• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contingency Plans!?!?

tammi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: St. Jean Pied de Port - Santiago - Muxia- Fisterra (May/June 2015)
Camino Frances: Unfinished Business Estella - Astorga (May/June 2016)
Hello Pilgrims. I posted once before on this forum regarding whether or not to walk with my husband or alone. After reading, and giving serious thought to the replies, we have decided to travel to Europe together and let the camino decide from there...seemed to be the theme to go with! :)
However, now that we are making plans we had to determine a timeline. Life only allows for 36 days of walking (this does not include travel to/from, but actual days ON the camino). We will be hitting the trail On May 25, 2015....woohoo!!! The plan is to start in SJPdP and walk to Finisterre/Muxia (then take a bus back to Santiago). We realize that we may (or may not) be able to accomplish this in 36 days, and are trying to work out a contingency plan. We definitely need to walk the last 200 km (Sarria-Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia) to get the compostelas, and do not wish to take a bus/taxi at any point on the camino. But we were considering (if time becomes an issue) purchasing a used bicycle (somewhere around Burgos?), and then ditching it when we have gotten 'caught up'. Thoughts???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Instead of trying to do it all with the time you have ... consider a reasonable time appreciation for how much you can actually accomplish 'gracefully'.

I'd suggest planning on 20 km per day. If you walk faster then you get to use up the 'earned' time with a 'no day'.

This will be our first time ever traveling abroad (many of our friends and family simply cannot understand why THIS would be our destination!) Hard telling if life will provide us with a second opportunity. Which is why we are trying to determine how to get the most appreciation in the time we do have. We want to start in France to experience the Pyrenees mountains, we want to see the Atlantic Ocean from 'the other side'...therefore our start point and finish are determined. The 36 days in between are going to be whatever life and the camino have in store. I really do not want to take a bus/taxi...but if I am hitting the Meseta and time is getting short, a bicycle seemed a logical option. If we had the luxury of just adding on a week or so I wouldn't be in this quandary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We can't solve your dilemma. Its of your own making...

Did you know cruz de ferro is at a higher elevation than route Napoleon?

Not really a dilemma...just wondering about the availability of used bicycles, and if this was an option anyone had taken.

I did meet people who rented bikes for the camino. There was some sort of service where you could get the bike at places like Pamplona or Burgos then ride to Santiago where it could be dropped off.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not really a dilemma...just wondering about the availability of used bicycles, and if this was an option anyone had taken.

I can't speak to the availability of used bicycles, but.....
..... have you considered how you would ride those bicycles while wearing backpacks?
In other words, you wouldn't need just bicycles - you would have to get outfitted with panniers (and helmets, etc) too.

My personal advice as a contigency plan, and what I did on my second camino when I ran out of time, would be to skip the Sarria to Santiago portion and continue walking Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia. But the piece of paper (compostela) wasn't important to me - just my credencial, my memories and my photos. The Sarria-Santiago stretch is overcrowded, less peaceful and less scenic, but Fisterra/Muxia is not to be missed. But obviously, that won't work for you if you find the compostela meaningful.

Our thought was (only IF after walking a couple weeks it starts becoming evident an average 25k/day pace is unrealistic, and therefore need a way to conserve time) to buy cheap, used bicycles to use for ONE day to 'catch up', and then give them to a local 80 or so k's later...long before we start hitting the hills again we would be back on foot. While this seems like a decent Plan B to US, we don't know how feasible of an option it is in reality.....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yeah,
Our thought was (only IF after walking a couple weeks it starts becoming evident an average 25k/day pace is unrealistic, and therefore need a way to conserve time) to buy cheap, used bicycles to use for ONE day to 'catch up', and then give them to a local 80 or so k's later...long before we start hitting the hills again we would be back on foot. While this seems like a decent Plan B to US, we don't know how feasible of an option it is in reality.....

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but personally, I would never ever try and ride a bicycle sans helmet and wearing a backpack. Way too dangerous, especially if trying to cover 80+ kms doing so.

So I don't see how this is feasible, since you would need much more than just a couple of cheap, used bikes. I guess, you could get your packs transported that day, but I don't know if transport services would go that far ahead? Perhaps - I've never used one - or maybe a taxi. But you would still need helmets. And shoes that aren't hiking boots.

Leaping ahead by bicycle, you will lose your camino family, so if that is not an issue, then I can't see the harm/difference in taking a bus ahead one or two stages instead, if necessary. Safer, cheaper, less hassle. Just food for thought.

After thinking through the logistics of a bike for a short portion, it would be a pain in the behind! I also think I need to stop thinking and just be positive....36 days is very do-able, and if I find it isn't...I'm sure I'll figure out the solution then :) Thanks everyone!

