• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Connection times in Bayonne

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
Quick question for those with experience.

The train schedules for Bayonne say arrival from Paris at 6:29 pm and a departure to St Jean Pied de Port at 6:29 pm. Do they really stick to schedule or do they allow passengers to make that connection?

Thank you for any help. (Getting to St Jean PdP is not the easiest).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
French trains are deadly on-time. If it is not the same train and you have to change platforms, you will not be able to! I am surprised they don't match the arrival and departure times, but expect French trains to operate on schedule.

It is a very small station - only a few platforms. The train to StJPdP will not leave until after the other train arrives.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First, I do not know firsthand if the train to St. Jean waits for incoming trains. I do know that French trains are deadly on time. The station in Bayonne is medium size and has several platforms. The high speed TGV train will arrive at one platform; the train to St. Jean has its own track because it is a two-car regional train (usually), and will leave from another. I do not remember if changing platforms requires using an underground tunnel. Many stations in France have these tunnels, and if you are on the wrong platform, it takes a bit of time to get to another one, even in smaller stations.

For your peace of mind, I suggest that you contact the station or TGV. While it makes sense for the departing train to wait for one arriving at the same time, I have found that France is very rule oriented, and also they are quite proud that their trains run on time. If the schedule says 1829, I personally would expect the train to depart at that time unless the authorities told me otherwise. On the other hand, I don't see any trains from Paris arriving at 1829, so you might double check that arrival time. If you are on the 1708, you will have plenty of time.

Just to clarify, the train I'm looking at departs Paris CDG at 10:01, connects in Bordeaux and arrives Bayonne 18:29. I'm coming from Canada so getting the train at CDG is a bonus.

Thanks

I see that one. It is the 66611 from Bordeaux to St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port. It is the same train/route just passing through Bayonne, so if you have to switch trains in Bayonne, there will be time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

And if you've don't get your connection:
I've read good reports on Hotel Paris Madrid, out of the station and left across the parking lot. It is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois. Nothing fancy but clean and friendly, they speak English and it is very close to the train station - less than 50 meters.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

falcon269 said:
I see that one. It is the 66611 from Bordeaux to St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port. It is the same train/route just passing through Bayonne, so if you have to switch trains in Bayonne, there will be time.

Well, I went to book my tickets tonight and found that they moved the departure time from Bayonne to St Jean PDP up to 18:11. So it now leaves 18 minutes before the train from Bordeaux arrives.

Doesn't make sense, why would they do that?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The train I previously saw (66611 from Bordeaux) has this schedule from my search:

16h35 BORDEAUX ST JEAN

18h29 > 20h22 via BAYONNE
TER 66611 Transport de vélo
Durée : 05h05

21h40 ST JEAN PIED DE PORT
TER 67309 Transport de vélo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back