• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Considerations for buying chargers for electronics

ken2116

Time of past OR future Camino
Someday. But have hiked the Sierra and the Pyrenees.
A note of caution about aftermarket chargers. A published study showed that while a few are okay, many do not meet the USB standards for voltage stability and protection - some produce voltage spikes that have the potential to damage equipment, some don't maintain full voltage, and some are so poorly constructed as to present shock or fire hazards. Short of testing with specialized equipment and inspecting inside there's no way to be sure other than using the charger that came with your equipment. When we travel we take known good chargers (do confirm they'll work with the local voltage and cycles) and an adaptor plug. I believe the third party Ankor brand met all of the specs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A note of caution about aftermarket chargers. A published study showed that while a few are okay, many do not meet the USB standards for voltage stability and protection - some produce voltage spikes that have the potential to damage equipment, some don't maintain full voltage, and some are so poorly constructed as to present shock or fire hazards. Short of testing with specialized equipment and inspecting inside there's no way to be sure other than using the charger that came with your equipment. When we travel we take known good chargers (do confirm they'll work with the local voltage and cycles) and an adaptor plug. I believe the third party Ankor brand met all of the specs.
Do you have the source references here. If forum members are being deterred from purchasing products, it should be transparent what information is being used to justify that.

Do you have the source references here. If forum members are being deterred from purchasing products, it should be transparent what information is being used to justify that.
I believe this is the source:

As the study appears to be from ~ 2012, the specific findings probably don't apply to more recent devices, but the overall message is likely still to be true: (1) the chargers provided by your phone or device manufacturer are very likely to be satisfactory and, above all, safe. (2) many after market chargers might "work" but some are dangerous to both your equipment and your person, with potentially devastating consequences. (3) Don't trust clones, and (4) you really can't distinguish good from bad 3rd party chargers without access to electrical testing and an internal inspection.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I believe this is the source:

As the study appears to be from ~ 2012, the specific findings probably don't apply to more recent devices, but the overall message is likely still to be true: (1) the chargers provided by your phone or device manufacturer are very likely to be satisfactory and, above all, safe. (2) many after market chargers might "work" but some are dangerous to both your equipment and your person, with potentially devastating consequences. (3) Don't trust clones, and (4) you really can't distinguish good from bad 3rd party chargers without access to electrical testing and an internal inspection.
@ken2116, thank you for providing this information.

I would draw somewhat different conclusions from this study. For a start, I would limit myself to the conclusions that the author himself reached, basically your second and third points.

While the other points might be reached by inference, I am not sure that it is really fair to do so. My reasons for thinking that are:
a. this study is a decade old, and I doubt either of us has a good understanding of how more modern OEM and third party chargers perform.
b. the chargers included six from OEMs, 2x Apple, 2x Sumsung, 1x HP, 1x Motorola; four clones (all of Apple products) and two generic third party chargers. I would suggest that even at the time, drawing broad conclusions about the quality of generic third party chargers on such a limited sample would have been inappropriate, and it is even more so today.

Certainly the advice to Apple users to avoid clones or counterfeit chargers seems reasonable. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is, and you won't be getting a quality product.

As for generic third party chargers, I wouldn't be damning them so roundly. My own experience has been that any that I have bought have performed satisfactorily on the Android devices that I use, and I will continue to use them.

I would draw somewhat different conclusions from this study. For a start, I would limit myself to the conclusions that the author himself reached, basically your second and third points.

While the other points might be reached by inference, I am not sure that it is really fair to do so. My reasons for thinking that are:
a. this study is a decade old, and I doubt either of us has a good understanding of how more modern OEM and third party chargers perform.
b. the chargers included six from OEMs, 2x Apple, 2x Sumsung, 1x HP, 1x Motorola; four clones (all of Apple products) and two generic third party chargers. I would suggest that even at the time, drawing broad conclusions about the quality of generic third party chargers on such a limited sample would have been inappropriate, and it is even more so today.

Certainly the advice to Apple users to avoid clones or counterfeit chargers seems reasonable. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is, and you won't be getting a quality product.

As for generic third party chargers, I wouldn't be damning them so roundly. My own experience has been that any that I have bought have performed satisfactorily on the Android devices that I use, and I will continue to use them.

It is quite difficult to replace original chargers for most Android brands, maybe with the exception of Samsung. The new USB-C standards are way more complicated than the old USB-C chargers. And I would be even more concerned about buying third-party chargers, or at least cheap chargers, now with the USB-C standard. It seems more safe to buy third-party wireless chargers than USB-C chargers.

