• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conques to St. Jean Pied de Port

enjo

Hello. I will be walking from Le Puy to Conques in September. Then we want to get to St. Jean Pied to Port to resume our walk. The only way that I have been able to find to get to St. Jean from Conques is to take a train from Figeac. You have to change twice to get to Bayonne and then another train to St. Jean. Has anyone come up with a better way. Perhaps there is better bus service from Conques to St. Jean. Please Help. Thank you. Nada from Vancouver Island. :?: :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think is a sus service or taxi from Conques to Rodez, and from there to Toulouse from there you have excellent train service to every where in France.

I know it is hard to believe, from all the discussion and pictures of Conques here in this forum, but it really is a tiny, tiny place with fewer than 75 year-round residents. So it has very poor transit connections; in fact we are lucky to have any at all, I suppose. Your best bet is to get to Figeac or Rodez - by taxi or by bus - and then train onwards.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year to get out of Conques, it was a school day I was leaving on, and I was able to catch the school bus earlyish to get to Rodez. From there I took a bus to Montauban- the bus station was right next door to the train station where they sold me the ticket, and the bus left a couple of hours before the next train. Then I was dropped off at the train station in Montauban from where I took a train in the direction of Toulouse (though I got off at Moissac.)

The other option that the Tourist Office suggested was to get a taxi to the St Christophe station, which is passed through by the Paris train- not sure about where that train goes through to in the opposite direction. The taxi wasn't all that expensive to St Christophe.

It won't be all that straightforward getting out of Conques, and it will take several changes of bus/train- but it is possible.
Margaret

Last july me and my wife (47 and 50 years old) I walked from le puy till Cahors and had to go from there straight to st Jean. I did a lot of research but could nog find any convenient way to get there bij public transport. In the end we decided to hitch hike.
In the end we had a lovely day. The longest we wait was one hour, but every time we were taken by friendly people. It was a nice adventure and I can suggest it to anyone.

More options if you walk from Conques to Decazville (the next "stop" on the GR65) - a horrible town but much bigger and with train station.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back