• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Container for soap?

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
I need recommendations for a soap container. I'm cutting my Dr. Bronner's soap in half (half for the husband and half for me) and I need a case for it. I found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLKOJY8/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFNMSFM6FKLM1 but I'd like other recommendations. Regardless of how leak proof they say these things are, I'm still going to put it in a small ziplock bag. What's worked for you? In the past for backpacking, I've used Sea to Summit but I've decided to go with a soap bar this time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I need recommendations for a soap container. I'm cutting my Dr. Bronner's soap in half (half for the husband and half for me) and I need a case for it. I found this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLKOJY8/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFNMSFM6FKLM1 but I'd like other recommendations. Regardless of how leak proof they say these things are, I'm still going to put it in a small ziplock bag. What's worked for you? In the past for backpacking, I've used Sea to Summit but I've decided to go with a soap bar this time.
I don't use bar soaps, but that soap holder from Amazon looks great. I really like that it's a one piece, too, so you won't be as apt to drop the lid. For such a reasonable cost of $2.99 I doubt you'll find anything better!

I've tried the tins but now just use a snack size ziplock bag with a piece of duct tape wrapped around it. Easy, light, and cheap.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@alaskadiver yes, but we all have about something sometime! And usually the wrong thing. If I obsess about what hat to take, then my towel will be my Achillies heel. It's all fun.
Well, Last week my obsession was panties. I finally decided that what I wear now for backpacking is just fine. I don't need a special Camino set of panties :) It is fun for me to plan for this and even the obsessing is fun. It helps kill time until May rolls around if nothing else.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cut my soap in half and put it in one of these mesh bags inside a baggie. I loved being able to scrub my body. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068UZBHS/?tag=casaivar02-20
I've used the little mesh bag that garlic sometimes come in. But then I put it in a plastic bag and it got soft and mushy. Now I use this http://www.coghlans.com/products/soap-caddy-8402. It's a bit bulky, but I put several small hotel-size soaps in it, and they can dry. I've replaced the rope with a piece of elastic.

I used an everyday common ziplock bag for soap - one of the smaller ones and another slightly larger for toothpaste and toothbrush. They work just fine just shake as much water off the soap before you put it into the bag.

Within a small toiletries sac in soft plastic soap, sponge and shampoo are kept together in doubled small plastic zip-lock bags; after using these inner bag items in a shower all are replaced into the small dry outer double bag before being put back into the main toiletries bag. Thus the other toiletries stay dry.

I bought a thin, light scrubbing glove in Body Shop and am currently experimenting with drying my shampoo bar/soap in the glove hanging from a hook in the bathroom, planning to hang it outside the pack while walking. I also have a small zipped waterproof-ish pouch that my tiny towel came in, to stuff glove and bar inside if needed. So far it seems to be working - the bar dries well, if tthe soap leaves goo inside the glove I just add water and wash with it, the glove creates a lot of lather and scrub for very little soap, and the bar works well on my hair.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used an everyday common ziplock bag for soap - one of the smaller ones and another slightly larger for toothpaste and toothbrush. They work just fine just shake as much water off the soap before you put it into the bag.
The great thing about those little bags is that you can carry dozens of them with almost negligible weight !!! We use them too !!!

I use a Lush shampoo bar and a metal tin (not the one Lush sells, but similar). But I first slip the bar into a pantyhose footie, knotted on the end. That way it can be popped right out of the tin (rather than get mushy & stuck), and also hung to dry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cut up a bar of (Turkish) olive oil and herb soap*, and put it in a plastic container which I think originally contained cocktail sticks. It has a part-flip-up lid which I can leave open so it dries up a bit.

*very similar to Savon de Marseilles

I use this soap in the shower and for washing my clothes, but I don't like it on my hair, so I take sachets of shampoo/conditioner. Each sachet will do 2-3 washes, so I put the opened sachet in a ziplock bag and hope it doesn't leak too much!

Shave your head and forget the soap!
Okay, so forget that advice from a bald guy and ask yourself how many days a half bar of soap in a ziplock bag or a small plastic soap container will last you? Is your objective to take the remaining soap back home with you? I doubt it.

I read this tip in the book "To Walk Far, Carry Less." She recommends keeping bar soap in a sandwich sized ziplock bag. In between uses, the soap dries out nicely rather than getting all mushy. I tried this approach on my Camino and it worked perfectly. The larger sized bags don't allow the soap to dry out, so stick with either the snack size or sandwich size. A plastic case is unnecessary added weight in my opinion. Plus, your soap will get all mushy, which will cause you to go through it a lot faster, especially when washing clothes.