It is quite difficult to replace original chargers for most Android brands, maybe with the exception of Samsung. The new USB-C standards are way more complicated than the old USB-C chargers. And I would be even more concerned about buying third-party chargers, or at least cheap chargers, now with the USB-C standard. It seems more safe to buy third-party wireless chargers than USB-C chargers.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. I thought USB-C was a connector standard, and USB 3.x and USB Power Delivery governed the connection and power. Many devices with a USB-C connector don't support USB 3.x standards or use the higher power available for fast charging.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

b. the chargers included six from OEMs, 2x Apple, 2x Sumsung, 1x HP, 1x Motorola; four clones (all of Apple products) and two generic third party chargers. I would suggest that even at the time, drawing broad conclusions about the quality of generic third party chargers on such a limited sample would

Even if you don’t mind paying Apple’s price, they only sell single port chargers so you are somewhat limited. In my case my headlamp is USB charged, so I am interested in a dual port charger.

The problem with Apple chargers (besides the price) is that they only have one port which is a problem if you have any devices besides your phone (a headlamp in my case).

The problem with Apple chargers (besides the price) is that they only have one port which is a problem if you have any devices besides your phone (a headlamp in my case).
That and the fact that they typically only have one type of mains connection. I travel with a four-port charger that has most mains connections types and extends the mains connection so I can plug in another device, typically my CPAP. Others might find that arrangement suitable for letting others use the wall outlet, which a OEM charger never does.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. I thought USB-C was a connector standard, and USB 3.x and USB Power Delivery governed the connection and power. Many devices with a USB-C connector don't support USB 3.x standards or use the higher power available for fast charging.

USB-C provides for a lot of new standards. I know apple have 140 watt USB-C chargers. It can also be used to charge your phone with 18 watts. I would trust that if both products were from Apple.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My message remains the same: be cautious with aftermarket chargers - many might "work" okay, but if not properly designed and made, could fail in dangerous ways. There is up to 240 volts at one end of these and you're phone, and your person (maybe wearing headphones), at the other - be sure your trust is well placed.
Out of interest, I checked the product recall information on the Product Safety Australia website and looked under the general Electronics and Technology category, and the more specific Computers and accessories and Cameras and phones categories. The were 35 recalls of chargers, and 31 of adaptors. There were several manufacturers that I found with multiple entries including OEMs like HP, Toshiba and Apple, and one well known aftermarket manufacturer, Targus. HP clearly had issues with their portable computer battery packs, Apple had four entries for chargers and adaptors. There doesn't seem to be a pattern of issues with generic, aftermarket, devices marketed in Australia that would suggest they are any worse than OEMs in this regard.

It certainly seems to me that Australians should feel safe using non-OEM chargers and adaptors retailed here. If forum members from other countries want to be savvy customers, they might want to check for similar product safety information in their own country, and base their buying decisions on current objective evidence.

If @ken2116 has seen 'interesting events' during safety certification, one might expect that such products were not approved for use, and either didn't enter the market or were withdrawn from it. It would be disappointing to learn otherwise.

Out of interest, I checked the product recall information on the Product Safety Australia website and looked under the general Electronics and Technology category, and the more specific Computers and accessories and Cameras and phones categories. The were 35 recalls of chargers, and 31 of adaptors. There were several manufacturers that I found with multiple entries including OEMs like HP, Toshiba and Apple, and one well known aftermarket manufacturer, Targus. HP clearly had issues with their portable computer battery packs, Apple had four entries for chargers and adaptors. There doesn't seem to be a pattern of issues with generic, aftermarket, devices marketed in Australia that would suggest they are any worse than OEMs in this regard.

It certainly seems to me that Australians should feel safe using non-OEM chargers and adaptors retailed here. If forum members from other countries want to be savvy customers, they might want to check for similar product safety information in their own country, and base their buying decisions on current objective evidence.

If @ken2116 has seen 'interesting events' during safety certification, one might expect that such products were not approved for use, and either didn't enter the market or were withdrawn from it. It would be disappointing to learn otherwise.

Your warranty is most likely not valid if it goes wrong with an aftermarket charger.

I bought an after market charger in Spain when my Apple one went astray. Back home it fried my iPad mini & would have burnt my camper van down if I hadn’t been there to unplug it! I only use a ‘real’ one now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bought an after market charger in Spain when my Apple one went astray. Back home it fried my iPad mini & would have burnt my camper van down if I hadn’t been there to unplug it! I only use a ‘real’ one now.
That was unfortunate.

