• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cooking condiments

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Hi its my first Camino. I intend to go it as frugal as possible so as to make the most of the experience. Can you please tell me in the Albergues are there cooking condiments such as salt, spices, oil, milk, coffee, tea. No big deal just trying to imagine what I would need to get. Also are there pots and pans and cutlery and crockery? Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is no standard throughout all albergue kitchens. Some are well equiped with utensils others not at all. Galician Xunta albergues usually lack everything, however some spices are often left on a common shelf.

Be prepared!

It varies a lot. Some albergue kitchens have excellent facilities and some are more of the theoretical variety and most lie somewhere in between, so there isn't a blanket answer for the entire Camino Francés.

If you're doing it frugally as you say, then you'll probably be in municipal hostels a lot. In Galicia, these are called Xunta hostels and, according to the Kelly guide, the kitchens aren't good in those. He writes, "They always have kitchens but ... they are rarely usable. i.e. The cooker doesn't work, there are no utensils etc."

As for condiments, small 'packets' of olive oil are very easy to find in Spain, so I carried one or two of those, and also little sachets of salt and pepper.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Frank Mestre You might want to have a look at this thread: The electric coil saved my life! Normally there will be salt, oil and a few bits available, but without pans and utensils you won't get very far. A boil coil can be used to cook eggs in a cup, heat water for drinks and instant soups or dried meals. If you bring a cup, a coil, a plate, a spork and a good knife, you can shop accordingly and make salads, soups, egg mayo etc. Bring salt and spices in small pots (like from sets of empty flight-size containers - I use a 100ml bottle for salt mix on longer trips) and a few Oxo cubes for a warming soup base and add spring onions, cooked chicken or whatever you can find in the shop. Then if you end up somewhere with more equipment, you're winning!

We would always check out the kitchen on arriving to see what was available and THEN pop out to the tienda or supermercado and buy dinner provisions accordingly.

Thanks that gives me an overall idea. As long as I have a pot I'll knock up a dish. Possibly being a chef might help me. And I love a one pot dish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If there is a kitchen you will find, most likely, salt, oil and garlic. Often only salt ... BC SY

Frank, if you're too tired to cook one day, or if you find that the kitchen really doesn't have anything, you'll probably find a menu del día (set menu) at one of the local cafes or restaurants that costs anywhere from 8 - 15€. They usually have a decent amount of food, and then you can buy groceries/ snacks for the rest of the day. If you must be frugal, Camino towns are good places to carry that out!
Buen Camino,
Faith

I think the recommendation to check the albergue when you get there is a good one. The albergue that I volunteered at had many spices, oils, vinegars, rice, pasta, canned goods, etc. that others had left. The pilgrims were always pleased to find out that they did not need to go out and purchase some of these staples.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not quite on your point, but a pilgrim from France brought a wonderful salt and gave it as a gift in the albergue where I was on duty. it lasted a long time and we made sure everyone knew it had been a gift...

The menu del dia is better than anything you can come up with on a shopping trip to a tienda and probably less expensive at the end of the day. Besides it is the best of the local cuisine. Now early morning breakfast that is another issue. You may not find an open cafe until 9, so taking Nescafe packets to add to boiled water might get you motor running in the morning. I hate them as much as I hate Starbucks but after years in the developing world they do work for me in a pinch.

The menu del dia is better than anything you can come up with on a shopping trip to a tienda and probably less expensive at the end of the day. Besides it is the best of the local cuisine.
Clearly, I chose the wrong eating establishments! o_O
While I did eat some very good pilgrim dinners (especially for the price!), by Finisterre I never wanted to see another overcooked cutlet or French fry again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Frank Mestre You might want to have a look at this thread: The electric coil saved my life! Normally there will be salt, oil and a few bits available, but without pans and utensils you won't get very far. A boil coil can be used to cook eggs in a cup, heat water for drinks and instant soups or dried meals. If you bring a cup, a coil, a plate, a spork and a good knife, you can shop accordingly and make salads, soups, egg mayo etc. Bring salt and spices in small pots (like from sets of empty flight-size containers - I use a 100ml bottle for salt mix on longer trips) and a few Oxo cubes for a warming soup base and add spring onions, cooked chicken or whatever you can find in the shop. Then if you end up somewhere with more equipment, you're winning!
Ordered Thank you. and metal cup and plate and cutlery. I hope they allow the cutlery on my cabin pack.?
Thanks

While I did eat some very good pilgrim dinners (especially for the price!), by Finisterre I never wanted to see another overcooked cutlet or French fry again!
Pilgrim dinner yuck!
Menu del dia around 2 to 3 is the meal of the day for every Spaniard, always regional and always fresh.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree that the menu del dia at the Spanish lunch hours is a great option, and I preferred to have my big meal then rather than in the evening. But some of the cooking done by the pilgrims in the albergue was outstanding (and they always offered to share with us!) and led to some wonderful communal meals.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I do agree with you especially on the french fries? I've never quite got it. white rice served with FF, russian salad served with FF, boiled potatoes served with FF. This is not just on the Camino, but is a world wide phenomena. Why?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back