Regarding cutting the bar of soap in half, I did the same and wished I hadn't. I ran out of that soap halfway through, and yes, you can buy soap along the way, but I couldn't find anything I liked nearly as well as the Dr. Bronner's. Next time I'll bite the bullet and bring an entire bar of Dr. Bronner's. For two of you, I suspect your one bar of Dr. Bronner's will run out, since you use it for washing clothes as well as showering. Some of the alburgues do have bars of soap out for washing clothes. Next time I'll make better use of their soap.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use a small plastic cash bag that banks use for coins. After a shower I always leave the bag on the floor under the bunk with the soap on top of it until the soap dries. Or I might put it on a handy windowsill. I have tried putting it on the outside windowsill, but forgot it because it was not 'in sight' when I came back to the dorm.

Related tip:

If you're bringing a personal soap/shampoo bar that you tested out and really like, and you're hoping it will last your entire camino, then I recommend NOT also using it for laundry. Laundry eats up body/hair bars really fast.

When you get to Spain, you can buy a bar of laundry soap in any grocery. They are very effective and long lasting.

They are also big and heavy, so take it back to the refugio, cut a slice off for yourself to carry in a small ziplock, and leave the rest at the communal wash sink or share with fellow peregrinos.

I use a small plastic cash bag that banks use for coins

I brought a few of these - they were actually very useful.

Carrying coins, storing opened shampoo sachets, holding safety pins, sewing kit, etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Shave your head and forget the soap!
Okay, so forget that advice from a bald guy and ask yourself how many days a half bar of soap in a ziplock bag or a small plastic soap container will last you? Is your objective to take the remaining soap back home with you? I doubt it.
ha ha....
Yeah I just never gave soap on the Camino that much thought....
Brought a bar with me from home. When it started to whittle down with use, bought another and threw what was left of the old one in a bin. In Santiago threw away all my leftover toiletries, including any soap left. Each bar lasted about a week, I guess. Easy to find and buy bars of soap along the CF.
lather, rinse, repeat? :D

I read this tip in the book "To Walk Far, Carry Less." She recommends keeping bar soap in a sandwich sized ziplock bag. In between uses, the soap dries out nicely rather than getting all mushy. I tried this approach on my Camino and it worked perfectly. The larger sized bags don't allow the soap to dry out, so stick with either the snack size or sandwich size. A plastic case is unnecessary added weight in my opinion. Plus, your soap will get all mushy, which will cause you to go through it a lot faster, especially when washing clothes.

Regarding cutting the bar of soap in half, I did the same and wished I hadn't. I ran out of that soap halfway through, and yes, you can buy soap along the way, but I couldn't find anything I liked nearly as well as the Dr. Bronner's. Next time I'll bite the bullet and bring an entire bar of Dr. Bronner's. For two of you, I suspect your one bar of Dr. Bronner's will run out, since you use it for washing clothes as well as showering. Some of the alburgues do have bars of soap out for washing clothes. Next time I'll make better use of their soap.

We are walking the Primitivo so I only need it to last for 2 weeks. The 3rd week we'll be in a rental apartment on the coast and won't have to worry about it.

Like so many others have said before me . . . small zip-lock baggy. If the soap gets too moist, you can leave the bag unzipped. Space and weight are high priorities when carrying the same pack daily over long distances of weeks on end. I was on the Camino for almost 2 months & didn't need to replace my bar of soap until the last 5o kilometers. I used the same bar of soap for bathing & laundry (of course there may have been a few times when I did laundry while bathing; but that might qualify as TMI). My toiletry kit was a small mesh bag (1x2x3 inches); it contained a bar of soap, tooth brush (handle cut down to fit in bag), tooth paste (smallest I could find), razor (it fit the bag-no need to cut). I used a small, quick dry backpacker's towel, usually stowed in an outside pocket or clipped to a loop to air dry as I walked. I used 2 silk bandanas, one for my neck & one for my head; they doubled as handkerchiefs & wash cloths. Hint: whenever possible, double purpose the items you carry. ¡Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I just used 2 sandwich bags that sealed at the top, one inside of the other. It was light, cheap, durable and did the job!

I use a soap that is multipurpose. Body, hair, clothes. I carry it in a mesh bag that can be used for scrubbing and then put on the line (soap still inside the bag) with my clothes to dry. It lasts longer that way. Once it is dry, it fits back into the cordura nylon bag and packs away. There are options like this out there or you can sew your own if you are handy. Check out BettyandBobos on Etsy. That is where I got mine. Every little detail matters.