One might assume that knowing you were going to use this for your other important devices you bought the charger from a reputable electronics retailer, not some two dollar shop, and were savvy enough to check that the device had design approval from the FCC and a national electrical safety testing authority.

I have been in the circumstances where I was in a hurry and bought a cheap European pinned charger from the closest store, and found that it wasn't satisfactory and had to be replaced. Fortunately, I wasn't tempted to use it on anything but a mobile phone that would have been relatively easy and cheap to replace.

I'm not saying these things don't happen, just that the advice previously given on this doesn't seem to be founded on current objective evidence, and the current objective evidence there is here in Australia points to OEMs having safety issues with their chargers as well. It seems to me intrinsically unfair to recommend avoiding using aftermarket chargers when no objective evidence has been produced showing these products are any different in terms of safety and performance than those of the OEMs.

Last edited:
That was unfortunate.

One might assume that knowing you were going to use this for your other important devices you bought the charger from a reputable electronics retailer, not some two dollar shop, and were savvy enough to check that the device had design approval from the FCC and a national electrical safety testing authority.

I have been in the circumstances where I was in a hurry and bought a cheap European pinned charger from the closest store, and found that it wasn't satisfactory and had to be replaced. Fortunately, I wasn't tempted to use it on anything but a mobile phone that would have been relatively easy and cheap to replace.

I'm not saying these things don't happen, just that the advice previously given on this doesn't seem to be founded on current objective evidence, and the current objective evidence there is here in Australia points to OEMs having safety issue with their chargers as well. It seems to me intrinsically unfair to recommend avoiding using aftermarket chargers when no objective evidence has been produced showing these products are any different in terms of safety and performance than those of the OEMs.

In Spain after-market chargers are manly those from Chinese Bazars and the more reputable brands from let's say Anker is not widely available in Spain. So, if you buy after-market chargers in Spain you are very likely to end up with something bad.

I know the OEM's occasionally have errors in their chargers, but I also know they have a very strong financial interest in not having errors in their chargers. And so do the reputable after-market brands.

You are probably right about the lack of scientific research in this area, but until then common sense is probably to buy OEM chargers and if you have a good reason to not do that buy from a reputable brand.

Putting a 3 euro charger from a Chinese Bazar on a 1000 euro phone is asking for trouble, even though there is no scientific research on the subject (not in favor of your argumentation either).

In Spain after-market chargers are manly those from Chinese Bazars and the more reputable brands from let's say Anker is not widely available in Spain. So, if you buy after-market chargers in Spain you are very likely to end up with something bad.

I know the OEM's occasionally have errors in their chargers, but I also know they have a very strong financial interest in not having errors in their chargers. And so do the reputable after-market brands.

You are probably right about the lack of scientific research in this area, but until then common sense is probably to buy OEM chargers and if you have a good reason to not do that buy from a reputable brand.

Putting a 3 euro charger from a Chinese Bazar on a 1000 euro phone is asking for trouble, even though there is no scientific research on the subject (not in favor of your argumentation either).
I think that we have been pursuing two different lines of thought on this, and it relates to whether one is, as @Leanne Lang was, preparing for one's pilgrimage, or looking for an urgent replacement of a charger misplaced during it.

I don't expect anyone from Australia, NZ, the US, Canada, the UK or even the rest of Europe to do a quick trip to Spain to travel at a two-dollar shop to buy a multi-port USB charger. That doesn't mean that they cannot shop for the equivalent through eBay or Amazon, but they will have access to a range of devices at conventional retailers that have been certified within their national standards frameworks before they can be offered for sale. The advice that one should prefer an OEM device in these circumstances is not justified by the evidence.

If members are going to use an on-line shopping service, my advice would be to look for the certification marks that have been printed on the device. These may be national approvals, the CE symbol for the EU, a Regulatory Compliance Mark or its equivalent, RoHS, etc, etc. My current 4-port universal adaptor has the CE and RoHS markings, but the design does not comply with all the Australian certification requirements. It performs better under load than the Samsung travel adaptor that came with one of their tablets, as does a similar device I use at home. I will replacing the travel adaptor before I next travel to Europe with a higher capacity device that will support USB-C fast charging.

I have checked both eBay and Amazon, and there are devices which appear completely devoid of any certification markings. My view is that these are best avoided.

Others carry a range of certification markings, most commonly the CE and RoHS symbols. That would suggest that they have met the EU certification requirements, and would be a reasonable choice., even though they may not meet all of the national certification requirements around the world.

