• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contaminated water fountain in the begining of the Meseta

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Has anyone else experienced a real demonic stomach virus or bug in the same area? I came down with a Major bug after Poblacion de Campos which flattened me. Now, after talking to so many other Pilgrims , I have heard of others being sick in the same area.(Some for over a week).
Is it possible that one of the fountains is contaminated. :?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I avoided drinking from fountains altogether, choosing instead to fill my waterbottles in the sink in the albergue.
On the Via de la Plata I bought 2 x 1.5 litre bottles of water each day.

But don't get paranoid. Stomach flu or food poisoning seems to be rare.

skilsaw said:
.....snip
On the Via de la Plata I bought 2 x 1.5 litre bottles of water each day.
....snip.

:shock: 2x1.5 litres = 3 kilos to carry :shock:
(1 liter = 1 kilo)

Actually, I do not know of anyone who had stomach problems from food or water....not to say there are not some...just agree that it is rare.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is my understanding that one just has to cope with the extra weight. Walking the VDLP in the warmer times gives one no option as the water fountains are few and far between - especially from what I can gather, on the Camino Mozarabe. In fact I am planning on taking enough containers for 4 liters (yes - = 4 kgs!) I think I will take a couple of 1 - 1.5 bottles and an empty water bladder from a cask for the times when I will need more. I don't use things like the platypus / camel, as I prefer the option of an empty bladder that I can fill if needed - it is lighter, and I will not have to worry about cleaning it in the same way. cheers, Janet

Last summer I used water from fountains - unless marked agua non potable as well water from cafes and auberges. There are so many options along the Camino Francés that 2, 0.75 L bottles were sufficient. I just made sure that they were always full. Luckily no incidents for me.

Via de la Plata is another matter. I plan on taking the same size bottle plus a 2 L platypus/camel. Large bottles I find too awkward and cumbersome.

I walked the Camino Mozarabe (from Malaga) and VdlP starting in April and found that 2 litres was enough, however I think it better to err on the high side as there are not a lot of fountains and they are not always obvious - sometimes just a pipe and tap. I have had no problems with contaminated water on any of my caminos, quite the reverse in fact, water quality is generally very high.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was very sick for three days, from drinking water given to me by a lady working in a garden, alongside the Camino Inglés near Bruma. I thought I was going to die. :?

Could this be a solution to drinking water from fountains and taps along the way?
http://www.campingsurvival.com/purtab.html

While on the VDLP in September 2009, I didn't take any chances and left with three liters every day. Some days, with temperatures of 45 degrees, it wasn't enough.

Drink safely,
Jean-Marc

Well, you could do what my walking partner did when he accidently drank from a fountain labeled, 'Non-portable.'

We found our way to the nearest bar, where he immediately down a few shots of strong whiskey.

Must have killed any critters... he felt fine all afternoon :lol: and never had any tummy issues.

So just carry a hip flask "for emergencies" lol

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Coca cola will do the same thing....if you don't drink whiskey! I learned that trick while traveling in Jordan from some girls that got sick in Egypt. They told me to just drink Coke with my meals and it kills everything! :) I didn't get GI upset the entire 5 months I traveled on the Camino, into the Middle East, and through SE Asia, even eating street food for a month straight in Thailand!

If you are that concerned about the water, I talked with a guy in Hontanas who was a Wilderness guru from Canada and he recommended the Iodine tabs too, which I think are the same as the Puretabs. You can also get a lightweight Steri-Pen, which uses UV light to kill bacteria. I didn't have any problems on the Meseta, but I wasn't using fountain water either.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a little concerned that many people who are planning their Camino will suddenly think that the water available along the way is a problem :roll: In two Camino Frances I did not talk to or hear of anyone having problems with the water...it is not a major issue to be concerned about.
In fact, this is the fist thread I can remember about the issue.

I am sure some have had stomach problems...but was it water from the fountains or something else? I would think that we would have continuous threads if it were in fact a problem of concern.

I remember when I was preparing last year for my Camino there was a thread similar to this regarding water specifically on the Meseta. I didn't use fountains on the Meseta for this reason and did not get sick. I came across people who did. I think it's useful information to consider.

