• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Considering Caen to Mont St Michel

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Walked numerous Caminos and now looking at the eight stages between Caen and Mont Saint Michel in France. Has anyone walked that specific route? I have resource pages but would love first-hand info from someone who has physically completed it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walked numerous Caminos and now looking at the eight stages between Caen and Mont Saint Michel in France. Has anyone walked that specific route? I have resource pages but would love first-hand info from someone who has physically completed it.
Vacajoe,
What a wonderful idea this is. However the tourist crowds at MSM can be huge. For an account of such a walk have you see this Journal?

Good luck with your plans.

There was pilgrim accommodation at MSM in 2013, which I didn't know about. Worth checking! Yes the tourist crowds are huge, but if you can get a bed in the pilgrim abri, it would be wonderful!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had not! Thank you! We’ve been to MSM (even stayed the night!) and still found it magical despite the crowds. The sun shining through the windows during the chanting of mass was the most spiritual moment of my life.

Update:
If you Google
De Caen au Mont Saint-Michel à pied
du 16 au 24 Septembre 2017
you will get a link to a pdf journal of 21 pgs in French of the walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
MSM is truly magical - definitely try to stay the night so you can experience it without the crowds, plus it’s interesting at both high and low tides.

There’s no easy way there from SdC, but after our first Camino Frances, we returned to Paris for a bit as tourists and took a bus from there. There are tour packages, but I’d encourage you to simply go on your own: cheaper and more time to reflect. We did not stay at the onsite albergue because we were tourists at that point, not pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here is a link to a French group supporting pilgrims to MSM.: https://www.lescheminsdumontsaintmichel.com/spip/index.php
I like this map :

m._17_chemins_nds_et_gares_sncf_fev_2019-1.jpg

Of those routes, it's the MSM-Rennes one that's the standard Way of Saint James route BTW.

I want to do the same so help me understand. What will you do between Santiago and Caen or MSM? Will you be walking or taking a train or.......? ~ Thank you
A friend who's walking with me and I plan to either take a train or fly from Santiago to Rennes, and from there the train to Caen. We both want to visit Mont St Michel, but as of now, I don't know if we'll walk from Caen to MSM or just take a bus. Our husbands are meeting us in Santiago and neither of them are inclined to walk long distances like my friend and I, so I don't know how it will all work out. But I'd love to walk through Normandie if possible; it's incredibly lovely!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
fly from Santiago to Rennes, and from there the train to Caen
There is a bus from Rennes to MSM - easy and inexpensive, and says you the trip all the way to Caen. You to visit Caen AFTER MSM! I highly encourage you to rent a car, though, if possible, as Normandie is full of history - religious, medieval, WWII, and so on. Driving is by far the easiest way around and in the Fall of 2021, we found the roads fairly empty and parking available even in the bigger cities.

Finally, I highly recommend Appletree Gites (www.appletreehillgites.fr) if you want a place to stay that is central to everything you’d like to see there. Accommodations for couples as well as large groups (and even a “pilgrims’ room since it’s on the route from Caen And served as one hundreds of years ago!!!), the owners are from England and quite lovely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a bus from Rennes to MSM - easy and inexpensive, and says you the trip all the way to Caen. You to visit Caen AFTER MSM! I highly encourage you to rent a car, though, if possible, as Normandie is full of history - religious, medieval, WWII, and so on. Driving is by far the easiest way around and in the Fall of 2021, we found the roads fairly empty and parking available even in the bigger cities.

Finally, I highly recommend Appletree Gites (www.appletreehillgites.fr) if you want a place to stay that is central to everything you’d like to see there. Accommodations for couples as well as large groups (and even a “pilgrims’ room since it’s on the route from Caen And served as one hundreds of years ago!!!), the owners are from England and quite lovely.
That's good to know! Although I've visited Normandy before, I've never been to MSM, and there's always more I'd love to see beyond MSM. Thank you so much for the recommendation as to where to stay - it looks like a French fairytale auberge.

They are the kindest couple and the facility is delightful. If you rent the small couples apartment, you usually get use of the hot tub which is wonderful for achy bones! For groups or families, they essentially have an entire house available.

We are about to embark on this route - after much planning and research. it will be done as a pilgrimage in May 2024. If you are interested you can contact me on retreatsorpilgrimages@gmail.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are about to embark on this route - after much planning and research. it will be done as a pilgrimage in May 2024. If you are interested you can contact me on retreatsorpilgrimages@gmail.com
That’s an old post - we walked this in 2021. Hopefully others who are interested see your email post. Have a fabulous pilgrimage

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.