Hola

I believe the best plan is not to have a plan.. so to speak.
Your 36 days would allow most pilgrims, in all kind of ages and physical conditions, to complete the Camino Frances.
Then again, injuries can happen, emergencies, unforeseen events, which would make it infeasible.
Time will tell what the camino bring you and how you best handle it.

One day at the time is the best, and only?, way to go with it.
Focus on arriving at your starting point.
Within a week you will both have learned a lot about walking and the daily routines of a pilgrim, which will give you an idea about whether your plan is doable or you have to get bikes, busses, hitchhike or send your packs ahead to be able to walk longer days.

Of course it is good to ask and think about different scenarios, such as you do, so keep them coming.
It is all part of your camino.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my many years of caminos, I find that I have finally been able to curb my natural instinct to have plans for all contingencies. Because I have found that no matter how many contingencies I plan for, the unexpected event that happens is not one of the things I've planned for! I think you've got it right, tammi! Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tammi - If you do decide to go the bike route the Meseta is the place to do it (the bit between Burgos and Astorga). It is flat and dull walking and as has been said one day on the bike is about three walking. I have cycled parts of the camino with a backpack when our plans changed but a hired one with a rack and panniers will be easier. I reckon 36 days should be plenty but as you have proposed there are solutions if you get behind including cycling.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We definitely need to walk the last 200 km (Sarria-Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia) to get the compostelas

You only need to show that you walked (Or biked or rode in a horse) for the last 100Km of your Camino. Sarria is a convenient starting place to earn the Compostela but not the mandatory place.

CORRECTION: If you are biking you need to show the last 200 Kms

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
DHS

Last edited:
Don't bother buying a bike. You can rent them and drop them off down the trail in lots of towns. I met a guy along the way that had tendonitis and stopped walking and started riding and he could not believe the bike rental situation was so good. But this does bring up a concern I have (my fear not yours) about injuries. Feet, ankles, calves. etc. get pretty beat up along the way. Having had problems myself I can tell you that any can cut short or hold up your camino. Be mindful of your bodies, stretch out during and after your walks each day. See what pace fits both your bodies as you walk and then alter your plans as needed.
Buen Camino!
Stefania

you walked (Or biked or rode in a horse) for the last 100Km of your Camino
It is 200km for riding a bicycle.

In the 20th century the growth of pilgrims arriving in Santiago by vehicular transport gave rise to a concern that the aspects of effort and sacrifice previously characteristic of the pilgrimage may be lost or diminished. It was also the case that there was a growth in certificates issued by other bodies which sought to imitate the traditional Compostela. Therefore the Cathedral of Santiago decided that to gain a Compostela a pilgrim had to provide evidence on a credencial that they had walked or travelled on horseback at least the last 100kms of their journey to Santiago and, if travelling by bicycle, the last 200kms. That rule still stands today.

To be awarded the Compostela:

• You need to have made the pilgrimage for religious reasons or for a similar motivation such as a vow.
  • You need to have walked or travelled on horseback at least the last 100kms, or cycled the last 200kms, to arrive at the tomb of the Apostle in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
  • You should collect at least two sellos (stamps) each day on your credencial. This will usually be where you sleep and one other place such as a Church, ayuntamiento, café etc. You must ensure that you do this at least in the last 100 kms from the Cathedral of Santiago if you are walking or on horseback and 200 kms if you are travelling by bicycle.
You may walk the Camino in stages: however if you are walking the last 100kms, or cycling the last 200kms, in stages you must obtain a sello with the date in the place you stopped and obtain another sello with the date from the same place on the day you start again.

Children walking the Camino: Children who have made the pilgrimage with parents, or in a group, and who have an understanding of the religious and spiritual nature of the Camino may also receive a Compostela. However if they are not yet old enough a certificate can be provided which bears the child’s name. In the case of very young children their names can be inscribed on the Compostela of the accompanying adult. If you have any questions about this please ask in the Pilgrims’ Office.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The hope is that 36 days will be sufficient to simply walk. We do not want to plan anything in advance (other than a reservation in Orrison), but I definitely want to have researched all of our options while a computer is handy and I can easily click the "translate' button. :) When I said we need to walk the last 200, I meant the last 100 to Santiago + 80ish to Muxia/Finisterre (sp?) IF leading into week two, we begin to realize we cannot realistically do it in 36 days and need to 'skip ahead', I would prefer it to be by bicycle, allowing us to make up some time, but still able to stop and smell the roses whenever we want. This would be a decision we would make around Burgos, with the intent to only ride a couple days, maybe as far as Leon (or even Sahagun...again depending on how slow those first couple weeks went.) Thank you so much for all your valuable suggestions, this forum has been by far my best resource for info!!!

Tammi
Just start walking. (Unless you're a real bike enthusiast) see how you go. You should get to SdC in time. If you've run short , you will get your compostela for reaching SdC. Finistere is a good bus ride also. You don't need to also walk it. Unless you have the time and/or still feel like walking
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.