Another vote for Baggies. I cut my Dr B in half too. I keep one half with my TP for restrooms in bars. They often lack TP or soap or both. The other half is kept in my "shower bag" which is also a ziplock, but larger.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

@alaskadiver thanks for asking the question. I'm learning too.

I admit I know nothing about good quality hiking bar soaps. I don't use bar soap at home at all. I do know I don't like drying products.
And the reviews for Lush products are really mixed.

This looked interesting...all natural, decent reviews and around the same price as Lush, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFMVPHG/?tag=casaivar02-20

Also, has anyone ever brought along dry shampoo?

I like Dr. Bronners lavender and hemp. Super creamy but the bar doesn't disintegrate after being wet. Lathers up a lot and works great to wash clothes including wool. I used it for shampooing my hair and it was good. I have long, naturally straight, fine hair so just a little conditioning is all I need. I was going buy Lush but this is cheaper and I can buy it at REI or online quite easily.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got a Muji soap dish to take for my bar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221604286702?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
In the end, I found it too small, so I went to Whole Foods and got one of their small clam shell clear plastic boxes with the lid attached you use to get spices or nuts. It is super light and worked great! We would use the soap and then leave the container on the floor open next to our bunk bed in the alberge to dry. By morning it was perfect and we closed it and put it in the pack.

Rambler

I like Dr. Bronners lavender and hemp. Super creamy but the bar doesn't disintegrate after being wet. Lathers up a lot and works great to wash clothes including wool. I used it for shampooing my hair and it was good. I have long, naturally straight, fine hair so just a little conditioning is all I need. I was going buy Lush but this is cheaper and I can buy it at REI or online quite easily.

Did you bring a secondary conditioner? I've been knocking around the idea of bringing a trial sized bottle of spray leave in conditioner...seems like it would be easier overall...

Did you bring a secondary conditioner? I've been knocking around the idea of bringing a trial sized bottle of spray leave in conditioner...seems like it would be easier overall...
I will probably take a trial size conditioner. I need it to keep my ends from splitting and just overall static control.

I always take conditioner travel sized. I have hair that tangels really easy and yet to find a bar that works for me without it becoming an uncombable mess. I think it really depends on individual hair type on whether its worth it or not.

I use the ez case linked below. I really like it, it has a bit of some fabric like material that you wrap around the bar and slide into the case, so it doesn't get stuck. I haven't had trouble with it coming gummy. Though I have a weakness for travel gadgets, I really like this one even if it isn't really necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC6ERDQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

I use sandwich bag and elastic band, super light!

I carried a small bottle of shampoo that I used for hair and body, so no soap bar melting in the backpack.

I took no conditioner and actually forgot my hairbrush, so I spent the first week of my camino with very tangled hair (until I got a plastic comb from a private inn we stopped to sleep one day). Although it felt very weird on the first days, later it was kinda freeing to see that I looked like the Lion King (I'm a redhead) but the camino did not care at all about it. After the pilgrimage, I spent a few days in Madrid before my flight back. I washed and conditioned my hair over there, and everything was back to normal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. I'd used small mesh bag with a drawcord (sth small like the ones that travel towels come in) to carry a soap and usually left it out with towel and clothes to dry after washing, showering.
When wet or moist (soap/bag) in the mornings, I simply attached the bag to the backpack to dry during the walk.
Oh, and two things: I used soap without a mesh bag; and there were no spots on the backpack from the soap and really no dangling around the backpack.

I just got a bottle of Dr Bronners and plan to put it in a small bottle to use for everything: clothes, hair, body, even teeth. No more bars for me. I will carry an exfoliating glove to help lather up the Bronners for efficiency.
Isn't that all the backpackers have carried forever? Dr. Bronner's? But I am only going two weeks. If I were going the full month, I'd probably suffer carrying a Lush bar too!

Dr Bronner's soap has palm oil in it. It's devastating the rainforests and eliminating habitat for orangatans! Please try and find a different solution for the sake of our planet. Boycott all products that have palm oil in them please

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I go through a ton of Nivia soft moisturizer for my shaved head. The plastic, screw top plastic tubs make superior bar soap containers. They cant flip open like clamshell soap boxes and unless run over my a car dont break or come open like zip top bags.

They are so useful we never pitch them in the recycle bin here at the house, I use them for everything from camping storage to small item storage in my shop.

Cheers!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You've probably already walked but maybe other people will read this thread.
I used a Dr Bronner's bar of soap on the Camino for myself and my laundry and I kept it in a snack-size zip lock bag and that was perfect. I left it open at night to dry out a bit so it didn't get too slimy during the day.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.