• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contact lenses or eye glasses?

Aesklepius

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: St Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago, on to Fisterra, Muxia and back to Santiago. (April-June 2016)
Well....it is just two weeks before I leave home, planning to start walking from St Jean Pied-de-Port on April 14 or 15. I've not found a related thread (forgive me if I missed it), but have still not decided on whether to use my contact lenses (prefer the clarity of vision and comfort/ease while being active, yet have to carry or find cleaning solutions and maintain daily) or my prescription eyeglasses (not so convenient in bad weather, but otherwise lower maintenance, expensive to replace if lost or broken)... . Any advice or comments from those with experiences relating to contact lenses? Thanks. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wore contact lenses everyday on the Camino. Carried two sets and two of the small bottles of solution. Those two little bottles lasted 30-35 days on the Camino. Never had any problems. Also carried a small bottle of re-wetting drops. All the albergues have sinks and mirrors for removing or putting them in. Wake up a bit earlier to avoid the sink rush in the albergues in the morning. That is, if the albergue is crowded.
I also carried two pairs of glasses. One regular and one prescription sunglasses. Wore those at night before I went to sleep and in the event I lost the contacts or just wanted to give my eyes a break from them. I like the contacts because they give me peripheral vision and I don;t have to worry about fogged up glasses if it rains.

I wore contact lenses everyday on the Camino.
Me too nearly exactly except no prescription sunglasses. Never had problems fighting for space at sinks. Did however made sure that I completely blocked the drain with a washcloth, bandana or paper towel!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had both. Contacts for the most part but glasses in the evening or early morning. Fortunately I didn't need mirrors for putting them in or taking out.

I wore my contacts during the day and switched to my glasses before showering. Due to a recent eye infection, next time I plan to take daily contacts. I don't know what the weight difference will be, but peace of mind is more important with regards to eye care.

Denise

I won't be taking my contacts when I start walking next september. I normally wear one day contacts, and a full 6 weeks set would not be too heavy. However, I would also need sunglasses, and prescription glasses for when not wearing contacts (in order to survive the trip to/from the bathroom) and spare prescription glasses (honestly, I'd rather loose a passport than my glasses...)

So, i'll be cutting the weight of 6 weeks' lenses nd sunglasses, and only take 2 pairs of prescription glasses (wearing 1, carrying 1 next to my passport...)

Buen Camino
Michael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get yourself Monthly lenses.You will not need to remove them at all for 1 month minimum.I have used them for years and they are so convenient

I only carry a pair of Transition lenses glasses. I actually had them made exatly for that purpose: the Camino, although I wear them daily. It saves you from having to carry sunglasses as well. When it's chilly in the morning and I am huffing and puffing I am not a happy camper as they fog up and I cannot see where I am going, where I am stepping, and also when there's a mild drizzle and I would prefer not to take put my umbrella. But luckly that has only occured on a small fraction of the time I have walked. I may consider bring a few pairs of dailies, that come in their own solution, for days that will be nothing but rain.

I took daily disposables, plus not one but two pairs each of reading and distance glasses (cheap ones) and was glad I did as they didn't stand up too well to being squashed in a pack. The monthly lenses would have been ideal, but unfortunately I can't use them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back