And the reason for needing a multi-port charger is not complex. I have several devices to charge besides my phone. If I took individual OEM chargers with their Australian configured electrical pins I would need plug adaptors all at additional weight, and would have to find several wall plugs wherever I was staying, or be up and down all night swapping charging devices around. None of that sounds great when I could use a single universal travel adaptor.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Spain after-market chargers are manly those from Chinese Bazars and the more reputable brands from let's say Anker is not widely available in Spain.

I am in way over my head in terms of the tech knowledge displayed on this thread, but I can say with confidence that you should not buy a charger or any other electronic device in a “tienda de chinos” in Spain. Whether they are “after market” or “new”, the odds are high that they are not up to EU standards. I do not have any reference to cite as support for my statement, but I have seen it first hand, and have also received that warning from several Spanish friends.

I think that we have been pursuing two different lines of thought on this, and it relates to whether one is, as @Leanne Lang was, preparing for one's pilgrimage, or looking for an urgent replacement of a charger misplaced during it.

I don't expect anyone from Australia, NZ, the US, Canada, the UK or even the rest of Europe to do a quick trip to Spain to travel at a two-dollar shop to buy a multi-port USB charger. That doesn't mean that they cannot shop for the equivalent through eBay or Amazon, but they will have access to a range of devices at conventional retailers that have been certified within their national standards frameworks before they can be offered for sale. The advice that one should prefer an OEM device in these circumstances is not justified by the evidence.

If members are going to use an on-line shopping service, my advice would be to look for the certification marks that have been printed on the device. These may be national approvals, the CE symbol for the EU, a Regulatory Compliance Mark or its equivalent, RoHS, etc, etc. My current 4-port universal adaptor has the CE and RoHS markings, but the design does not comply with all the Australian certification requirements. It performs better under load than the Samsung travel adaptor that came with one of their tablets, as does a similar device I use at home. I will replacing the travel adaptor before I next travel to Europe with a higher capacity device that will support USB-C fast charging.

I have checked both eBay and Amazon, and there are devices which appear completely devoid of any certification markings. My view is that these are best avoided.

Others carry a range of certification markings, most commonly the CE and RoHS symbols. That would suggest that they have met the EU certification requirements, and would be a reasonable choice., even though they may not meet all of the national certification requirements around the world.

And the reason for needing a multi-port charger is not complex. I have several devices to charge besides my phone. If I took individual OEM chargers with their Australian configured electrical pins I would need plug adaptors all at additional weight, and would have to find several wall plugs wherever I was staying, or be up and down all night swapping charging devices around. None of that sounds great when I could use a single universal travel adaptor.

I mostly agree with you. With some exceptions. Shopping on eBay and Amazon is comparable to shopping in a Chinese Bazar in Spain.

I wouldn't really trust the certifications, if any, to be valid on those cheaper products.

And for most people that would even be too complex to figure out.

At home I would recommend trying to get an original charger from the manufacturer that fits European standards, or if you have special needs beyond that, like multiport chargers and power banks, I would buy from a company who are specialized in that and has a good reputation and even depends on having a good reputation.

Anker is probably the brand I know with the best reputation, and they produce high-end multi-port chargers and power banks.

Nitecore produces the lightest (i know of) 10.000 mAh power bank and it has been well tested by trail-runners and hikers with good results around the globe.

If I am on trail and must replace a charger and I can't find an original charger in my own brand, I would go for a USB-C charger from Apple or Samsung. They are usually available in shops selling mobile devices.

Smartphones are usually between 200 and 2000 euros. And I wouldn't risk destroying it with a cheap charger.

Best
Andy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wouldn't really trust the certifications, if any, to be valid on those cheaper products.
If you have some objective evidence, perhaps you should be sharing it with the relevant certification body, or perhaps encouraging those who decry the strength of these arrangement to do so. It will allow those certification authorities to enforce the requirements to be met by manufacturers that allows them to use such marks. My view is that it isn't the certification system that is a problem, but detecting those who counterfeit the mark and use it without meeting the product safety requirements.

You might also consider what else you recommend. You appear to rely on the OEMs, and I have already shown that here in Australia they seem to have as many if not more issues with product safety as after-market manufacturers. I don't expect our product safety requirements are that much different to other countries, and similar problems are likely to exist elsewhere.
Just google CE marks on fake chargers.
Thank you for this. It did lead to a couple of interesting sites that explained how to detect fake CE marks in particular. Those who want to inform themselves so that they are savvy customers would be well served by checking out how to detect these fake marks.

