• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Continue Primitivo or Finisterre after Covid

sibhcul

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2022
Hi there, I have been having an incredible time walking the Camino Del Norte and Primitivo. I was unfortunate enough to catch Covid while walking the Camino Primitivo. I immediately stopped and rested up for a week in Fonasgrada (~150km from Santiago). I am continuing to rest and recover at a friend’s place in A Coruña (1hr north of Santiago) for an additional week. I feel energised and ready to start walking again in a few days time.

The dilemma I have now is that I am not sure what route to do. I can continue back on the Camino Primitivo where I left off from, getting a bus to Fonasgrada and walking from there, though I will need to reassess my fitness level as I walk (after Covid). Is this last section a nice part of this Camino? Could I use this situation as an opportunity to change to another Camino completely? Could I do the Finisterre and Muxia route instead? If I decided to do the latter, would I be able to get a distance compostela/certificate to have something stating how far I have come from (IrĂşn on the C.Del Norte). I also have heard there is the option of the Camino Ingles but I think would have too little people on it for me to feel like I am part of a Camino. I am young and reasonably fit (well I think so, not 100% sure after Covid!) and love to meet people in the Albergues or on the track. Let me know your opinions and suggestions, thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Could I do the Finisterre and Muxia route instead? If I decided to do the latter, would I be able to get a distance compostela/certificate to have something stating how far I have come from (IrĂşn on the C.Del Norte).
If you start from Muxia or Finisterre and walk between the two, then on to Santiago you will qualify for a Compostela. Remember you need to walk the final 100 km to Santiago on a recognized route to receive a Compostela.

If it were me, I'd continue on the Primitivo to have that sense of accomplishment of a continuous walk.

Recent reports imply that you cannot obtain a distance certificate for a broken route. If you want one you’ll need to restart the Primitivo. Don’t omit a sello from Fonsagrada on your restart date.
If you want a Compostela you could walk the Ingles; Fisterra/ Muxia/ Santiago or the Primitivo from Lugo. The only requirements are that you walk at least 100km into Santiago on a recognized route and that you obtain at least two sellos per day

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there, I have been having an incredible time walking the Camino Del Norte and Primitivo. I was unfortunate enough to catch Covid while walking the Camino Primitivo. I immediately stopped and rested up for a week in Fonasgrada (~150km from Santiago). I am continuing to rest and recover at a friend’s place in A Coruña (1hr north of Santiago) for an additional week. I feel energised and ready to start walking again in a few days time.

The dilemma I have now is that I am not sure what route to do. I can continue back on the Camino Primitivo where I left off from, getting a bus to Fonasgrada and walking from there, though I will need to reassess my fitness level as I walk (after Covid). Is this last section a nice part of this Camino? Could I use this situation as an opportunity to change to another Camino completely? Could I do the Finisterre and Muxia route instead? If I decided to do the latter, would I be able to get a distance compostela/certificate to have something stating how far I have come from (IrĂşn on the C.Del Norte). I also have heard there is the option of the Camino Ingles but I think would have too little people on it for me to feel like I am part of a Camino. I am young and reasonably fit (well I think so, not 100% sure after Covid!) and love to meet people in the Albergues or on the track. Let me know your opinions and suggestions, thank you!
I just finished the Primitivo and looked back at my photos. If it were me, I would go back to Fonsagrada and finish the Primitivo. It is still a beautiful route from there and I think you would enjoy meeting up with all the other pilgrims from Melide on (judging from your comment about about wanting to feel like you are part of a camino). Enjoy whatever route you choose.

My only concern for you is that the day after Fonsegrada is a "leg wrecker" at the best of times. (remember the climb into Fonsegrada) You might not be fit for the ascents and descents. And after Covid you will be surprised how heavy your legs feel and how breathless you might be on the climbs. You might just skip that stage or can you do it in shorter stages until you test your fitness?
And Lugo is a lovely town.
Buen Camino whichever way you go.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back