• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Consider sandals, the "third" option

What's your Camino footwear?

• I wear (will wear) boots and I love them.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • I wear (will wear) hiking shoes/trail runners and I love them.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I wear (will wear) hiking sandals and I love them.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I wear (will wear) boots or hiking shoes/trail runners and I do NOT love them.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have tried hiking sandals, and they did not work for me.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I would never consider hiking/backpacking in sandals.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I had never considered hiking/backpacking in sandals before, but now I will!

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

saltwaterpearl

Here kitty, kitty.....
I’ve never loved hiking boots. My feet feel claustrophobic in them, and vigilance against foot fatigue, foot pain and blisters was an ever-present anxiety. My toes felt tortured and imprisoned, even in my wide-toe box Keen boots. As I’ve gotten older, after years of hiking, my feet change sizes and spread more readily throughout the day, which complicates a reliable boot fitting. And post-hike soreness and throbbing, the toe pain (sometimes shooting, big toes), chronic calluses/blisters (little toes), and top of foot numbness (despite adjusting laces, it would last for weeks after a 10 day backpack outing), when long-distance hiking, have led me to abandon boots altogether. I finally gave up believing this was the “norm”.

I’ve been very pleased with my Brooks Cascadia 9 trail runners. Those mesh tops let my toes spread and flex without pressure. They’ve been a huge relief. I feel lighter and more agile, with cooler, happier feet.

But I want even more freedom and simplicity for my feet. So I’ve moved to sandals for hiking and backpacking. Yes, backpacking. Sandals are a perfectly viable option for 3-season, mixed terrain (road and trail), lightweight (sub-25 lb) backpacking. In other words, for the Camino.

Specifically, I’m wearing Teva Terra Fi 4’s. I’m in love. I often wear them with socks – lightweight coolmax or thin merino. This eliminates the dreaded sandal stink. It also protects against the sun and trail debris/scratches. And the socks help keep my feet dry by wicking sweat, but not too dry so my heels don’t crack.

Here is a random list of why I love them (hiking sandals generally, but specifically the Teva Terra Fi’s):

· I can wiggle and spread and flex my toes. No pressure or prison. My feet are airy.

· They are super cushy clouds of awesomeness – so comfortable on asphalt or dirt or rocky trail – the Tevas have extra heel cushioning

· Easy to take on and off

· Good in water, and fast drying – and easy to clean

· No blisters!

· No sizing issues – I wear a 7 - 7.5 street shoe, and I bought size 8 Tevas. With the strap system, I can adjust for feet swelling and shrinking, and for different sock thickness or no socks.

· On the same adjustable note, with these Tevas, I can adjust the back(heel) strap so my foot is perfectly positioned over the arch. Good for preventing plantar fasciitis.

· No need for “after hike” shoes. (I’ll probably bring some light, cheap flip flops for the shower.)

· Super fashionable, especially with socks. Along with the Macabi skirt and the infinity buff “hood” I wear hiking, I expect to be asked often if I’m a German nun.

The question of boot’s vs. shoes is often posed here. Just remember, whatever direction you go in, there is actually a third, very attractive option to explore.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I totally agree. I walked in boots on my first and second caminos, always with Teva Terra Fi 3s as backup, and this year I walked with Salomon non-Goretex trail runners and the same Terra Fi 3s as my second pair. They saved me when my feet got too hot and damp in the sunshine and I walked in them for a fair bit. The only problem I found was that I would 'grab' the sole with my toes and create unnecessary friction - maybe a question of getting used to them? I have been considering getting the 4s and you have just persuaded me!

I’ve never loved hiking boots. My feet feel claustrophobic in them, and vigilance against foot fatigue, foot pain and blisters was an ever-present anxiety. My toes felt tortured and imprisoned, even in my wide-toe box Keen boots. As I’ve gotten older, after years of hiking, my feet change sizes and spread more readily throughout the day, which complicates a reliable boot fitting. And post-hike soreness and throbbing, the toe pain (sometimes shooting, big toes), chronic calluses/blisters (little toes), and top of foot numbness (despite adjusting laces, it would last for weeks after a 10 day backpack outing), when long-distance hiking, have led me to abandon boots altogether. I finally gave up believing this was the “norm”.