If you have some objective evidence, perhaps you should be sharing it with the relevant certification body, or perhaps encouraging those who decry the strength of these arrangement to do so. It will allow those certification authorities to enforce the requirements to be met by manufacturers that allows them to use such marks. My view is that it isn't the certification system that is a problem, but detecting those who counterfeit the mark and use it without meeting the product safety requirements.

I just googled "CE marks on fake chargers" as @Kathar1na suggested and this was the first result:

You might also consider what else you recommend. You appear to rely on the OEMs, and I have already shown that here in Australia they seem to have as many if not more issues with product safety as after-market manufacturers. I don't expect our product safety requirements are that much different to other countries, and similar problems are likely to exist elsewhere.

I did read the article. But as you said when you were argueing against the article - it is a really old article.

I'm not saying errors do not occur. But generally mobile phone producers will go trhough a lot to make sure they do not have errors in their products. Having errors is extremely expensive for them.

I did read the article. But as you said when you were argueing against the article - it is a really old article.
I also produced a summary of the recall statistics from the Product Safety Australia website that reflects the situation as it exists today, not a decade or so ago. I suggest that it reflects that, on the Australian market at least, after-market manufacturers are doing as much, if not more, to ensure that they produce safe and reliable products.

Edit: I might add that the number of recalls seems comparatively low for most manufacturers. These are not frequent occurrences. I wouldn't want to overcook the analysis here, but buying an after market charger from a bricks and mortar store here in Australia appears to be pretty safe. How well this reflects the product safety regimes in other countries is difficult for me to tell, but the impression that I get from forum members with some experience here is that there are fewer protections available in many European countries.

I agree that on-line market places like Amazon and eBay present different challenges when it comes to product safety. They seem to cover a broad range of product quality, and I wouldn't recommend buying on price as the sole criteria. If the price is too good to be true, the product isn't going to be. Being a savvy customer in these marketplaces is just that much more difficult.

I have done my own voltage and load tests on the rather limited range of USB power sources available in my house at present. It's probably time to do that more consistently to ensure that I am not mis-representing either the OEMs or the after-market segments, but I can tell you that my initial impression is that the OEM chargers are quantifiably worse performers. That is quite aside from product safety issues, which I cannot fully test.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also produced a summary of the recall statistics from the Product Safety Australia website that reflects the situation as it exists today, not a decade or so ago. I suggest that it reflects that, on the Australian market at least, after-market manufacturers are doing as much, if not more, to ensure that they produce safe and reliable products.

Edit: I might add that the number of recalls seems comparatively low for most manufacturers. These are not frequent occurrences. I wouldn't want to overcook the analysis here, but buying an after market charger from a bricks and mortar store here in Australia appears to be pretty safe.

I agree that on-line market places like Amazon and eBay present different challenges when it comes to product safety. They seem to cover a broad range of product quality, and I wouldn't recommend buying on price as the sole criteria. If the price is too good to be true, the product isn't going to be. Being a savvy customer in these marketplaces is just that much more difficult.

I have done my own voltage and load tests on the rather limited range of USB power sources available in my house at present. It's probably time to do that more consistently to ensure that I am not mis-representing either the OEMs or the after-market segments, but I can tell you that my initial impression is that the OEM chargers are quantifiably worse performers. That is quite aside from product safety issues, which I cannot fully test.

I agree OEM products can be a little conservative in porformance sometimes. But sometimes to preserve battery life. I do prefer fast charging on the camino though. It is nice to finish charging before bedtime.

One of the things you can test is at what current the chargers turn off. That is different and that is one of the differences between quality in after market chargers and power banks. And it also differs between different OEM chargers.

I was thinking of buying this Anker charger until I read a review that said that it has an annoying blue led light when it's in use. 😕
Plus I only need USB ports, not an extra outlet.
Cover it with black electrical tape, that's what I do with annoying indicator lights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was thinking of buying this Anker charger until I read a review that said that it has an annoying blue led light when it's in use. 😕

I guess the LED light could be covered with duct tape if you prefer only viewing the charge status on your phone :)

Ankers Nano-Pro series do not have LEDs.

And for thee european version if it is for the camino (it's in German):

But it is USB-C, so it depends on your phone model. What phone do you use?

Last edited:
I had a look at this, and was a little confused about whether it supported both Type G and Type E/F sockets. The spec suggests that it only has a Type G plug (UK etc) but the photographs appear to show a Type E/F plug as well that would make it compatible with most European sockets.

