live so much! The Camino itself has changed so much on that particular point in the past 4 years... It's life moving on, but I find it takes away a bit of the Way's Spirit.
Everyone does what s-he wants and I'm not trying to say what people should or shouldn't do, but again, what we all do together makes a difference. Everyone choosing to be able to use their phone at all time leaves the Way to be just another common place... and leaves me to wait for you guys to check your virtual life to be able to meet you live!

full

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also spend a lot of time on my computer when home and I have a old dumb-phone. I take it on the Camino, to give me the time and wake me up. It's completely shut and away during the day. I often think of letting it behind next time... there are so many ways to get by without it! How were people doing before wifi, phones and stuffs? They were connected with each other all the time. Maybe it's partly why we don't need electronics so much on the Camino?

I'd say the contrary... I was shocked and saddened last year to see how many people were on their phone. Couldn't even sit down for a 5-min break without waving the **** thing! I stopped counting times when I sat in silence waiting for everyone to drop their phone. :( Since we entered the Wifi area, accommodations make it a selling point. I personally love the ones who have a sign saying they don't have it because they want to talk to people. (doesn't it already say something???)

I guess it's hard to realize because it's part of our daily life, but electronics have changed the way we live so much! The Camino itself has changed so much on that particular point in the past 4 years... It's life moving on, but I find it takes away a bit of the Way's Spirit.
Everyone does what s-he wants and I'm not trying to say what people should or shouldn't do, but again, what we all do together makes a difference. Everyone choosing to be able to use their phone at all time leaves the Way to be just another common place... and leaves me to wait for you guys to check your virtual life to be able to meet you live!

full
Agreed.
I frequently saw pilgrims who spent hours at the albergue with their faces buried in devices. Can't say I understood why someone would prefer that over roaming about outside on a beautiful afternoon, or enjoying a liquid refreshment at a cafe.

Hi Marion, thanks for your reply!
But, umm, I don’t understand your comment:

My camera is not connected to the internet.

The books on my Kindle App are all offline. No need to carry heavy paper books anymore if I can download Kindle books before I leave home.

My dictionary is offline.

My flashlight does not have to be connected to the internet to work ;).

My maps are offline.

The wifi is to be able to stay in touch (for free) with friends I’ve made on the camino, who may be ahead or behind me.

Just saying, in my original post, that I don’t feel the need to stay connected to the internet every day (for work, hobbies, research, emailing, blogging, bookings, reviews, etc etc).

If you see me on the camino, and I have my face buried in my device :p, it’s probably because I’m reading a Kindle book :D. I will quickly put it away if you sit down beside me :).

Jill

I stopped counting times when I sat in silence waiting for everyone to drop their phone. :( Since we entered the Wifi area, accommodations make it a selling point. I personally love the ones who have a sign saying they don't have it because they want to talk to people. (doesn't it already say something???)
I find it takes away a bit of the Way's Spirit.
My experience has been in early spring, and perhaps there's a different demographic out there at that time of year. Three were some super-connected people but not so many. That said, I do agree with what you say about how technology has changed the Camino culture. We had a slightly fiery exchange about this not long ago. It's a 'hot button' that brings out big opinions and defensiveness.

If you see me on the camino, and I have my face buried in my device :p, it’s probably because I’m reading a Kindle book :D. I will quickly put it away if you sit down beside me :).
I'm pretty sure I'd not intrude by doing that to someone--whether they are on a device or reading a book. Unless there were no-where else to sit. Then I'd ask.

Buen Camino everyone, connected or not.
:DAnd let's talk to each other. Connected or not. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Jill
I feel I touched you in a negative way with what I intended to be a gentle teasing poke... I'm sorry!

But, umm, I don’t understand your comment
Well, it's that I take the word "connected" in a wider way, not just connected to the Internet. Your answer to my comment made me more aware about this fact: Thank you!
For me, being a pilgrim is the occasion to disconnect from most of what makes our daily life in our society and the Internet is just a little part of it. The original meaning of "pilgrim" is "one who goes through the land" and was used in the meaning "stranger". On a spiritual plan, it means to quit society and become a stranger to the "normal" world. It's stepping back from usual occupations to step into present time; living in the world without belonging to it and experiencing a link to "something else". This is what I tend to as I take my first step on the Way. Leaving normal activities behind, being here and now, embracing the World...
And so, here is the why!

All that being said, I do have a camera and a phone to call and give news I'm still alive...
And, true smartphones can do a lot! You obviously save yourself a lot of weight! ;)

To the pleasure of disrupting your kindle-reading! ;)

full

This afternoon. Boadilla del Camino. On the terrace of the albergue bar waiting for my menu to arrive. A young American man walked on to the terrace, halted, looked around then declared in a loud sneering sing-song voice: "Hey! Everyone's on their cellphones. Keep it up - Apple loves you!" In general I am a traditionalist old fart but face-to-face with such a paragon of subtlety, tact and wit I'll take the internet every time.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back