• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Connecting flight time in Madrid

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
I have friends on Iberia with a connecting flight of 1 hr ten minutes. They are coming in from USA early in the morning. I have been told that many flights from USA come into Madrid a bit early. They do have a connecting flight into Santiago and only have carry on luggage. However they will be making the connection the day before Easter. Flights are already booked. They have set up car service from SCQ to Sarria where we will connect. Does anyone think the connection is doable? Any suggestions if they do not make the connection?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This connection will probably require going from Terminal 4S (the satellite terminal where international arrivals and customs are) to T4. That involves several flights on an escalator and a train ride (but the trains come very frequently). I have made similar connection times, and I have missed a flight with similar connection times. When I missed my flight, the Iberia personnel were terrific -- they pulled our luggage and got us on a Vueling flight out of T2, (yes it was hectic, but we made it!) so that we wound up just being about an hour later than our original reservation. This was a flight to Lisbon, so there may have been more choices than Madrid to Santiago.

I am assuming this is all one ticket, and if it is, Iberia will be the ones to have to fix the problem if your friends miss their connection. But your friends should have a list of all the next flights from Madrid to Santiago, including airlines other than Iberia, so that they can see what the options are when they actually arrive. You are right, they may make it fine. If they are going to miss the connection, there will be an Iberia agent greeting them at the arrival gate with the new information on the next flight. But knowing what is available is going to give them the knowledge they need to know whether Iberia's offer to re-route is the best that can be done. Iberia will have a financial incentive to keep the passengers on an Iberia plane, but if you know there is, say, an Easy Jet flight leaving sooner, it would be worth it to try to get them to move you to that flight.

This connection will probably require going from Terminal 4S (the satellite terminal where international arrivals and customs are) to T4. That involves several flights on an escalator and a train ride (but the trains come very frequently). I have made similar connection times, and I have missed a flight with similar connection times. When I missed my flight, the Iberia personnel were terrific -- they pulled our luggage and got us on a Vueling flight out of T2, (yes it was hectic, but we made it!) so that we wound up just being about an hour later than our original reservation. This was a flight to Lisbon, so there may have been more choices than Madrid to Santiago.

I am assuming this is all one ticket, and if it is, Iberia will be the ones to have to fix the problem if your friends miss their connection. But your friends should have a list of all the next flights from Madrid to Santiago, including airlines other than Iberia, so that they can see what the options are when they actually arrive. You are right, they may make it fine. If they are going to miss the connection, there will be an Iberia agent greeting them at the arrival gate with the new information on the next flight. But knowing what is available is going to give them the knowledge they need to know whether Iberia's offer to re-route is the best that can be done. Iberia will have a financial incentive to keep the passengers on an Iberia plane, but if you know there is, say, an Easy Jet flight leaving sooner, it would be worth it to try to get them to move you to that flight.

Their booking, except a short flight in USA, is all on Iberia. However, the first segment is American and the flights were issued by American. The overseas segment are code shared, except the sections between Madrid/Santiago which are Iberia only. Will they need clearance from American if a change is to be made? Since this is an Iberia only flight, can Iberia make the change themselves if they need to catch a different flight.

Will their really be an agent at the gate when they arrive to assist them if they can not make the flight? I do have the additional flights to give them. Thanks for that suggestion.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Their booking, except a short flight in USA, is all on Iberia. However, the first segment is American and the flights were issued by American. The overseas segment are code shared, except the sections between Madrid/Santiago which are Iberia only. Will they need clearance from American if a change is to be made? Since this is an Iberia only flight, can Iberia make the change themselves if they need to catch a different flight.

Will their really be an agent at the gate when they arrive to assist them if they can not make the flight? I do have the additional flights to give them. Thanks for that suggestion.

Hi, Marbe2, I always book my flights through American, they are code shared with Iberia. (Actually, I think you will see that the Madrid Santiago segment has an AA code share as well). But Iberia will handle the whole rebooking thing if they get off an Iberia plane in Madrid. As far as whether there will be an agent there, I can only tell you that has always been my experience. Sometimes there are agents there to give you rebooking information, but other times they are there with passes if you have a tight connection to let you jump the line in security and immigration. My memory is that they hold up a little sign with your destination rather than with your name, since there are frequently other passengers who are missing the same connection you are.

Hope your friend makes it -- have you found that there are good options for rebooking in case they do arrive late?

Hi, Marbe2, I always book my flights through American, they are code shared with Iberia. (Actually, I think you will see that the Madrid Santiago segment has an AA code share as well). But Iberia will handle the whole rebooking thing if they get off an Iberia plane in Madrid. As far as whether there will be an agent there, I can only tell you that has always been my experience. Sometimes there are agents there to give you rebooking information, but other times they are there with passes if you have a tight connection to let you jump the line in security and immigration. My memory is that they hold up a little sign with your destination rather than with your name, since there are frequently other passengers who are missing the same connection you are.

Hope your friend makes it -- have you found that there are good options for rebooking in case they do arrive late?

Thank you you Laurie! I will pass this information on to them! Yes, I have looked the flights up. There are two on Iberia later. One abt 11:30am and one at 4pm. There is also an 8:30am flight with Ryan air, but that is out of terminal 1 and as you know the luggage rules and seating are different. I am hoping that if they miss the original flight there would be room on the 11:30flight. However it is the day before Easter and not sure about availability...planes may be full.

Apparently, they would not allow them to reserve seats for the Madrid/Santiago segments? Will Iberia issue them and boarding passes for those segments in Boston?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apparently, they would not allow them to reserve seats for the Madrid/Santiago segments? Will Iberia issue them and boarding passes for those segments in Boston?

When I book through American and fly on Iberia, I cannot pre-book a seat on any of the Iberia segments. I get all my seat assignments when I check in for the first leg of the flight. So if they were able to get their seat selection for Boston to Madrid, they are one step ahead of me! But yes, they should get seat assignments when they check in at their first airport.

When I book through American and fly on Iberia, I cannot pre-book a seat on any of the Iberia segments. I get all my seat assignments when I check in for the first leg of the flight. So if they were able to get their seat selection for Boston to Madrid, they are one step ahead of me! But yes, they should get seat assignments when they check in at their first airport.
Thank you so much. I will relay your experience. Grateful!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back