• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contingency Plan - Skippable sections on the Le Puy Route???

irishgurrrl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2012
Camino Finisterre Oct 2012
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port) April/May 2014
[Kilimanjaro Sept 2014]
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St-Chely d'Aubrac) May 2015
[Stevenson Route, France - April 2016]
The Way of St Francis (Sansepolcro to Assisi) May 2016
[The West Highland Way, Scotland - Sept 2016]
[The Kerry Way, Ireland - March 2017]
Next up:
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Lugo) end April-mid May 2017
[Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal -- October 2017]
Hey folks - less than 7 weeks to my Le Puy adventure (woop woop!) where I hope to walk most if not all of the Le Puy route from Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port. A camino buddy of mine will join me for part of the trip and the rest I will walk myself (hopefully in the company of some new found camino buddies!) :D

We are taking a relatively leisurely approach to this walk..... with (ideally) several rest/sight-seeing days over the few weeks we have to travel.

As a contingency plan (and in case we get slightly carried away with the sight-seeing days!) I was wondering (from those of you who have walked the full Le Puy Route) if there are any sections of the route you would consider miss-able? Ideally it won't happen, but in the off-chance I end up short on time then I can at least consider missing out on a section or two to make up some time and not worry about missing a potential highlight scenery wise :)

Eilish :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Different people like different things... I enjoyed all of my Le Puy-SJPP route. I also think it depends on season, how far you walk each day etc etc.

I actually think you're better off asking yourself which parts do you really want to walk and where do you think you can "skip" easily with public transport.

Also - walking does strange things to you. I sort of always promise myself X amount of zero day/rest day. Never really do it - I get restless and then decide to go for 5-10km. Then the walking feels good, or I find a glorious piece of land to lie down where I can eat a bit, read a bit.

I like views, big views... Aubrac totally did it for me. Forests - can easily skip them. Then again, I'm a sucker for any place with old stone buildings - sometimes these are in the middle of a forested valley. Pick what you do not want to miss... I find it easier to pick my 3 "unmissable's", than picking 3 "skipping sections". Once you've decided on what you definitively want to do, the "skipping" sections might become easier

The town of Nogaro would be worth skipping.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would not miss any but instead do it in 2 or 3 years. That way you can do all the options; Cele Valley route as well as the limestone plateaux, detour to Rocamadour, see some more of the beautiful towns on the Lot.

Different people like different things... I enjoyed all of my Le Puy-SJPP route. I also think it depends on season, how far you walk each day etc etc.

I actually think you're better off asking yourself which parts do you really want to walk and where do you think you can "skip" easily with public transport.

Also - walking does strange things to you. I sort of always promise myself X amount of zero day/rest day. Never really do it - I get restless and then decide to go for 5-10km. Then the walking feels good, or I find a glorious piece of land to lie down where I can eat a bit, read a bit.

I like views, big views... Aubrac totally did it for me. Forests - can easily skip them. Then again, I'm a sucker for any place with old stone buildings - sometimes these are in the middle of a forested valley. Pick what you do not want to miss... I find it easier to pick my 3 "unmissable's", than picking 3 "skipping sections". Once you've decided on what you definitively want to do, the "skipping" sections might become easier

As for unmissable stretches I am thinking from Le Puy en Velay to Conques... I also would like to visit Figeac, side trip (possibly by train) to Rocamadour (spelling?) and possibly walking the Cele route... I definitely want to stay in St Jean Pied de Port as I didn't get time to look around and fully appreciate the first time around :) I absolutely love nature so beautiful mountain scenery gets me every time... ancient woodland (deciduous trees rather than alpine) always appeals as well as old charming villages.... Still reading up on the other stretches..... but open to suggestions on what you would consider "not to miss" places/hostels/gites/views/stretches of the camino and conversely places I won't regret missing if I for some reason have to skip a stage or two :)

I would not miss any but instead do it in 2 or 3 years. That way you can do all the options; Cele Valley route as well as the limestone plateaux, detour to Rocamadour, see some more of the beautiful towns on the Lot.

