• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contemplating alternate to Camino Frances

JamesGeier

Time of past OR future Camino
Next:
Sanabres spring 2024
I have walked the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela twice, once in the spring of 2016 and again in the autumn of 2017. I would like to return to Spain and make a long walk...TomNorth said in another post, “I'm returning because it's there... and it's calling me... and I need to go walk.“ not sure when I'll be able to do this due to work-related committments, maybe autumn 2019 or spring 2020.

I may walk the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Zamora then the Camino Sanabres via Ourense to Santiago de Compostela. I expect this to be much more solitary a walk than the Camino Frances, especially the last 100 kilometers from Ourense to Santiago compared to Sarria to Santiago.

Another idea is to customize my own Camino route. An idea floating around would be to walk from SJPdP to Pamplona, then take the Camino Viejas route to somewhere close to Ponferrada, somehow get to Astorga instead of Ponferrada, then walk south towards Zamora, and at (I think) Montemarta, turn northwest and cover the Camino Sanabres to Ourense and on to Santiago de Compostela. This would certainly avoid the Camino Frances crowds. But would this be at all practical? [I do realize that "practical" is a very relative term...]

Buen Camino,
--jim geier--

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino Aragones is looking for a few good men, as the saying goes....

I'm off in a week to walk it: Lourdes - Oloron - Somport Pass - Jaca - San Juan de la Pena - Leyre - Xavier - Sangueza - Foz de Lumbier - Monreal - Eunate - Puente la Reina Gares.... Those who've done it say that its great, and still uncrowded.

Hi Jim, you don't mention how much time you have to do your Camino, but it sounds like you are determined to walk all the way to Santiago...?

A customized Camino sounds great as long as you enjoy planning, don't mind going "against" the arrows at times and don't mind leaving behind people you may meet along the way as you divert and move between paths. But there are so many other established Camino's that you might consider...

To go with your other idea... April/May on the Plata+Sanabrés, for example. It is definitely not as crowded as the Francés but it's certainly not solitary. Many pilgrims do this as their 3rd or 4th Camino. And as the stages are quite 'fixed' (i.e. there is not as much choice as far as accommodation is concerned in between stages), you stay with the same group of people for quite long stretches. In this way, though you might walk alone during the day, you get a real sense of camaraderie and community, at least I found this to be true. So, though the route can be physically challenging at times, it feels quite laidback, if that makes sense. You also get to experience Extremadura province which is quite special and different to the northern routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino Aragones is looking for a few good men, as the saying goes....

I'm off in a week to walk it: Lourdes - Oloron - Somport Pass - Jaca - San Juan de la Pena - Leyre - Xavier - Sangueza - Foz de Lumbier - Monreal - Eunate - Puente la Reina Gares.... Those who've done it say that its great, and still uncrowded.

This sounds wonderful! Buen Camino!

I have walked the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela twice, once in the spring of 2016 and again in the autumn of 2017. I would like to return to Spain and make a long walk...TomNorth said in another post, “I'm returning because it's there... and it's calling me... and I need to go walk.“ not sure when I'll be able to do this due to work-related committments, maybe autumn 2019 or spring 2020.

I may walk the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Zamora then the Camino Sanabres via Ourense to Santiago de Compostela. I expect this to be much more solitary a walk than the Camino Frances, especially the last 100 kilometers from Ourense to Santiago compared to Sarria to Santiago.

Another idea is to customize my own Camino route. An idea floating around would be to walk from SJPdP to Pamplona, then take the Camino Viejas route to somewhere close to Ponferrada, somehow get to Astorga instead of Ponferrada, then walk south towards Zamora, and at (I think) Montemarta, turn northwest and cover the Camino Sanabres to Ourense and on to Santiago de Compostela. This would certainly avoid the Camino Frances crowds. But would this be at all practical? [I do realize that "practical" is a very relative term...]

Buen Camino,
--jim geier--
Hi,

i know your feeling... I have walked 2014 Camino Frances first half. 2015 completed Camino Frances. and 2017 I walked Porto to Santiago the Portuguese route. . I am going to walk again the Frances Camino St jean to Burgos in September this year. I can't explain how it gets into your bones, and all you want to do is get back there. I hope you work out a route , have fun. cheers
Denise

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Le Puy Le Puy Le Puy! By far the most beautiful, intriguing, and diverse - geographic scenery history, culture, architecture, and art, wonderful hosts and come evening zero worries about no room in the inn

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back