• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Connecting Navarrenx/Ostabat - Oloron

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
Hola amigos!
Even if it was only 2 months ago that I actually walked part of the Le Puy way, I remember in a junction seeing waymarks for connecting to Oloron, I think it was somewhere between Ostabat and SJPP, but it might be anywhere between Navarrenx and SJPP.
Does anybody know where to get information about this route so as to enter Spain via Somport instead of Roncesvalles?
Thanks for any info!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Turn SSE in Navarrenx and you reach Oloron-Ste.-Marie. The GR system goes everywhere in France, so there will be one going from Navarrenx to Oloron, but you need to get the topographic map for the area. Several websites sell the maps, but I have not found them digitized on the web. The segment is about 21km on Google Maps walking. That route may or may not be the GR!

A French site says you basically walk the D115 between the two cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GR78 (Le chemin du Piemont) runs from SJPdP to Oloron St-Marie (and beyond)

You can pick it up just after Ostabat by walking the D918 south-east from Larceveau to Bunus (about 4km)

The D936 is the road connecting Navarrenx and Oloron, but I don't recommend walking it. (Although the GR78 crosses it about 4 km south of Gurs.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Or, as falcon269 helpfully points out, you can walk the back roads, (D2 to Jasses, D27 from there to Ledeuix, then D9 to Oloron Sainte-Marie) about 21-22 km.

Last edited:
Turn SSE in Navarrenx and you reach Oloron-Ste.-Marie. The GR system goes everywhere in France, so there will be one going from Navarrenx to Oloron, but you need to get the topographic map for the area. Several websites sell the maps, but I have not found them digitized on the web. The segment is about 21km on Google Maps walking. That route may or may not be the GR!

A French site says you basically walk the D115 between the two cities.
Have you checked this source for French digitalized maps on the web?
http://xn--iphignie-f1a.com/
Happy plotting!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow, thanks a million to all of you, this has been most useful information! I am in two minds, on the one hand, Navarrenx to Oloron is easy and practical, but the walk between Navarrenx and Ostabat/SJPP is particularly beautiful, even if it would take 4 or 5 extra days... It all sounds really exciting, I hope I can find the time to do it soon!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back