I’ve been very pleased with my Brooks Cascadia 9 trail runners. Those mesh tops let my toes spread and flex without pressure. They’ve been a huge relief. I feel lighter and more agile, with cooler, happier feet.

But I want even more freedom and simplicity for my feet. So I’ve moved to sandals for hiking and backpacking. Yes, backpacking. Sandals are a perfectly viable option for 3-season, mixed terrain (road and trail), lightweight (sub-25 lb) backpacking. In other words, for the Camino.

Specifically, I’m wearing Teva Terra Fi 4’s. I’m in love. I often wear them with socks – lightweight coolmax or thin merino. This eliminates the dreaded sandal stink. It also protects against the sun and trail debris/scratches. And the socks help keep my feet dry by wicking sweat, but not too dry so my heels don’t crack.

Here is a random list of why I love them (hiking sandals generally, but specifically the Teva Terra Fi’s):

· I can wiggle and spread and flex my toes. No pressure or prison. My feet are airy.

· They are super cushy clouds of awesomeness – so comfortable on asphalt or dirt or rocky trail – the Tevas have extra heel cushioning

· Easy to take on and off

· Good in water, and fast drying – and easy to clean

· No blisters!

· No sizing issues – I wear a 7 - 7.5 street shoe, and I bought size 8 Tevas. With the strap system, I can adjust for feet swelling and shrinking, and for different sock thickness or no socks.

· On the same adjustable note, with these Tevas, I can adjust the back(heel) strap so my foot is perfectly positioned over the arch. Good for preventing plantar fasciitis.

· No need for “after hike” shoes. (I’ll probably bring some light, cheap flip flops for the shower.)

· Super fashionable, especially with socks. Along with the Macabi skirt and the infinity buff “hood” I wear hiking, I expect to be asked often if I’m a German nun.

The question of boot’s vs. shoes is often posed here. Just remember, whatever direction you go in, there is actually a third, very attractive option to explore.
i love ya! just back from another trip over the pyrenees to roncevalles. promised a young girl many years ago i would take her "over the mountain". as she was born terminal with multiple disability, wheelchair user, no speech , the only way was by proxy i.e her mum texted me her photo. i took the foto over the mountain and kept my word. sadly when i got back she had died but at least she went over the mountain. i rather think that she took me and not the other way round. i had come up a half size from boots before but should have come up a full size. result? no nails on big toes and many blisters on ends of other toes! had i not made a promise, the rucksack, boots and other instruments of torture would have been hurled to oblivion! yet again i have bought new boots for the next bloody outing! and yes , i have tevas and i love them! always a bit scared of the dreaded pronation tho and big BIG rocks waiting to smash my toes! going to take them with me tho as back up to the boots and possibly successor to the boots!

take care and keep on keepin on!

the malingerer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
image.jpg I wore boots twice and sandals once

CF June '13 Leather Timberland boots

Meseata February '14 Strong Lowa hiking boots

CF July '14 Ecco Hiking sandals for 31 of 33 days. Lightweight Solomon boots for 2 v wet days

Loves the sandals - closed toe few blisters

View attachment 14364 I wore boots twice and sandals once

CF June '13 Leather Timberland boots

Meseata February '14 Strong Lowa hiking boots

CF July '14 Ecco Hiking sandals for 31 of 33 days. Lightweight Solomon boots for 2 v wet days

Loves the sandals - closed toe few blisters
I think I found these here and they look like they're on sale, too:
http://www.footsmart.com/P-Ecco-Men...1+23+042-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^41429010277

I'm not coming up with a closed toe Ecco sandal for women, though. Do you think there's enough structure in these to prevent pronating ankles from turning?