Thanks Kanga - I should have plenty of time to walk it all... we are just considering spending a day here and there in a few places along the way that we want to explore further :) This is more of a 'just in case' than a likely to happen :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Decazeville was my least favourite place but it's just after Conques, one of my most favourite! So no useful advice from me I'm afraid.

75km from Condom to Aire sur L'Adour is pretty much big Agro. It was my least favorite part.

That would mean missing Larrasingle, Mondreal-Sur-Gers and that amazing Roman villa (can't remember the name, but astounding mosaic floors) - I would not want to miss any of that. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393317699.588921.jpg
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393317745.657557.jpg
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393317829.467287.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393317775.581040.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393317775.581040.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Be sure not to miss the section from Le Puy to Conques, the old town of Cahors, the town of Moissac (abbey and river walk), the the Basque section from Navvarenx through to SJPP (route agnostic). There are missable sections from Figeac to Moissac, as one crosses the Karst limestone section. Later on there is the Big Agriculture section as someone else has mentioned.
It's not that these sections are difficult, or ugly, or unsafe, as are some other route sections in other places. It's just that they weren't much worth the effort. Dull, no views, very long stages, poorly marked route (or intentionally mis-marked, thanks to local teen-agers, the year I passed through), limited availability of grocery resupply (either because stores were distant from the route, or inopportune closing days).

(I realize that we each have different travel experiences, and many thoroughly enjoyed the entire Le Puy route. Plus, there are the other aspects of a pilgrimage walk, such as pilgrim friendships, meditations and prayer retreats. But the OP did ask the question, and I have tried to respond.)

Hey folks - less than 7 weeks to my Le Puy adventure (woop woop!) where I hope to walk most if not all of the Le Puy route from Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port. A camino buddy of mine will join me for part of the trip and the rest I will walk myself (hopefully in the company of some new found camino buddies!) :D

We are taking a relatively leisurely approach to this walk..... with (ideally) several rest/sight-seeing days over the few weeks we have to travel.

As a contingency plan (and in case we get slightly carried away with the sight-seeing days!) I was wondering (from those of you who have walked the full Le Puy Route) if there are any sections of the route you would consider miss-able? Ideally it won't happen, but in the off-chance I end up short on time then I can at least consider missing out on a section or two to make up some time and not worry about missing a potential highlight scenery wise :)

Eilish :D
I would take the three Topo Guides for the GR653, just take the map pages. Often the GR653 will make a detour off to the side to get to a mountain top, or to avoid a village. With the TopoGuide map, you can decide to cut off some of these detours if you wish.

Be sure not to miss the section from Le Puy to Conques, the old town of Cahors, the town of Moissac (abbey and river walk), the the Basque section from Navvarenx through to SJPP (route agnostic). There are missable sections from Figeac to Moissac, as one crosses the Karst limestone section. Later on there is the Big Agriculture section as someone else has mentioned.
It's not that these sections are difficult, or ugly, or unsafe, as are some other route sections in other places. It's just that they weren't much worth the effort. Dull, no views, very long stages, poorly marked route (or intentionally mis-marked, thanks to local teen-agers, the year I passed through), limited availability of grocery resupply (either because stores were distant from the route, or inopportune closing days).

(I realize that we each have different travel experiences, and many thoroughly enjoyed the entire Le Puy route. Plus, there are the other aspects of a pilgrimage walk, such as pilgrim friendships, meditations and prayer retreats. But the OP did ask the question, and I have tried to respond.)

Hi Kitsambler - thanks so much for the detailed response - this is the kind of info I was looking for. I agree everyone has their own camino experience -what is wonderful for one may be less so for another. As I am hoping to stay away from the internet etc as much as possible I thought it no harm to ask the question now rather than be worrying about it later. Hopefully it won't come to it though and I can walk the entire route - I think I have 43 days in all - most may be spent on the first half of this camino though if our ideal number of sightseeing days are anything to go by! lol ;)

Thanks everyone - food for thought! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back