I drank from every fountain available, on the Frances and on the VDLP, and on the Northern route and never had a problem.

I suspect it could have been a flu bug or from food, rather than the water.
BUT.. you never know.

Use your instincts is my advice and don't get too hung up on it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This old chestnut comes up periodically, usually when the pilgrim population is sharing an intestinal bug among themselves. Telling someone you drank bad water is so much more romantic than just catching a virus.

You still ought to avoid drinking water from garden hoses -- they often use well water that is kept for irrigation and not treated. Fuentes that are in open public use are tested, safe water, unless of course you see cows standing round them. (I got a great dose of giardia poisoning last year, drinking from an un-marked cattle trough/spring on the mountain above Peñalba..)

But if the water on the meseta was contaminated, the people who live on the meseta would be sick too!

Rebekah Scott said:
... Telling someone you drank bad water is so much more romantic than just catching a virus...

...(I got a great dose of giardia poisoning last year, drinking from an un-marked cattle trough/spring on the mountain above Peñalba..)

Are you being romantic?

This recurring topic, one among several, is one where opinions diverge from reality. For example:
I didn't use fountains on the Meseta for this reason and did not get sick. I came across people who did. I think it's useful information to consider.
By all objective measures, water in Spain is among the best in the world. When one gets sick on the Camino, it is close to impossible to tell why. Water. Food. Fatigue. Bacteria. Shared mattresses. Infection. Insects. Allergies. Flu. Rhino virus.

Sickness can spoil the experience, so I think each of us wants to be prudent in limiting the risk of illness. In my observation Europeans who live in countries where the water is not suspect, buy bottled water in huge quantities during the pilgrimage. Many discard the bottles in a way that is degrading the beauty of the walk, and the recycling of the properly discarded plastic is quite expensive. Acting like water in Spain is gutter water from Calcutta is an overreaction. Still, since there are a lot of trade offs on the Camino, my opinion is that we each should be in our comfort zone to the extent possible. Unnecessary fear creates plenty of anxiety in the planning process, so if planning to drink bottled water reduces that anxiety, then plan that way. Just do not be surprised if you get sick anyway from a cause you did not anticipate! And in general, try to keep fear -- snakes, blisters, weather, bed bugs, a place to sleep, flashers, bears, snorers, smokers, etc. -- out of your pilgrimage. If you can succeed, you will have a lot more fun.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear friends,

It is wel kown that most of wells are clean and of excellent quality. There is however ideed in that area one fountain that is not contaminated, but is not available as drinking water. The Spanish people along the Camino are responsible people and will always warn you with a little shield on the fountain that the water is "no drinking water". During all my marches I met only one fountain in Spain that was "no drinking water". All the other ones were clean.

Kind Regards Winterpilgrim

Falcon!
I am one of those who always buy bottled water. That is not because I think that the water in Spain is worse than the water I tap in my home in Norway. But the difference in bacterias can influense, and since I do not want to be sick I stick to waterbottles.
BUT I DO NOT leave my bottles on the camino but bring my own bottles that I refill from big ones every day.
Buying water is not equivalent to being a pig in the nature!
ranthr

Bottled water is a personal preference, and an expensive one at that. From "Logical Ecology":

Bottled water was all the rage for a while. Many people thought it was safer or better tasting. Health conscious people were sure bottled water was an improvement over what comes out of the tap.

Now the tide seems to be turning. People accuse bottled water fans of not caring about the environment! Though all water bottles are recyclable, the majority of water bottles end up in the trash instead of the recycle box. Shipping the water uses tons of energy. And guess what–about 25% of bottled water is really just municipal drinking water, treated and bottled. Even some brands with fancy names like Dasani and Aquafina.

Plus, there’s the issue of cost. You can get a thousand gallons of tap water for the same amount you pay for a pint of bottled water.

But is bottled water really healthier than tap water? Is it worth the extra cost? And what is the effect on the environment?

According to the International Bottled Water Association, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and state agencies regulate bottled water. FDA’s standards are just as stringent and protective as the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) are for public drinking water supply.

The National Resources Defense Council(NRDC) conducted a four-year review of the bottled water industry including a comparison of national bottled water rules with national tap water rules, and independent testing of over 1,000 bottles of water. They concluded that bottled water is not necessarily safer than tap water. About 22% of the brands tested contined chemical contaminants at levels greater than state standards.