Sorry I've been absent from my own post - been quite a work week!

I totally agree. I walked in boots on my first and second caminos, always with Teva Terra Fi 3s as backup, and this year I walked with Salomon non-Goretex trail runners and the same Terra Fi 3s as my second pair. They saved me when my feet got too hot and damp in the sunshine and I walked in them for a fair bit. The only problem I found was that I would 'grab' the sole with my toes and create unnecessary friction - maybe a question of getting used to them? I have been considering getting the 4s and you have just persuaded me!

I saw on your gear list in another thread that you used the Terra Fi Lites? Have you tried the regular Terra Fi's - maybe they wouldn't grab the same way? It also might be fixable by playing with the strap adjustments, or trying them with socks.

I'm training in regular (non-lite) Terra Fi 4's right now, and I'm hoping it will be my only camino shoe.
I have a couple of concerns I'm weighing about that. I'm planning a 1200 km plus camino, and I don't know if they will last the distance. They are made with Teva's Spyder rubber, rather than vibram - it has a nice cushy feel, and great tread, but is softer than vibram. I'm considering carrying my Brooks Cascadia trail runners too - more variety for my feet, and expand the life of both shoes. But I don't want to carry the extra weight just out of a fear of "what if?"......

Perhaps I bring 2 pair of Terra Fi's, and mail one ahead from my start point as a mid-camino replacement?

My main concern about my Brooks - as comfortable as they are - is that I've had some bad ankle turns in them. I'm blessed with strong ankles, so no real damage done... yet. I don't buy into the argument that boots (at least the common lightweight mids) offer significant ankle protection. Trekking poles do a better job of that. But without poles, the Brooks gave me a couple of scares.

But the Terra Fi's - Wow! - they are super stable. They kinda look like little flat-bottomed barges on my feet.

i love ya! just back from another trip over the pyrenees to roncevalles. promised a young girl many years ago i would take her "over the mountain". as she was born terminal with multiple disability, wheelchair user, no speech , the only way was by proxy i.e her mum texted me her photo. i took the foto over the mountain and kept my word. sadly when i got back she had died but at least she went over the mountain. i rather think that she took me and not the other way round. i had come up a half size from boots before but should have come up a full size. result? no nails on big toes and many blisters on ends of other toes! had i not made a promise, the rucksack, boots and other instruments of torture would have been hurled to oblivion! yet again i have bought new boots for the next bloody outing! and yes , i have tevas and i love them! always a bit scared of the dreaded pronation tho and big BIG rocks waiting to smash my toes! going to take them with me tho as back up to the boots and possibly successor to the boots!
take care and keep on keepin on!
the malingerer.

Cheers! What an amazing story, and camino motivation!
Well, you won't lose toenails or get blisters with the sandals. There is some trade off in toe/rock protection I suppose. But I will say, at least in my Teva's (one size bigger than my street shoes) I've yet to have any toe-stubbing issue. There is a good distance between the front of the sandal and my toes. The shoes are kind of "boat-like", and protective in that sense.

I can't speak to the pronation issue. I'm an under-pronator with a high, strong arch, and need a "neutral" shoe with minimal arch. That's why the Brooks Cascadia trail runner works well for me, along with its wide toe box and soft, flexible mesh.

The Teva Terra Fi has a moderate arch, but nice and cushy, so it doesn't bother me.

I'm not a fan of the closed toe sandal. It defeats the whole purpose of sandals for me.
I did try the KEEN Women's Newport H2 Sandal.....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z4JT50/?tag=casaivar02-20

..... and I hated it. It had a firm, high arch that made my feet ache within minutes. But lots of people love it - if you're looking for a closed-toe women's sandal, maybe it will work for you. They are a good price at Amazon, and have a free, easy returns policy (that I used).