I had a look at this, and was a little confused about whether it supported both Type G and Type E/F sockets. The spec suggests that it only has a Type G plug (UK etc) but the photographs appear to show a Type E/F plug as well that would make it compatible with most European sockets.

European versions on their German website:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And for thee european version if it is for the camino (it's in German):
I haven't been able to find a source for an Anker charger with European plug. USB C works with my phone, but I'd rather have two charging ports. I just chatted with Anker, and the European plug chargers aren't available in the US.

I have used cheapie after market chargers in the past with no problems, except one that got really hot so I tossed it.

I would prefer to have a "name brand" charger though.

I haven't been able to find a source for an Anker charger with European plug. USB C works with my phone, but I'd rather have two charging ports. I just chatted with Anker, and the European plug chargers aren't available in the US.

I have used cheapie after market chargers in the past with no problems, except one that got really hot so I tossed it.

Maybe Ivar should start selling them in the webshop?

Those have two ports:
Anker 521 Charger (Nano Pro)
Anker 726 Charger (Nano II 65W)

And this one have 3 ports:
Anker 735 Charger (Nano II 65W)

Might be interesting for you too @dougfitz - the one with 3 ports.

I guess you could order it on amazon.es and have it send to your starting destination or a pick-up point

@dougfitz and @trecile

You would just have to time it well

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And if you use Apple you can buy the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit for 29 USD

It works with Apples 12, 30, 67 & 140 watt chargers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree OEM products can be a little conservative in porformance sometimes. But sometimes to preserve battery life. I do prefer fast charging on the camino though. It is nice to finish charging before bedtime.
At the risk of getting overly technical, the USB Power Delivery standard suggests that the power source (charger, power bank, etc) and power sink (phone, tablet, etc) negotiate this. So it is a setting on your device, not the charger, that determines how fast and full you recharge your battery. It isn't up to the charger. Even my now ancient Sony Walkman has a setting to ensure that the battery isn't fully charged as a way of ensuring longer battery life.

At the risk of getting overly technical, the USB Power Delivery standard suggests that the power source (charger, power bank, etc) and power sink (phone, tablet, etc) negotiate this. So it is a setting on your device, not the charger, that determines how fast and full you recharge your battery. It isn't up to the charger. Even my now ancient Sony Walkman has a setting to ensure that the battery isn't fully charged as a way of ensuring longer battery life.

I am impressed with the Sony Walkman.

Apple sold their iPhone 11 with a 5 watt charger even though it can be used with a 20 watt charger. Nokia did the same.

I have a quick charger for my iPhone/iPad that I got from Costco,( brand name Ubiolabs) cane with 3 different length cords. It is amazing- devices charge very quickly! I’m thinking it might be risky to attatch European prongs onto it when I am in Portugal. - any comment?
And would anyone have any recommendations for something similar I could by in Europe?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you like your current US power plug can't you just get an adapter? eg.,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EB26MO/?tag=casaivar02-20
Yes, you can. If you use an adapter I suggest that you duct tape it to your charger so that you don't accidently leave it in an outlet.
I just prefer to bring one with the European plug so that I don't have to use an adapter.

When I'm traveling in Europe and not carrying everything in my backpack I bring one plug adapter and an extension cord with three outlets. That way I only need one plug adapter for everything that needs to be plugged in.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I'm with you on this. I'd like to carry a charger with a European plug rather than a US charger and adapter (which is easy to leave behind). However, I can't seem they don't seem to be readily available in the U.S.

I used a small charger on my walk in Spain last fall, that is, until it fell apart and I had to throw it out. I didn't seem to have any problem keeping my phone charged after that. Maybe it was because I stayed in hotels rather than albergues much of the time, so there was no competition for a plug-in point.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Even if your phone uses a USB-C charger I suggest bringing a charger with a USB-A port too if case you have to replace a cable or external battery with an older version. I don't see too many places at home with USB-C to USB-C cables but I do see USB-A to USB-C. I would hate having to shop around, say, Astorga for USB-C products. You could easily buy a USB-A charger if needed but you can easily avoid the weight, trouble and expense.

We have lost several chargers on the Camino. 2 for phones and one for Kindle. The first time we did buy a charger in an Oriental Bazaar in Pamplona. It was never too reliable so sometimes the devices charged and other times did not. Last fall Phil bought a charger in Sahagun at a small appliance hardware store. It worked fine and was about 10 euros. He still uses the cable at home and will take the wall receptacle when we go back this summer. Sometimes you just cannot get the replacement brand you want or need and have to make do until you get to a larger town.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.