According to NRDC, in 2006 the equivalent of 2 billion half-liter bottles were shipped to the U.S., a big hit to the carbon footprint. Yet only about 13% of those empty bottles were recycled, meaning millions of them ended up in landfills.

So now, bottled water is the “bad guy.”

In reality, we’re fortunate to have both. Having worked in the public supply area for many years, I have to agree with the American Water Works Association‘s (AWWA’s) campaign, Only Tap Water Delivers. For pennies a gallon, public suppliers provide safe drinking water to protect the public health, enough volume and pressure for fire protection, and support for the economy right to the doorstep. AWWA has some great consumer information on their DrinkTap website as well.
Bottled water on the Camino is more expensive than petrol. If you can afford it, if you clean up after yourself and put the plastic in the recycle bins, and if the remote chance of contaminated water makes you anxious, use bottled water. But admit that it is a choice that flies in the face of evidence!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Every country has their own bacteria that the local population are used to, but visitors are not. So, yes, if you live in Spain, you may not get sick, but others might. If you came to visit me in Oregon and drink the well water at my old house I grew up in, you might get sick too. Why? Because your body is not used to the water supply, even though it is perfectly fine for me. Everyone has different flora in their digestive tract, some stronger and healthier than others. When I was in Sahagun, I ran into some peregrinos that got food poisoning along the way and it set them back a day or two of travel due to GI issues. I also ran into some people who were convinced it was the water. Unless they took a stool sample to a lab, no one is going to know for sure what the culprit was. I know there was one instance where I was walking through a town and the Brierley guide said there was a fountain, and when I got to it, it was a horse trough. Needless to say, I did not drink the water there. I looked around to see if there was another one somewhere close by, and there wasn't. I very rarely drank bottled water (if at all), occasionally bought some gatorade on hot days, and mostly filled up from fountains and tap water at the albergues.

Everyone's body responds differently to pathogens that occur naturally. So, who am I to say if it was the water or the food? I got lucky. (or maybe it was all the yogurt and coca cola I was eating/drinking) I didn't get sick in five months and ten countries of travel. I do know that if there are people who report getting sick in the same area of the Camino, then maybe there's something going on. Could be the food, could be the water, could just be a weird coincidence. It's not something I am "afraid" of. It's just something to be aware of. No harm in that.

I had no problems with the local water, the local red wine was the problem! I noted that those who did not drink the wine did not have tummy problems the next day.

If in doubt boil your water the night before, or carbon filter drinking bottles are now available good for around 100 lt.

Frank

I LOVED the wine in Spain!
I get VERY sick from the wine they bottle in the USA, on the other hand.
Too many chemicals.

Different strokes, I guess...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes but I'm not sure it was there! And I think maybe it was more a stomach bug than the water as it seemed to float through the group despite the water - but it's not a Camino without a stomach bug!! hehe

I was violently sick from Mansilla and had to stop at the private Alburgue just 10km out of Leon - I just couldn't walk another step - I'd been throwing up all along the last of the Meseta and it was hot - but I only had to walk 10km next day to Leon and had a rest day there and didn't leave until the next day in the afternoon and only walked a short distance from Leon to Le Virgen - so by then I was feeling ok again - lots of water and some rest - but I still didn't take a whole day off - just staggered it and did the trick.

Cheers
Jacqui

The cause can also be found in the waterbottle itself. One has to clean it on a regular base. In hot weather it is even more urgent to do so.
Further there are so many things....food, toilets, buttons of doors where you can get something.....and/or pass it to your fellowtravellers.
And yes, perhaps one day the water was not oke... or was it someones mouth who touched the tap?
Every guess would be a wild guess....
This kind of sickness goes hand in hand with travelling. One should be aware of this and not afraid. You cannot avoid it completely.
The Camino and long distance walking is an unusual excercise for our modern bodies!

Most people don't talk easily about it. My guess: one person starts talking about his diarrea and a whole flock follows.........

But ofcourse, it's very good to report such things.....in case of a serious problem with food from a specific restaurant, water from a specific point e.g.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back