That's where I got my Teva Terra Fi 4's also. So anyone in the US who wants to try shoes like this that you can't find in a local store (always a better choice, if an option) - you can order risk free to try them out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
very interested in "poles do a better job" as i use pacerpoles as if they were a permanent part of me and never go anywhere without them! its got me thinkin again especially as i depend on them in rough terrain for sure-footedness without thinking of the pronation issue and certainly tevas plus poles are almost second nature. the new boots are now glaring at me something awful!!
i go now to stand under a cold shower upside down wearing tevas!

ya gotta laff, eh?

the malingerer.

I saw on your gear list in another thread that you used the Terra Fi Lites? Have you tried the regular Terra Fi's - maybe they wouldn't grab the same way? It also might be fixable by playing with the strap adjustments, or trying them with socks.

I'm training in regular (non-lite) Terra Fi 4's right now, and I'm hoping it will be my only camino shoe.
I have a couple of concerns I'm weighing about that. I'm planning a 1200 km plus camino, and I don't know if they will last the distance. They are made with Teva's Spyder rubber, rather than vibram - it has a nice cushy feel, and great tread, but is softer than vibram. I'm considering carrying my Brooks Cascadia trail runners too - more variety for my feet, and expand the life of both shoes. But I don't want to carry the extra weight just out of a fear of "what if?"......

Perhaps I bring 2 pair of Terra Fi's, and mail one ahead from my start point as a mid-camino replacement?

My main concern about my Brooks - as comfortable as they are - is that I've had some bad ankle turns in them. I'm blessed with strong ankles, so no real damage done... yet. I don't buy into the argument that boots (at least the common lightweight mids) offer significant ankle protection. Trekking poles do a better job of that. But without poles, the Brooks gave me a couple of scares.

But the Terra Fi's - Wow! - they are super stable. They kinda look like little flat-bottomed barges on my feet.

Well, you won't lose toenails or get blisters with the sandals. There is some trade off in toe/rock protection I suppose. But I will say, at least in my Teva's (one size bigger than my street shoes) I've yet to have any toe-stubbing issue. There is a good distance between the front of the sandal and my toes. The shoes are kind of "boat-like", and protective in that sense.

I can't speak to the pronation issue. I'm an under-pronator with a high, strong arch, and need a "neutral" shoe with minimal arch. That's why the Brooks Cascadia trail runner works well for me, along with its wide toe box and soft, flexible mesh.

The Teva Terra Fi has a moderate arch, but nice and cushy, so it doesn't bother me.

I'm not a fan of the closed toe sandal. It defeats the whole purpose of sandals for me.

..... and I hated it. It had a firm, high arch that made my feet ache within minutes. But lots of people love it - if you're looking for a closed-toe women's sandal, maybe it will work for you. They are a good price at Amazon, and have a free, easy returns policy (that I used).

That's where I got my Teva Terra Fi 4's also. So anyone in the US who wants to try shoes like this that you can't find in a local store (always a better choice, if an option) - you can order risk free to try them out.

Hi Saltwaterpearl, that was my un-packinglist and the Lites are a proposed change for the next walk. I have used the Terra Fi 3s as back-up on my six week walk two years ago and for two weeks this year, plus a lot of walks in between - they are virtually indestructible! I always wear them with socks for walking and without for the evening to let the feet breathe (unless it's cold and/or wet) and don't really know why I 'grab' the sole with my toes - maybe just a matter of getting used to them? However as I only use the Terra Fi 3s for back-up, ie evenings, showers and breaks from my very comfy trail runners, I might as well save weight and take the Lites. I am also looking at the Teva Rosa model, a shoe/sandal cross, but that would be instead of the trail runners, not instead of the sandals.

I would think very long and hard about taking only one pair of footwear for a walk that long, though. If something happens, a rogue cut or blister, broken strap or sole, lost sandal(s) etc, you are left without shoes. A change is as good as a rest, as they say, and I for one would not like to go for 1200 kms without being able to change into something else. Of course you could always shop along the way. I look forward to hearing how you get on!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.